Start by marking “Some Wore Bobby Sox: The Emergence of Teenage Girls' Culture, 1920-1945” as Want to Read:
Some Wore Bobby Sox: The Emergence of Teenage Girls' Culture, 1920-1945

Some Wore Bobby Sox: The Emergence of Teenage Girls' Culture, 1920-1945

Images of teenage girls in poodle skirts dominated American popular culture on the 1950's. But as Kelly Schrum shows, teenage girls were swooning over pop idols and using their allowances to buy the latest fashions well beforehand. After World War I, a teenage identity arose in the US, as well as a consumer culture geared toward it. From fashion and beauty to music and mov ...more
Published June 26th 2004 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Some Wore Bobby Sox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Wore Bobby Sox

Nitrorockets
Jan 11, 2008 Nitrorockets rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pop culture junkies
Society has been set on images of teenage girls in poodle skirts during the 1950's as being the beginning of teenage girl-dom. Author Kelly Schrum focuses on the economic power of teenage American girls beginning after WW I. Through her research she discovered that teenage girls have been swooning over movie stars and using their allowances to buy the latest make-up and fashions for years.

It wasn't until after WW I that a teenage identity arose in America and that's when the consumer culture bec
Shelley
Jan 31, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This was utterly fascinating. Turns out we really have our grandmothers and great-grandmothers to blame for the current teen/tween market going on. They were 12-17 in the 20s and 30s, paying attention to the women's ads and making themselves into the best little untapped consumer market ever. They pushed for the marketing.

Best parts were the teen diary entries - Beth Twiggar was my favorite. Also cool were the results from the 1920s and 30s teen market group. The teens would participate for yea
Donnell
Oct 26, 2015 Donnell rated it it was ok

A bit too academic for me, so--I must confess--I did not read every word.

My favorite is the chapter on the movies called "A Guiding Factor in My Life." Another remind that those silent films we tend to disparage today were--in their day--life changing. With the entrance of the movies, parental influence on their children's lives (especially their teenage daughters) got its first, major, competition.
Julianna
Jun 10, 2016 Julianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociological
Great to-the-point history of American girls of these decades. It transported me to another world and was very matter of fact. I highly recommend it.
AnnaliseFromLOL
AnnaliseFromLOL rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Jen
a topic that completely fascinated me, however written a bit textbook-y and dry.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2012
Erendira
Erendira rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Alyx
Alyx rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Hayley Grace
Hayley Grace rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Closetscorpio
Closetscorpio rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Yasaman
Yasaman rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2009
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Creolecat
Creolecat rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Kewpie
Kewpie rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2010
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2009
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Rami
Rami rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2007
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Chad Robinson
Chad Robinson rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2013
Caiti
Caiti rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Marlena
Marlena rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
meegan
meegan rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2007
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2008
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2008