Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)

Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Will Besting and the other teens whose phobias were "cured" at Fort Eden have been summoned back by Mrs. Goring. Her dying wish is to see them together one last time. Or is it?

Ensnared in a dangerous, ever-deepening mystery, Will must lead his friends through a perilous underground trap masterminded by two devious souls at war with each other. It's a game of cat and mouse,...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Eve of Destruction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eve of Destruction

Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
120th out of 144 books — 845 voters
The Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaThe Selection by Kiera CassGrave Mercy by Robin LaFeversUnraveling by Elizabeth NorrisMasque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
2012 April YA Releases
41st out of 87 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Dark Eden made my short list of 5-stars last year. It was creeptastic and thrilling; I loved it. Suffice it to say, I was highly anticipating this sequel. However, I don't know if the author took a different approach, or if these are things I failed to notice in the first book, but among other things, I was mostly bothered by the writing style.

There IS such a thing as too much detail - in particular, too many clarifications to where it comes off as a tad juvenile. Or as though I'm not intelligen...more
Maggie
Pshhh, it's a Patrick Carman book, OBVIOUSLY it's gonna be epic!!!!
Jamieson
With Dark Eden, Patrick Carman introduced us to The Seven: Will, Marissa, Kate, Alex, Connor, Ben and Avery. Seven teenagers that each had a life crippling fear. They were brought by Dr. Stevens to Fort Eden where a cure for each of them awaited at the hands of Rainsford. Seven cures that used their own fears against them so that they could be freed of their fears.

But the cure took something from each of them and gave them something in return-for each of the cures gave each of the Seven an ailme...more
Amanda
When I first saw that there was going to be a sequel to Dark Eden, I wasn't sure what to think. I really didn't know how there could be a sequel, considering how the first book was put together and how it ended. The ending, though not too perfect for the good guys, pretty much tied up all the loose ends and left little for any subsequent novels (unless, perhaps, it involved different characters). I was still optimistic, however, since I enjoyed Dark Eden so much. Though some would say that the p...more
Gary
...Because Mrs. Goring said so!

That one sentence pretty much sums up the ENTIRE plot of this book. It is basically a rehash of book one plot, and even in that, only one new 'character' was introduced* Absolutely nothing drives this plot forward, because you know who is who, and what they're doing. But because you're not supposed to know (gimmie a break author) it all degenerates back to that first sentence: Because Mrs. Going said so. And that isn't reason enough to enjoy getting through this bo...more
W
Jul 04, 2012 W rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012-read
Last year, Will Besting and six other teens were miraculously cured of their paralyzing fears at Fort Eden. What they didn't bargain for were the debilitating side effects -- arthritis, hearing loss, narcolepsy, and dizzy spells. When the sinister Mrs. Goring offers them an opportunity to get back the pieces of their youth and in the process destroy the man that caused them, they jump at the opportunity. They didn't however, expect once more to be trapped underground in a nuclear reactor, workin...more
Gary
I know, I know -- I've been pretty harsh on the first book. Yet there's this compelling need to find out what happens after the first book ended. I never expected something greater, and I was right.

The Story:

Ashley Ferguson
As seen at The A P Book Club

Dark Eden 2 was very much like Dark Eden - same characters, similar set up, and same villain. However, I enjoyed this one better than the first one. I thought the whole battling death to defeat am immortal being was interesting, and I kind of liked how Will was forced to watch everything from afar - like he had chosen to do in the first book.

The only thing I was kind of concerned about was that the kids trusted Mrs. Goring in any capacity. She had done nothing in Dar...more
Brenna{#1 Hg Fan!}

Movie Rating: PG-13 for language and sequences of peril
Book Rating: @@@@@
Swearing: small stuff like h*** and d*** and one big use of b*****d
Inappropriate Scenes: None
# of Pages: 277 (harcover)
Genre: YA Thriller
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

I've just got to brag about this: "I figured it out about Amy! I figured it out about Amy!" Hehehehehehehehehe! :) Now onto the review: I loved loved loved this Dark Eden! The cover, the characters, the plot... And now...more
Specialk
My jury is still out on this book, so it’s a tough one to write a review for. I finished the book – which I seldom will do if I don’t like it. But, it was just so...unbelievable! I know that characters often make decisions that leave you screaming “Why? WHY!?” loudly at the book.

But before I get there, let’s talk about Carman’s use of multimedia this time around. It was actually pretty neat. The first few chapters of the book have footnotes scattered throughout that instruct you to visit www.wil...more
Once Upon
Fresh new ideas in books are always welcome. Especially, when nowadays, once a topic gets “hot” it seems like many, try to cash in with their own unique version. In the series of Dark Eden, I was greatly surprised to find such a unique way of storytelling. The book itself, Dark Eden 2, is a creepy thriller, which is immaculately written. The characters are very realistic, in a way that they grow and react like an average person. The flow of the book moves along quickly, while at the same time te...more
Paul Decker
Find this review and more at The AP Book Club

Do you remember school book fairs? The ones at my school usually were in the library and there were stacks, bins, and shelves full of paperback books on sale. These books had that feeling to them. They weren't epic stories, but they were entertaining. There wasn't anything edgy about the series. The fears were interesting, but the most controversial bit was one line in the first few chapters that wasn't expanded upon questioning Alex's sexuality. I wa...more
Pixie/PageTurners(Amber) C.
The Dark Eden series is a very unique and frightening story-line that will keep entertained until the end.

Eve of Destruction picks up a year after Will and 6 others were "cured" of their debilitating fears, a year that Will has been lying to everyone about what really happened to them at Fort Eden; a year, in which Will has been waiting to seek revenge on Rainsford, and put a stop to his reign of terror. When Will gets a note claiming that Mrs. Going wants to see them one last time before she di...more
Faye

So... just from reading most reviews on this book, I figured it's one that either you're going to love or hate the author. For me when I finished this book I wasn't sure which one I was...

A love hate relationship? I was incredibly surprised, I thought this book would've been completely amazing if the author had returned to the same settings but with new characters... So it wouldn't be a sequel but an alternate universe? But followed the same plot? I think that'd just be amazing. <3

I think he...more
Erikka
Ugh...the first one was fantastic! What happened?! Just an ungodly amount of over-the-top clarification...we aren't imbeciles! For example, can you let me meet the characters throughout? They don't need to be listed out three times in the first chapter! And if he calls Ben "Ben Dugan" one more time, I'll scream--we know who Ben is! There is a lovely concept called "show, don't tell"...Carman could use a few lessons in it.

Also, this is a sequel. Why do I need a rehashing of the entire first book...more
Kris
In 'Eve of Destruction' seven teens return to Fort Eden at the request of Mrs. Goring. Previously, Mrs. Goring and Dr. Rainsford had cured the teens of their deepest fears, however while curing their fears Dr. Rainsford also inflicted each teen with a physical ailment. Mrs. Goring convinced the teens to return to attempt to regain their health and seek their revenge on the Doctor.

The book is a YA and as written, didn't appeal to me. It was a short and easy read, and the premise of the story was...more
Haley
For some reason I wasn’t very thrilled reading this book. Sure, I read it in one day, but I was mostly just skipping through it, confused what was going on. I was kind of bored. The setting was pretty interesting, and all the radio-active stuff seemed pretty scary, but the characters still felt pretty flat to me. I actually think that Dark Eden should have been a stand-alone. 13 Days Till Midnight was a stand-alone, and that book was awesome! So why the sequel? Having characters with all those a...more
Renee King - Hooks
Apr 07, 2012 Renee King - Hooks rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA and Adults
Recommended to Renee by: First Read Win from Mr. Carman and Goodreads.
I've finished Mr. Carman's latest book and it's really good. I received an uncorrected proof from Patrick and was delighted. Even though it's classified a YA I found it very interesting. A wonderful plot and great characters.

Will Besting and his six friends have been cured of their phobias (or have they), thanks to Fort Eden and Dr. Rainsford. But now a year later Ms. Goring, white headed, boot wearing, gestapo wantabe is dying and she wants the seven to visit her one last time - thus our advent...more
Frankie
This book contains countless unexpected twists and turns all the way down to the last page.

This is why I love Patrick Carman's books!

