Start by marking “Come Back to Me” as Want to Read:
Come Back to Me

Come Back to Me

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  1,231 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Tess Johnson has it all: her handsome photographer husband Beau, a thriving business, and a newly discovered pregnancy. When Beau accepts an overseas photography assignment, Tess decides to wait to reveal her secret—only she’s never given the chance. Beau’s helicopter crashes in the desert.

Tess struggles with the news of Beau’s death and tries to put her life back together
Published (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Come Back to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Back to Me

Jessica Lavander-Biggs
I am really disappointed to give this book 3 stars, and its really only for the last half if the book. The first 50% is an engrossing story of a young wife grieving when her husband goes missing in Iraq. Everyone in her life is telling her to move on, that he passed away, but she doesn't believe it because his body was never found. At the same time we read about her husband trying to survive a helicopter crash, while being cared for by 2 Iraqi women secretly leaving the country.
I really loved th
Stacy Eaton
Oct 14, 2011 Stacy Eaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no greater fear than the thought of losing a loved one, but what about the fear of starting over again when you believe that loved one might not really be dead?

In another amazing tale written by author Melissa Foster, she sucks us in and grabs us by the heartstrings as this tale of love, grief, pain, betrayal and life move from page to page. Her ability to twist all of these emotions around and compel you to feel the intensity of the what her characters are living through is an amazing
Avril de Guzman
I normally don't write a detailed review, but this time I feel I need to. This book was very promising and started with a very compelling story that immediately drew me in. However, I think the author lost direction midway through and felt the need to keep creating more conflict/tragedy than was needed. The story was good from the beginning and didn't need the extra tragedies to make it an exceptional book. So much more could have been done with the story. By the end, I just wanted to stop readi ...more
Melodie
Nov 20, 2011 Melodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not what I expected. I thought I had it all figured out.Photo journalist goes missing, resumed dead in war torn Iraq. Wife maintains he is not dead, but coming back. After all, he promised.There are the inevitable complications and new relationships. And he does come back.And that my friend is where it stops being predictable.
This was a powerful read.There were out loud gasps from me at times as I read, and tears fell freely. This hit home because I was one of the ones sitting at home
Elise
Nov 29, 2011 Elise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be called "Guess What? Everything you think is going to happen, is going to happen. Surprise!" Fail. I'd describe is as a soap opera written at a grade school level. It was a book to read in between books I really wanted to read, but my time would have been better spent watching reruns of Days of Our Lives. Most disappointing...I can't ever get this time back. Come Back to Me time!
Laura Smith
Jun 11, 2013 Laura Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
The premise of this book intrigued me. Without giving much away (all of this was in the first 20 or so pages) a woman's husband is on a photography assignment in Iraq when his helicopter goes down. The story switches from her point of view in Maryland, without communication or real information on what's become of him, to the husband, injured and in danger in Iraq without any way to contact home. This provides great tension and lots of wonderful discussion questions regarding how long should you ...more
Andrea
Oct 12, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of romance
"Come Back to Me" was a fantastic story of love and loss, dealing with grief, and accepting the challenges life throws at you. It takes you down the path of two people very much in love dealing with opposite ends of a life-altering situation: one struggling to survive and return home, and one struggling to accept and move on after believing a great loss has occurred. There were many surprises, plenty of life lessons, and some very unexpected events. Grab your tissues, and enjoy this fabulous rea ...more
Laurie Carlson

“Come Back to Me” by Melissa Foster

Melissa Foster has done it again! This is her best book yet!
This love story grabs you from the very beginning and never lets you go, even after reading the last word.
This book is a story about love, loss, and then overcoming it all in the toughest of circumstances. This is more than ‘just’ a love story, it is a story of love between two people who are truly, deeply connected by it.
This is the BEST love story I have read in years. In order to read this book, thi
Pat
Oct 13, 2011 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an ARC giveaway.
"Come Back To Me" is the third novel for award winning author Melissa Foster. The first word I thought of as I finished the novel was "haunting". Not in the paranormal way, but the way a song sticks in your head long after it's finished. This novel grabbed me and the twists and turns that follow would not leave my head!
Tess and Beau are a young married couple very much in love. Beau is a professional photographer, waiting for his big break. Tess has started a "head hun
Emerald Barnes
Oct 12, 2011 Emerald Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want a good read that will keep you up at night? Look no further.

Come Back to Me is a tale of loyalties and love. When Tess finds out that Beau died in a helicopter accident, her world is thrown around. She doesn't want to give up on him no matter what everyone else tells her. He promised to come back, and she holds him to that promise. And, she's found out she's pregnant. She doesn't know how to deal with that. But, she didn't expect Louie to come into her life. What was she to do then?

