Start by marking “The Philosophical Practitioner” as Want to Read:
The Philosophical Practitioner

The Philosophical Practitioner

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Eric is a philosophical practitioner, a new profession that emphasizes reason without slighting emotions. He has little money, a cat, confused clients, and an old girlfriend, now rich and famous, who wants to get back together with him. Meanwhile, a woman he's never seen before is trying to kill him.
Published June 1st 2011 by Telemachus Press, LLC (first published April 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Philosophical Practitioner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philosophical Practitioner

Robert Bidinotto
Nov 03, 2011 Robert Bidinotto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
In an age of formula fiction, a novel with a fresh premise is an unexpected delight. The Philosophical Practitioner is such an original, witty, thought-provoking, and polished bit of writing that it's hard to believe it is Larry Abrams's debut novel.

Eric, the first-person protagonist of this clever tale, is a "philosophical practitioner." That's something like a psychotherapist or "life coach." But instead of focusing on emotions and childhood traumas, Eric emphasizes the key role that reason, a
TAMMY CUEVAS
Apr 20, 2012 TAMMY CUEVAS rated it it was amazing
TITLE: The Philosophical Practioner

AUTHOR: Larry Abrams

PUBLISHER: Telemachus Press, LLC

ISBN: 9781935670940

CATEGORY: Fiction, Adult Contemporary

In Larry Abrams' debut novel, Eric is a philosophical practitioner, a career that no one seems to understand, but he attracts clients anyway. Some are there out of curiosity, and some are there out of confusion, but they all need help. As a philosophical practitioner, Eric does not psychoanalyze his clients, but helps them resolve their problems through
Vox
Apr 06, 2012 Vox rated it liked it
I've got to tell you, I read The Philosophical Practitioner, by Larry Abrams - enjoyed it, even - but I still can't tell you what a philosophical practitioner is or does.

But I can tell you about this novel.

Eric is a "philosophical practitioner" in New York City. He does not have patients; he has clients. He is not a psychiatrist or a psychologist; he is a philosophical therapist. He tries to help you figure out, philosophically, where you are in life and where you want to be.

And someone wants to
mandyfujita
May 29, 2012 mandyfujita rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. The jacket summary sounded good so I entered the contest and was lucky enough to win. I thought the beginning of the book was kind of slow. When Eric started getting clients, the story started to get interesting and entertaining. Eric is a philosophical practitioner. He listens to clients' problems and helps them through philosophical thinking rather than drugs or treatment.

Thinking about the outcome of the book, it seems like Mr Ab
Angela
Apr 03, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgally
I received a copy of this book from netgally to review. Lucky for me, I was drawn to the cover and title. I didn't even read the synopsis.

Such a quick read! It was cute, funny, quick, deep, and engaging. With the first sentence, I got the image of an old detective movie stuck in my head. It carried me throughout the book especially since his "girl" is a famous actress. I enjoyed taking time to think on some of the philosophical questions brought up in the book.

The only disappointment I had wit
Jackie
May 08, 2012 Jackie rated it it was ok
This book has an interesting story, and definitely made me giggle at times, but I found the writing uncompelling. The narrator is a philosphical practitioner, which is kinda like a really abstract psychologist, I suppose. Much of the pages are passed in sessions with the narrator's patients, which can be mundane. I personally had two specific problems: 1) I had trouble keeping the narrator's clients separate in my head (he has up to maybe 10 at once?) and 2) the dialogue was often blocks of quot ...more
Amy
Apr 08, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves:
This is not an action-packed thriller or a hard-boiled detective story, although it does come across a bit like a Sam Spade novel with its bold dialogue and dames in heels and short skirts, one of whom is bent on murder.

Its premise is unique: Eric, the main character is a "philosophical practitioner," that is, he's a lot like a psychologist, but instead of emphasizing feelings, he focuses on theory with his clients.

This novel stands in a category of its own. Kudos to the author for originality!
rameau
I liked the start.

The snappy, dialogue heavy text caught me and pulled me in. I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting myself into, but I soon realised it was something different. I was reading about this man who had made a new profession for himself and how he still had a connection to an old would-be lover, when I realised I had to check my emails. I put the book down, and the magic was broken.

I never really got back into it after that.

I’m not quite sure what this book is about but my guess wo
Kassandra
The Philosophical Practitioner by Larry AbramsLarry Abrams

I was swept away by The Philosophical Practitioner. The story offered the right amount of romance and mystery. Right from the start of the story a women walks into Eric's office and says she came in because she saw his sign. The unknown women continues to say that she was curious to discover what a philosophical practitioner's job is. Eric tells her that he is different from a psychologist, for the reason that psychologists value feelings over theory. As a philosophical practitioner
Tahlia Newland
Aug 05, 2012 Tahlia Newland rated it liked it

I don’t read a lot of contemporary fiction, but I’m a sucker for philosophy so the title of this book grabbed my attention. A philosophical practitioner is a kind of counsellor who emphasizes reason but doesn't slight emotions. I don’t know if there really is such a profession, but Eric is one. He doesn’t have patients, he has clients, and the idea seems to be that he helps people sort out how they view the world. They come to him for advice on how to live their lives.

The book is more of a chara
Julie
Sep 09, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I received this novel from NetGalley.

This novel, although intellectually intriguing and philosophically deep, was a novel about nothing. The climax comes at the beginning of the novel, with the threat against the main characters life and then it lulls into a soft, safe tale about people's lives and how the protagonist lives his life, helping people through philosophy. The ending is very unsatisfying, ending on an anti-climax, the threat is followed through yet also without action or much descrip
Nadyne
First sentence: "I had my feet up on my desk and my hands clasped behind my neck, trying once again to puzzle out why science progressed so much faster than everything else, when she walked into my office unannounced."

