Start by marking “The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse, #1)

The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  5,055 ratings  ·  520 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Riley Williams has been able to see ghosts since the car crash that took her mother’s life and shattered her family. Guilt-ridden over the belief that she’s somehow responsible for her mom’s death, Riley is desperate to see her mother’s elusive spirit to gain her forgiveness.

When her father moves the family to Scotland so they can all start over, Riley be
Published October 1st 2011 by Julia Templeton (first published June 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Deepest Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deepest Cut

The Opportunist by Tarryn FisherThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayReason to Breathe by Rebecca DonovanThoughtless by S.C. StephensGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Books You've Never Heard of....
83rd out of 926 books — 1,651 voters
Obsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesSignificance by Shelly Crane
Best YA Romance
108th out of 990 books — 1,379 voters

More lists with this book...

The Holy Terror
This was a buddy read with Lucy, Wendy, and SubCat, and before anyone gets the idea that we picked this to "tear it apart," we were all really excited to start this. I have to say though, that I hated this book.

This had so much potential to be good: a controversial topic, a girl who can see and talk to ghosts, Scotland and an old inn and castle for a setting ... and yet it fell ridiculously short. If you only read the synopsis you could skip the first third of the book, because not much else ha
Giselle
If you thought Anna Dressed in Blood was scary - It has Nothing on this one! Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Anna and thought it was creepy and a lot of fun. But seriously scary? Not really. The Deepest Cut gives us an actual spine-chilling ghost story that will make your hair stand on end. Kind of like the equivalent of this: http://www.fotokristall.narod.ru/mov0...

Riley has been able to see ghosts since her mom died a few months ago. To start over, her family moves to Scotland in a great b
Brittain (Tara Belle Talking)
I really need to stop rating books right after I read them. I find that I am often too generous with the ones I truly disliked and later bump them down a star.

The Deepest Cut could have been great. It was an interesting idea that was held back by the writing style and the characterization of the leads. It's not often in a book where you end up truly disliking the main characters but that happened for me with this one.

Riley Williams and her family have moved to Scotland to escape their past. Her
Lady Raven RAVE!
If you’re a fan of the tv shows Ghost Whisper, Medium and Vampire Diaries then you will love this book. It has a feel of Ghost Whisper and Medium because the heroine of the story is able to see and talk to ghosts. In addition, it has a feel of Vampire Diaries without the vampires, no vampires in this book. I say it's more a feel of that show in the aspect of the teenagers, witches, diaries, a crush on a guy whose old, and history coming full circle in the future/present.

Riley
Riley is the heroin
J. Sterling
I really, REALLY liked & enjoyed this story! :)

I've read some of the other reviews where people didn't like how the love between Ian & Riley happened so quickly. I guess I just find it ironic that people choose to buy into a love story happening WITH a ghost, but it just can't happen fast? LOL Haven't we all met someone who sparked our interest, or made us feel things immediately, without any rhyme or reason? Or been drawn/pulled toward someone we just met? Things like that can and do ha
~Tina~

The Deepest Cut is one of those books I was really nervous about going into. For those of you who know me, know I don't do ghost well, but I still like the challenge. I want to like them. That's why I'm so happy to say that I loved this book. It has the perfect combination of freaky and heart. I had a blast reading this!

After the death of her mother, Riley Williams has a gift. She can see ghosts. When her father gets a new job in Scotland , Riley and her brother Shane are staring over a
Alex
Wow! I LOVED this book! I’ve got to say, it’s one of the better books I’ve read in a while (I tried and failed to read three books before I found this one). The ending was soooo sad! The characters are believable, and the sort that you want to get invested in. I’m a slow reader, but I found it hard to put this one down, and read it pretty fast – for me. I can’t wait to make a start on the second in the trilogy. My only wish was that the book was longer! Read it! Very much recommended!
Amanda T
I stumbled upon the Labor Day Indie Book Blowout and this was the first book to catch my eye, admittedly because I think the cover is beautiful. I was instantly hooked by the Kindle sample and quickly purchased it. Can I just say this book is a total steal at $0.99?!
As for the story--I really enjoyed it. A fairly quick read that was creative and interesting and I guess you could say delightfully creepy. I really like Riley, and even liked her foul-mouthed little brother :P This leads me to some
Erin
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! I LOVED this book!!! There are so many things that came together perfectly to make this such an awesome, addicting story. This is the first book by Templeton that I've read, and I'm fast becoming a huge fan of her writing.

