Start by marking “Demolition” as Want to Read:
Demolition

Demolition

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  559 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
What's even more exciting to preschoolers than seeing big machines that build things? Watching
the massive ones that tear them down!

Crush the stone. Crush the stone.
Chip and grind and munch.
Make new concrete from the old.
Whirr! Churr! Crunch!

From the huge crane with a swinging ball (crack! ) to the toothy jaws that ram the walls (thwock! ), this rambunctious demolition,
Published February 14th 2012 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Demolition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demolition

Jun 14, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: noahs-books
This is a bright board book, suitable for pre schoolers. We learn about how construction works and find out what is being built at the very end! The words create a rhyming pattern you can turn into a singalong. The illustrations are perhaps a bit old fashioned but still entirely lovely all the same.
Cherie
Dec 22, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
From my 5 year old son Ben:
It was good! I would give it 10 stars! I liked reading about the construction site because I like construction. I liked how they painted the pictures.

From my 2 year old son Eli:
He kept repeating the sounds from each page (Rip! Roar!, etc) and laughing and he kept pointing at the trucks on each page. After we were done he had fun flipping through the pages on his own.

From me:
This was a really fun book about the demolition of an old building so a new playground can be
Gwen the Librarian
Apr 03, 2012 Gwen the Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This is the PERFECT "truck" book. The rhyming text describes what each machine does, rather than stating what it is or how it looks. There is great, non-repetitive onomatopoeia on every page, so this adult doesn't get bored reading it. Just as I was wishing it did actually say what each machine was somewhere on the page, I found the back matter that covers it all. This feature is great because it makes the book perfect for big machine aficionados who are tired of books that just name machines, b ...more
Bethany Mcguirk
Oct 19, 2014 Bethany Mcguirk rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Sutton, S. (2012). Demolition. Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.

Choice
2013 ALA Notable Children’s Book

This creative story takes the reader through the sounds and images of a construction site. With large print and action packed illustrations, this book would make an excellent read aloud for preschool through 2nd grade students. In addition, I think upper elementary aged students, especially boys, will enjoy this story because it presents factual information about construction work in
Lgourley
Nov 12, 2014 Lgourley rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
BAM! CRASH! SLAM! SMASH! Great for boys and girls! Demolition is all about construction. See what the machines can do and what they will build.

This book is great for discussing onomatopoeia (sound words) to students. Informing them that with out those words the story would be pretty boring. Onomatopoeia brings life to the story. The students will discuss the story together as a class. Then they will write a short story using onomatopoeia words and tell us what they would create if they could op
Margaux
Sep 16, 2014 Margaux rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This one went over really well with the kiddos today at my Preschool Pals storytime. We're working on our construction terminology because of the renovation we're experiencing at Messenger, so this book really is awesome for my purposes (cue maniacal laugh). It's super repetitive and has lots of construction sounds and vehicles depicted. At the end, there's a page that pulls out all of the machines featured in the book and tells a fact about them. In the words of one of my kiddos, "look at all t ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Sep 05, 2015 Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney rated it really liked it
In any children's collection, you need to have several good truck books. Some little boys and girls only want to look at books with trucks in them. Demolition is a very well done truck picture book for PreK-K age group. Each page is filled with a different machine doing part of a demolition and construction job and has the sounds the truck would make. This can make it fun to read together because you can make the noises. If you are looking for a book about trucks, Demolition is the way to go.
Jim Erekson
Apr 14, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
I like this as an example of a concept book. Like Machines at Work by Byron Barton or Machines Go to Work in the City, by William Low--but this one just focuses on demolition. The one page of back matter describes in labeled diagram the specific tools used for the job in the story.

The text uses onomatopoeia for each rhyming presentation of a moment in a building demolition--although a lot of it is focused on salvage rather than demolition. Of course, it would be a salvage company doing the demo
David
May 18, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Demolition by Sally Sutton, illustrated by {author: Brian Lovelock] follows a demolition crew and their big machines as they demolish, recycle, and clean up a site, followed by new construction.

Lovelock's bright illustrations portray lots of demolition action. The double page spreads are quite effective and large enough for group read-alouds. My favorite illustrations are swing the ball, work the jaws, falling walls, crushing stone, and sorting steel.

Bang! Clang! Crack! Rip! Roar! Crash! Thud!
Barbara
Apr 09, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Filled with pigmented ink illustrations showing plenty of action and engaging language describing that action, this title perfectly depicts the sounds of a building being destroyed by the big machines necessary for such a task. From the moment the wrecking ball strikes a structure to when the concrete has been crushed and debris hauled away to provide a space for something new to be built, the language is engaging and fun to say; for instance, the author describes the "thump and smash and whack" ...more
babyhippoface
This colorful picture book traces the process of demolishing a building and replacing it with a playground. It begins with the workers suiting up, shows the wrecking ball smashing the top floors, then follows it up with different machines used to finish destroying the building and removing the rubble, then ends with more workers constructing a "big toy" for a new playground.

Each spread shows a different machine performing its specific function alongside simple rhyming text that tells what the m
Aleece
Mar 20, 2015 Aleece rated it it was amazing
A demolition crew is in charge of tearing down an old building with all different types of construction equipment and then building something new out of the old parts.

