Start by marking “The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3)

The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles #3)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  74,847 Ratings  ·  3,780 Reviews
He's b-a-a-ack! Despite their best efforts, Carter and Sadie Kane can't seem to keep Apophis, the chaos snake, down. Now Apophis is threatening to plunge the world into eternal darkness, and the Kanes are faced with the impossible task of having to destroy him once and for all. Unfortunately, the magicians of the House of Life are on the brink of civil war, the gods are di ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Serpent's Shadow, please sign up.

Tanae I believe Rick Riordan is making a third book and its going to be something about how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover meet Sadie and Carter. I think this…more I believe Rick Riordan is making a third book and its going to be something about how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover meet Sadie and Carter. I think this will be an amazing book, so just wait on it. (less)
Catnip Everdeen Grace is right it is in the same world. Read red pyramid, first few chapters, Amos makes a reference to the Greek gods. To the person commenting, yes,…moreGrace is right it is in the same world. Read red pyramid, first few chapters, Amos makes a reference to the Greek gods. To the person commenting, yes, they did crossover, Crown of Ptolemy, THE 3RD BOOK is out.(less)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
54th out of 2,453 books — 15,881 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothGone Girl by Gillian FlynnCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books of 2012
23rd out of 3,186 books — 9,430 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellie
Dec 19, 2014 Ellie rated it it was amazing
*edit, a few years later* Please excuse the unrestrained, hysterical ranting below. It was late and I was twelve.

--------

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE ONLY A TRILOGY?!?!?!?!? DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN!!!!!!!!!!! 5 OR AT LEAST 4 BOOKS PLEEEAAAAAAAAAZEEEEEE RICK RIORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!! S&A S&A S&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&A ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!!!!! "The Kane Chronicles is currently set to be a trilogy, making this the final ins
Ninzy Flores
can't believe this is the last !
*puts an Imperius curse on Riordan*
*Imperio! don't end the Kane Chronicles series!*

--> hahaha =) well that sounded really lame .
Tabi Card
Oct 23, 2014 Tabi Card rated it it was amazing
Ok, now I have to wait for this too!?! Still waiting till the The Son of Neptune comes out!
Well, not that too many months away I guess. I wonder if there will be anymore hints about the Manhattan side of the river.....
My brother thinks it would be pretty cool if the Kanes met Percy....

WOW!!!! Just saw the COVER!!!! BEST. ONE. YET. CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!!!!! Rick Riordan has done it again. Really wraps up this trilgoy...with hints to a possible follow-up.
Ro
As much as this pained me—which was a a lot, since I’m a big fan of Rick Riordan—I rated The Serpent's Shadow with a very HIGH 3.5 stars. :(

Why? What went wrong?

Allow me to start off with an obvious fact about my regards to The Kane Chronicles in general: Like many other people, I preferred the Percy Jackson and the Olympians over The Kane Chronicles. With that said, I also have to admit I consist of more knowledge on Greek mythology than Egyptian mythology. However, I loved studying both types
Aj the Ravenous Reader
An amazing finale to a series I've come to love. Although I will miss Sadie and Carter so bad, I know they belong to characters I certainly will not forget. I wouldn't mind reading the series all over again to be reminded. :)
Daelyn Bentley-Gottel
May 09, 2012 Daelyn Bentley-Gottel rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!!! as usual. Not as much split-your-side humor in this one, but the chapter titles are still hilarious and there are some awesome one-liners in here. Oh, and don't even forget the Sadie-Walt-Anubis triangle. Can you say PLOT TWIST? Definitely didn't see that coming, but I loved it. There are several twists that will make you devour the book, and it's totally worth it.5 stars, no doubt.
Nels Paulson
May 30, 2012 Nels Paulson rated it really liked it
The one and only issue with the book is that we know from the very beginning that we win. It basically starts saying sorry, but at least we stopped doomsday. Even that, because of the tone of the books, really isn't that big of a deal. The series is fun and entertaining. It is chalked with brother sister relationship fun.