Beau is
Tammy
Jan 12, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, drama
Beau and Tess Johnson have a marriage filled with love and future plans. Both are at the top of their game in their respective fields and when Beau gets an opportunity to boost his career as a photographer in Iraq Tess agrees it is advantageous. It is part of their '5 Year Plan' but soon after Beau leaves for Iraq Tess discovers she is pregnant. Unsure of how she feels about the pregnancy and how Beau will react, she puts off telling him. Unfortunately Beaus helicopter crashes in a remote part o ...more
Carrie Green
Oct 12, 2011 Carrie Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Women's Literature (or what is sometimes dismissed as Chick Lit). Melissa Foster's latest novel is in the same league as books written by such authors as Nicholas Sparks, Jennifer Weiner and Kristin Hannah. Come Back To Me is about a young married couple, Tess and Beau Johnson, who are separated by a tragic accident. On a photography assignment in Iraq, Beau's helicopter crashes. Officials say that there were no survivors. Tess, back at their Maryland home, refuses to believe t ...more
Tia Bach
Oct 26, 2011 Tia Bach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I sit down to write this review, I’m still overcome with emotion. I read this book in two evenings. The last evening I was clutching my IPad, tears streaming down my face, until past midnight. I couldn’t put it down. I needed to be with Tess until the end.

There’s so much I want to tell readers, but so little I want to give away. From the first page, we are thrown into Tess Johnson’s life, a vibrant woman who has just found out she’s pregnant and soon discovers her husband is presumed dead. Sh
Jodi
Jun 26, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can barely see through my tears as I write this. Melissa Foster has crafted a story of true love in the midst of tragedy, a story of overcoming pain and loss, gaining your footing and coming back.
I really enjoyed this book.

Melissa Foster, author of Three International award winning best sellers has written a poignant story that shows the strength of love and faith in overcoming tragedy.

Normally I don’t read romance novels, but I was given the book with a review request from Melissa and thoug
Rachelle Ayala
Dec 09, 2011 Rachelle Ayala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will get under your skin and stick with you for a long time. Believe me, it left me reeling and it was several days before I could calm down enough to write this review.

On the surface, it started the way I expected. Tess and Beau are two people who are very much in love are separated by war and ambition. Along comes the potential replacement love interests. And just when you think the story will be resolved, small and minor mistakes made by the characters careen the story on a heartbre
Nancy Stopper
Dec 26, 2015 Nancy Stopper rated it it was amazing
I initially read this book in 2012, before I even knew who Melissa Foster was as an author. It's an emotional read with twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I read it again now because as a follower of Melissa Foster, an off-handed comment led me to believe she had changed the ending from the time I read it initially.

The first half of the story is set in Maryland and Iraq as Beau goes missing on a trip as a photo-journalist and Tess tries to put the pieces of her life back together. Tess a
Barbara Sissel
Mar 07, 2012 Barbara Sissel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of women's fiction
Come Back To Me is a compelling portrayal of what happens when the human heart is subjected to loss and uncertainty. It is a story that proves that the language of the heart is spoken and understood in the same way the world over regardless of the hostility that is generated through our differences when it comes to matters of race, religion or culture. It is also a story that illustrates that hope is always possible.

I love the title of this book: Come Back To Me. It is what we ask, universally,
Rebecca Berto
Dec 19, 2011 Rebecca Berto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who has family or friends. So easy to connect to this story.
Recommended to Rebecca by: I found it via some blogs.
'Come Back To Me' is a novel about heartbreak, promises, love, conflict, and above all, an imitation of life -- no sappy or comparative horrible ending with this novel.

Author, Melissa Foster, wins over readers with this story. It's no high romance where the biggest problems are why boys are difficult to understand. This novel deals with love, death and conflict in all forms. And Melissa wins on all fronts for me.

Melissa creates an alluring world in 'Come Back To Me'. She takes us on separate jo
Paula Ratcliffe
I was given this book by Melissa for a blog tour. What a great book, we meet Tess and Beau Johnson. Beau is off to Iraq to take pictures when his plane is shot down, Tess learns of his "death" and for reasons to herself can't seem to accept that he's died. Her friends and his family try to help her but find it hard when she is so adamant that he isn't dead. Add to the equation that Tess is pregnant which messes up Beau's 5 year plan.

