Start by marking “To Take Her Pride” as Want to Read:
To Take Her Pride
Read eBook

To Take Her Pride

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  23 reviews
1898 Yorkshire. Aurora Pettigrew has it all—a loving family, a nice home, a comfortable life. She’s waiting for the right man to offer her marriage, and the man for her is Reid Sinclair, heir to the Sinclair fortune and the love of her life. But Reid’s mother, Julia, is against the match and her ruthlessness unearths a family secret that will tear Aurora’s world apart. Unw ...more
Published August 3rd 2012 by Knox Robinson Publishing Ltd (first published March 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about To Take Her Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Take Her Pride

Kristi
With fairy tale connotations Anne Brear offers you a story complete with true love, a stepmother, a wicked queen, and a knight who rides to the rescue. Only the "stepmother" isn't evil; the "queen" is evil, but she's a mother not a queen; and the knight, who is not the hero of the story, his armor is a little too tarnished to be shining.

What in the story is going on?

In the beginning of To Take Her Pride it appears as if it's a childhood sweetheart's story. Aurora and Reid have spent many childho
Amanda
Aurora is sure that she and Reid will be married soon, but life has other plans. And by life, I mean Julia, Reid's evil mother. His father's illness and Reid's own misguided sense of duty pull them further apart, but if not for Julia's interference, all other factors would have been insignificant.

Instead, Aurora ends up far from home and everything familiar, struggling just to survive. Yet she finds unexpected allies in her new life. When life takes yet another tragic turn, the story could easil
Maggi Andersen
Wonderful. Tugs at the heart! Anne Brear's novels always tug at the heartstrings. This beautifully wrought tale is set during the Victorian era in Yorkshire. Aurora Pettigrew believes her life will be a happy and comfortable one, shared with the love of her life, Reid Sinclair. But when someone destroys that dream, Aurora must find the strength to make her way in a far harsher and more difficult world. Brear's characters are always strongly defined and real and the world they inhabit is superbly ...more
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
This is a brilliant book. Just when you think it is going to go one way, it does a 180 on you. I loved Aurora. She was such a great character. Not only was she passionate, but she had the ability to learn and change in such a way that she felt real. Every one of her disappointments, you felt as the reader and every time she stood back up, squared her shoulders and moved on, you cheered for her. I definitely recommend this book!
Ellie
The author has done a very good job showing the life of the down-trodden, the slums of England and what it really means to be poor. And at the same time, while Aurora, the young heroin of the story, was still living a sheltered life at the beginning of the novel, the descriptions of the rich and powerful of this world are also quite believable. I particularly enjoyed Julia Sinclair, the perfect shrew, always ready to show Aurora's family the Pettigrew how low they are on the social scale compare ...more
Beadyjan
A good old fashioned rags to riches story set in Northern England around the turn of the cenury, told with panache and pathos.

The heroine Aurora Pettigrew, has led a sheltered and affluent life, raised by doting parents in a prosperous, opulent home where her main ambition is to marry the boy next door Reid who has reciprocated her love and adoration, but whose mother Julia believes her family to be a cut above her neighbours and does everything she possibly can to intervene and ensure her belov
Jane
First of all I would like to point out that there were some typos which caused grammatical errors in one or two places. This was not hugely distracting but it would have made my reading even more enjoyable if the copy had been proof read more thoroughly before going to 'print'.
A lovely story which made me think of a Barbara Taylor Bradford on Danielle Steel novel in reverse. I really enjoyed this book, there was a lot of content to keep the reader interested. As always when skeletons come out of
Lauren Murphy
3.5/5 stars
Set in 1898, Yorkshire, Aurora Pettigrew dreams of marrying her childhood best friend, Reid Sinclar. Reid's mother is completely against this because she feels Aurora is of a lesser class to her wealthy, first born-son. With Reid's father on his death-bed, he promises Aurora that he will marry her when his family troubles subside. Before he leaves, Aurora and Reid have an intimate encounter that will surely consumnate their love.