And best of all they hint at the End that there are other gods out there that they might encounter. As in the series, they already hinted that this is the same exact world Percy
Hayden
Mar 15, 2015 Hayden marked it as how-bout-no
I'm so glad he's making this a trilogy and he's not going to continue the series for ages and ages and never end it. If that was the case, you can kiss THE THRONE OF FIRE off my reading list.
P.Z.
Jun 26, 2015 P.Z. rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
อานจบทังสามเลมแลวในหัวเรามีแตภาพหุน Transformer พระเอกเขาไปฟิวชันกับบัมเบิลบีไรงี คือระหวางเคนกับเพอรซียจะมีจุดทีคอนขางตางกันชัดเจนคือเคนจะใหเทพเจามาสิงราง ถาไมใชพลังจากเทพเจา จะใหอารมณการวาดรูนเหมือนตัวละครใน The Mortal Instruments เลย สวนเพอรซียจะไดรับพลังมาจากเทพเจา สิงทีเราแอบขัดใจเลกๆคือความบังเอิญในเนือเรืองทีดูเหมือนวาจะบังเอิญเกินไปหลายครังจนนาหมันไส 555 แบบกำลังเขาตาจน ความชวยเหลือจะมาพอดี พยายามคิดอยูเสมอวานีเปนหนังสือ Middle Grade อานแลวเหมือนดูการตูร ทีอะไรกเปนไปไดทังนัน ขนาดออโรรา(S ...more
Mary
Apr 12, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
More people should be reading this series, tbh.
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
EDIT: 01/13/13 Just saw how wrong some of my grammar were in this review and how I did not properly explained why I only gave this book 2 stars. So, I guess I shall rewrite it. Anyway, as of now, I shall warn you about this review I wrote. 1st: It is angsty. 2nd: there are a lot of wrong grammars. 3rd: I failed to explain my side logically. 4th: I think I misunderstood the ending (but that still didn't change my perspective to this whole trilogy). 5th: If you LOVE the ending of this book, I re ...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
OH BOY. The third Kane Chronicles book! (And the last one too, I think ... AAAAH.) Pretty cover. It has a giant phallus in the background. I mean, the Washington Monument.
Booknut
The third (and hopefully not final) instalment in the series, The Serpent's Shadow brings to light the upcoming apocalypse. Except, it isn't upcoming. It's here. The showdown we've all been waiting for - Apophis vs Ra, The Way of the Gods vs the House of Life, Good vs Evil and Protein Bars vs Macho Nachos. But, as usual, nothing goes to plan.

The Kanes face a dilemma. Apophis, using the power of Chaos, is slowly destroying the artefacts that could lead to his destruction. When the Book of Overcom
Savi3
May 08, 2012 Savi3 rated it it was amazing
Um well frigging amazing!! Any fans of rick? Well have you read the lost hero and remember the awesome aphrodite kids that helped piper and then there was drew well... Just like the first line on the back of the book THEY ARE BACK!!!! And apperently Sadie is all buddy buddy with Lucy and hates drew... Just one more reason I wish Sadie Kane was real so I could hug her! And OMG!!!! Zia and Carter!!! Now we need a awesome name like percabeth(Percy Annabeth) or Jipper( Jason piper) or even Peo(piper ...more
Negar
Jan 20, 2015 Negar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
1- This five star rating I gave this book, is not the same 5-star that I gave The Lord of Rings or Blindness or many other books. So this doesn't necessarily mean that this book can be compared to them. It's just means that the book was as good as I expected it to be.

2- I - MOSTLY - like the romances and the relationships in Riordan's books. They're cute and not much unbearable. Stories of Sadie with Anubis/Walt and Carter with Zia was good and understandable, even when (view spoiler)
Mith

Well that was a fun ride! Having started off sluggishly, the (supposed) trilogy didn't exactly end with a bang, but there were quite some fireworks in there nonetheless.

I say "supposed" because the very last paragraph in the book hints at a Heroes Of Olympus/Kane Chronicles crossover (I have a feeling we're going to run into Setne and the Book of Thoth pretty soon - say, September 2012?)! That should be interesting :)
Namratha
APOPHIS : the mighty red snake/ the Lord of Chaos/ the swallower of the Sun/ the architect of doomsday/ the initiator of the Apocalypse/ the writhing, fuming, hissing gargantuan reptile that makes dear ol’Nagini look like an earthworm that wriggled out on a rainy day....yep, ol’Apophis has risen.

And the only people who have a fighting chance against him are the young brother-sister duo of Carter and Sadie Kane. The twosome are strong Egyptian magicians, who follow the paths of Horusand Isis resp
K.
May 16, 2012 K. rated it really liked it
Just read this with the kids. I still love Carter & Sadie, the plot was well done, interesting and fun, writing funny, etc. Sometimes it had me in stitches (and I loved hearing my 10yo giggle her head off reading it). Riordan creates the funniest chapter headings since I don't know who.

However, I still DON'T love the very early teen romance. Riordan seemed to do better with Carter & Zia in this one, it was light and puppy-ish and more about friendship. Sadie and her two lovers were a di
Rose
Dec 25, 2015 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Che dire ? Un ultimo capitolo con i fiocchi.
Mi è piaciuto molto e qui ritroviamo un po della classica ironia di Rick che nei primi due aveva abbandonato un po'. Un' altra cosa che mi è piaciuta è lo sviluppo del rapporto tra i due protagonisti Sadie e Carter, nel corso dei tre libri si sono avvicinati tantissimo e si vede benissimo dalla complicità fraterna.
E poi cè il grande Anubi ! Non mi è particolarmente piaciuta la scelta di Rick, per Walt poteva inventarsi altro, ma non unire i due, e
Jenny {Ms. Diamond Eye}
This book:

And the whole series:

Actual Rating: 4,5 all about Ancient Egypt Stars...

