Start by marking “Icebound” as Want to Read:
Icebound

Icebound

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Dr. Emilie Saunderson is driven to finish her late husband's research. Her quest brings her to Antarctica, where she hopes to find a measure of peace in the isolated and icy wilderness. It's the last place on earth she expects to be given a second chance at love.

Published (first published November 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Icebound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icebound

Jill
Oct 30, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Debut

Dr Emilie Saunderson is the new physician at South Pole Station, one of the U.S. scientific research facilities in Antarctica. After losing both her husband and her unborn baby, Emilie is still grieving but determined to complete a research project her late husband started. Tom Wolinski, is the SPS manager and also Emilie's medical assistant.

Firstly, huge thumbs-up for the setting in Antarctica. Very unusual. I've read a few books, mainly thrillers set there (eg. Ice Station by Mat
Tara Chevrestt
This is like a psychiatry lesson and contemporary romance in one. It addresses handling grief in the face of losing a loved one, feelings of guilt, sharing the 'blame,' and surviving a traumatic childhood. In the background is the trials and tribulations of surviving a winter in Antarctica.

Emilie is the one dealing with grief. She has lost her husband and is struggling to get past his death a year later. She's a doctor with "everything needed to treat every malady except her own. Loneliness wasn
Wendy S. Marcus
Jul 04, 2012 Wendy S. Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I would have liked an epilogue to show what happened a few months later. (Don't want to ruin the plot!) But other than that, a wonderful read.
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
This book was sooo alive it was like watching a movie.

Dr. Emilie Saunderson goes to Antarctica to finish the research her husband had been doing before his sudden death a year earlier. Still grieving over the loss of her husband she hopes that working in this frozen part of the world will help her accomplish this. But right off the bat stepping from the plane she gets lost in the blizzard and freezing cold and has to be rescued by Tom Wolinski, the Station manager who has a few of his own past
Maldivianbookreviewer
Icebound is the story that delivered me from the recent bout of doldrums that I have been suffering from in the world of romanceldia. From the opening page itself, Julie Rowe managed to entice me into turning the next page to find more on what Icebound could deliver.

Dr. Emilie Saunderson makes her way to the South Pole to finish the research her husband had been doing before his sudden death that still torments Emilie one year on. Still grieving over the loss of David and their unborn child, Emi
M.J. Fredrick
Dec 11, 2011 M.J. Fredrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, interesting read!
Kerry  sullivan
Dec 23, 2011 Kerry sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

This is what the book is about.
Tom Wolinski loves his work at the bottom of the world. Damaged by his dark past, he has vowed never to get close to anyone—a promise that's easy to keep
Trish
Feb 04, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiction; Romance

I really LOVED this book and thought it was a great way to kick off a new year of reading.

Dr. Emilie Saunderson arrives in Antartica as the new physician of the South Pole Station and also to finish a research project that her now deceased husband had started.

Tom Wolinski is the stations manager. This is his third year in Antartica. While strong and capable of running the operations of the station, as the Doctor and Tom become closer it quickly becomes apparent to Emilie
Christi Snow
Nov 14, 2011 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
I became completely immersed in this book. It is shorter...approximately 50,000 words vs the normal 100,000 for a full-length novel. But I was completely taken in by the story, to the point where I actually felt like I had seen a movie rather than read a book when it was finished. The imagery and the writing is so complete and lush and it wasn't even until looking back at the book that I realize what an effortless read this was for me as the reader. I could see every single detail of t
Lynne Marshall
Jan 20, 2012 Lynne Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-romance
I was very excited to read this debut contemporary romance by Julie Rowe since she is a fellow chapter mate at Heartbeat, RWA. I would categorize this wonderful story as a contemporary romantic adventure with strong medical elements. :) I loved how the first part of the book focused on Emilie and why she had come (run away to) Antarctica, and how by the middle of chapter two Ms. Rowe had deflected the spotlight from Emilie to Tom. Why had he come back to a god-forsaken ice cube four times? Well, ...more
Donnell Bell
Nov 18, 2011 Donnell Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I must assume, Author Julie Rowe didn't herself fly into Antarctica and get get lost in white out conditions, I must conclude she did amazing research. From the opening pages, we are swept into Dr. Emilie Saunderson's story of escaping her grief and the loss of her child, she decides to carry on her late husband's work. Here she meets paramedic and station manager, Tom Wolinski, South Pole Station Manager. The chemistry between Saunderson and Wolinski is immediate, as Emilie becomes hopele ...more
Donna Tunney
Mar 28, 2012 Donna Tunney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In mourning after the loss of her husband and unborn baby, Dr. Emilie Sanderson takes up residence at a remote outpost in Antarctica. Tom Wolinski, the hunky hero, is a polar (pun intended) opposite, who's on the run from the institutions of marriage and family.

The story is told completely from Emilie's point of view, so you learn Tom's secrets along with her--and uncover the reasons behind his fear of commitment. Along the way, there's a host of interesting facts about life in the Antarctic and
Amy R
Mar 18, 2012 Amy R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice (yet cold!) read. I think Julie Rowe did a really nice job with all the characters. The relationship between all of them seemed real for their situation. The book flows nicely and I read it in a little over 24 hours because I wanted to see how things would end up. The only thing I wished it had was more description of the station itself. I couldn't really picture the connecting points such as the cafeteria in relation to Club Med, the sleeping areas, etc.

