Start by marking “Obstacles to Young Love” as Want to Read:
Obstacles to Young Love

David Nobbs

Obstacles to Young Love

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
From one of the greatest comedic writers of a generation comes a story of love, faith and taxidermy.‘Three mighty obstacles threaten the burgeoning love of childhood sweethearts Timothy Pickering and Naomi Walls. They are Steven Venables, a dead curlew and God.’1978: Two lovers perch precariously on the cusp of adulthood. Timothy’s life ambition is to take on his father’s ...more
Published July 9th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Obstacles to Young Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obstacles to Young Love

John Welch
Feb 28, 2014 John Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this for the style, rather than the content. The story line was predictable, a comedy of errors of the relationship between the young lovers that took 25 years to finally work itself out. I thought it was rather odd that he chose to have their seperate lives mirror each other so much (2 failed marriages each etc.), when it was their differences that prevented them staying together in their youth. Having said all that, it was well written with occassional quirky humour, and a very readabl ...more
Sid Nuncius
Oct 07, 2015 Sid Nuncius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really excellent book. It is exceptionally well written, witty, humane, perceptive and extremely touching. The plot is simply a chronicle of how the lives of two people and those associated with them develop as they grow older. There is marriage, birth, death, divorce, friendship and some tragedy, but no car chases, grisly murders or anything of the kind, and yet I found it utterly gripping. It kept me engrossed in the lives of people whom I really cared about in a way that few other b ...more
Tilly
Jun 16, 2010 Tilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loved the writing style. Want to adopt it :)
The story itself was extremely predictable, like a bad romantic movie... It's not even moving because it's so obvious! So much so that I read a line from every page of the last chapter just to confirm my thoughts (you must know the feeling? the near end of the book, the random bits of 'closure' the author feels the need to give but you can't be bothered to read?)

However, I loved the writing style so much it gets a four.
Reading it was a bit like lying
Bethj
Sep 06, 2012 Bethj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Predictable to an extent, but I read it for that reason. I liked the characters, there was not one which I thought spoiled it for me. I liked all the ends being tied and there seemed to be no 'waste of time' characters. Everyone served a purpose within the story. Definitely passing this book along to be enjoyed by others. :)
Hannah
Oct 23, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
The usual David Nobbs quirky humour to be found in here. But really it was odd moments not carried the whole way. I think he knew he was doing an over-used and highly predictable story line and trying to do something different. Unfortunately the odd moments of charm where few and far between and large sections felt like wading through treacle!
Devil
Oct 08, 2012 Devil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Timothy and Naomi, separated by many life circumstances, united by love. The writing is very witty and funny, but I believe the book would have benefited from being a little smaller, as it tends to drag on a bit and lose some of its crispness in the middle of so many stories.
Chalky
May 19, 2012 Chalky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Big fan of these author but unlike most his books that have a sad but true undercurrent to his humour here the humour is more than balanced by an abundance of pathos.

Despite some of the cliches and obvious subplots this is an excellent and very moving book.
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
This is an honest, moving love story, not much to go and really enjoyed it. Now finished it, really nice read, bittersweet, funny, sad, and happy, good characters and touching moments.
Teresa
" spent most of the book being like OH! GET ON WITH IT! Because really? "
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.com/2...
Luigi
Jul 19, 2011 Luigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read, comic but at the same time full of sensitivity as it charts the course of human relationships. David Nobbs at his best.
John
Dec 02, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
.Not bad of its type but all rather predictable. Some neat humour and interesting observations on life but characterisation a little bland
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Paul Reeves
Paul Reeves rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Tasma
Tasma rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Jess Fish
Jess Fish rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Liam
Liam rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Lies
Lies marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Midgetbee
Midgetbee marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Stuart Woollard
Stuart Woollard rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
Helen To
Helen To marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Tm
Tm marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
GoodBooks
GoodBooks marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Janice Miller
Janice Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
David Ruffle
David Ruffle rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Lulla
Lulla rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Phil
Phil added it
Nov 02, 2015
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015