Start by marking “Suddenly a Bride” as Want to Read:
Suddenly a Bride

Suddenly a Bride (Across the Stars #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  923 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Rilo An comes from a world where there are no women, and what he longs for is a life mate, which is the Earth equivalent of a wife. So he leaves his world, takes on the Earth name Chris West, and bonds with Caitlyn Davis.

But she was married before, and memories of her deceased husband still linger around her home. Will he have to become like her first husband to win her l
Published July 10th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly a Bride

Judy
Suddenly a Bride by Ruth Ann Nordin
Across the Stars Book 1
I just love Ruth's books! Her hero's are the sweetest guys and you just fall for them as they try and please the love of their life. In this case our hero is Rilo An from Pandoran, a planet where there were only men left. He goes to Star Systems Unlimited and pays them to choose him a wife from Earth. He wants a woman willing to be his Life Mate and who will want children with him. He knows when he finds her that a special hormone will re
Lyla
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I wanted to enjoy this and told myself, "That creeped out feeling is just because it's odd sci-fi." But...

I tried. Really, really tried, but it just turned out to be dadgum-messed-up. I couldn't get past the overall message. It's a dangerous form of rape culture that tries to pass off drugging the heroine for sex as romance. (view spoiler)
Clarke
This type of story is normally right up my alley. Unfortunately not this one although the story was a good idea and characters entertaining.

Chris/Rilo left his planet to find a wife and to have kids. He pays a company to find a wife for him not giving any preference to the type of women he gets. His assigned women works as a waitress and has no idea she's about to become married via sex. Caitlyn goes from still morning her dead husband to meeting a nice customer to being chemically induced to ha
Kay Bolton
Okay, I have to be a bit careful here, as I don't want anyone to think that I am slagging off the book or the author, which I most definitely am not.

My first Novel by Ruth Nordin was at first dismissed as awful, but then when I literally had nothing else to read I forced myself, and secretly enjoyed it. There is something endearing about the cheesiness of her novels. At first I thought that was an accident, but as I've read a few more I've decided that it can only be by design.

This here book, wa
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I picked this up for a challenge (needed a wedding themed book). I didn't make it that far before I started to see red. Issue number one: "He didn't like the idea that a woman might decide his genetic line didn't suit her." Poor baby, a woman might decide to not have children with you. Boo-hoo! Issue number two: "I know, but I was warned the women on Earth can be emotional. I'm not sure if that's worth it." Now, I realize it was someone else (not Rilo/Chris) that said this, but really?! Issue nu ...more
T00zday
If you're wanting alien/earthling erotica, scratch this off your list.

This is a sweet, fluffy, HEA romance.
The villain in the story is the heroine's overbearing, controlling, judgmental mother. That's as heavy as it gets.
Melody
Some Spoilers. Nilo an comes from a planet where women are extinct. So he goes to a universal wish agency to find a mate from a compatible species. Armed with a new name, Chris West , earth money, proper I.D. and a pamphlet about women (he's never seen one) he arrives outside his chosen mate's diner ready to mate almost immediately. The problem is said mate, Caitlyn Davis, has never heard of aliens, doesn't know he is coming, and isn't even looking for a new husband after her first husband died ...more
Shelley Chastagner
A bit of a sci-fi romance. Rilo (aka Chris) is a nieve alien in search of a wife. Caitlyn is picked by the agency to fill the bill. Unfortunately she comes with a manipulative mother. Poor Chris has to navigate the complexities of American earth culture and the nuances of dealing with an extended family. Packed with lots of funny moments and exasperation. This is another one of my favorites by Ruth Nordin.
Timeforme
Main Characters:
Rilo An - An alien who comes to Earth to get married and have children
Caitlyn Davis - The woman he is matched with to marry

Synopsis:
Rilo An comes from a world where there are no women. What he longs for is a life mate: someone who'll complete him, someone he can love who’ll love him back, someone who’ll ease the aching loneliness that haunts his life. So he leaves his world, takes on the Earth name Chris West, and makes a payment to Star Systems Unlimited for a life mate.