This story throws you into a setting that is bone-chillingly creepy and intriguing at the same time, and I found myself immediately drawn to it. And where the characters could have fallen short of my expectations due to the exciting plot, they actually left m
Trisha Wolfe
I loved this story. It was bittersweet and passionate. Riley was easy to relate to. I would think to most teen girls and even to women. From the blurb, it sounds like cutting is a huge part of the book, and it is a big issue, but it’s not at all what dominates this story. I understood how Riley could find a release in the control of cutting, using it as her outlet after her mother’s death. She had a lot of guilt inside her, blaming herself for the accident. But as the story progresses, we see Ri ...more
SubterraneanCatalyst
Jan 24, 2012 SubterraneanCatalyst rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that is addicted to YA and wants an HEA no matter the filler.
This book started somewhat strong and ended with a WTF.

Riley, her younger brother, and Father make a move to Scotland. Mother has just died in a tragic car accident and Riley is the survivor. Riley can see spirits in the world now and she tries desperately to hide all signs of her ability since she's been treated like a mental patient since revealing this.

The Characters:
The relationship between Riley and her brother, Shane, is the high point. What I mean by this is that: it's the most realistic
Andrea
The Deepest Cut is the story of Riley, a teenage girl who sees ghosts. In an effort to make a fresh start after her mother's death, Riley's father moves her, and her brother, Shane to live in a centuries old inn in Scotland. As it happens, the inn Riley's family occupies and the castle next door are haunted, one of the ghosts is a nineteen-year-old Ian MacKinnon, breathtakingly handsome,who was murdered over two hundred years prior.

Hello? The Deepest Cut had me at girl who sees ghosts, castles,
Debbie (at) I Heart YA Books
The Deepest Cut is an amazingly beautiful love story. J.A Templeton’s writing is truly beautiful. The tenderness Templeton shows between Riley and Ian made my heart fall in love with them. Riley and Ian's love had me crying, hoping, and longing that they would find a way to be together. Templeton has a gift for writing heart-melting love. Riley and Ian broke my heart with their love that could never be.

Riley lost her mother in a car crash, and Riley feels responsible for her mom's death. The gui
Lucy
Mar 14, 2012 Lucy marked it as did-not-finish
I'm sorry, guys. Every time I attempted to get any further in this book my brain threatened to cease functioning. The writing is exceedingly choppy and unfocused. The plot is about as unimaginative as one can get. I don't like any of the other characters enough to force myself further.
Sony
A pleasant surprise, this book restored my faith in the YA genre. I had all but given up hope.

A girl named Riley loses her mom, and her family moves to Scotland, where she encounters a few ghosts. One of them is named Ian, and she falls in love with him. There's a problem though. Another girl likes Ian too, and she just so happens to be dead and very dangerous.

This could have been a cheesy 'Twilight-like' story about a loner being romanced and stalked by a supernatural being, and some times it
Book Whales
Originally posted @ Book Whales

What will do if you love someone you can't have?
Would you fight for it?
or Would you let go?

Wow, no words can really describe this book. This book is spectacular!. It was well executed and the story is believable. The author did a good job in describing the inn, castle, cemetery and the history of the MacKinnon's . I was deeply engrossed in the world she made, Scotland is the perfect place for this.
The characters are realistic. I connected to Riley instantly.
Rachel Naddeo
I have to admit that at first I thought this book would be like The Mediator by Meg Cabot. I don't know if you read this series but the story in Mediator is really similar, but the outcome totally different. And I must say I loved the difference! This book should totally get more attention, since it definitely made my list of best books this year. It's not like other books in which the romance is so obvious and going to end well no matter the obstacles in the way. The Deepest Cut has everything ...more
Gm_andy
This one had so much potential *sigh* But I wasn't interested in any of the characters at all.
I spent the first 1/3 of the book wanting to know about the spiritual world this author had created, the other 2/3 I didn't care anymore (And I never got straight answers). That wouldn't have mattered, if at least one of the characters were likeable, deep, realistic... but for me Templeton needs a better understanding of the teenage mind. Despite all, I still wanted to get to the end, because sometimes
Husnaa
OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! Holy Mother Craperolies!! The ending :O This so requires a sequel! And I need it asap!

This book is pretty much EXACTLY the kinda ghost book I like. The girl falls in love with the guy ghost even tho it can't be cause he's already dead but the whole Kade thing was a really awesome thinG! This way I don't feel so heartbroken about Ian.

I felt really sorry for Riley, her mom dies then she can see ghosts. That could suck for anyone :/

Anyway, this book is def awesome!! I started my
SheLove2Read
All I can say is WOW! I had a terrible time putting this one down. More of a mystery than a romance but there was a definite romantic (but clean) element to the story. The heroine you just instantly connected with and felt her pain. The story was fascinating and the creepy elements were downright horror movie scary. There is an HEA but it's left open ended with a bit of a twist. You won't be disappointed and I cannot wait for the sequel!
Alyssa Rose Ivy
One test of a really good book is whether you feel like you know the narrator by the end. Templeton’s Riley felt like a good friend by the time I finished reading. Take Riley and mix her with some other fantastic characters, a descriptive setting and a wonderful intensity and you get an amazing result. I am excited to see where the series goes next.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jan 07, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) marked it as to-read
Free today @ Kobo & Amazon US. B&N is offering for 99 cents.
My Book Friend
Riley's life changed more in one moment than in her entire life. Her mom is gone, and she suddenly has the ability to see dead people. Riley knows it is her fault her family has changed completely, and life really doesn't have meaning anymore becaue of it.