This book was so full of emotions anger, sadness, betrayal, con
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
I laughed, I cried and I cried some more! The reader gets attached to Tess Johnson a newly pregnant, independent wife who is left to keep down the homefront while her husband, Beau, heads over to Iraq as a photographer. As the reader finds out quickly, his helicopter goes down and we know he has survived. I enjoyed that the reader was in the know because it made the journey for both more interesting; the reader was able to enjoy the story because they knew that he was alive the entire time.

As al
Kathleen Shoop
Oct 16, 2011 Kathleen Shoop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a galley of Come Back to Me and thought it was fantastic. I loved the back and forth between Tess in Maryland and her beloved husband, Beau, struggling to survive in Iraq. Foster showcased two completely different experiences--Tess learning to live without the one she loved and Beau trying just to live. Foster's writing style allowed for that--that each person functioned with only partial information, only slightly understanding the truth. Like life so many times does, Come Back to Me tak ...more
Graham Kershaw
Mar 10, 2013 Graham Kershaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This powerful drama captures the love between a young couple torn apart by war and tragedy.

Beau serves in Irak, whilst Jess plans for his homecoming, and she has a surprise; she’s pregnant. It all turns sour when Beau is pronounced dead in a helicopter crash enveloped in a sheet of flames. But Beau isn’t dead; Iraki women attempt to nurse and smuggle him to safety. Cut off from all communication time passes as he longs for Jess, and forms new bonds in a struggle to survive.

Meanwhile Jess clings
Anne OK
Nov 06, 2011 Anne OK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Oh mercy! This one hit me hard and took its toll on my emotions. Wonderful characters, beautifully written emotional tear-jerker, with an unimaginable and most unexpected wrap-up. The entire time I was reading this book the lyrics from Andrew Lloyd Webbers's "Love Never Dies" kept playing in my mind.

"Love never dies

Love may be fleeting
But loves lives on."

Sylvia Stein
Oct 12, 2011 Sylvia Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Come back to me by Melissa Foster, is a great Book- wow, where do I begin- this book with the parallels in her great storytelling of Maryland and Iraq and the vivid life she gives to her characters- is just brilliance. From the beginning to end- you never want to put the book down, wow, I felt so many emotions. Thank you Melissa! I loved it!

Sylvia Stein
Hilde Alter
Oct 13, 2011 Hilde Alter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Foster has done it again. An extraordinary read, grabs the reader from the first page and keeps the reader engaged until the very end. Highly recommend this book. This author writes with passion no matter her topics, which are all different. There is no way to intuit the ending of any of Foster's books.
Lara Cassity-Lovell
Blown away again...

This is the most beautiful love story! You will laugh, and get angry, and you will cry! It teaches the lesson that love conquers all and reaches across time, space, and even barriers put in place by different cultures!! This is a definite MUST READ!!!
Sandy
Dec 16, 2012 Sandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty lame. Sucked me in then disappointed me with stupid unbelievable twists. The author tried to use twists other authors r successful with. This author didn't no how to pull it off. Disappointing.
Toni Tortorello-Allaway
When I got to chapter 22, the story started to get a little cheesy. The coincides are a little corny & contrived. They're rather cliché & obvious. I was a little disappointed. I thought the beginning was much better than the rest of the book. Its definitely a tear-jerker, so get the Kleenex.
Mary Anne
Dec 11, 2011 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
I could not put this book down! Just when you felt like you knew what twist or turn the book would take, something totally unexpected happened. The characters were interesting and believable. This kept me up way too late at night.
Deborah
Jan 14, 2013 Deborah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you like soap operas you will like this book. It was not my cup of tea. In fact, I hated it and I can't believe it was on Oprah's booklist!
Looking Forward to Reading! 12 29 Oct 13, 2013 01:55PM
  • The Apothecary's Daughter
  • Unto These Hills
  • The Venus Fix (Butterfield Institute, #3)
  • The Enchanted Orchards
  • The Manicurist
  • Falling Skies
  • Falling For Rain
  • Love Letters
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Shame the Devil
  • Nerves of Steel (Hart and Drake, #1)
  • Kiss Me Crazy (The Fitzgerald Family, #3)
  • The Last Letter (Letter #1)
  • Comeback Love
  • Motor City Shakedown (Detroit Mysteries)
  • Wedlocked
NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR

Never miss a release! Follow Melissa here on Amazon and sign up for her newsletter: www.MelissaFoster.com/Newsletter

Start FIVE of Melissa's series FREE in ebook format here:
www.MelissaFoster.com/LIBFREE

Melissa Foster is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling and award-winning author. She writes sexy and heartwarming contemporary romance, new ad
More about Melissa Foster...