Demolition

Demolition

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  98 reviews
What's even more exciting to preschoolers than seeing big machines that build things? Watching
the massive ones that tear them down!

Crush the stone. Crush the stone.
Chip and grind and munch.
Make new concrete from the old.
Whirr! Churr! Crunch!

From the huge crane with a swinging ball (crack! ) to the toothy jaws that ram the walls (thwock! ), this rambunctious demolition,...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Demolition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demolition

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee BurtonGoodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey RinkerI'm Dirty! by Kate McMullanDigger, Dozer, Dumper by Hope VestergaardThe Construction Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta
Picture Books about Construction Vehicles
7th out of 61 books — 11 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
120th out of 136 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Cherie
From my 5 year old son Ben:
It was good! I would give it 10 stars! I liked reading about the construction site because I like construction. I liked how they painted the pictures.

From my 2 year old son Eli:
He kept repeating the sounds from each page (Rip! Roar!, etc) and laughing and he kept pointing at the trucks on each page. After we were done he had fun flipping through the pages on his own.

From me:
This was a really fun book about the demolition of an old building so a new playground can be...more
Gwen the Librarian
This is the PERFECT "truck" book. The rhyming text describes what each machine does, rather than stating what it is or how it looks. There is great, non-repetitive onomatopoeia on every page, so this adult doesn't get bored reading it. Just as I was wishing it did actually say what each machine was somewhere on the page, I found the back matter that covers it all. This feature is great because it makes the book perfect for big machine aficionados who are tired of books that just name machines, b...more
Margaux
This one went over really well with the kiddos today at my Preschool Pals storytime. We're working on our construction terminology because of the renovation we're experiencing at Messenger, so this book really is awesome for my purposes (cue maniacal laugh). It's super repetitive and has lots of construction sounds and vehicles depicted. At the end, there's a page that pulls out all of the machines featured in the book and tells a fact about them. In the words of one of my kiddos, "look at all t...more
Jim Erekson
I like this as an example of a concept book. Like Machines at Work by Byron Barton or Machines Go to Work in the City, by William Low--but this one just focuses on demolition. The one page of back matter describes in labeled diagram the specific tools used for the job in the story.

The text uses onomatopoeia for each rhyming presentation of a moment in a building demolition--although a lot of it is focused on salvage rather than demolition. Of course, it would be a salvage company doing the demo...more
David
Demolition by Sally Sutton, illustrated by {author: Brian Lovelock] follows a demolition crew and their big machines as they demolish, recycle, and clean up a site, followed by new construction.

Lovelock's bright illustrations portray lots of demolition action. The double page spreads are quite effective and large enough for group read-alouds. My favorite illustrations are swing the ball, work the jaws, falling walls, crushing stone, and sorting steel.

Bang! Clang! Crack! Rip! Roar! Crash! Thud!...more
Barbara
Filled with pigmented ink illustrations showing plenty of action and engaging language describing that action, this title perfectly depicts the sounds of a building being destroyed by the big machines necessary for such a task. From the moment the wrecking ball strikes a structure to when the concrete has been crushed and debris hauled away to provide a space for something new to be built, the language is engaging and fun to say; for instance, the author describes the "thump and smash and whack"...more
babyhippoface
This colorful picture book traces the process of demolishing a building and replacing it with a playground. It begins with the workers suiting up, shows the wrecking ball smashing the top floors, then follows it up with different machines used to finish destroying the building and removing the rubble, then ends with more workers constructing a "big toy" for a new playground.

Each spread shows a different machine performing its specific function alongside simple rhyming text that tells what the m...more
Laurie
A preschool favourite, as evidenced by the book being added to the "bed library" kept under the blankets for bedtime reading. Bright colours and well-illustrated big machines appealed to our under 5 "crew". The rhyming format is easy to read, easy to understand. For every young child who loves to see things torn down.
Tasha
There has been a movement recently to create some very original and fresh construction and truck books. Before that, it was a bit of a desert of naming big trucks, telling how they work, and leaving it at that. This book is one of the best of those new, fresh books about construction vehicles. In rhyming lines, it tells the story of the demolition of a building. It begins with the people getting ready, moves to the wrecking ball, then the excavator and its tearing jaws. There are stone crushers...more
Fjóla
Jun 16, 2012 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2 - 6 year olds, all lovers of mighty machines
This is a brand new book we saw on display at the library. My son loves everything "truck" and he's watched every single episode of Mighty Machine at least three times, so we couldn't pass over a truck book. But I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this one. Each page spread focuses on one part of the demolition process and the machines involved. The emphasis is on recycling the materials, and some of them go into the building of a playground that we watch take shape at the end of the bo...more
Michael
Little guys, big trucks. A match made in heaven. But even better than watching huge machines make stuff is watching them knock stuff down. And wait for the twist at the end!
For more great picture books for little guys, see: http://www.talestoldtall.com/B4BPictu...
Sylvester
5* art
5* story