There is plenty of danger involved when the setting is an underground missle silo with trace amounts of radiation, electrified water, and unstable flooring. (view spoiler)...more
Angel Brown
I was rather disappointed with the first book but reading this changed that and brought it together wonderfully! Now I see the first book was necessary to set the character of the story for book #2! Definitely a good read.
Sushi360
A thrilling book with its twists and turns that made me hold breath my pulse was racig because of the thrilling read! An amazing novel if you like a thrill and suspense.
Jasmine Rose
I have pretty much the same feelings about Dark Eden 2: Eve of Destruction as I did about its predecessor. Which is to say, it was a good, quick read, but it wasn’t fantastic. I still didn’t really care for any of the characters much one way or the other. The creep factor was actually down a little more in this one since all the mystery was gone and the tiny little mystery that existed I figured out almost from the beginning. Basically, if you enjoyed Dark Eden then you’ll probably enjoy Eve of...more
Renae
Ok, mythbusters.

I'm going to call this "implausible." Not because of the supernatural elements of the main plot. But because of the whole (view spoiler) thing.

This just seemed throughout to be a little too conveniently and implausibly plotted. Will also spends a lot of time during what should be a terrifying experience mooning over Marisa.

It was just...meh. Not held togethe...more
Melanie
I really LOVED Dark Eden so I was really looking forward to this sequel. Unfornuately this did not keep my interest as much as the first book. I did still really love the story and the adventure they go through in the underground trap. I loved the ending and was happy to get all the answers to the questions not answered in the first book. But the characters did irritate me many times in this novel with their naive decisions, judgement and comments. But overall it was still a good solid sequel fo...more
Carla Latham
Aug 02, 2012 Carla Latham rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA and up
I received this book in the Goodreads book giveaway.

I hadn't read the first book, but I don't think I needed to. This book was easy to pick up and follow what was going on. I found myself pulled into the book and did not want to put it down until I finished it. It really was a page-turner!

I would definitely recommend this to all YA and up who like mysteries and thrillers. It reminded me of the James Patterson book, "When the Wind Blows", except Mr. Carman's writing was much better...

Ji Mei ^_^
I like how Patrick Carman makes this book so suspenseful and it's from the point of view of a kid stuck in a room for most of the book. The concept is interesting and I like how he ties the book with videos he has on a website. Reminds me of Atherton. I didn't like the cursing(even if it's not that much), because he didn't have those words in the first book. Overall it is just as good as the first.
Shelby
This book held my attention, but I skimmed a lot of it. I liked how it was creepy, suspensful, and had a completely surpising ending. On the other hand, I just didn't really like the writing style. I think I liked the first book in this series more, but the sequel was still a pretty good read. I'm glad I read it because I was able to see how everything turned out.
Mandy
Mrs. Goring contacts Will and asks for him and the others whose fears were cured to return to Fort Eden. Everyone is shocked to learn Mrs, Goring and Will shared a secret about the man Rainsford who cured them. Now Mrs. Goring wants revenge on Rainsford, and it's up to Will and the others to carry it out for her.
Kathy
OK, so the sequel was pretty good, it satisfied my curiousity, my need for Davis/Rainsford's end...cause you know the bad guys always lose. It was very interesting the way it ended, the story, Davis/Rainsford's demise, how they were cured again, it was a good ending to the story.
Brendan Joe Frankowski
This book was really interesting. I especially enjoyed the parts where Will was in the observation room and looking at everybody from afar and telling everybody where to go and what to do next. The whole idea of it being in a nuclear silo underground at Fort Eden was a great book idea.
If you were sent to Fort Eden... 7 2 May 26, 2013 06:49PM
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • The Villain Virus (NERDS, #4)
  • Kitty Hawk (I, Q, #3)
  • The Blue Door (The Threshold #1)
  • Timestorm (Tempest, #3)
  • Ghosts (Hex, #3)
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • The Long Way Home (The Homelanders #2)
  • Invisible City (The Joshua Files, #1)
  • Seduced by Pain: Rose's Trilogy (The Seduced Saga, #2)
  • Second Chance (The Slayer Chronicles, #2)
  • Joshua Dread
  • Council of Evil (Villain.Net, #1)
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • Double Vision (Double Vision, #1)
  • Fall from Grace
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P...more
More about Patrick Carman...
The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5) The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon, #1) Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2) The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3) Skeleton Creek (Skeleton Creek, #1)