Start by marking “Broken Promise” as Want to Read:
Broken Promise

Broken Promise (The Brotherhood Series #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Regency Romance

Captain Austin Landwell lives with nightmares that torture him every day. So, when he’s given the chance to redeem himself and make the family he destroyed whole again, nothing will stand in his way except...his love for a woman who has the power to breathe life back into a heart he thought was dead.

Sarah Bentley is determined to honor the promise she made
Published (first published October 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Promise

Jacqueline
I liked the first half of this book better than the last half. I enjoyed the thing that caused the hero to feel he owed the Earl to find his son's wife. It caused a quite believable feeling of something owed. I liked the hero's job and his determination. I liked the way he stuck to his guns and stuck to the heroine, and the way he took care of her. I liked the intensity of the way the heroine cared about the boy. (view spoiler) ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
This was a kindle freebie. The second in The Brotherhood Series by Laura Landon. This one started off nicely with lots of potential but sadly slowed down for me.

Captain Austin Landwell has been tasked to find the Earl of Penderly's daughter-in-law. Instead, he finds Sarah Bentley, who he believes to be the daughter-in-law, and the Earl's grandson. But Sarah is not making his task easy and escapes.

It was a decent read and not bad at all but the second half just slowed down and wasn't keeping my
Alexa
Have you ever read a book that screamed girly writer??? That kept buzzing you with so many sugary descriptions of feelings and thoughts that you just feel the need to shout to the heroine "Get on with it already!" ?
That's how I felt while struggling to finish "Broken Promise". Because I do have the trait of being an obsessive-compulsive reader and need to finish each book I start. I just can't give it up even though it might turn my eyes into a yo-yo from the eye-rolling...

I got "Broken Promise"
P.
I didn't finish this book. In fact I didn't get very far. I just couldn't get around the fact that Landon had the French torturing their British allies during the Crimean war. FYI and according to Wiki: The Crimean War (October 1853 – February 1856) was a conflict in which Russia lost to an alliance of France, Britain, the Ottoman Empire, and Sardinia. One must hazard that wars are rarely won when allies take to torturing each other.
Sarah Peralta
I loved this book. I thought it was better than the first book in the brotherhood trilogy. Great author. Her books are right up my alley. Regency romance with suspense. What more could a girl want?
Hayley
I literally could not put this book down.

From the offset we see Captain Austin Landwell being held as a prisoner of war and see the nightmares that torture him throughout the book. He is asked to track someone down and discovers much more than he expected.

I loved the first scenes with Landwell and Sarah - the sparks between them were brilliantly described and from there I knew this book was going to be a ‘read in one sitting’.

The emotions in the book were so well written and so vivid - I could
L.A. Miller
What I love most about Laura Landon's writing is that from the moment you read the first line she draws you into her world. She creates a vivid image of another time and her characters come to life before you. You feel every emotion and at times your heart is left raw with pain as two souls struggle to find happiness. You cry when you learn of their despair and sacrifices and you rejoice when love finally overcomes all. This is a great follow up in her Brotherhood series where once again old cha ...more
~Leslie~
I received this book from the author to read and review. I have never read any of her novels before and didn't know what to expect. I have to say that I was thoroughly surprised. I enjoyed this novel alot. The characters were interesting and well written and the storyline was different. I have to admit I'm always a sucker for the tortured returned home soldier hero, and Austin fit the bill perfectly. He is asked to find a woman and when he does, he gets embroiled in a mystery. Sarah is a wonderf ...more
Rachel
Full disclosure--I won this book through FirstReads.

Books from small presses can be hit or miss, with more falling into the miss category it unfortunately seems. But this nice romance is one of the decent hits out there. The characters are developed adequately and the plot is uncluttered and well progressed. As you read, you want the characters of Austin and Sarah together, and though to our modern sensiblities, what keeps them apart may feel a bit like they're only creating their own obstacles,
Dilys
I won this on giveaways so not my normal read.
Mid 19th century regency romantic mystery. Lord & Lady Penderly disown their eldest son & heir Gregory when he has a relationship with an actress Collette Flemming. After Gregory gets killed in an accident Lord Penderly wants to make amends with Gregory,s widow but she,s disappeared. He hires Austin who was a captain in the crimea & now an investigator to search for her. This is a lovely & enjoyable read.
Dawn Bursey
This book captured from page 1. I could not put it down. I have not read any of Laura Landons books before, but intend to now. I do not giive 5 stars very easily and this one was by far a 5 star. I would recommend this book to any romance reader.
Loree Peery
Laura Landon hooked me from page one and I read 3/4 of this book in one sitting. I empathized all the way to the end with Austin and Sarah and their decisions throughout the plot.
Megan
Too much back to back repetition & sometimes the characters didn't act true to form but there were parts that really pulled me in.
Lauren
Fantastic book great story. Loved reading about liddy from book 1. Now to book 3 :)
Jennifer Collard
Jennifer Collard marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Michele Stewart
Michele Stewart marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Shannon Burke
Shannon Burke marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Marlene Padilla
Marlene Padilla marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Nancy Girone
Nancy Girone marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Beth added it
Jul 23, 2014
  • Texas Hold Him
  • With this Kiss
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • A Scandalous Past (Scandalous, #4)
  • To Seduce an Earl (Seduction, #1)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • To Desire a Scoundrel (Southern Heat, #2)
  • The Pleasures of Sin
  • Conor's Way
  • Twice a Rake
  • The Devil's Dime (The Samaritan Files #1)
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
  • Lucien's Fall
  • Hawks Mountain
  • Lord Scandal (Rakes of London #2)
  • Seduced at Sunset (Pembroke Palace Series #6)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
Laura Landon taught high school for ten years before leaving the classroom to open her own ice-cream shop. As much as she loved serving up sundaes and malts from behind the counter, she closed up shop after penning her first novel. Now she spends nearly every waking minute writing, guiding her heroes and heroines to find their happily ever afters.

She is the author of more than a dozen historical n
More about Laura Landon...
Intimate Deception Silent Revenge Shattered Dreams A Matter of Choice The Most to Lose