Start by marking “Bedtime For Monsters” as Want to Read:
Bedtime For Monsters

Bedtime For Monsters

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  71 reviews

In this hilarious bedtime story, a monster is licking his lips . . . maybe he’s thinking about eating a bedtime snack? And what if that snack just happened to be you? Gulp! He’s getting closer and closer . . . and his tummy is rumbling really loudly. But all this monster actually wants is a sloppy monster-sized goodnight kiss!

Published by Puffin Books (first published May 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime For Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime For Monsters

Mari
I really enjoyed this one, but it is a little dark. What if there are monsters. . .and what if one is coming to eat you?! It's actually quite a silly and sweet monster, but you don't find this out until MUCH later. Most of the book is a build up to a monster sneaking into a kiddo's room, with the possible intention of having a child for a snack. I would love to share this with a group, but I'm hesitant. I keep thinking of the sweet, sensitive kids who might not be able to get the vision of a mea ...more
Melissa
"...maybe he's thinking about you in an eating-you-up kind of way?"

Reminded me of both When a Monster is Born and Going on a Bear Hunt. Some children will definitely be too stressed by the idea of a monster on its way to their door to enjoy this at all, but the kids who make it through to the end of the story might wind up with a story they can enjoy re-reading and practicing their I-don't-have-to-worry-it's-just-a-book skills.

Would be fun to pull out for a Valentine storytime.
Elisabeth
Tried this in story time with preschoolers - I could tell part way through - not a great idea. I kind of had to hurry through it so they knew the monster was not coming to eat them! :| My own preschooler loved it, but snuggling with your mom helps with the bravery factor I'm sure!
Erin
I'm not impressed with this book. While the book isn't awful, I find the idea that a monster who is coming to eat you is slightly disturbing. And ending with a kiss being worse than a monster eating you mixes up priorities a little.
Heather
This is too freaking cute, lots of great noises/interaction with kids for storytime. I am so taking this on all my outreaches and doing this for my next storytime :)
Sandi Rossman
I reviewed this book for the choice category (picture book assignment). The source was the Children's Choices 2013 Reading List.

Children everywhere are sure to be nervous, if not scared, as they contemplate a monster coming for them at bedtime. However, the silly ending will have kids shrieking in fits of giggles instead of fits of terror. As a monster travels through the land to get to the reader, his intentions are not scary- just loving!

The pictures in this book seem to come right out of a c
Mary
This book is so cute! It is charming and wonderful for young children and their parents to read together at bedtime. It gives the impression of being somewhat scary at first, but it resolves in a very sweet way. The pictures are fabulous and the text is short and sweet with lots of variation in print styles.
Fred
It's not really original. I think it would be kind of funny if childrens were just a little scared of monsters, because if i'd be a lot scared, this book wouldn't make me feel any better. The illustrations aren't really awesome aswell.
Alyssa
If you read this with a clear sense of humor to your little ones, they will find it funny. Stop and ask silly questions along the way, help them think it through.
Brianna
At first when I read this book I didn't know what to think. All they were talking about was how this monster is coming through the woods with his knife, and fork to your house to eat you. if i was a little kid this would probably scare me at first, but when you read more into the story you find out that the monster only wants a goodnight kiss. i guess in a way this book is good because usually little kids are afraid of the dark, and monsters, but all this monster wants is a simple kiss, and goes ...more
Eliza
My toddler William has become obsessed with this book, but I don't mind reading it over and over again. I've noticed that a surprising number of picture books don't actually work that well for read-alouds, but the language in Bedtime for Monsters is just delightful, plus there is a lot of onomatopoeia which is fun and helps keep Will engaged. The illustrations are great too - our favorite is at the very end where the monster is asleep with his stuffed animal. I bought a copy because we've been r ...more
Kayla Quinn
This book is geared to boys because it is talking about a monster. I really liked how the author of this book went in great detail describing the monster, and what he likes to do. The book was talking about how the monster would go about eating his victims. In the end, all he really wanted was to give sloppy kisses. The book also described that all monsters need to go to bed just like all young children do. I think that this would be a great book to read to a child who is struggling to go to bed ...more
Kelsey
Seasons: Halloween

Supposing monsters existed, do you think one might be thinking about you? And supposing this monster is, do you think maybe he's thinking about eating you up? A fun cumulative tale for kids that love to get scared.

There is definitely a proper way to read this story to your kids. Do NOT read it in a bone chilling voice. Do NOT distance yourself from them as you read it. But DO tickle and keep your child near as you read and play along with the story. The reassuring ending can sh
Stefanie
I have a soft spot for monster books.
Kathy Ellen Davis
I liked the premise of this book.
The monsters are the right combo of cute and scary.
And the tension is built up really well!

There's some great words to say in this one too,
some great sound effects even.

