Start by marking “Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta Is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (And Doesn't Seem to Care)” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A bestselling investigative journalist takes a tour of the Alberta oil and gas industry, revealing how Canada’s richest province is squandering our chance for a sustainable future.

In its desperate search for oil and gas riches, Alberta is destroying itself. As the world teeters on the edge of catastrophic climate change, Alberta plunges ahead with uncontrolled development
Published May 28th 2010 by Vintage Canada (first published October 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stupid to the Last Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stupid to the Last Drop

Mikey B.
This, to some extent, is a doomsday scenario of the eventual demise of Alberta through the over exploitation of its oil and gas resources. To a degree this is a warranted prognosis. Much of Alberta’s resources are environmentally difficult to extract compared to oil in Arab countries. The extraction methods are environmentally invasive; the tar sands around Fort McMurray and natural gas in southeastern Alberta are the prime examples used in this book.

The rivers and water sheds are being chemica
Steven Teasdale
William Marsden is an author and investigative journalist who bravely took on the Hell’s Angels biker gang in a series of books and columns. Now he’s after a bigger, richer, and far more deceptive foe… the Canadian oil industry. Marsden goes to the physical and metaphorical heart of Canada’s oil country to provide an incisive examination of an environmental catastrophe effected by a manipulative oil industry in denial and aided an impotent and incompetent system of governments.

Marsden begins by
Lee
"With the billions of dollars in tax subsidies and royalty holidays that this industry receives each year, Canadians are subsidizing the total destruction of this environment." (p 195)

I wish all Alberta taxpayers would read this book, though I don't think even if all of us who were not making a dime off this devastating industry all banded together we could make one bit of difference. Government has really sold us out, & there seems to be no way to stop these industries in their quest for m
Jim Labelle
This is a truly stunning condemnation of Alberta's energy policies and the exploitation of this precious resource. It is mainly about the tar sands but covers other matters associated with the oil and gas industry and how it affects the ecosystem, the economy and the health and well-being of Albertans and their neighbours. The days of easily accessed oil reserves is past. Now industry must use draconian methods to extract oil using and polluting Alberta's scarce groundwater and water reserves. O ...more
Bruno de Maremma
A good accompaniment to 'The Shock Doctrine' and 'American Theocracy'. Thanks to the Alberta government's unquestioning embrace of Chicago School economics we are living in a time of unbridled destruction of our environment for the sake of easy money. Marsden describes the folly of the mandatory sale of our resources to the U.S., the short sightedness of the provincial leaders in destroying the Athabasca River delta thru unconstrained growth of oil sands development and the grave environmental c ...more
Spagetes
This book should have been a tedious and maybe obvious read, given the subject matter. But the author tackled the subject so well, laying out his comprehensive investigation with a cool dry wit and readable narrative. It is hard to pick out which factor is more enraging, from the environmental damage, to how the natives have been poisoned and screwed out of treaty rights, to how the resource is being liquidated at firesale prices to foriegn companies. One thing I think that could have been explo ...more
Bryan Richard
Boy was this ever an eye-opening read. All about the Alberta oil sands and how corporations are trying to exploit what is in the ground at the expense of the environment as well as the health of people living in the area. I would definitely recommend it.
Rick
I wouldn't call this a page-turner, but it was informative, if you're interested in oil-sands. For example, there's a pretty interesting chapter on a plan to use nuclear bombs to create chambers in the oil sands where the heated oil could flow. They never did it, but the Russians apparently did, causing the surrounding aquifers to become radioactive. It seems that we need to move from petro to renewable sooner rather than later.
Paul
WOW, this was an eye-opener!
To think that all that destruction of our Canadian environment is mostly for the benefit of the States is simply disgusting!
I live in Quebec, and I know that there are plans being made to exploit our northern oil resources as well. I'll be keeping an eye on those developments.
I encourage all Canadians and enviromentally-concious individuals from all parts of the world to read this book.
Dirk
From plans to nuke the tar sands 50 years ago to destroying the entire water supply of Alberta today, the oil industry and government continue the insane pursuit of oil dollars at any cost. Happily for them most Canadians have no idea what is actually happening.
Tylerlhsmith
I have to look back at this. It's one of few books that I simply never finished. I believe I felt that it was just hitting on the wrong points while missing hugely important negative items. I'm marking it to look at again.
Eli
If you're not already angry with the people who run the show on both the federal and provincial levels -- this will do it.
Jeri Grant
We had better change our ways
Nakedfartbarfer
Nakedfartbarfer marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Dale Shirt
Dale Shirt marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Emily Onufer
Emily Onufer marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Igoe
Igoe marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Pruitt
Pruitt marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Angels of Death: Inside the Biker Gangs' Crime Empire Sejarah Sumatra The Travels Fools Rule: Inside the Failed Politics of Climate Change Helse Engelen