When he
Liza
Reread. Second time around and I still love it! I wanted to make myself familiar with the other characters again since I'll be reading the rest of the series.
I LOVE Chris! He is sooooo cute, so naive and so eandearing. Things he says that makes you go "aawwwww", i.e. "I'll go there because you're there" or "I'll do anything as long as I get to touch you". And yes, he always wants to touch her. And he's working so hard so that she loves him. Getting pictures taken with her was very important to h
Liza
Suspension of disbelief. If you're looking for a reason to hate it, over-analyze any aspect of it and you'll likely succeed. As a light, fluffy read, ignoring political possibilities and repercussions (although I admit that some of the outraged reviews on here sound pretty valid, if you inspect them from that point of view), it was enjoyable. A quick read and a different spin on things. At times cheesy and hard to believe, but I pretty much only require my historical novels to work within the li ...more
Davida Camillo
Decent Read for Young Adults

This was my first book by Ruth Ann Nordin. This book was cute and a quick read. I am going to keep reading her books. Some fun issues are raised that people sometimes have to deal with. There is some sex but nothing too steamy but I still would keep it to 17+.
The main characters are Rilo An AKA Chris West, an alien from a planet with only men and Caitlyn Davis, a widowed waitress on Earth. Rilo/Chris decided he wants a life mate and makes a request for an earth woman
Melissa
This was my first book by Ruth Nordin, and it probably won’t be my last. This book, although a little drawn out, was well developed, well-built and overall is easy book to enjoy. Her heroes are the sweetest guys and you just fall for them, as they try and please the love of their life. In this case our hero is Rilo An from Pandoran, a planet where there were only men left. He goes to Star Systems Unlimited and pays them to choose him a wife from Earth. He wants a woman willing to be his Life Mat ...more
Sophia
This was a story with a gentle plot which made it a refreshing change to tuck in amongst the more weightier dramatic plotted stories that I've been reading lately. Not to say that there is no conflict! There is that, but its resolution happens without an undue amount of angst because the two main characters are unselfish, thoughtful and mature about it when the conflict from without their relationship happens.

Honestly, this one felt more like a contemporary romance with science fiction elements
Tricia
I read romance for a feel good kind of feeling. This book provided that, the hero was sensitive and decent, what more could a girl ask for. Some readers may want some suspense or mystery not me, straight forward romance and to the point is my cup of tea. Come on which woman would not love a guy she can steer into just accepting and loving her for who she, faults and all.
Tonileg
So Chris West lives on a planet where there are only men, all the women died out more then a hundred years ago so there are only two other worlds where there are women that are compatible to his kind.
Caitlyn Davis is at her waitress job with her best friend and just living a normal boring life. Boom! Chris is assigned Caitlyn as a life-mate. This concept is well explained and it sounds like marriage from the Middle-Ages when there was no divorce. Caitlyn and Chris 'mate' and bond for life and st
Melinda
Aw, what a sweet book. I think Caitlyn is amazing. She has a good head on her shoulders. Her understanding of situations without the normal hysterics is refreshing.

I found the conflict between mother and daughter similar to what I went through in real life. I had to laugh at a couple of points cause it match my life almost exactly. However, the man I married didn't take any of my mother's antics and quickly knocked her out of the controlling mode. :-)

Chris is really sweet and Mark is a good frie
Emily
Chris West arrives to Earth with one goal, to find his life mate Caitlyn Davis. Caitlyn has no clue what has happened, within a span of a few hours she has sex with a man she doesn't know, finds out she is bonded/mated/married to said man, and the icing on the cake is he is from another planet.

