Start by marking “Ancestral Voices” as Want to Read:
Ancestral Voices

Ancestral Voices

Part murder mystery, part family saga--a stunning novel by one of the most accomplished writers to emerge from contemporary South Africa. As recounted in this haunting novel, the death of a young child of the Moolman tribe and the ensuing inquest transcend the conventions of the murder mystery, giving us a stark protrayal of a suicidally insular clan.
Published July 1st 1992 by Viking (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Ancestral Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancestral Voices

Adam
Jan 03, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-africa, africa
This intriguing and excellent novel is set in the remote countryside of South Africa, far from the big cities. It was written during, and concerns the Apartheid era.

The family tree printed at the beginning of the book is of great importance to the tale and its comprehension. During my investigations into my family's South African 'roots', I soon discovered that genealogy is a major preoccupation of the Afrikaner people. And, so it is in this novel, which is based on the activities (past and pres
Robert
Sep 08, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing
There’s nothing worse than a reading slump and when you commit yourself to a project like this they inevitably happen. It is impossible to like something that you don’t feel like reading and from Matigari onwards (with the exception of Watchmen) this was happening. Unfortunately I’ve experienced this slump with every decade I’ve tackled and I’m waiting for at least one decade where I love every single book.

However once you get out of the slump it’s a great feeling. There was some light shining w
Eadie
Mar 02, 2016 Eadie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this multigenerational story of a rigid patriarchal farm family in an isolated region of South Africa. It was full of history and mixed with mystery. It also dealt with age-old secrets and inherited anxieties, especially the unforgivable shame of interracial marriage. If you are interested in learning about the problems caused by Apartheid in South Arfica, then I think you will enjoy reading this book.
Karlien
Jan 07, 2016 Karlien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mooi, sfeervol, magisch-realistisch verhaal over 2 naast elkaar levende, verwante families en een tragische gebeurtenis ...ietwat teleurstellend, onduidelijk einde
Gronum
Nov 20, 2012 Gronum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greats in Afrikaans!
Roane Swindon
Oct 10, 2014 Roane Swindon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this novel. It is full of rich history, mystery, and poignant descriptions, its plot is enjoyable and unique, and its themes are engaging and enchanting.

Read more of what I thought on my blog.
Mareli Thalwitzer
Dit was een van my matriek voorgeskrewe boeke en ek onthou dat ek baie mal was daaroor!!! Het dit 12jaar later weer gelees en ek dink dit het toe 'n nog groter impak op my gemaak. "Moenie vergeet waarvandaan jy kom nie, maar moenie dat dit jou verhoed om te gaan waarheen jy moet nie"
Kate Walsh
Sep 08, 2012 Kate Walsh rated it liked it
There were too many characters, I was confused for most of the book. The plot was virtually non-existant. Some beautiful language and good portrayal of bitterness and inheritance.
Stefan Salonen
Dec 25, 2013 Stefan Salonen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Totally confusing and spillover use of ancestry-ghosts. Just a few shareable thoughts, the rest not worth reading, writing, sharing.
Steyn
Steyn rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Naida
Naida rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2007
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Mike Breytenbach
Mike Breytenbach rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2011
Jan
Location read: Stellenbosch
Johan
Johan rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Francoise Steynberg
Francoise Steynberg rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
FaradAloes
FaradAloes rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Ronda
Ronda rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Celeste Fryer
Celeste Fryer rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Coenraad
Coenraad rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Nicolene Jansen
Oct 31, 2016 Nicolene Jansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Afrikaans fiction in a long time
Esti
Esti rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Rory Biggs
Rory Biggs rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
ImagineWisdom
ImagineWisdom rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Hanno
Hanno rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Anna Mcdonald
Anna Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2007
Amy Olivier
Amy Olivier rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
Erich Hugo
Erich Hugo rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
  • A House in the Uplands
  • The Bells of Basel
  • Margot en de engelen
  • A Dry White Season
Etienne Roché van Heerden grew up in a dual medium household. After matriculating he decided to join the navy, but since he is blind in the right eye, was not called up for combat duty. Instead he served as a dog handler, playing his alsatian at major festivals.

Van Heerden initially studied law, and was admitted to the South African Side Bar as attorney. He freelanced as deputy sheriff for the Civ
More about Etienne van Heerden...