Start by marking “City of Sins. Daniel Blake” as Want to Read:
City of Sins. Daniel Blake

City of Sins. Daniel Blake (Franco Patrese #2)

Paperback
Published October 1st 2011 by Harper (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about City of Sins. Daniel Blake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Sins. Daniel Blake

Barbara
May 23, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CITY of the DEAD
Daniel Blake

Set in New Orleans in the few months leading up to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, City of the Dead is a conspiracy theorist’s dream. Unfortunately, although he changed the names to protect the guilty, most of it is factual – and all the more sickening because of it.
City of the Dead begins with a murder of a young woman, with a strange twist. Perhaps the murder is a voo-doo sacrifice; perhaps it is fundamental Christians seeking to punish, or perhaps it is her c
Raven
Jun 15, 2012 Raven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Frank Patrese is back in this cracking follow-up to ‘Soul Murder’ which sees him uprooted from his beloved Pittsburgh to join a FBI unit in sultry New Orleans. I can honestly say that this is one of the most multi-faceted serial killer thrillers I have read including (takes a deep breath)….the Asian tsunami, body dismorphia, voodoo, ethnic cleansing, Mayan legends, Hurricane Katrina…oh…and a goodly amount of gory murders. I must admit that I felt the flimsy tsunami opener surplus to re ...more
Roslyn
May 29, 2012 Roslyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
City of the Dead
by Daniel Blake

City of the Dead is a mystery thriller with numerous mysteries and thrilling action.

Blake’s writing style creates a page turning pace. It’s hard to put down a book that has unanticipated revelations as you get comfortable with the story. He changes tempo with unexpected action and/or characters that surprise. People are not what they seem to be.
City of the Dead has an intriguing plot that captures the reader’s imagination.

Daniel Blake has transported his detective
Linda Griffin
Feb 23, 2015 Linda Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. Love Daniel Blake's writing. This was a story about a Pittsburgh detective who was in New Orleans helping with a series of murders. It deals with voodoo and corruption in the local government and police department. Like his previous book you have no idea until the end who the killer is. An especially good part was when he went cave diving. I would recommend this book. His first book "Thou Shalt Kill" is even better.
William Bentrim
Aug 22, 2012 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
City of The Dead by Daniel Blake

This is another complex mystery by Blake set in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina as a back drop

Franco Patrese is back and in New Orleans. We met Franco in Blake’s book Thou Shalt Kill. Franco left Pittsburgh after the horrendous events in that book and joined the FBI.

Black uses the color and characters of New Orleans as the perfect backdrop for a series of horrific killings. Franco finds himself far more involved than just an investigator.

The story has voodoo
Lana
Aug 13, 2014 Lana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok for a summer beach read. It was hard to really care about the characters in any sense and I found that I was really wanting the story to wrap up a little over the half way point.
Kerry Smith
A Tsunami, cave diving,a series of grisly murders, and Hurricane Katrina all made this book interesting, if more than a little implausible.
David V.
Jun 04, 2012 David V. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received as an ARC via my employer, a bookstore. Let's see.....there's a police detective from Pittsburgh who gets a job with the FBI in New Orleans; there are several gruesome murders; there's a voodoo priestess; there's a group of men with amputation fetishes; there's a mega-millionaire industrialist and his son, AND to top it off, there's Hurricane Katrina!!!!!!
Well-written and fits my criterion for a good thriller---I was reading faster toward the end.
William
Dec 05, 2012 William rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very good! The "hero" wrestles alligators, escapes from being trapped in an underground water cave, and rescues Katrina victims in a few pages. Reminds me of the 1950s Superman comic books, I read as a child. The author goes off on side tangents on abortion and other topics that are almost unrelated filler to the main story. Sometimes, that is fine since the story is so implausible. Why did I bother reading it to the silly end? It was raining hard outside.
Jennie
Aug 24, 2012 Jennie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
second mystery in a row which attempted to do to much and lost sight of a good story in the process. would have been worth reading with either plot, but mashing a religous cult serial killer with a white collar 1% conspiracy to commit genocide and reap the economic benefits post-hurricane katrina is asking a bit much from the reader. ugh. time to switch genres for awhile. enough bad mysteries for one week.
Kaisa
Aug 07, 2014 Kaisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it as traveling guide to New Orleans and it was brilliant for that.
Andy Plonka
Set in New Orleans just prior to Hurricane Katrina, a mystery which has at its center the corruption of politics which is said, according to this story to be heart of Louisana society. The color barrier still exists in this city where the black population inhabits all the land that becomes nonland when a hurricane hits. How close the author comes to reality is up to the reader to decide.
Karen
Jun 19, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
Murders in New Orleans. Voodoo. Dirty Politics. Hurricane Katrina. What more could you want in a really quick book. read it in a day and a half. Like a Stephen King novel but set in a real city in the wake of a real Hurricane. Not rocket science but a decent break from the really, really heavy stuff.
Jenny
Aug 27, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Such a good read. Fast pace book with lots of twists. I read this before going on vacation to NOLA and I think that is what made it that much more addicting; I couldn't put it down. After going back and reading this author's previous book, I'm now a big fan and can't wait for his next.
Pat
Jan 30, 2012 Pat rated it liked it
Well crafted and plotted. I liked the way the author wove in the real event of hurricane Katrina. Pretty compelling reading but, even though it's supposed to be fiction some of the story was a bit too fanciful to be plausible.
Lisa Eirene
I really enjoyed the book and the characters. I felt like the story was a bit convoluted and there wasn't the connection or continuity I would have liked. The ending just didn't work for me.
Vicki
Jun 04, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A bit preachy at times and fodder for the conspiracy theorists, otherwise, a good story. I didn't see the ending coming until the wind started blowing.
Jennie
Sep 20, 2012 Jennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forrest Gumpish: When you really can't believe a character is a witness to all those big events in history. The tsunami AND Katrina? Hmph.
Pamela
Aug 14, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From tsunami to hurricane Katrina, this story includes disasters, murders, voodoo and corruption. Quite good.
Gregory
uh...hmmm...tried to do too much. Basic plot was good but just couldn't completely deliver for me.
Justin
Aug 13, 2013 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So much promise, but the last 75 pages are absurd and the final dozen are just laughable.
Tomi
May 15, 2014 Tomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery with an unusual -and weird- twist! Truly didn't see that coming!
Debra Davis
Nov 09, 2012 Debra Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-read
Good story. Creepy but with several unexpected twists.
Salvatore
very good but not great.
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Jerralyn
Jerralyn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Aug 28, 2016
Sarah Williams
Sarah Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Chez Bing
Chez Bing rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2016
Simon Smith
Simon Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
  • They Disappeared
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • 88 Killer
  • O is for Outlaw & P is for Peril
  • The Insider
  • The Blood of Crows (Anderson & Costello, #4)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • The Villa of Death
  • A Quiet Vendetta
  • Do Me No Harm
  • In The Blood (Carson Ryder, #5)
  • Mistress of the Storm
  • NYPD Puzzle (Puzzle Lady, #15)
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • No Man's Land
  • Too Wicked to Love (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #2)

Franco Patrese (3 books)