P. 99: "He thought his way out, his ticket to tranquillity, lay in denying his self."

Last sentence: "Is that you, or do I have to keep looking?"

From Smashwords: Eric is a philosophical practitioner, a new profession that emphasizes reason without slighting emotions. He has little m
Rhonda
Dec 02, 2012 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS
This is a book that in ways I can't discribes. I can't discribes what Philosophical Practitioner is. This book makes you think and wonder at what my philosophy in my life is.
Eric is a philosophical practitioner and he tells about different clients that come to him and what they talk about. One lady comes in and tells him she is thinking of killing him.
Eric tries to figure out who she is and why she wants to kill him. Also what is going on in his life. His girl friend is a actress that is
Ellie
Mar 14, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
Well written, but I did think the end was a bit rushed, I just felt I wanted more out of it.
The story is a new take on things, I enjoyed the philosophical practitioner for what it is, a new take. Eric only has a few clients, as no one knows quite what a philosophical practitioner is, and gets by with his cat on next to nothing. Although he isn't a high flier, his lady friend from hollywood brings all the glamour needed. The story is all about the mysterious woman who turns up one day at his offi
Kathy Brady
Mar 22, 2012 Kathy Brady rated it it was amazing
The Philosophical Practitioner is at the same time, a fast paced psychological thriller and a thought-provoking discussion about the philosophical meaning of life. The two are blended together so well that this novel does an amazing job of keeping you hooked and making you think.
I read the majority of this book in one sitting because I just could not put it down, it was that good. It makes you think and it entertains in such well-written way. I don't think I have been so wonderfully surprised by
Becky
Jul 04, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok
This book was just okay. I had so many moments of not caring about the sessions with Eric's clients that it really took away from the mystery. That was the part that was intriguing. I wanted to know about the mysterious gun lady and what her motives were. I just had to wade through excess words to get to the answers.
GONZA
Aug 29, 2012 GONZA rated it liked it
I liked this book, even if sometimes I'd have preferred the people on it to do something different, but ok, it was not my book. Anyway the plot is a mystery but my favorite part, as a psychologist of course, were the one with his clients; in Italy we have the Philosophical Practitioner so his job didn't come to me much as a surprise, anyway it's never very clear what this type of practitioner is supposed to do. Maybe, if he had showed more empathy toward a certain person he would have been shot, ...more
Philip Stearns
This was a fun book. I thought that the idea of seeing a philosopher the way one would see a psychologist was very clever.
R.Z.
Apr 16, 2012 R.Z. rated it really liked it
Interesting. A bit weird. Reminded me of the wonderful book "Ishmael," and the author must have been thinking the same thing because he mentions "Ishmael" later in the story. This will appeal to readers who think with abstract logic. If you are looking for fast-moving action, this book is not for you. I thought at first that I might become impatient with the story, but I stuck with it, and ultimately really liked the book. Good job Larry Abrams. I'll keep an eye out for your next book.

Carl Holmes
Apr 14, 2012 Carl Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the start it is clear that Larry Abrams likes to play with words. From the opening sentence, to the closing paragraph. He sets the scene like an old Bogart detective movie and goes from there. Along the way he explores what makes humans tick, the need for novelty in life and the need for humans to relate to one another.

This book is narrative, philosophy, and a little theology thrown in and woven into a good story that is fun, while not overly difficult.
Teleia
Jun 28, 2012 Teleia rated it really liked it
Just a couple of things... if it's nighttime in Manhattan, the sun won't be shining from New Jersey. Also, "stationary" means not moving, while "stationery" is paper.

Other than that, I liked this book. It's about a philosophical practitioner (much like a psychologist, but asking more philosophical questions rather than emphasizing feelings and experiences) who is threatened by one of his clients.

Novel idea and never boring.
Rachel
May 29, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
3.5

Interesting and engaging, but not amazing. Bordered on pretentious at times, but managed to save it with real moments of heart. A left of centre read for anyone who likes things just a wee bit different.
Katie Watson
Jan 27, 2013 Katie Watson rated it liked it
This book was a strange combination of hardboiled detective novel, romance, and a search for the meaning of life. The ending was a bit strange.
Bob Collins
Feb 04, 2012 Bob Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard-boiled detective-style novel, with Robert B Parker sparsity and wit and plenty of everyday, practical philosophy - what's not to like?
Maryjo
Mar 01, 2013 Maryjo rated it did not like it
for a completely original story it was very contrived and predictable.
Jill
Feb 25, 2012 Jill rated it it was ok
A great premise, but it just didn't deliver. Very boring dialogue.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Betty S
Betty S rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Michelle Johnston
Michelle Johnston marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gentleman's Agreement
  • Charming
  • A Thin, Dark Line
  • Beyond the Misty Shore (Seascape Trilogy, #1)
  • Lives of the Novelists: A History of Fiction in 294 Lives
  • Brush of Angel's Wings (Heaven On Earth #2)
  • The Whipping Club
  • An Uncommon Grace
  • Painted Blind
  • A Bat in the Belfry (Home Repair Is Homicide, #16)
  • Taking a Stand
  • Caravan of Thieves (Rollie Waters, #1)
  • ON THE FRONT LINE: The Collected Journalism of Marie Colvin
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • The Invisibles: The Untold Story of African American Slaves in the White House
  • Our Man in the Dark
  • I am not a Buddhist
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)