Chris's hope is to find a mate he can have children with and build a family, Caitlyn is that woman. Their marriage has a few bumps along the way, but once Chris meets Caitlyn's family it has him questionin
Jen
Lynelle Clark
I simply love Ruth Ann Nordin's story. The simplicity in her writing style and the care she take to build each character has never disappointed me. Once again in this story she out did herself with Chris, The alien from another galaxy who was forced to come to earth in search for a female. To bond and start a family with. His innocence in all that evolved women, relationships and marriage was the high light of the story. His willingness to learn and to bridge the gap was sweet.
The mother in law
Elly Helcl
While this book has an other-worldly beginning, it is very much so a book any married person can relate with.

The antagonist of this story is the dreaded mother-in-law...Almost all married couples can relate to that.

The "Hero" is super, super sweet. His name is Chris and all he wants is for Caitlyn to be happy. In fact, when he found out that human males sometimes abuse their women he was shocked. And that is when I fell in love with Chris.

Caitlyn is also an incredibly lovable character who has h
Lost
Not the worlds greatest romance book but an okay one. I wanted to love this book but I just couldn't. So I settled for liking it. It kinda moved at warped speed in spots and fizzled in others. But its still worth reading once.
Brittany
Suddenly a bride was such a cute, fun story. Chris was so clueless and adorable. I loved that the book just makes you smile at some of the dorky things Chris does. I may not want to read books like this all the time but this was a pleasant surprise.
Connie Taylor
This is the first in Across the Stars series. It is a light, easy read, a book you can curl up with and have a relaxing afternoon. Am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Lisa Swanepoel
I really enjoy Ms Nordins writing. Her stories are not complex but they are well written and draw you into the characters lives. She is a gifted light hearted romance writer.
Donna
Rilo An comes from a world where there are no women. What he longs for is a life mate: someone who'll complete him, someone he can love who'll love him back, someone who'll ease the aching loneliness that haunts his life.

So he leaves his world, takes on the Earth name Chris West, and makes a payment to Star Systems Unlimited for a life mate. When he bonds with Caitlyn Davis, he thinks life can't get any better. But she was married before, and memories of her deceased husband still linger around
Allie Ritch
I can sum this book up in a single word: fun! This author has a great voice, the characters were interesting and believable, and the love scenes were spicy. The author did such a good job of making the heroine's mother despicable that I wanted to yell at the wretched woman myself. I had a blast reading this one and would definitely recommend it to SFR fans. The premise is reminiscent of the movie Starman with Jeff Bridges, except the story line for Suddenly a Bride is, in my opinion, way better. ...more
Julianne Johnson
Interesting

it was quite a change but did keep me reading right up to the end. I will be buying the second book
pianogirl05
I liked the lightness of this book compared to the heavy drama of other books that I read. Yes, there was conflict, but Chris and his inability to grasp things on Earth kept things almost comical at times. The poor guy should have hit the internet in his spare time. What kept me from giving this 5 stars was I would have liked to see more interaction between the Chris and Caitlyn in order for the love and bond to come across better. He talked more with others in the book than his wife. I also wis ...more
  • Heart of Stone
  • Taken  by the Storm (Ontarian Chronicles, # 1)
  • The Awakening (Cyberevolution, #1)
  • Embracing Silence (Project Alpha, #1)
  • Rebel Heart
  • Seducer (Sensual Captivity, #1)
  • Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)
  • Lionheart (StarQuest, #1)
  • When Sparks Fly (Spark, #1)
  • Captive Salvation (Beast Planet #2)
  • Warlord's Bounty (Barbarian Claims, #1)
  • Her Empath (Zodiac Cyborgs #0.5)
  • Love's Captive (Volarn, #1)
  • Daughters of Terra (The Ta'e'sha Chronicles, #1)
  • Katieran Prime (Katieran Prime, #1)
  • Riot (Phantom Warriors #6)
  • Chocolate Kisses
  • Zylan Captive (Zylar's Moons, #1)
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)
More about Ruth Ann Nordin...
The Earl's Inconvenient Wife (Marriage By Scandal, #1) A Bride for Tom (Nebraska Historicals, #2) A Husband for Margaret (Nebraska Historicals, #3) Eye of the Beholder (Nebraska Historicals, #4) A Chance In Time (Native American Romance prequel)