I thought Emilie and Tom
Jeanette Grey

Halfway through the first chapter, I predicted this would be a four-star read. Julie Rowe's writing is tight, her POV is clear, and her characters were instantly compelling. There was a great sense of place, and the whole premise was colored by the unique setting. Instant winner.

In the end, I popped it down to 3.5 stars, though. I know this is a medical romance, but the emergencies and injuries just kept coming and coming. And while I really enjoyed Tom's character, the explanation for
Vanessa James-brooks
Icebound was a fantastic read~! I started to read it late last night and finished it today. Icebound is one of those books you just can not put down even if you tried lol. The two main people in this book are so made for echother, Dr. Emilie goes to the bottom of the world to finish her dead husbands legacy only to find Tom the man of her dreams but boy is she in for a rough ride with Tom. You have got to read this book it is an amazing book well written and I would re read it any day of the wee ...more
Jennifer Newman
Once I started I litrally couldn't put it down. I read the whole thing in one afternoon and have to admit that I loved it. The relationship between the whole group was really moving. Rowe is extremely talented with her mix of romance and medical science. My only complaint would be that the big project (one of the main reasons she went to Antarctica) was not mentioned very often, personally I would have liked to know a little more.
Excellent story would deffinatly recommend
Becky Condit
Dec 09, 2011 Becky Condit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the fact that Ms. Rowe’s ability to illustrate with words location and scene was such that I shivered in a warm house reading about the weather conditions the characters faced in Antarctica. Their small quarters, the deadly outdoors, and the dependence on each other were extremely well described. The sweet romance that overcomes obstacles and long-held personal beliefs leads to a very satisfying HEA.
See my complete review on http://www.mrsconditreadsbooks (Dec13)
Sheila Seabrook
Mar 25, 2012 Sheila Seabrook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bandit-creek
Icebound by Julie Rowe starts off with a bang. When Dr. Emilie Saunderson steps off the plane in the Antarctica and nearly freezes to death, she's rescued by hunky Tom Wolinski, station manager of the icebound facility.

And this is only the beginning of a book filled with humour, emotional depth, and the dangers caused by the harsh Antarctica temperatures. Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down. It's the perfect blend of action and romance!
Jessica B
3.5

I thought it was a great read with an unusual setting.

The romance was sweet and moved at a nice pace. While the story was shorter than a regular contemporary romance I did not find the story lacked anything.

All of the secondary characters were well formed and easy to form an attachment to. I would have loved to have gotten to know Emilie and Tom a little better but overall it was an enjoyable read!

Maureen Miller
Jan 07, 2012 Maureen Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Working in a tin can in the most frigid conditions imaginable you have nowhere to run from your emotions. Emilie and Tom can deny their attraction all they want, but there really is nowhere to run in a research base in Antarctica. What a refreshingly different book this was. Bravo to Julie Rowe for taking the readers to a new world they are not often privy to see.
Sheri
Apr 02, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books I can learn from and this one fit the bill. It's set in Antarctica, which jumps it to the peak of interesting. It was such an enjoyable read--I just wish it had been longer! It was fast paced with great dialogue and characters. I'd have loved even more description of the setting--the South Pole Station. A definite thumbs up!
Angie
Nov 19, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book about two lost souls finding themselves and each other in Antarctica! What I loved about this book besides the characters was the detail about how living is in the coldest part of the world! There is medical information as well. A good romance and an informative read!
Kari
May 09, 2013 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2013
I liked the story, it was a quick read. But I wish it was a bit longer. I'm not sure I bought the time frame. I think the personal transformations were a bit fast for me. I also would have like an epilogue or something more to see how they interacted off the ice.
Louse Behiel
Jan 21, 2012 Louse Behiel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a harlequin type romance that is totally engrossing. Not often i read a book where the setting is as important as any character but this is definitely true in the book, set in Antarctica. well done.
Nicole Luiken
Jul 02, 2012 Nicole Luiken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Fascinating Antarctic setting and a good romance. Both Emilie and Tom were strong, sympathetic characters who grew and changed, working out their problems. The medical scenes provided lots of tension.
The Romantic Scientist
Fast, entertaining read. My full review is here: http://scienceofromance.blogspot.com/...
Yvonne Carter
Feb 02, 2013 Yvonne Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her story as a doctor at the South Pole -- discovering she has breast cancer and has to treat herself.
Liza
Jun 04, 2012 Liza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid romance. Full review to come.
Kaetrin
Sep 14, 2012 Pamela rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
Total, utter crap.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Picture Perfect Wedding (Wedding Fever, #2)
  • Catch Me
  • House of Glass
  • Edge of Survival
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Driven by Fire
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Secret Admirer
  • A Lesson in Temptation (Stanton Family, #4)
  • Behind the Scenes
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Under Fire  (Under Fire #1)
  • Nightfall
  • Hot Shot
  • One Good Reason
  • Lost In Kakadu
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
Julie Rowe’s first career as a medical lab technologist in Canada took her to the North West Territories and northern Alberta, where she still resides. She loves to include medical details in her romance novels, but admits she’ll never be able to write about all her medical experiences because, “No one would believe them!” A double Golden Heart finalist 2006, Julie’s writing has appeared in severa ...more
More about Julie Rowe...