Migrations and Other Stories

Migrations and Other Stories

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In the story entitled "The Neighbor," seventy-nine-year-old Sarita has just called 911 to report a disturbance next door. Sarita doesn't much like her neighbor Matilde and thinks she's a fool to put up with the philandering boyfriend who beats her. But Sarita feels obligated to help because Matilde's mother was her best friend. "That's for not singing at your funeral, even...more
Paperback
Published March 1st 2007 by Arte Publico Press

To ask other readers questions about Migrations and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Migrations and Other Stories

Beth
A well-written collection of stories. It was an excellent companion to the academic ms. I was editing during working hours (on a Mexican migrant community with ties to Stockton, CA). Her depiction of Mexican-American life in LA rang true, although I don't have firsthand knowledge. But the little details made it all convincing. This is her first book, and I hope she goes on to publish a novel or two.
Heiddi
Jun 03, 2008 Heiddi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
So far so good. I actually got this book from a library sale for a buck. I was immediately drawn to the title and the cover art. Being Latina, I can relate to some of the author's adventures. I've been reading memoirs like this to get a feel for the genre before I write my own. :)
Daver
A good book. Sometimes it seemed a bit inauthentic and superficial, but then it is short stories, and I am not a hispanic immigration expert, so what do I know? Good enough to make me want to look for more from the author, so I suppose that is a decent endorsement.
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Kat Ward
Kat Ward marked it as to-read
May 25, 2012
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2011
Brenda
Brenda added it
Feb 27, 2008
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2007