Start by marking “Will Princess Isabel Ever Say Please?” as Want to Read:
Will Princess Isabel Ever Say Please?

Will Princess Isabel Ever Say Please?

Princess Isabel has such bad manners that even though she has many chances to marry a handsome prince, each one is put off by her rudeness. Illustrations.
Published February 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Will Princess Isabel Ever Say Please?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will Princess Isabel Ever Say Please?

Michael
Dec 15, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
Wow, this is one of the worst of the princess books. But of course that means that many girls will love it, not realizing it is telling them to sell their souls for men.

The idea was clever at the start: a princess is not polite, and so her destiny leads her to miss out on some famous fairy tale stories. But as the stories pile up, you realize that it is not the missed adventures she cares about, but the prince at the end of each rainbow. (view spoiler)
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
This book has a gross, stereotypical message. I would not choose to share this with children. I don't object to all princess stuff by any means, I like a bunch of it, but this one is particularly bad. In situation after situation Princess Isabel misses an opportunity by refusing to say please. In each case that opportunity is the chance to marry a prince. When she finally does say please, she gets a prince. There is literally nothing else to reward her with, only a prince. Her only job it seems ...more
Kim Miner Litton
Apr 13, 2015 Kim Miner Litton rated it did not like it
I actually like princess stories. I understand there are a lot of regressive problems in fairytales, but they are beloved by many girls and I feel that we can do just as much damage telling girls that things that they love are "stupid."

This book, however, is putting us all back to the stone ages.

While saying "please" is important, there are time where it is not really applicable, something this book doesn't seem to get.

First instance: Isabel goes to the ball and falls for the prince, leaving her
Haylee
Mar 28, 2014 Haylee rated it did not like it
If you're polite and say please, you'll get a prince and live happily ever after...not. Didn't like the way this book went about teaching why politeness is important. Has nothing to do with some dumb prince. lol
Ariel Cummins
Sep 25, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book that features Princess Isabel, the princess who's almost been the star of many fairy tales. But her pesky refusal to say "please" keeps her from getting her prince. Until one day, when she, without any sort of motivation or explaination for the change, decides to say please and finds her prince.

I found the changes in stories within the story to be pretty abrupt,and there's a somewhat out of place Groucho Marx reference (do kids know who he is?!?). Overall, not an offensive story, and i
Nick
Mar 23, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute, but nothing special. Princess Isabel was almost the heroine of several major fairy tales, but each time her refusal to say "please" has left her with no happy-ever-after ending, and no handsome prince.
Of course, one of her refusals to say "please" also kept her from eating a poisoned apple, so the message of the story is a little mixed...
By the end, when she has finally learned her lesson, it's not as clunky as some moral tales, but still not totally engaging. Some kids will like it, thoug
Rani
#Mixture of #fairytales tied up in the framework of one story!
Samantha
May 07, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Teaches manners while revisiting classic princess fairy tales (Cinderella, Snow White, and The Frog Prince). The artwork is bright and expressive and paired with the text makes for a good read aloud for the early elementary grades.
Kim
Jul 24, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
It is a princess book. I like the way that each refusal to say please results in a familiar fairy tale. Unfortunately the trope seems forced, especially towards the end of the book.
Heather
Feb 27, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library, manners
Meh is was just ok. I liked the idea of tying in the fairy tales but over all there are many other books about saying please that are much better.
Linda Atkinson
Jan 24, 2012 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
Name that Princess! Funny, fractured, fairy tales meet manners good and bad. Ages 4-8yrs.
Michelle  Cropper
Nov 21, 2015 Michelle Cropper rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book that my daughter absolutely loves
Edward Sullivan
Feb 01, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun fractured fairy tale featuring a rude princess.
Patty
Feb 11, 2012 Patty rated it it was ok
Will pass as a story supporting the theme of courtesy.
Alex
May 02, 2016
Laura added it
Apr 24, 2016
Ayu Mutiara
Ayu Mutiara marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Elizabeth Fairbanks
Elizabeth Fairbanks marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Faythe
Faythe rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2016
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Ashley Hancock
Ashley Hancock rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Jade Trinket
Jade Trinket rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2015
Erin Logan
Erin Logan rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Cara Reads Kids
Cara Reads Kids rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2015
Joy Lane
Joy Lane rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I grew up in Queens, NY in the 1950s with my “baby” sister, Lois. She is now a wonderful writer of young adult novels and nonfiction. My mother was born in Vienna, Austria, and my father came from Brooklyn – an interesting match! My best friends were Neil, Robbie, Krebs, and Paul. I’m still good friends with most of these guys. It was less hectic in those days – no computers, no emails, fewer TV c ...more
More about Steve Metzger...