Start by marking “Night School” as Want to Read:
Night School

Night School (Night School #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,266 Ratings  ·  1,226 Reviews
Allie Sheridan’s world is falling apart. Her brother’s run away from home. Her parents ignore her. And she’s just been arrested. Again.

This time her parents have had enough. They send Allie to Cimmeria Academy - far away from her London friends. The school is beautiful, and filled with gorgeous, ultra-wealthy teens who travel by private jet, and were raised by nannies.

Alli
Paperback, ARC Edition, 451 pages
Published January 5th 2012 by Atom (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Night School, please sign up.

C.J. Daugherty Sadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights.…moreSadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights. Cimmeria is the boarding school I wish I'd gone to! (less)
C.J. Daugherty Sadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights.…moreSadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights. (less)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I always enjoy boarding school books (unless they’re contemporary, in which case I tend to run away screaming), and I’d hoped Night School would be a fine addition to the group, or in the best case scenario, that it would stand out in some way. Sadly, it’s not special at all, and it’s not even paranormal like I’d expected. It has the structure and the tropes of a paranormal YA novel, but no paranormal elements whatsoever. Consider yourselves warned.

Allie is a very troubled teen. After her older
~Tina~
Yup, this is definitely a Tina book!!!

Since the Harry Potter days, I've always loved boarding school books. So as soon as I saw this book, I've wanted to read it, I'm not sure why but it sounded like something I'd enjoy and enjoy I did, in fact, it became an instant favorite! Also, the fact that it's set in London and it's British is an extra bonus. I love British books!

Night School has just about everything I love in a good escape. Mystery, intrigue, excitement, driven character and a heart po
Reynje
I liked Night School. But I say that with a massive caveat. (More on that later.) So, Night School and upcoming Night School sequel: you and your ratings are on probation.

The synopsis is fairly ambiguous as to the genre of the novel. It drops hints about a strange boarding school and a mysterious loner guy, but is evasive on the specifics. Even the cover looks like it would be home among a shelf of paranormal romances. So while I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say this, I’ll put in spoiler tags
Juliana Zapata
May 19, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Una historia original con unos personajes geniales. Allie es un personaje fuerte y rebelde (eso me encanta) y los chicos tan diferentes pero con tantas cosas en común al tiempo.

El libro atrapa por el misterio, solo descubres de que va todo en los últimos capítulos y el final te deja lleno de curiosidad.

#TeamCarter

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Jessica
Feb 04, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: ~Tina~
Man, this was A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!

C.J. Daugherty managed to keep me in the dark about what was really going on in Night School until the very end. I had no freakin' clue and I loved that. Daugherty scattered a few hints here and there to make sure you never stayed on the right track. After a while I thought I had the whole thing figured out and was like "Ah well, this is just another one of those boarding school stories about vampires or whatever" but I was wrong. It really isn't. I think it's best t
Khanh (the Grinch)
Actual rating: 3.5

I honestly don't know how to rate this book. It's such an odd read, I came in with certain expectations as to the plot, the characters, and the writing, and none were reached. That isn't to say it's a bad thing, considering I had low expectations, but this book was so different from what I actually got. From the title, I expected a House of Night ripoff, and instead I got Gossip Girl meet cloak and daggers with a hint at the paranormal and a set of rules straight out of Fight C
madametschenni
Ziemlich klischeebehaftet, aber dennoch ein guter Auftakt! Rezi folgt :)
Izzy
Awh man. I really wanted to be able to give this book more. Instead I shall tell you why I didn't (and why I gave it what I did of course).

Right, so the blurb and the first chapter of the book give the impression that Allie is somewhat of a troublemaker, what with the arrests and all. Sounds fun, right? We all love a good troublemaker. However, as the book went on I found her character *quite* and by quite I mean really inconsistent. She changed the moment she went to the boarding school to gen
Isamlq
Mar 07, 2012 Isamlq rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sixty four percent in four days does not a good sign make. I just couldn’t get into it; but, the Lord be thanked, for if not by the powers of skimming then I doubt I’d have managed to get through to the end.

Should I say that it’s the same old, same old?
Should I say that the boys are ridiculously controlling in this one?
Should I repeat the fact that, yet gain, there be two boys in this one; both of whom are into the same girl who thinks herself, yet again, as not that much to begin with?
Should
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Privilege, school, friendship, family, love.

I have to admit that I put off reading this for a long time.

Why?

The cover. It just screams PNR. Or YAFantasy.

No, thank you.

But this month I wanted to finally read some of those books that have been sitting on my physical TBR for a long while, starting with the UKYA. And Night School was the first one I picked up.

And wow. Why did I leave it so long?

