Start by marking “Bedtime for Monsters” as Want to Read:
Bedtime for Monsters

Bedtime for Monsters

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  351 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Bedtime for Monsters is Ed Vere's hilarious monsterish tale - with a big twist!

What if a monster were looking for a bedtime snack? And what if that snack just happened to be you? GULP! He's getting closer and closer . . . and his tummy is rumbling REALLY loudly. You'd be very scared! BUT all this monster actually wants is a lovely monster-sized goodnight kiss. Night, night
Published July 7th 2011 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime for Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime for Monsters

Mari
I really enjoyed this one, but it is a little dark. What if there are monsters. . .and what if one is coming to eat you?! It's actually quite a silly and sweet monster, but you don't find this out until MUCH later. Most of the book is a build up to a monster sneaking into a kiddo's room, with the possible intention of having a child for a snack. I would love to share this with a group, but I'm hesitant. I keep thinking of the sweet, sensitive kids who might not be able to get the vision of a mea ...more
Joe
Sep 08, 2015 Joe rated it liked it
Nice twist on the bedtime monster. My five year old loved it.
Megan Cureton
Bedtime for Monsters turned out to be a very innocent and sweet book but before you get to the ending, it might be a little dark and scary to some children. The parts where they say the monster is hungry and coming to eat you up, and how he is creeping through the house, and turning the door knob to your bedroom, I feel like that might give some children nightmares. But like I said, in the end, it was very innocent and sweet, but you have to go through some dark moments to get to those. I do lik ...more
Melissa
"...maybe he's thinking about you in an eating-you-up kind of way?"

Reminded me of both When a Monster is Born and Going on a Bear Hunt. Some children will definitely be too stressed by the idea of a monster on its way to their door to enjoy this at all, but the kids who make it through to the end of the story might wind up with a story they can enjoy re-reading and practicing their I-don't-have-to-worry-it's-just-a-book skills.

Would be fun to pull out for a Valentine storytime.
Mary
This book is so cute! It is charming and wonderful for young children and their parents to read together at bedtime. It gives the impression of being somewhat scary at first, but it resolves in a very sweet way. The pictures are fabulous and the text is short and sweet with lots of variation in print styles.
Elisabeth
Nov 22, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Tried this in story time with preschoolers - I could tell part way through - not a great idea. I kind of had to hurry through it so they knew the monster was not coming to eat them! :| My own preschooler loved it, but snuggling with your mom helps with the bravery factor I'm sure!
Erin
Jul 20, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I'm not impressed with this book. While the book isn't awful, I find the idea that a monster who is coming to eat you is slightly disturbing. And ending with a kiss being worse than a monster eating you mixes up priorities a little.
Meghan Peters
Vere,E.(2012).Bedtime for Monsters. New York, NY:Henry Holt.
The book is about what the monster does before going to bed. You will be wondering what monsters will do before bed What will they do before going to bed? Do you wonder if monsters are real?
This book was a page turner to find out what the monster was going to do to you. I loved how the author made the pictures and the words fit together. I felt like I was the kid in my bed wondering what monsters really do. It took me back to when I
Heather
Aug 12, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is too freaking cute, lots of great noises/interaction with kids for storytime. I am so taking this on all my outreaches and doing this for my next storytime :)
Sandi Rossman
Sep 05, 2013 Sandi Rossman rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
I reviewed this book for the choice category (picture book assignment). The source was the Children's Choices 2013 Reading List.

Children everywhere are sure to be nervous, if not scared, as they contemplate a monster coming for them at bedtime. However, the silly ending will have kids shrieking in fits of giggles instead of fits of terror. As a monster travels through the land to get to the reader, his intentions are not scary- just loving!

The pictures in this book seem to come right out of a c
Kayla Axiotis
A narrator is telling the story of a monster who is very, very hungry on a dark evening. Although the audience does not know what the monster truly is thinking, from his physical appearance it looks as if he is mean and ready to eat YOU! This book literally gets the reader thinking that ALL monsters are bad, however this book might give a child a peace of mind with its happy closure.
Fred
Apr 14, 2014 Fred rated it it was ok
It's not really original. I think it would be kind of funny if childrens were just a little scared of monsters, because if i'd be a lot scared, this book wouldn't make me feel any better. The illustrations aren't really awesome aswell.
Shannon Brasher
Nov 25, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it it was amazing
Bedtime for Monsters is fun, silly book about a monster who is coming to get you right now. Every page the monster gets closer and closer and the suspense builds until the monster opens your door and just wants to give you a sloppy good night kiss. This book is a book a parent should read before they read it to their young child as I can see if being scary for a child who is afraid of the dark or the monster under their bed and you can ultimately judge if it is appropriate for your child. The bo ...more
Kathy
Jan 15, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
Scary words, adorable monster: Does he want to eat you all up? No, it's even worse: he wants a great big sloppy good night kiss! I read this in Spanish ("A dormir, monstruos!")and will use it for my bilingual story time.
Alice
Feb 13, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 Stars Are you afraid of monsters....well... this book will wind up you up about scary monsters...and then.....well you'll have to read the book!

