Start by marking “The Best Halloween of All” as Want to Read:
The Best Halloween of All

The Best Halloween of All

Susan Wojciechowski and Susan Meddaugh weave a laugh-out-loud tale about one boy's ghosts from Halloweens past.

Ever since Ben was a baby, his parents have concocted wild costumes for him on Halloween. He has been a magician's rabbit (complete with a giant top hat), a bunch of grapes, even a slice of Swiss cheese! Ben has hated every one of these costumes. But now that Ben
Published July 10th 2012 by Candlewick Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Halloween of All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Halloween of All

Tatiana
I'm conflicted about The Best Halloween of All, because on one hand, it got my tutoring students talking about their Halloween costumes (a witch and a kitty cat), but on the other, the kid in the story disses the hard work his parents' put into his Halloween costume every year and is more happy with a paper bag over his head and a paper towel roll for a sword. I know it's fiction and I'm just supposed to run with it, but that is so ridiculous!
Dolly
Sep 25, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, halloween, 2013
I think this story is as much for the parents as it is for children. It shows how enthusiastic and talented parents, dedicating hours to creating the 'perfect' halloween costume (or in their case, halloween themes for their children), don't always end up scoring big in their children's eyes. I love that the young boy took the initiative to tell his parents what he wanted and created his own costume without help. I also love the fact that even though the costume didn't look professional, he loved ...more
Mary
This is the story of a little boy who was always at the whim of his parents and older brother when it came to deciding what he would be for Halloween. He did not get any say in his costumes, and they usually ended up being more trouble than they were worth. Finally, he decides to ask if he could make his own Halloween costume; his family agrees. It ends up being the best Halloween ever!

This is a great message for parents who want to be maybe a little too involved in their children's lives. At so
Alexandra
Sep 14, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When browsing the library with my best friend who happens to be a teacher, I felt it acceptable to browse the children's section. When I am alone I feel creepy doing this.
She needed fall books to read to her class and I got lost looking for books from my childhood. This one I had never read before but I liked that it was Halloween-y and from the early 90s.
The illustrations are so cute; all the hilarious costumes that Benjamin's mom makes him wear when he was an infant and a small child >.&l
Alexis
Oct 31, 2015 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Ben tells how he always got the bad Halloween costume growing up while his brother go the good ones. He then decides he wants to create his own costume this year. I would use this as a fun activity before Halloween to inspire creativity in students when choosing costumes.
Amber
Sep 26, 2011 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 5 year old daughter brought this home from the library, she really liked it. It was fun to see the costumes he wore each year.
Michelle
Nov 01, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: massimo, mariana
The kids enjoyed this book.
PWRL
May 29, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Michelle
Sep 23, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
My daughter loves this book. It was a library book my son brought home from school. When he was going to return it, she hid it from him to keep him from taking it back.
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Mary rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Bebe
Bebe rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Melki
Melki rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Krysten
Krysten rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2016
Adam Hassan
Adam Hassan rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Luisa
Luisa rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2009
Heather Stigall
Heather Stigall rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2008
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Mary rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Susan Berg
Susan Berg rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Ayla
Ayla rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Chae Pak
Chae Pak rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Kaulin
Kaulin rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2009
Sara Lemonade
Sara Lemonade rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Susan Wojciechowski was a children's librarian for many years. "Every December," she says, "I read the same two or three classic Christmas stories aloud to the children. I tried to find another one I wanted to read and couldn't. So I wrote THE CHRISTMAS MIRACLE OF JONATHAN TOOMEY. I've never written anything that way before. It just came through me in a flood of inspiration and was finished in les ...more
More about Susan Wojciechowski...