Start by marking “Rama Revealed: The Ultimate Encounter (Rama, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rama Revealed: The Ultimate Encounter (Rama, #4)

Rama Revealed: The Ultimate Encounter (Rama #4)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  7,402 ratings  ·  173 reviews
On its mysterious voyage through interstellar space, a massive alien starship carries its human passengers to the end of a generations-long odyssey. But the great experiment designed by the Ramans has failed, and Rama III has become a battleground. Fleeing a tyrant, a band of humans ventures into the nether regions of the ship, where they encounter an emerald-doomed lair r ...more
Published February 1st 1994 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Rama Revealed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rama Revealed

Kathleen
Read the first book in this series and don't waste your time with the rest. This fourth in the series was a slog from beginning to end, with lots of lame dialogue, pointless detail that never goes anywhere, and a disappointing ending.

I wish I'd just left it at Rendezvous with Rama, which is vintage Arthur C. Clarke. (That book is worth 20 of these sequels!) Lesson Learned: Never trust a book with more than one author.
Jon
Eh. The first book of the series was nice, short and sweet and left me wanting more. The second book (Rama II) had some really interesting characters and settings. [return][return]However, Gardens of Rama and this book both felt long and fell short of expectations. There were some interesting parts, but it felt like it was rushed and not edited heavily enough. There also were a number of loose threads that just never really felt explained. (Was the orange Avian a clone? Did the octospiders alrea ...more
Luis Peres
Along with garden of rama, this conclusion to the story , rama revealed is definetly my all time favorite science fiction saga ever.
Even despite some uninteresting soap opera stuff at the begining, the finall 200 pages of this conclusion are the most satisfying conclusion i ever read to a space saga ever.

This book ended and nicole des jardins stuck in my mind for months on end. Everytime i think of good scifi i remember the ending of this story.
Not only garden of rama and this conclusion rama r
Lauren
This book felt mostly like it was just working towards an inevitability. It did serve to provide some closure to the series, and (perhaps more importantly) gave us some precious insight into the alien cultures, but it doesn't have the driving mystery of the first or the strong character interactions of the second and third.

I'm not sure what it is about hard science fiction series that makes them peter out the longer they go on, but it's certainly something. Longer series have difficulty keeping
Bogdan
I feel this and the other Rama books series except the first one are more like fan fiction. Although fan fiction is not necessarily a bad thing, in the case of this series it went quite wrong. I did not liked any of the original Rama follow-up novel. I cannot think of any of them more than a simple sci-fi pop novel trying to capitalize on a earlier big sales hit. They keep the same types of schematically characters and infantile conflicts. It simply did not managed to win my sympathy, neither wi ...more
Miguel
I liked this end to this series better than the book before it. There is some interesting stuff about the structure of an alien society in here built on speculation about the future of genetic engineering. The part where Rama is revealed is pretty nifty and philosophical, too. Thankfully, there were much fewer flashbacks, but the book/series could have used stronger secondary characters.
Jim McDonnell
(Review applies to 'Rama II, Rama Returns', Rama Revealed', but NOT 'Rendezvous With Rama')

In brief, longer review to follow: FUCKING AWFUL. Do not read. Terrible shame, the collaboration with Gentry 'What A Pitiful Hack Writer' Lee has really dragged the original Rama down.
Anna
The series started out with such a fascinating premise but it all ended with sex, violence, corruption and misunderstandings. I guess that's the message of the series: humans will always screw up Eden. Bummer!
Jp Born
Extremely disappointed in basically all the sequels. I read Return to Rama a few weeks ago, and should have stopped there. I would have been fine with the unresolved ending of the book if the others didn't exist, it's really a perfect, succinctly written sparse perfect mystery that really should never have even attempted to be resolved. These last two books are terrible, I never liked the characters, agree with some reviewer who said that Nicole just started to bore me after so long. The thing t ...more
Lee
So, four years after my first attempt, I've finally finished the Rama series. This book, the fourth and final one in the quadrilogy, is not the worst of the batch. But then being better than the unmitigated drivel that was The Garden of Rama is not a particularly trying task.

Despite my misgivings that all the important things about Rama had been "revealed" in this book's predecessor, we do in fact find out who created Rama and its related infrastructure, and why. It's an answer that I feel shoul
Devon
Ugh. I should have put this series down after book #2.

IMHO, Clarke's biggest flaw is his tendency to spend way too much time describing alien minutia that are not interesting or important. Also, the main character has really worn out her welcome. I'm just tired of her. Not a good sign when you're hoping the hero gets pulled out an airlock so the story can just end faster.

I don't know why I finished it. Maybe I was hoping for some interesting overarching idea of the alien "Ramans", but it was si
Douglas Bittinger
The series finale was more enjoyable than that last two in the series just because most of the background exposition has already been done - although some was repeated here - and this story centered more on the events and interactions of the passengers of the Rama ship. When things started going sour for the passengers I found myself thinking, "no way, people wouldn't act that way." but upon further reflection, yes they probably would.

I won't spoil the story, but there are some heartbreaking mom
Andrew
The fourth and final book of the Rama series. This book continues to follow the colony that was established in the Raman spacecraft as it heads towards its final destination. In this book, even more new species and adventures are encountered.

This book finally gives the explanation of the Raman spacecraft and the purpose of its missions. I don't really want to give much away, but this is a great ending to one of the greatest science fiction stories ever told.

Once again there are so many message
Tyler
Dramaturgy
Worth it to the end. Awe-inspiring, rich with multifaceted scientific speculation, imbued with all the fine ingredients of great literature.

Give yourself time to end this book. Avoid distractions. The last chapters are best taken in while alone, with a nice cup of tea, and a box of kleenex.

Jake
A central theme in the Rama novels is that human sexuality drives all facets of our lives--our predilection to imperialism, excess, paranoia, and self-destruction being prime examples. The grand morality play that ensues strikes me as valid, but also tiresome and less fun than the original Rendezvous With Rama .

The above being said, I love a great deal about this final installment in the series. Some of the revelatory material is similar to that found in 3001 . It’s thought-provoking but far fr
Holden Attradies
This is by far the best written of the books in this series. The writing in Rama II is not the best, even though I love that book I can admit that. But with every book in the series there after the writing gets smoother, with less of the semi-meaningless distractions into minuet details of historical figures. I really don't know if this is from Gentry Lee improving as a writer or if this is from Arthur C. Clarke doing more of the writing, but either way it's a good thing.

I enjoyed the way that t
Mukta Mohapatra
This is the final book in the Rama series.
We do get a lot of answers, but on a deeper level, this book was about so much more.
We learn a lot about the octospiders and their civilization. They have a lot of beliefs about using biology to improve their lives instead of electronics. Because of this, they don't consider life to be something sacred. Instead, they consider each life to be something that contributes to the common good.

The most fascinating thing about them is that they don't allow free
Tatiana
Outstanding ending to a beautiful quadrilogy that should be one of the epitome works of SF. It's hard not to miss the Rama Universe once the books are finished. The daring task of creating alien life forms that are not humanoid and do not automatically use verbal language as humans do, is in itself, a reason for praising this series.

This book alone tackles the origins of the Universe questions, along with the traditional philosophical queries that follow, such as: Who are we? Why are we here? Wh
Alex
Rama Revealed is the last book in this series and it couldn't have come sooner. Only my loyalty to Arthur C, Clarke carried me this far. It really wasn't worth it but for classic science fiction I suppose I had to do it.

The first novel, "Rendezvous with Rama", is excellent. A space craft comes zooming into the solar system, answering the question "Are we alone?" but adds an additional question, "Does anyone care?" In typical Clarke fashion, the author takes us through what might happen if we on
Andreas
A mysterious giant cylinder is found in space, falling inwards on a trajectory which will take it through the solar system. It is dubbed “Rama”. An expedition is sent to probe it’s contents.

Along with 2001, Rendezvous with Rama is the defining work of Arthur C. Clarke. The book is full of his trademark sense of wonder, and Clarke manages to convey awe at alien things like few others can. The first book is a solo effort. Clarke then teamed up with Gentry Lee to write a sequel trilogy. The whole s
Armineh Nouri
I recommend reading the first installment of the tetralogy as highly as I recommend stopping right there. Though I can't say I regret finishing the series, it was indeed a painful experience to see the wonderful concept introduced by Rendezvous stretch into a flimsy and disengaging tale which drags on far more than its dramatic substance can afford to. For me the main weakness of the second to fourth books was the authors' obsessive engagement with characters as opposed to Rendezvous' somewhat s ...more
Frank
The first book in this series was good. It has a novel idea which has yet to be rivaled. This second installment is a great continuance but starts to drag a bit. The third book drags some more but then Bam! the floodgates of wonder burst open and AC Clarke jumps into the much anticipated glimpse into Rama's creators [to a point:].

The last book is an effluence from the flood gates being opened which you'll not want to miss!

I wish I had noted the page numbers from the second and third books becuas
Brian
As with so many final books in a series, what I appreciated most about this book is that it gave a clear, final ending to the story. The quality of the writing was as good as the other books, but I found the story to drag a bit. I thought that the final development of Nicole as a character was somewhat out of character for the woman we got to know in the previous books. I can explain away some of that development by considering Sir Arthur C. Clarke, at 76 years old, facing his final years and re ...more
Melanie
I LOVED Rendezvous with Rama, so I was excited to read the rest of the Rama books. I don't appreciate such explicit descriptions of sex scenes or such profanity. After wading through books II and III, and after a particularly explicit sex scene in book IV, I decided that the coolness of the sci-fi wasn't worth all the garbage I had to read through.
Niknik
I understand that there are so many varying ratings for this book and series. While the first book, "Rendezvous with Rama" was excellent and one of the best Clarke books I've read, the changes in the following three books written with Gentry Lee are quite different.
I think it's the characters' more dramatic appearances and storylines that first threw me.

However, I can't ignore that even though I found some of the "soap opera" type of storylines seemingly out of place at first, I still was engros
Marco
I'm at a loss on how to review this book. I loved the original Clark's Rama book. I was deeply disappointed (and disgusted) by the two sequels books that followed it. I strongly suspect Clarke had very little to do with the first two sequel books beside putting his name on the cover. I found those two books sexist, and I disliked the attempts to distort Science findings to give them a spiritual interpretation. I continued to read the series because I do not like to not finish something I have st ...more
Abdulaziz Almadi
نهاية لا بأس بها.. الآن استطيع القول بأني اكتفيت من جينتري لي ولا احب تداخله مع ارثر سي كلارك. لكن من الصعب ان تفلت الرواية من القبضة الكلاركية التي تعشق ان تكون رهينة كفأر تجارب للكيانات الاخرى الاكثر تطوراً كما كانت الامور في رائعته "نهاية الطفولة". اكثر شيء اعجبني في هذه السلسلة هو ريتشارد ويكفيلد وتطوره الى ان اصبح شخصاً افضل..شخص لن تمانع ان يكون خير ممثل للجنس البشري لو افترضنا تواجد كيانات اخرى في هذا الكون الشاسع.
Tresuiri
Finally! This is the book that I had wanted to pick up when I finished Rama 2. This book was the closure that I was looking for. I rather enjoyed the discussions between the Eagle and Nicole characters. Pure enjoyment; I had hoped that the authors would have explored this thread in the book more than they did. It seemed such a hard and winding road to get there, it would have been so worth exploring some more lines of inquiry with the Eagle. I also enjoyed the ideas of Primary Nodes, a finite Go ...more
Ian
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers, he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
This is a fantastic series 10 57 Oct 25, 2013 10:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine needed 3 21 Dec 28, 2011 06:28AM
  • Bright Messengers: A New Novel Set in the Rama Universe
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • The Ringworld Throne (Ringworld, #3)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Manifold: Origin
  • Moonwar (Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • Encounter with Tiber
  • The Ascension Factor (Destination: Void, #4)
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...

Rama (4 books)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise

“I will not be afraid because I understand ... And understanding is happiness.” 45 likes