When Reid's mother learns of their encounter via interce
Meredith Stoddard
Aurora Pettigrew has loved her neighbor, Reid Sinclair, all he life, but she hasn’t told anyone about it. When Reid professes his love for her, she thinks that her dreams are within her grasp. But Reid’s proud mother doesn’t believe that the Pettigrew’s daughter is good enough for a Sinclair. She conspires to separate the young lovers and sends Aurora on a journey into a world she had never imagined.
I admit, that I have a weakness for historical romances. Yes, I know they’re formulaic and often
Cherry
Chris Bullock
A very enjoyable and emotional saga of the trials and tribulations of a girl rejected from high society and forced to live in the destitution of the poor areas of York. But love conquers all and she fights to return to her rightful way of life.
Very well written, with believable and understandable characters. Occasionally a few spelling errors or omitted words marred the flow of the story line, and jumps between scenes with no paragraph/chapter breaks were slightly confusing, but these could be g
Katie
Feb 16, 2014 Katie added it
Boring. I just couldn't get into this book. I didn't care about any of the characters.
Doreen
I'm glad I persevered with this book. At first I found the heroine stupidly naive and selfish, but she grew a backbone and I came to respect her in the end.

I have only one caveat left, which is that the final wedding would have been illegal in England. This is why I marked it down a star. There would have had to be an annulment of the previous marriage, which under the circumstances would not have been difficult as it probably wasn't legal either. So there would have had to be no great upheavals
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
This historical romance set in Victorian Yorkshire England is Free starting 7/20 till 7/23 in Kindle format!

US:

UK:
Virginia
eeh.....a bit slow, fairly predictable, a decent enough read for what it is. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary as far as 'romance' books go. There are numerous typos and mixed words throughout which weren't necessarily a problem but a bit annoying at the number of them found. Fine for a rainy couple of days but again, take it for what it is.
Gillian
I won this book through Goodreads and i am definately not disappointed. It was a lovely book from start to finish. Interesting characters which really drew you into the book. This is the kind of book i would like to read a 2nd part to based 15 years down the line in their lives. Fabulous!
Stefanie
Nur quergelesen. Manipulative Mutter mischt sich in Pläne der Helden ein. Heldin verlässt Familie, erlebt harte Zeiten, heiratet einen Anderen. Die Ereignisse sind ziemlich vorhersehbar. Einige Sachen und Personen auch ziemlich unnötig.
Amanda
This was a Kindle freebie. The story was good, but the text had quite a few typos and poor editing--perhaps that's why it was free. It was a quick, light, fun read; nothing special, but enjoyable enough.
Review published in the Historical Novels Review, May 2012.
Kbee
Pretty good though the beginning was way to slow. Was close to put it down but in the end I was glad I didn't. Good story.
karinajean
super predictable and oh gracious they threw it all in at the last minute.
Stormnangel
Stormnangel marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Linda Hockman
Linda Hockman marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • The Hermetica of Elysium (The Elysium Texts, #1)
  • Much Ado About Madams
  • Love is a Wounded Soldier
  • The Macgregor's Daughter
  • Liberty Belle
  • Touched By Fire
  • The Secret of Lies
  • The Apple Tree
  • Lady in White: Lords of Midnight
  • Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon Book 1)
  • Winter Rose
  • The Skye in June
  • Sprig of Thyme
  • Of Moths and Butterflies
  • Pretty Persuasion
  • Charlotte (Pride & Prejudice Continues #1)
  • Spanish Serenade
  • Oceans Between Us (A Cinderella Romance)
Anne Brear is an author of historical women's fiction and several short stories.
For more about Anne and her books visit her website - http://annemariebrear.blogspot.com https://www.facebook.com/annemariebre......
Published works:
Writing as Annemarie Brear,
Kitty McKenzie
Long Distance Love
Broken Hero
To Gain What's Lost
New Beginnings: short story anthology.
The Right Man, short story.

Writing as Ann
More about Annemarie Brear...
The House of Women The Gentle Wind's Caress A Noble Place Virtue of a Governess A Most Serious Gentleman