When she meets Ian, his interest in her was really not called for. He's a ghost, and probably has not talked to anyone in 200 years. While there might be a chance that Ian is just enjoying the company, it becomes so much more to Riley. For the
Carina
My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
After having read other bloggers' reviews I expected this to be a suspenseful and creepy read and I definitely wasn't disappointed. With an intriguing setting and a ghost that makes me want to hide beneath my bed covers, J.A. Templeton managed to create an addicting novel which I can definitely recommend for lovers of paranormal Young Adult stories.

More detailed:
The Deepest Cut tells Riley Williams' story who moves with her father and her brother to a small town
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
How far would you go for true love?
Would you fight for it?
Would you love them enough to let them go forever?

These are the questions that plague Riley when she meets Ian, a Scottish (and did I mention hot?) ghost that haunts her house.

Ian is cursed and therefore is bound to the house until someone can break it, and that someone just so happens to be Riley.
But what happens when Riley falls in love with him and doesn't want him to go? When she can't bear to be without him. When the one person that
Love2read
3.5 stars.
Overall a quick and easy to read story. YA with a strong theme, maybe not suitable for really young readers.

Plot:
This is the story about a girl named Riley who sees ghosts. She moves to Ireland with her father and brother after her mother passes away and she meets a very handsome ghost, a boy who died at age 19. Her and ghost work together in order to solve a mystery. You need to read the story in order to find out the rest...

Review:
While I like the plot, I must say that the story co
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
Although there is a ghost story within these pages (a rather interesting one at that) I really enjoyed the story because of Riley. She's lost her mother recently in a car crash. She feels responsible for the accident and has begin cutting herself as a result to "ease the pain" I think that combining a very common factor in contemporary teen reads today along with the supernatural element of ghosts made the story unique and interesting.
Riley finds comfort in Ian. He wants to get rid of the bond
Megan
The Deepest Cut is a cute little ghost story, but unfortunately it seems to be an age appropriate YA book, rather than the sort of YA which an adult can appreciate. Ever since Riley barely survived the car crash which killed her mother, she has been able to see and communicate with ghosts. Naturally, this freaks her a little bit, and she ignores them to the best of her ability.

Looking to start over after the crash, Riley's dad decides to move to a big, old inn in Scotland. Conveniently, dad's j
Jodi
I am glad this book was free. I was really hoping for a creepy, scary ghost story. This is partly my fault, I didn't read the description of the book before I read it. I just looked at the title, the cover and comments from others about freaky ghost stories.

(view spoiler)
Sara
I feel so upset after finishing this book!! I was so emotionally invested then it just ended! :'( Very disappointing that I have to wait until Lord knows when for the next book because I truly loved this story!! I could literally turn around and re-read it right now and I'd still love it!!

I liked that Riley was a real teenager dealing with her grief the best way she knew how. I liked that Riley and Shane both seemed to be real life kids who argue and get on each others' nerves but they also stu
the whole series 13 5 Apr 06, 2015 04:49PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Deepest Cut by J.A. Templeton / Start Date: July 10, 2013 35 24 Jul 17, 2013 05:34AM
BookSpark: The Deepest Cut by J.A. Templeton Giveaway 1 8 Nov 20, 2011 12:31AM
  • Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Wraith (Wraith, #1)
  • Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Entangled (Spellbound, #1)
  • Mesmerized
  • Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)
  • Drip Drop Teardrop
J.A. Templeton is the YA/New Adult pen name for adult romance author Julia Templeton. A psychic medium, Julia loves history, travel, and reading in every subgenre of romance, especially young and new adult.
More about J.A. Templeton...

MacKinnon Curse (3 books)
  • The Haunted (MacKinnon Curse, #2)
  • The Departed (MacKinnon Curse, #3)
The Haunted (MacKinnon Curse, #2) The Departed (MacKinnon Curse, #3) Thin White Line (Badboy Rockers, #1) The MacKinnon Curse (MacKinnon Curse, #0.5) Ryder's Redemption (Badboy Rockers, #2)

“The urge to cut still pulled at me. Would I always have this urge? I wondered. Would I be like an alcoholic constantly fighting the desire to drink?” 11 likes
“If only he knew how little I cared about living.” 8 likes