~Few things about this book and the whole series that i liked.:
*It's all about Ancient Egypt (myths,spells,gods,monsters etc. etc. etc.),(It's true that i learned many more things now about ancient Egypt than i did before. Thank you, Mr. Rick Riordan!)
* The dual POV'S! (Carter's and Sadie's. But if you ask me which POV i have liked i will say to you that i can't choose because both POVS were great,but ok,confiden
Sesana
Apr 26, 2014 Sesana rated it liked it
At this point, I wasn't surprised that I found the third book in the Kane Chronicles to be little more than passable. I still appreciate Riordan's take on Egyptian mythology and magic, and that both are very distinct from the way he treats Greek and Roman myths. He always has a knack for setting a scene, and he writes action really well.

Those are the positives. I still don't particularly care for either Carter or Sadie, which is a huge drawback in a series that entirely revolves around the two o
Madeleine - Tei
May 07, 2012 Madeleine - Tei rated it it was ok
I really want this now... unfortunately the wait will be looong, we don't even know when it will come out. Ayah, for now we must wait, and read other books, preferably other Rick Riordan books and perhaps some of Brandon Mull and Henry Neff.

Erm. Not really worth the wait. While I waited I started reading more classics, some fantasy, some biographies. Now this feels like junk. For some reason I've started to look at the mechanical parts of books as well as fan service.

Mechanically, this book d
Jonathan

The Serpent's Shadow is a solid, fun conclusion to Rick Riordan's Egyptian version of mythology brought into the modern world. It also hints that possibly in the future there could be some Demigods and Magicians meeting up (and possibly could we see the Norse demigods featuring also?). I will admit that when it comes to children's fiction I love Rick Riordan's work. It's entertaining, features ideas and elements I love in fantasy and generally does what strong children's fiction should - be appl
Nikki
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS LAST BOOK FOR AGES! Actually, just a year, but that's still a lot of waiting.

Rick Riordan's always been among my favorite authors so it's not surprising this one nailed it. Like, REALLY nailed! I loved it! :D The plot was great, the characters were awesome, and can I just say I think Anubis is the embodiment (well, as close to embodiment gods go) of uber hotness?

The microscopic downside (because the book was still mind-blowing despite this) of this book was that it s
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has also been cross-posted on my Happy Indulgence Blog, check it out for more reviews!

Carter and Sadie Kane are descendents of the House of Life, an Egyptian temple of magic. In The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire, the Kanes learnt to command their unique abilities and revived the sun god Ra, a worthy opponent to the god of chaos, Apophis. In the third and final installment of this electrifying trilogy, Apophis is hell bent on bringing forth the end of days, and the Kanes have a
Mitch
Jun 05, 2012 Mitch rated it it was amazing
What an awesome ending to the series. By now Rick Riordan has a certain formula for these books which is quite noticeable, but I have to say this one's his best so far. And is it just me, or has The Kane Chronicles really grown up since the first book? The kiddie humor's still here, I was actually laughing more than usual, but there's a not really mature but older feel to this book that I really didn't get from the previous installments. Excellent all around.

Like in every single damn book since
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
And finally the series is finished! This was probably my least favourite of the lot, just because it was a little repetitive, and lacking the same intensity as the other books! Still, The Kane Chronicles is definitely a worthy brother to Percy Jackson and the Olympians!
Yannie
I really hate how little credit is given to this series. Clearly it's not the same as Percy Jackson but bruh it was still hella awesome especially the character development on this one. And that PLOT TWIST, oh my god, that was impressive and I really love the overriding feels and the action-packed adventures in this book. Thanks Uncle Rick!
Karla Martínez
Jan 25, 2015 Karla Martínez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Los libros de Rick Riordan me hacen muy feliz. Me encanto.
Petra
My favorite book in the series. Loved it!

Review in Swedish:

Varför Rick Riordan tillhör mina favoritförfattare blir bara klarare och klarare för varje bok av honom jag läser. Och Kanekrönikan har i mina ögon bara blivit bättre och bättre, så det är kanske inte så konstigt att denna sista bok, Ormens skugga, är den jag gillar mest utav dem.

Handlingen var vansinnigt spännande, och så full av action. Det var knappast en lugn stund, och jag satt som klistrad vid boken. Jag hade så många funderingar
Anubis and Walt *Spoiler Alert* 65 266 Oct 11, 2015 01:40AM
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8)
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages, #2)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • Lost in Babylon (Seven Wonders, #2)
  • The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers, #5)

More about Rick Riordan...

Kane Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles, #2)

“There’s my baby!” I cried, quite carried away. “There’s my Poochiekins!”
Ammit ran at me and leaped into my arms, nuzzling me with his rough snout.
“My lord Osiris!” Disturber lost the bottom of his scroll again, which unraveled around his legs. “This is an outrage!”
“Sadie,” Dad said firmly, “please do not refer to the Devourer of Souls as Poochiekins.”
194 likes