Start by marking “The Unwanted” as Want to Read:
The Unwanted

The Unwanted

This harrowing psychological thriller chronicles the happenings within a remote adolescent reformatory. Its unpredictable storyline will unnerve and frighten even the most avid readers.
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Unwanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unwanted

Bandit
May 24, 2014 Bandit rated it it was amazing
It's quite unusual for a kindle freebie from an unknown author to be this good. Unusual and awesome, this is the sort of thing that justifies trying out plethora of new authors on kindle, this is the sort of story one hopes to find. Home for disturbed youth turned into a brutal murderous coven stirred into action by an arrival of the new girl. Can the institution's strict house mother and her most dependable worker survive the night. That's basically the plot summary, a dark brutal psychological ...more
Katy
Mar 23, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of dark fiction/horror
Shelves: ebook
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this eBook from the author in exchange for an honest review. Review originally posted Feb. 2012

My Synopsis: Jessica is a very abused young woman who has just been brought to the Pine Grove School – a detention center for juveniles. Jessica was molested by her father, and when she stood up to him, he burned off her lips with a clothes iron. Nancy, the head of the dorm into which Jessica is introduced, has difficulty relating to her charges, but wants to help
Pamellia
Mar 18, 2014 Pamellia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Fun, scary and a fast read. Nice imagery.
Racheal
Oct 26, 2014 Racheal rated it did not like it
well that was odd........
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
This was a strange and slightly disturbing read. It felt like there were a lot of different sub-plots going on which would've worked if this has been a longer story. As it stands, I didn't feel like I got to really know any of the characters or their motivations, and in turn, did not care what happened to any of them. Other reviewers have remarked on the sudden or lack of an ending but I was perfectly fine with it since I didn't feel the need to know what would happen next.

There are some gruesom
Ken
Aug 09, 2016 Ken rated it it was ok
The biggest thing working against this book is its length. Winn tries to do a whole lot in a very small space. As a result, the character development suffered, the hatred for the house mother that the children felt fell flat, the power that the antagonist had over the other children seemed to evolve from nothing and the ending was abrupt.

The plot itself is not bad. The couple of characters that Winn takes time to flesh out are believable and well written. There was just so much more that could h
Ashley Fae
Jun 20, 2014 Ashley Fae rated it liked it
To be honest, I could not get in to this book because of the lack of editing. It drove me crazy. From words capitalized that shouldn't be to the incessant rambling. I actually stopped reading at chapter 17. I just couldn't take it any longer.
The storyline was interesting and I wanted to see how it played out. Very reminiscent of Lord of the Flies, but interesting nonetheless. If this novella was ever edited properly I would definitely try to read it again.
Denise
Jan 15, 2013 Denise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: binned
I'm assuming this was only written to shock. I found it crude and stomach turning. The description made me want to read the book, it sounded like it could really be interesting- but it was just too much. Am I too easily offended? I don't know, I didn't think so.
Nev Murray
Nov 11, 2014 Nev Murray rated it liked it
This is set in a correctional facility for seriously screwed up kids. Not a mindblower but a good short story all the same. Not for the feint hearted either so make sure your gag reflex is set to stun.
Christina
Aug 20, 2012 Christina rated it it was ok
This book certainly had disturbing elements to it but I would say it's more of a thriller/suspense book. If you're into suspense, I would recommend it.
Blaine Hurt
To the point

over all this story left me expecting more. the story seemed rushed and "here it is". not a very creepy read but it had moments of excitement.
Sharon
Nov 27, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Definitely a female version of Lord of the Flies.....maybe even more brutal. I liked Lord of the Flies better, however I am intrigued to read another book by this author.
Tabetha Stiles
Dec 29, 2013 Tabetha Stiles rated it it was amazing
Gripping

Masterful story telling. An edge of your seat read! Left me wanting to know what happens after the story ended..
Angel
Oct 22, 2015 Angel rated it it was ok
It was a good story for a short read. There was just enough information about each character. The story is farfetched, but still entertaining.
Laura Gibbs
Laura Gibbs rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Aja Johnson-ocampo
Aja Johnson-ocampo rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Patt Lisenbee
Patt Lisenbee rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Barbara Duckett
Jan 27, 2013 Barbara Duckett rated it liked it
Strange story. Could have been a really good story til it changed direction.
Adam Ickes
Adam Ickes rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Timothy
Timothy rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Naomi
Dec 02, 2014 Naomi rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-series
There is some language and cruelty not recommended for children under 12
Paula
Paula rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Desiree
Desiree rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Colette Acosta
Colette Acosta rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014