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was absolutely NOT what I read. This book was all kinds
Ferdy

Sixteen year old Allie is sent away to boarding school after getting arrested for the third time. Hoping Allie will start to behave, Allie's parents drop her off at her new school - Cimmeria Academy, which much to Allie's dismay is in the middle of nowhere. This conveniantly gets rid of the heroine's parents pretty much straight away - everyone that reads YA knows that parents can't heaven forbid actually be there to parent our young heroes and heroines!
It was a bit unbelievable that Al
Wanderlust
This is not a paranormal or fantasy book - Ignore the bookshelves that say it is.
It is instead about spoilt teenagers who are whiney, full of issues and extremely annoying to read about.
The big surprise about what night school is...

That wasn't a surprise.. at all.
I wouldn't recommend this book, nor continue the series.
Sophie
Dec 31, 2015 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night School tells the story of Allie Sheridan, a teenage girl who is having a tough time dealing with her brother's disappearance. After being arrested for the third time, her parents decide to send her to the mysterious Cimmeria Academy, whose students include the children of the country's most powerful and influential people. Though the boarding school may house teenagers, electronics of any kind aren't accepted: no phones, mp3 players, laptops, TVs, anything.

Allie's life at Cimmeria starts o
Crystal
Mar 05, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I need more!! That is the only thing going through my brain right now. I just want more of these words and sentences that Daughtry has strung together. The story flows like water and for 454 pages it has to flow to keep my attention and it not only did that but it left me wanting another 454 pages!
Allie has been sent to a school tucked in the middle of nowhere as a last resort to save her from herself. Ever since her brother left she has been on a downward spiral and her parents are at the end o
Bine
Jan 27, 2016 Bine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein Buch, das ich schon sehr lange lesen wollte. Ich muss sagen, dass es mich sehr gut unterhalten hat und auch ziemlich spannend war. Leider hat mich das Ende ein bisschen enttäuscht, weswegen ich nicht weiß, ob ich es weiterlesen werde... Ich habe das Gefühl, dass immer neue Geheimnisse aufkommen werden und es in ständige Geheimniskrämerei ausufern wird... Also ich weiß noch nicht, ob ich weiter lesen will. Das erste Buch hat mir jedenfalls sehr gut gefallen. Selbst die Dreiecksbeziehung war z ...more
shady boots
This review is also available on my blog.

__________________________________

I can't think of a rating for this. Either 3, 3.5, 3.75, I just don't know.

So I decided to get this book because the reviews I've seen gave it the impression that this is a book of pure epicness. I was intrigued and curious, so I was excited when I managed to get my hands on it.

Unfortunately, it kind of let me down.

So this book is about Allie Sheridan who became a rebellious girl after her older brother Christopher ran aw
Stacey (prettybooks)
If you, like me, saw the cover of Night School and assumed it was a paranormal romance novel then let me assure you – it’s nothing of the sort!

Allie Sheridan is having a tough time coping with her brother’s disappearance. He was her best friend until one day he just wrote a note and left. When Allie gets arrested, her parents decide that they are unable to deal with her self-destructive behaviour anymore and send her to boarding school – Cimmeria Academy.

Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. I
mary
Feb 07, 2015 mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Τι ευχάριστη έκπληξη!Η αλήθεια είναι πως όταν πρωτοείδα το νυχτερινό σχολείο πίστεψα πως πρόκειται για μια ακόμη paranormal σειρά όμοια με τον οίκο της νύχτας.Τελικά δεν είναι καθόλου αυτό που φανταζόμουν και χαίρομαι γι αυτό καθώς κατάφερει να ξεπεράσει κατά πολύ τις προσδοκίες μου.
Η δεκαεξάχρονη Άλι Σέρινταν μετά τη μυστηριώδη εξαφάνιση του αδερφού της έχει εκδηλώσει μια ιδιαίτερα παραβατική συμπεριφορά που οδηγεί τους γονείς να την βάλουν οικότροφη σε ένα παράξενο σχολείο, την Κιμμέρια Ακαδημ
Nic
Feb 09, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Tina
Night School was recommended to me by my good friend Tina. She told me not read any spoilers, to go in knowing as little as possible and I am so glad I listened to her. Becaused it was so different from what I was expecting but I mean that in a good way. Now I don't want to say anything about what this book was actually about because it is nice to have a book that takes you by surprise. Let just say it was intriguing plot. I loved the mystery too it and how it leaves me with questions that I des ...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

C.J. Daugherty has several things going for her in her debut novel and the first in her Night School series: a chilling, thoroughly Gothic vibe, an interesting and just-convoluted-enough conspiracy theory, and a somewhat rounded main character. Unfortunately for both Night School and its readers, Daugherty loses sight of what she should write about and focuses on mean girls, petty high school drama, "mysterious" boys, and an obnoxious love trianle w
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Premise: Rebel girl Allie gets kicked out of previous school so has to attend new boarding school. In the school there's a secret society called Night School and NO ONE is allowed to talk about it. Because of this rule no one does tell Allie about it until around 90% through and she gets frustrated because everyone's 'lying' to her.

