Start by marking “Complete Novels of Charlotte and Emily Bronte” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Complete Novels of Cha...

Charlotte Brontë

Complete Novels of Charlotte and Emily Bronte

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  2,848 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
JANE EYRE
SHIRLEY
VILETTE
THE PROFESSOR
WUTHERING HEIGHTS

Charlotte Brontë's four novels - the archetypal romance Jane Eyre, the turbulent 'Condition of England' novel Shirley and the revealingly autobiographical The Professor and Vilette - have long been established as classics of English fiction, as has Emily Brontë's astonishing masterpiece of romantic fiction, Wuthering Hei
Published March 9th 1983 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Novels of Charlotte and Emily Bronte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Novels of Charlotte and Emily Bronte

La Mala ✌
NOTA: Este tesoro precioso (precioso!!) me regaló my brother... para que olvide este episodio de nuestras vidas, supongo XD
Tanya
I stuck to Wuthering Heights this time. I was due for a re-read of it, and I recalled absolutely loving it as a teen, reading it over and over. Such deep tragedy - and perhaps now that I've experienced so much of my own at this point, I found that it was more disturbing this time around than romantic, more sad than melancholy, more tragic than anything else. I think when I was younger, death was more of a concept than a reality, so the idea of the eternal after-death love of Catherine and Heathc ...more
Jen (Feffer)
Dec 09, 2008 Jen (Feffer) marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
You know, I've read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, both of which are in this book, but none of the rest of Charlotte's works. One of these days I need to get around to that.
Tuomo
Mar 06, 2014 Tuomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
revkiew
Aimee
Oct 02, 2008 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/2 I am giving myself a break from this series becuase I just can't seem to get into Shirley - I know little about the industrial revolution in turn of the century England and this book is thick with references to the political goings on during this era. Maybe I can study the history first and then I'll understand what the heck Bronte is writing about.

9/21 - Second book in the Series: Wuthering Heights - 4 stars. Sigh, how to begin a review of one of the most read books by Bronte. This book is
Laura Ansley
Sep 01, 2008 Laura Ansley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I own this book - this edition, actually, and I have to say it's a wonderful thing to have on my shelf. It's lovely, and big!!

Jane Eyre is one of my all-time-favorite books. I could pick it up and start reading anywhere.

Villette was incredibly sad, but I really, really liked it. The story drew me in and I had to know how it would end.

Wuthering Heights is just a strange, strange novel about pathetic, selfish, people. It's tragic how they ruined their lives because they were so self-absorbed. I
Felicia Latoya Brown
I've read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights and will be moving on to Shirley. It's been interesting to see the difference between the sisters' writing. Though both have written the "hero" as a very dark, mysterious, and somewhat cruel man, they have both also included the reasoning behind the actions of these men...what pushed them to this extreme. Anyway, this was definitely one of the good gifts I received from my sister. She decided to get me a book one year after seeing a bag I owned that said ...more
Christy
Feb 26, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because my daughter had to read Jane Eyre for school, and I decided I would read it along with her. I ended up purchasing this collection of all the works by Charlotte and Emily Bronte. My daughter found Jane Eyre very hard to read and hated the book when it was over. I enjoyed Jane Eyre and then went on to read Wuthering Heights. I did not enjoy Wuthering Heights as much. It just seems such a dark story.

I'm currently reading Shirley, and so far have not been able to get into
Karen
Sep 22, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heidee
Recommended to Karen by: high school reading assignment
Shelves: pre-1974
All the Bronte books have always fascinated me. There is a new BBC version of the movie on PBS right now that puts Heathcliff in a whole new light. Maybe the way we've always pictured Heathcliff isn't who Emily really created.

Merged review:

A book shouldn't be judged by the pretty picture on the cover, right? Jane was always the perfect heroine to read about when I wanted to be a little spooked.
Jay Wright
Aug 17, 2016 Jay Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Jane Austin, I despised 19th century England. They appeared motivated by greed and wealth. While you get this sub-current with the Bronte sisters, you get a real feel for England. The picture of the industrial revolution but with stories of classes of people not stuck in the r7uling class. The development of their characters is the true accomplishment Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are of course good, but I was also pleased with the lesser known works.
Lisa
Aug 28, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a teenager and loved it. I think my mom gave it to me as she'd had it when she was young. The only downside I would say, is that about two thirds of the way through the story does seem to get a bit lost and slightly boring but it soon picks up and keeps you turning pages till the end!
S. Sigerson
Jan 09, 2014 S. Sigerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why are certain books readable over and over again? Why do we seem to see more in them each time? Learn things each time we didn't realize were there?

The Brontes are in this class. It's a depth of insight, observation, feeling, ... about life, about people, the self, the world, the universe ... which, in a lifetime of reading, I've been fortunate to find in just a few authors.
Anna
Oct 23, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I've read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I love Jane Eyre She is one of my favorite characters in all of literature. This is one of my would-read-again books. Wuthering Heights was a little disturbing and not at all what I expected from vague references on TV, etc. I didn't like it very much although the writing was of course excellent. Too dark for my taste.
Nick Black
Nov 14, 2008 Nick Black marked it as own-might-read  ·  review of another edition
Yet another excellent value from this line purchased back in halcyon youth working in the Media Play book department. I've only read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre from this, so I'm not really in a position to rate it.

Where's lonely Acton Bell in all of this, I ask?
Kimberlee
I struggled with reading this story. It just seemed so dark and I didn't like how every relationship was a bad match. I kept hoping that something good would happen but it never really did happen. Don't know that I would read it again.
Jen
Apr 23, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I stopped reading this to read another book for Book Club and couldn't get back into it. I didn't finish - I couldn't!
Frances Bell
Jan 08, 2011 Frances Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love delving into the writing of a bygone time. Jane Eyre has been a favourite since I was about 9 years old - I keep this on my shelves and re-read it from time to time
Jenny
May 10, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite gothic novel. I'm not sure why by the darkness of the story and the angst of the characters interest me.
Vinod
Jun 25, 2012 Vinod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
got this book from an old book shop in a village for a pittance. an amazing feeling to have this gilded copy.
Jewell
Oct 14, 2008 Jewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Annie, Betsy, Sharon, Rosie
I have only read WUTHERING HEIGHTS and JANE EYRE. I hope to read the others in the next few weeks. Have any of you read SHIRLEY or VILLETTE or THE PROFESSOR?
Kathy Stone
Jun 21, 2013 Kathy Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-the-library
I really enjoyed reading these novels. I had only read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights prior to checking this volume out at my local library.
Linda Horn
Nov 10, 2012 Linda Horn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of these. Great books. I first picked up Jane Eyre in 6th grade. I read it three times that year.
Sara
Sep 17, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I've read several stories out of these books, and they are great. Jane Eyre was the greatest story that came out of these authors though!
Cherish
Oct 13, 2010 Cherish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished and it was absolutely awesome. I loved Jane Eyre and I felt that Wuthering Height had a most satisfying ending!
Angie Pratt
Angie Pratt rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2010
Ada Cruz
Ada Cruz rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Veritym
Veritym rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Diane Houser
Diane Houser rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
K. Crow
K. Crow rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Its a real place 10 186 Aug 05, 2011 11:54AM
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Gentle Grafter
  • Claudine Married
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • The Wide Net and Other Stories
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...