Good concept fun pictures...good bed time story!
Jenna
Sep 08, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All right. That's an adorable book. I just need the range of voices to do a rather creepy narration of a monster...slowly coming to town, stomach rumbling and well-armed with a knife and fork.
Sean
Feb 04, 2015 Sean rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a wonderful read aloud. It is creepy while still remaining lighthearted and funny. The kids are going to love it, just maybe not as much as me.
Alyssa
Jun 24, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
If you read this with a clear sense of humor to your little ones, they will find it funny. Stop and ask silly questions along the way, help them think it through.
Becki Barker
Jan 16, 2015 Becki Barker rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute favorite book in our house. The girls recite it with me and beg over and over to read it again. It never gets old. Love it!
Brianna
Oct 05, 2013 Brianna rated it it was amazing
At first when I read this book I didn't know what to think. All they were talking about was how this monster is coming through the woods with his knife, and fork to your house to eat you. if i was a little kid this would probably scare me at first, but when you read more into the story you find out that the monster only wants a goodnight kiss. i guess in a way this book is good because usually little kids are afraid of the dark, and monsters, but all this monster wants is a simple kiss, and goes ...more
Eliza
Oct 11, 2012 Eliza rated it it was amazing
My toddler William has become obsessed with this book, but I don't mind reading it over and over again. I've noticed that a surprising number of picture books don't actually work that well for read-alouds, but the language in Bedtime for Monsters is just delightful, plus there is a lot of onomatopoeia which is fun and helps keep Will engaged. The illustrations are great too - our favorite is at the very end where the monster is asleep with his stuffed animal. I bought a copy because we've been r ...more
Kayla Quinn
Oct 17, 2013 Kayla Quinn rated it it was amazing
This book is geared to boys because it is talking about a monster. I really liked how the author of this book went in great detail describing the monster, and what he likes to do. The book was talking about how the monster would go about eating his victims. In the end, all he really wanted was to give sloppy kisses. The book also described that all monsters need to go to bed just like all young children do. I think that this would be a great book to read to a child who is struggling to go to bed ...more
Bethe
Fun little bedtime story with a surprise ending. Spanish is easy to read.
Kelsey
Dec 15, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-2nd, humor, horror
Seasons: Halloween

Supposing monsters existed, do you think one might be thinking about you? And supposing this monster is, do you think maybe he's thinking about eating you up? A fun cumulative tale for kids that love to get scared.

There is definitely a proper way to read this story to your kids. Do NOT read it in a bone chilling voice. Do NOT distance yourself from them as you read it. But DO tickle and keep your child near as you read and play along with the story. The reassuring ending can sh
Morgan
Apr 13, 2016 Morgan rated it liked it
Maybe to scary for little kids
Casandria
Oct 14, 2015 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, picture
Great bedtime book. Creepy and fun!
Stefanie
Feb 10, 2014 Stefanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monsters, k-2nd
I have a soft spot for monster books.
Kelly
Onomatopoeia.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Apr 20, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the premise of this book.
The monsters are the right combo of cute and scary.
And the tension is built up really well!

There's some great words to say in this one too,
some great sound effects even.

I think I was let down a little bit by the ending.
I have to admit I didn't see it coming, and thought it was very clever.

But I wasn't entirely satisfied.
That said, I think kids will really like it though.
It's funny and they'll giggle thinking about this monster coming after them!

Joella www.cinjoella.com
Oct 27, 2012 Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Why do you think this monster is smiling? Perhaps it is because he is HUNGRY and is coming to EAT YOU?!? The monster goes on a grand adventure with loads of sound effects so that he can come and get you. Of course there is a monster of a surprise at the end, that is perfect for either a giant storytime read-aloud or a one on one cuddle. This is a great addition for all those monster storytimes or Halloween displays that need an extra monster or two.
  • Nighty Night, Little Green Monster
  • Even Monsters Need Haircuts
  • Nighttime Ninja
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • How to Train a Train
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
Ed Vere has been writing and illustrating children’s books since 1999. He is also a fine art painter and is represented by galleries in London and Los Angeles. He lives in London.
More about Ed Vere...