I think I was let down a little bit by the ending.
I have to admit I didn't see it coming, and thought it was very clever.

But I wasn't entirely satisfied.
That said, I think kids will really like it though.
It's funny and they'll giggle thinking about this monster coming after them!

Joella www.cinjoella.com
Why do you think this monster is smiling? Perhaps it is because he is HUNGRY and is coming to EAT YOU?!? The monster goes on a grand adventure with loads of sound effects so that he can come and get you. Of course there is a monster of a surprise at the end, that is perfect for either a giant storytime read-aloud or a one on one cuddle. This is a great addition for all those monster storytimes or Halloween displays that need an extra monster or two.
Samantha Sebastian
I feel if I were a child reading this book or having this book read to me I would be somewhat frightened. The author goes into immense detail of what the monsters looks like and likes to do to his victims. The ending helped make it a more kid friendly book saying all he wanted was a sloppy kiss and he could fall asleep, not to eat you as a nighttime snack! The illustrations were good and so was the story itself although somewhat frightening.
Stephanie Martin
Picture Book 46: I loved this book. Such a great book to read to your children at bedtime. I loved the font that they used and how they bolded specific words and made some words look creepy. They made some words huge and some words small depending on what it said. Also I liked how they used onomatopoeia like "bump bumpity bump" because I think that doing that really grabs the reader's attention! Such a great and fun book.
Library Quine
There is a familar feel about this storyline with the immanent arrival of monsters ready to eat you up, but finishing instead with a big kiss. The images are great and the colours beautiful, but it's possibly not one for sensitive children. That said, it would be a good choice for a Halloween story time, beating ghouls, ghosts and exotic pumpkins (shame there aren't more books featuring the native *neep!).
Emily
I'm not too sure how I really feel about this book. For a book being for young readers, PreK-3, I don't thing reading this book to young children would benefit them in any way. I'm pretty sure the children would have nightmares when they read that the monster is on its way to their house with a knife and fork and its going to eat them. I just don't feel like it was appropriate for a children's book.
Becca Calvin
This book would be a perfect book for Halloween and talking about scary monsters. It was a good book that because a good teacher could make this very interactive. You could ask all the kids how they felt about the monster thinking about you in an eating-you-up kind of way. Or if they are scared yet. It would be a fun book to read with all the children and it will get them to use their imagination.
Sandi
A great book to snuggle under the covers and read with your favorite little monster(s). A bit spooky (if read correctly), a bit suspenseful (again, if read correctly) and a whole lot of silly fun! Do you believe in monsters? And do you think that right now a monster is thinking about you? And if you do think that, do you think he's licking he's hungry and licking his lips? ... :)
Heather
44 months - O was very excited about this book and had to have a look at it in the car on the way home from the library. But then when we read it it was really difficult to get her excited about it. I tried emphasizing sounds and asking her questions and such and she really wasn't overly interested. OK story and illustrations otherwise just didn't turn out to be a big hit.
Jessica Anthony
This silly book is a great book to read a child that might have a bedtime fear of "monsters". It teaches children that reactions are what feed things. while turning the pages of this book not one child will think scary or mean monsters but instead giggle at the silliness of each monster introduced to this story line. it is also an easy read book for beginner readers.
Amanda Wilson
I am on the border with this book, i thought it was cute, but i also think that you would need to know the developmental aspects of the child your reading it to. This book might be a little scary to a young child as he is trying to eat you. as an adult this book is cute, but i think children should have an understanding that monsters dont actually exist first!
Desiree Kulewsky
This book was so funny and awesome! I loved every part of this book. From the pictures and colors, to the words and storyline. I laughed and loved the ending and think it would be a great and silly book for kids young and old. I think it will also be good for kids that are still a little afraid of monsters because it makes them look and sound funny.
Samma
I can't wait to read this to my monster-loving niece. It's one of those stories...where, you're pretty sure you know where it's going but a kid might be at the edge of their seat...is the monster REALLY going to EAT me?! The art work is soft and cuddly feeling with lots of round edges. I loved it!
Lara
Ehhh...kind of cute, and with fun illustrations, but not one that really made me laugh or want to read it again. I can see it being kind of a fun book for kids who maybe like to be scared just a little, especially since it ends with humor, but it's not one that really stands out to me.
Angie
Cute story. I didn't forsee the ending. As I was reading I was thinking of what my bug a boo would think of this book. I think she would be freaked out at first (she is afraid of monsters), but she would giggle at the ending.

Recommended for good Halloween or bedtime fun!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Love Monster
  • More Bears!
  • Monster Mash
  • Big Mean Mike
Ed Vere has been writing and illustrating children’s books since 1999. He is also a fine art painter and is represented by galleries in London and Los Angeles. He lives in London.
More about Ed Vere...