Start by marking “Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?” as Want to Read:
Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?

Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The bedtime ritualsof little diggers and dump trucks at a construction site should be quite familar to kids saying goodnight. Young readers will identify with fire engines, tractors and monster trucks as the vehicles ask for one more storywhiletheir mommy trucks tuck them in, and their daddy trucks sing a goodnight song. Children who can't get enough of trucks will love Br ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?

Kathryn
Inferior to "Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site" in both story and illustrations. Still, okay for the kiddos who really love trucks and want another truck-based bedtime story. This one goes beyond construction equipment and includes other types of vehicles.
Kristi Betts
Diggers, dump, garbage, monster, fire trucks, cranes, and other large vehicles are personified in this bedtime story. Written almost entirely in rhyming questions, each two page spread ponders where each of the pieces of machinery sleeps at night. One of my favorites is the tractor, "Where do tractors sleep at night after plowing all day long? Do their dads sing "Old TruckDonald" for a barnyard bedtime song?" The car transporter page is a little misleading, I think. It shows a picture of a car t ...more
Mama
My 3yr old loves this book.
He requests it every night as the last book we read.

Where do;
Diggers, dump trucks, garbage trucks, monster trucks, fire trucks, tow trucks, car carriers, cranes, tractors, semi trucks, and your trucks, sleep at night?

Matthew
A great play on words throughout the pages. There is a little adult humor that you can enjoy. The pictures are friendly and detailed giving you kid time to really take in the book and sink in what you are reading to them. My son absolutely is infatuated with excavators, garbage trucks, monster trucks, etc. This book was right up his alley.
Habrewer
This book does a good job of engaging the children in bedtime activities. It looks at all different types of cars and trucks and asks the question, where do they sleep at night? Are they tucked in by their mother’s? Do they have a favorite blanket?

It was a very cute book with colorful illustrations of cars and trucks that look like people with eyes and mouths. It is easy for the children to relate to them. The ending was very cute and all the toys are in the toy box when the little boy is being
Wooden Horse
Oops! I thought I had borrowed Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Siteand got in trouble when I didn't produce the right title. The little guy kept asking for it. I guess I know what we'll be reading next week!

This title reminded me of How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?. There was a similar rhythm to the rhymes. I liked that there was a great diversity of trucks and both "Mommy" trucks and "Daddy" trucks tucking helping their little ones get to bed.
Sylvester
2* art
3* story/rhyme

I like this genre of bedtime books for boys. The whole mommy/daddy machine putting baby machine to bed is kind of weird, but hey.
Shelley
This is a good bedtime book for little truck lovers. I particularly liked the eyelashes on the Mother Crane.
Sunnyvale Librarian
This is the perfect bedtime story for young truck enthusiasts. Author Sayres' humorous rhyming text and illustrator Slade's illustrations work in unison to delight both child and parent..."Where do diggers sleep at night? Do they dream of holes they dug? Do their moms reach from front to backhoe when they give a good-night hug?"
Read  Ribbet
After giving Goodnight Construction Site one of our 2012 IRA nods, I was surprised to see this book in the same vein. Missing the great illustrations of Tom Lichtenheld, these are a bit more cartoonish and the rhyming verses are a little less focused, but still might be a fun settling down book for certain kids at night.
Heather
So very clearly trying to be Good Night, Good Night, Construction Site (and even using the same color palette in the illustrations) but missing the mark. Not awful, but nothing special. I hate to diss a picture book, but this was done first & done amazingly by Sherri Dusky Rinker & Tom Lichtenheld.
A Full Bookshelf
This was a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway! Thank you.

This book was cute! It reminded me of a couple other books, but it is one I will be reading to kids again. The illustrations were really cute and it was almost more fun to go through and talk about those than to read the story!
Danielle Butler
I think this book is really good to read to children to get them to think outside the box. There are tons of open-ended questions in this book that could be used for great conversation starters or writing material. The illustrations in this story are also very cute.
Alison
I won this book in a Goodreads FirstReads Giveaway. My husband and I both liked the book and the kids are big fans too. A fun, settle down, bedtime read with cute illustrations. I also appreciated the cute, very brief note signed by the author.
Shelli
Thank goodness I had a girl that had zero interest in cars and trucks, because books like this would bore the stuffing out of me. However, if you have a child that LOVES all things that go vrooom, they will love this bedtime book.
The Library Lady
This is derivative of several other books and the rhyme falters at times. Nor am I crazy about anthropomorphized trucks. Nonetheless, this will serve well as an additional truck book for the sort of kid who loves trucks, no matter what.
I think I thought this was a different construction goodnight story, but it was cute and sweet. Kids who can't get enough of construction machines will love it, though I thought it might be a little saccharine.
Meg Allison
This book will surely have legions of fans - most especially those that are about three years old and male. Bonus points for mentioning monster trucks and alternating between goodnight wishes from both moms and dads.
Julie
I got this for my 3 year old's birthday. It's very cute but some of the rhymes are clunky. Hard to read the print on the dark pages by nightlight, too! But he likes the pictures and diversity of machinery.
Janet
Not my favorite truck/machine book. Text just doesn't seem to flow and I would not enjoy reading it aloud to a young one. But, it is a truck book that many young boys will love.
Fitchburg Public Library
A very fun book for kids into trucks, and construction equipment especially. The rhythm is soothing, and this makes for a good toddler bedtime story. - Reviewed by Allison C.
Samantha
Think How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and substitute trucks. Full color illustrations and rhyming rhythmic text make this a good read aloud/bedtime story.
Wendy Garland
What a fantastic read for a car, truck, digger, and fire engine enthusiast! Adorable pictures humanize these vehicles. Fantastic bedtime story!
Emerson
Of course he loves this book. But it is a shameful rip off of Good night good night construction site! Same story. Similar art. Very similar.
Marianne
This is a super-cute book that was a big hit with the small sons of my friends that I sent copies to! Can't wait for Brianna's next book! :)
Wendy Kuzma
In the same format as the How Do Dinosaurs... books, this would be great for pj storytime or a construction/truck themed storytime.
Jennifer Hess
Adorable illustrations. Great bedtime read. Simple rhyming just perfect for sending my boys off to bed with sweet dreams.
Janae
So similar to "Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site". It's the exact same idea and equally as cute:)
Jen
Jun 11, 2012 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
aw. super cute. not just about diggers though. It's all about all kinds of trucks. Good bed time story.
  • Demolition
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Construction Kitties
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Hot Rod Hamster