Start by marking “Smart Marathon Training: Run Your Best Without Running Yourself Ragged” as Want to Read:
Smart Marathon Training: Run Your Best Without Running Yourself Ragged

Smart Marathon Training: Run Your Best Without Running Yourself Ragged

Old-school marathon training plans ask runners to crank out 70 to 100 miles a week. It's no wonder those who make it to the start line are running ragged. Smart Marathon Training maps out a healthier, more economical approach to training that emphasizes quality over quantity. This innovative program eliminates junk miles, paring down training to three essential runs per we ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Velo Press

To ask other readers questions about Smart Marathon Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Marathon Training

Dani (The Pluviophile Reader)
Full review at the Pluviophile Reader: http://wp.me/p3VFNP-4G

4/5 stars.
Paperback, 224 pages.
Read from May 15 to 29, 2014.

I've been running now for about 3 years and I've read, browsed and skimmed a variety of articles, magazines and books on different running techniques and training programs. What I found with so many of them is the excessive amount of exercise that are contained within the recommend training schedules, even ones for the absolutely beginners. I always felt that a 6-day-week trai
Angela
Aug 16, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: intermediate to advanced runners, triathletes
CORRECTION TO TYPO IN THE TRAINING PLANS: Please note the following correction to Speed Workout #14 on pages 177, 179, and 181. I emailed the author Jeff Horowitz and he responded promptly and kindly that I had indeed discovered a typo. The speed workout as originally written would be 18.25 miles, which would be excessive for any speed workout, much less one in taper. It is supposed to be about 10 miles total. For speed workout #14, do 1-mile warm-up, the intervals below, and 1-mile cool-down:

Kim
May 06, 2014 Kim added it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I really enjoyed this book. Lots of great info which lays out both the "how"s and the "why"s of training foundation. I'm glad to have a clearly laid out training schedule which places a solid emphasis on crosstraining. My only complaint on the book is that I wish it also included metric conversions in the charts.
Denver
Dec 21, 2011 Denver rated it liked it
This is a great book with lots of valuable information. In particular the schedule is clear. One failing is that while it may say to do a hill workout on a givenn day, the hill workouts are not explained in very good detail.
Jon
Feb 10, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Good approach to distance-race preparation. Lots of time training, just not as much time running. Not a novice's resource. And not a ton of help if you'd rather cross train in the pool instead of on the bike.

Still and all, I'll probably use his program to train for my next half or full.

El
Dec 15, 2011 El rated it really liked it
A decent book on running. Premise is you can avoid injuries by less running, more cross-training, specifically cycling. However, I do not like to bike, so I am not going to follow his recommendations. It is why I run - I dislike biking. So if you dislike biking, don't buy this book. Just rest more.
Annabelle Winters
Annabelle Winters rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Jessica Manuel
Jessica Manuel rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Kayleen Burke
Kayleen Burke rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Plishk
Plishk rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Le Duong
Le Duong rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Dustin Brock
Dustin Brock rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Nicole Goethals
Nicole Goethals rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2015
Mattie
Mattie rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Em Frappier
Em Frappier rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Daniel Kang
Daniel Kang rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Carlos Lourenço da silva
Carlos Lourenço da silva rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Will Grant
Will Grant rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Matt Middleton
Matt Middleton rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Jamie-Leah
Jamie-Leah rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Audiaa
Audiaa rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Sam O'Reilly
Sam O'Reilly rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Jenny
Dec 09, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Smart and dead on!
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014