First of all I should mention, that I really wanted to LOVE this book. I met C.J.Daugherty a few weeks ago and what she was saying about the progression of her chara
Demo
Jan 07, 2012 Demo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I feel obligated to read this book. Not because the whole "Night Class"/"Day Class" thing reminds me of Vampire Knight, but because I scrolled down the page and was assaulted by tons of 5 and 4 star ratings. I don't know whether to be saying "Whoa, just calm the hell down!" or "OMG THIS MUST BE AMAZING I NEEED IT NOOOW!"

The pessimist and the optimist in me are fighting again.
Jo Ana
Feb 20, 2016 Jo Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anfangs kam ich garnicht in die Geschichte rein und nach der Enthüllung des großen Geheimnisses, war ich auch etwas enttäuscht. Dennoch hat es mir gut gefallen und ich will auf jeden Fall weiter lesen und wissen was es mit Christopher auf sich hat.
Drew Tuá
May 17, 2015 Drew Tuá rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf, 2015
4,5/5
Increíble, me ha encantado :)
Emily
Aug 08, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
Night School was just a random buy at a store a couple of days ago. Actually, it wasn't exactly a "buy". Bascially I got it for free, so why the heck would I not grab it with me home? I read the blurb, which sounded interesting, and I honestly could use me some fantasy/boarding school kind of shiz right now.

Boarding school I got, but a fantasy it was not. Neither was it a mystery or paranormal. Then what was it, you probably ask, and I truthfully am not sure. Most of the story revolves around Al
Kristy
This was like an awesome mix of Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, Haven (Winterhaven, #1) by Kristi Cook and Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz. So, obviously if you liked any of these I would suggest you pick up this one.

While I am saying this was a mix of those it also was original in it's own ways. I was thinking I was sort of over the whole boarding school thing, but this one sucked me in. It was a really different school, so I didn't get bored with the setting.

Allie is trouble with a capital T since her brother, Christopher went missing. She has pulled her last stunt and her parents dec
Tanner
Oct 25, 2015 Tanner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need more answer...Now.
Veronika
Mar 27, 2016 Veronika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
3.5
Carolina Carriço
This was exactly what I needed! I was getting a little slumpy, so I decided to stop the book I was reading and try something else. I was roaming in my Goodreads page and saw one of my friends reading the fifth book on this series so I went and checked the first one. I read the blurb and thought Well, this sounds fun!, and I picked it up and BAM I was hooked within pages and I just couldn't stop reading!

At first I wasn't liking the girl, Allie, but soon she went from bad to okay and it wasn't bot
Sylvain vs Carter 156 337 Jan 03, 2016 12:13PM
Night School word game 6 4 Jun 08, 2015 04:22AM
Carter? 5 18 Jun 08, 2015 04:21AM
i want a book like night school 1 8 Jun 07, 2015 09:31AM
i want book like night school 1 6 Jun 07, 2015 09:22AM
Paranormal? 8 37 May 01, 2015 12:46AM
do you think that Allie is stupid 2 14 May 01, 2015 12:45AM
  • Les cendres de l'oubli (Phænix, #1)
  • Fated (Fated, #1)
  • A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)
  • Hollow Pike
  • The Witch Collector Part I
  • Die Katastrophe (Das Tal Season 1, #2)
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • Unraveling Isobel
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound #3)
  • Weiß wie Schnee, Rot wie Blut, Grün vor Neid. Ein mörderischer Schneewittchenroman
  • ExtraNormal (ExtraNormal, #1)
  • New Girl
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • The Namesake
  • Life After Theft
  • Skin Deep
International bestselling author C. J. Daugherty is a former newspaper reporter and crime writer. Her Night School series has been translated into 21 languages, and has been the number 1 best selling young adult novel in Germany, Poland, France, and Israel, topping charts in countries around the world. She writes in her home in the south of England, where she basically lives on coffee.

Find out mo
More about C.J. Daugherty...

Night School (5 books)
  • Legacy (Night School, #2)
  • Fracture (Night School, #3)
  • Resistance (Night School, #4)
  • Endgame (Night School, #5)

“What should I say? ‘Well, the murder was a little upsetting, and the fire did worry me a bit. I was nearly date-raped and my ex best friend is crazy. But, hey, at least I’m making an A in History’?” 84 likes
“Fine. You stay here. I shall return when I’ve found food. But when you all faint from hunger later don’t think you can just feed on me.” 59 likes