This is a great book on how to recycle the different types of materials like wood, metal and stone and how they can be used to make new and different things. There is also a nice sing-song feel and nice sound effects that kids will enjoy too.
Round Lake Area Library Youth Services Department

This is a great book on the cycle of different types of materials and how they can be used for different things. There is also a nice sing-song feel and nice sound effects that kids will enjoy too.
Laurie
Aug 11, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
A preschool favourite, as evidenced by the book being added to the "bed library" kept under the blankets for bedtime reading. Bright colours and well-illustrated big machines appealed to our under 5 "crew". The rhyming format is easy to read, easy to understand. For every young child who loves to see things torn down.
Tasha
Jun 14, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There has been a movement recently to create some very original and fresh construction and truck books. Before that, it was a bit of a desert of naming big trucks, telling how they work, and leaving it at that. This book is one of the best of those new, fresh books about construction vehicles. In rhyming lines, it tells the story of the demolition of a building. It begins with the people getting ready, moves to the wrecking ball, then the excavator and its tearing jaws. There are stone crushers ...more
Fjóla
Jun 16, 2012 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2 - 6 year olds, all lovers of mighty machines
This is a brand new book we saw on display at the library. My son loves everything "truck" and he's watched every single episode of Mighty Machine at least three times, so we couldn't pass over a truck book. But I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this one. Each page spread focuses on one part of the demolition process and the machines involved. The emphasis is on recycling the materials, and some of them go into the building of a playground that we watch take shape at the end of the bo ...more
Michael
Mar 16, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Little guys, big trucks. A match made in heaven. But even better than watching huge machines make stuff is watching them knock stuff down. And wait for the twist at the end!
For more great picture books for little guys, see: http://www.talestoldtall.com/B4BPictu...
Sylvester
Jul 16, 2014 Sylvester rated it really liked it
5* art
5* story

Squirt loves "Roadwork" so much that this one can't possibly be as awesome - but almost! These are fantastic books - repetition, rhyme, machines of all kinds, and truly wonderful illustrations. Hard to beat.
Stephanie Moran
Jun 07, 2016 Stephanie Moran rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
Simple, nicely illustrated book about demolition - my son was able to predict the ending of the book which i thought was cute and we talked about how nice it would be if it would occur in real life. Again, I feel this would be the perfect book for storytime.
Tammy
Nov 04, 2015 Tammy rated it it was amazing
I know a lot of little boys obsessed with trucks and the like, and this is the perfect book for them. My own little boy probably knows more about bulldozers and excavators than I did in my twenties.
Kellylou
Feb 18, 2014 Kellylou rated it really liked it
I can think of many young readers that would love the words and illustrations in this book! Filled with awesome sights and tons of action, this will be one they want to be read over and over again.
Sep 15, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Great board book for toddlers who like to voice loud noises. And cool to read about machines and people who destroy buildings to build a playground! City setting that needs introduced to rural kids like mine.
Asho
Just like the other Sutton book we recently read, Roadwork, this one has fun sound effects and an energetic rhyme scheme. However, something about demolition just makes me sad. I know the book ends happily and shows the old materials being repurposed, and I know demolition is usually just an innocuous part of construction projects (which is how its depicted in this book), but I guess I was feeling particularly morbid when I read this because I couldn't stop thinking about all the demolition work ...more
Donna L Martin
Feb 23, 2014 Donna L Martin rated it really liked it
Nice book for young readers ages 4-8 to learn more about what is involved in tearing down a building. Colorful illustrations and nice surprise ending.
Jennifer Heise
Sep 08, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
From the author of Roadwork comes this lively rhyming text about knocking down a building. The illustrations are colorful and clear, and while the rhythms are sometimes strained, the onomatopoetic "whizz, bang, crash..." terms at the end of each page's rhymes are not. The activity includes sorting and recycling materials from the destroyed building, followed by a brief construction of a playground. (It might have felt more balanced with several more pages devoted to the steps to the playground c ...more
Sara Harrison
Aug 11, 2014 Sara Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Aubrey is obsessed with this books. She is loving the machines. And the simple plot. And the delightful rhthym of the text. She chants it all day.
Betsy
Jun 11, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
This is sort of the antithesis to Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site albeit in a good way. Where Goodnight, Goodnight is all sweet dreams and soft colors, Demolition is bright colors and lots of action as machines tear down a building to build a playground. Onomatopoeia, good rhyme, plus the illustrations make this a book truck-lovin' preschoolers will love. The back page has a nice factual account of the different machines/parts used for those who want to know what things are.
jacky
Jun 01, 2014 jacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-aub, board-books
Liked how this was the opposite of most truck books by focusing on demolition rather than construction. William likes it.
Kimberly
Jan 21, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My son (5), loved this book and I enjoyed it too. The illustrations are good and the story has good rhythm to it.
Melanie
A new storytime favorite! Right off the bat I noticed that the illustrator included WOMEN construction workers! Way to go for gender equality!

This a fantastic rhyming text that has wonderful rhythm. The first line of each page is repeated and action text follows So: "Swing the ball. Swing the ball. Thump and smash and whack. Bring the top floors tumbling down. Bang! CLANG! CRACK!"

Kids will be rocking to the fun sounds in this text as well as enjoying joining in on the whams and bams! Readers wil
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • Charley's First Night
  • Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • underGROUND
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Step Gently Out
Sally Sutton is an Auckland playwright and children’s writer. Her first picture book, "Crazy Kiwi Tops and Tails", was published by Penguin in 2006. "Roadworks" will be her third picture book. She lives in the bush-clad suburb of Birkenhead with her husband and children
More about Sally Sutton...