Squirt loves "Roadwork" so much that this one can't possibly be as awesome - but almost! These are fantastic books - repetition, rhyme, machines of all kinds, and truly wonderful illustrations. Hard to beat.
Kellylou
I can think of many young readers that would love the words and illustrations in this book! Filled with awesome sights and tons of action, this will be one they want to be read over and over again.
Great board book for toddlers who like to voice loud noises. And cool to read about machines and people who destroy buildings to build a playground! City setting that needs introduced to rural kids like mine.
Asho
Just like the other Sutton book we recently read, Roadwork, this one has fun sound effects and an energetic rhyme scheme. However, something about demolition just makes me sad. I know the book ends happily and shows the old materials being repurposed, and I know demolition is usually just an innocuous part of construction projects (which is how its depicted in this book), but I guess I was feeling particularly morbid when I read this because I couldn't stop thinking about all the demolition work...more
Donna Martin
Nice book for young readers ages 4-8 to learn more about what is involved in tearing down a building. Colorful illustrations and nice surprise ending.
Bunnyjadwiga
From the author of Roadwork comes this lively rhyming text about knocking down a building. The illustrations are colorful and clear, and while the rhythms are sometimes strained, the onomatopoetic "whizz, bang, crash..." terms at the end of each page's rhymes are not. The activity includes sorting and recycling materials from the destroyed building, followed by a brief construction of a playground. (It might have felt more balanced with several more pages devoted to the steps to the playground c...more
Sara Harrison
Aubrey is obsessed with this books. She is loving the machines. And the simple plot. And the delightful rhthym of the text. She chants it all day.
Betsy
This is sort of the antithesis to Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site albeit in a good way. Where Goodnight, Goodnight is all sweet dreams and soft colors, Demolition is bright colors and lots of action as machines tear down a building to build a playground. Onomatopoeia, good rhyme, plus the illustrations make this a book truck-lovin' preschoolers will love. The back page has a nice factual account of the different machines/parts used for those who want to know what things are.
jacky
Liked how this was the opposite of most truck books by focusing on demolition rather than construction. William likes it.
Melanie
A new storytime favorite! Right off the bat I noticed that the illustrator included WOMEN construction workers! Way to go for gender equality!

This a fantastic rhyming text that has wonderful rhythm. The first line of each page is repeated and action text follows So: "Swing the ball. Swing the ball. Thump and smash and whack. Bring the top floors tumbling down. Bang! CLANG! CRACK!"

Kids will be rocking to the fun sounds in this text as well as enjoying joining in on the whams and bams! Readers wil...more
Mckinley
Not just demolition but also creation. Lots of noises and sounds to read aloud.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: My neighbor’s five year old son loved the illustrations and the �sound effects� that accompanied the text.

Big Kid Reaction: If you love big equipment and construction machines this is a very cool book. I liked the section at the end of the book where the equipment was pictured again along with their technical names and the functions they fulfilled.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Bree
Notes:
this book has only a bit of demo and then they build a playground
her first book Roadwork is so much better!
The perfect book for preschoolers obsessed with machines. We all know little boys who love nothing more than dump trucks, back hoes, and other digging machines.

"Work the jaws. Work the jaws/ Bite and tear and slash./ Dinosaurs had teeth like this!/ Rip! ROAR! CRASH!"

A totally fun read aloud for groups or one-on-one. While this book isn't a 5 for every reader, it is sure to be a favorite with those kids who love machines. The repetition of the story and sounds will appeal to active listeners.
Renee
Summary: This picture book follows the demolition of a building as well as the construction of something entirely different in its place.

I was so excited to see that Sutton and Lovelock had another book out since both my son and I love their first book Roadwork.

I would agree that is almost as great at the first. Great rhythm and flow, go book to chant, and great action sounds for the varied trucks in the book. These trucks demolish a building and create a playground.

Good for Prek storytime.
Melissa
A nice forward motion throughout the book, both in terms of the sequence of actions of tearing down a building, as well as the recycling of the materials to new purposes. The rhymes are well done, though I always have a hard time reading onomatopeia words like this in verse--I want to say them with the same pacing as the rest of the lines, but I physically can't say them that fast! The illustrations are detailed and precise and remind me a little of Donald Crews.
Maya
My boys love Sutton's book, Roadwork, and this has the exact same rhyming formula and artist as that book, so this was an instant hit. They can't get enough of studying how all the machines work, what the workers are wearing, what's happening with the demolition in the pictures, and what the sound effect words mean. I can't say I love reading this aloud as much as they love hearing it, but it makes them so happy I have to give it 4 stars.
Bruce
An old building is demolished by a husky working crew and their giant machines to make way for a playground. And it’s all done with a “Bang! CLANG! CRACK!” and a “Rip! ROAR! CRASH!” Lovelock’s bold and bright two-page spreads illuminate Sutton’s loud words and lively narrative in a way that’s sure to delight their readers. The last page contains the names of the big machines used in the demolition.
  • Machines Go to Work in the City
  • Heroes of the Surf
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Step Gently Out
  • underGROUND
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Digger, Dozer, Dumper
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
Sally Sutton is an Auckland playwright and children’s writer. Her first picture book, "Crazy Kiwi Tops and Tails", was published by Penguin in 2006. "Roadworks" will be her third picture book. She lives in the bush-clad suburb of Birkenhead with her husband and children
More about Sally Sutton...
Roadwork Farmer John's Tractor Construction Diary of a Pukeko Diary of a Bat