The Rails View

The Rails View

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Working in the View layer requires a breadth of knowledge and attention to detail unlike anywhere else in Rails. One wrong move can result in brittle, complex views that stop future development in its tracks. This book will help you break free from tangles of logic and markup in your views as you pick up the practical skills you need to implement your user interface cleanl...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published March 6th 2012)

Bjoern Rochel
Like a coin this book has two sides. One side where it really shines and, well, one where it doesn't. I really like the parts where it's rails specific and I tend to think that I learned quite a bit regarding view level structuring, the presenter pattern and some useful gems. Since I currently work in a 3.0 app I also appreciated the detailed description of the asset pipeline and how it affects the structuring of javascript files and stylesheets. What I didn't like in particular are those areas...more
Lynn
As a designer working with rails apps, this is the book that I wish every developer on my team had read before starting any project. It gives a real understanding of best practices, helpful tips and tricks that will help developers understand the power of creating clean, semantic views as well as being a good read for designers working with rails 3.1 and the new asset pipeline offering.
Nate Klaiber
I enjoyed this book and the perspective of UX developers versus pure Ruby application developers. I agree with their "Rails View Rules", but I don't necessarily agree with how they arrived at all of their solutions.

They go to great lengths to clean up the views at the expense of one of their core tenants: readability. Maybe this is because their team (context) all agrees to the patterns, but looking from the outside in I felt they took some abstractions a bit too far.

For instance, Rails helpers...more
Katherine
This is for beginners. I did not learn anything new here. I have over 5 years experience in Ruby on Rails.

This is my suggestion for some chapters:

Chapter 1: Some bad examples have to be rewritten. You load JavaScript below closing body tag. Never add that within head tag.
Chapter 3: Prefer SASS import rules over Sprockets require directive.
Read: http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/250...

Chapter 7: Prefer mocks and stubs over factories. They speed up tests by at least 50%. In the long run, you would...more
Stefan Kanev
It's a nice overview of most of the technologies you should know about in Rails, but it does not go into great depth. You can **learn about** a lot of things, but **learn** a lot of things.

The book is great for someone who is just entering the Rails world, or who is not too-experienced in the front-end. It's a good read for seasoned Rails developers too, since there are are a couple of gems for everybody.
Todd
The book is a little lacking when it comes to editing, but it has many good techniques to teach. It's a great book for a back-end Rails developer who needs to take on front-end work after years of being able to delegate or expecting others to do that work.
Michael Bond
I enjoyed the depth provided here. It provides some novel techniques and interesting details that you don't find in the larger books that attempt to do everything.
Kiril Kirilov
Could be better (but also could be worse). This book is satisfying for my current level of Rails understanding.
Orban
A comprehensive reading about the View part of Ruby On Rails.
Brett Mchargue
Excellent description of best practices.
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Lucas Mendelowski
Lucas Mendelowski is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2014
Gonzalez Maxi
Gonzalez Maxi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Tommy Morgan
Tommy Morgan is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2014
Harri
Harri marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Feb 08, 2014
Christoph
Christoph marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Travis Hoyt
Travis Hoyt marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Ole J.
Ole J. marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
M. Scott
M. Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Dechimp
Dechimp marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Ardianta Pargo
Ardianta Pargo marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Nicolas Ledez
Nicolas Ledez is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2013
Rachel Ober
Rachel Ober marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Astrid
Astrid marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Alex
Alex added it
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »