Start by marking “Pig Pig Grows Up” as Want to Read:
Pig Pig Grows Up

Pig Pig Grows Up (Pig Pig)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Pig Pig rejects efforts by his mother to encourage his growing up -- until he acts his age and saves a real baby from injury.
Published October 15th 1992 by Puffin (first published September 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Pig Pig Grows Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pig Pig Grows Up

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Three Pigs by David WiesnerCrispin by Ted DewanEmil and His Clever Pig by Astrid Lindgren
Books About Pigs
27th out of 39 books — 8 voters
Oh, Were They Ever Happy! by Peter SpierFortunately by Remy CharlipMorris Moats Makes a Move by Danny KyzerEpossumondas Saves the Day by Coleen SalleyWhy Epossumondas Has No Hair on His Tail by Coleen Salley
Favorite Quirky Picture Books
7th out of 7 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Sannwald
Well before the likes of "Failure to Launch" comes this story of Pig Pig, a boy who wants to forever remain a baby. A couple thoughts went through my head: Is Pig Pig's mom a single mother? Pig Pig is seen wearing diapers--does his mom still have to change them? Does Pig Pig's mom subconsciously WANT her youngest child to remain a baby forever and therfore enables it?

Okay, maybe I'm overanalyzing the book. :-)

Pig Pig Grows Up might have been written quite some time ago, but I see so many "mommys
Ellen
all time favorite!
Candice
Jul 27, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Pig Pig does not want to grow up. He's outgrowing his crib, his clothes, his stroller, and everything else. On a trip home from the grocery store, Momma collapses as she tries to push the heavy stroller with Pig Pig and the groceries. What happens next calls for a grown-up reaction. Will Pig Pig be forced to grow up? A cute book with amusing illustrations. I look forward to reading more of the Pig Pig books.
Tricia
Susan was right: I did like this one better than Pig Pig Gets a Job (and I think my 6yo liked it better, too). But nevertheless, Pig Pig is nowhere near the pantheon of the David McPhail canon.
Peggy
Kind of old (which I realize is a relative term), kind of weird, and just kind of great. I love this book. I have loved it since the first time I read it to my oldest son. Like I said, it's weird. It's about a pig named Pig Pig who refuses to grow up. And yet it's charming and funny and victorious. At least I think so. I will never get rid of my copy.
Kirsten
A great easy to read, coming of age book for preschoolers and kindergartners. The illustrations are bright and simple, the dialogue equally simple. I read this to my preschool classes and they all loved it.
Rachel
Pig Pig is the baby of the family and does not want to grow up no matter what his mother tries to do. This is a good way for younger children to see that growing up isn't a bad thing to do.
Leah Wener-Fligner
It must have been good because I saw the name "Pig Pig" on a spine while browsing the library's children's section and suddenly wanted desperately to find Pig Pig again. Here he is!
Mrs. DiCesare
It taught us to be brave.---Andrea and Anderson
The pig learned his lesson to grow up---Avelyn
Declan learner: Don't be a baby
The pig was being brave.---Jack
Angela
LOVE this book. And so does my daughter. It's lyrical and fun - best of all, I can re-read often and not tire of it. We enjoy all of McPhail's books.
Sally
Our whole family would read this book and laugh at the pictures of Pig Pig squishing into the stroller and baby seats. Very funny book.
Don Gubler
Where is the path that leads to growing up?
Katie
My boys love this book.
Alexandra Stockdale
Alexandra Stockdale marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more
More about David McPhail...

Pig Pig (9 books)
  • Pig Pig Rides
  • Pig Pig and the Magic Photo Album
  • Baby Pig Pig Walks
  • Baby Pig Pig Talks
Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore! Edward and the Pirates Mole Music Waddles The Teddy Bear