Loath Letters

Loath Letters

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Step into the world that exists inside all our heads. There are no secrets, no taboos, just humans being human. This book opens the door to our innermost sanctum so we can all gawk at the odd, horrific, fantastic side of human's less spoken of nature. In this collection of short stories, you'll both laugh and cringe, maybe be left feeling violated or finally understood. Di...more
ebook
Published August 10th 2011 by Lulu.com (first published February 7th 2010)

Stephen
I can not, CAN NOT recommend this collection more strongly or with greater enthusiasm. It is one of the great surprises of 2011 for me. Ms. Stewart's raw, amazingly keen insight into the darker aspects of the human condition left me feeling sliced open and psychologically coldcocked. Categorized as transgressive flash fiction (one of my first experiences with either), these extremely short stories are towering when it comes to their depiction of loneliness, pain and that dark inner voice that ne...more
Christy Stewart
This is the least worst thing I have ever done.
Lisette Brodey
Christy Leigh Stewart's "Loath Letters" is a surprisingly emotional powerhouse of writings that reveal the author's quirky, often irreverent wit. With unexpected insight, she exposes the uncomfortable and pulls the lid off the acceptable. Stewart doesn't "color within the lines" and that's precisely what draws the reader to this book. Artist Megan Hansen's edgy, contemporary illustrations couple brilliantly with Stewart's prose to make this a book that you just may find yourself reading more tha...more
Megan Hansen
I was the cover artist, so I am completely unbiased when I say... Doesn't it look awesome?!!!

My ego aside, these short stories were fantastic! Each story was like a small, whiplashing masterpiece. Stewart took the reader into the darker side of the human psyche and makes one both laugh and want to cry. It's a deep honest look into human nature and society which was all at once entertaining and horrifying. Her way with words and her comedic timing was perfection!
FabulousRaye
Mar 01, 2010 FabulousRaye rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone I come across
Recommended to FabulousRaye by: Christy Leigh Stewart
Christy and Megan make an excellent coupling. I don't mean this in a perverted lesbian way, either.

Megan's artwork fits insanely well with the stories. Every medium she used was fantastic! I was especially enamored with the photographs and colleges. It's beautiful work, that I want to look at again.

This is the third book I've read by Christy. Not one of them has bored or disappointed me. They have drawn me in so well that, I end up cramped, parched & starving in my computer chair. I can't be...more
Matthew Revert
I love writing that makes the reader feel uncomfortable. If I read a book that makes me squirm then I think the author has succeeded in something. Let’s face it - a lot of fiction treads a fairly tried and true road, which although sometimes nice, never really challenges the reader. Christy Leigh Stewart’s ‘Loath Letters’ is not one of these books.

As the title implies, ‘Loath Letters’ is comprised of letters or vignettes that act as a confessional outpouring. Societal masks are stripped away, re...more
Sheri
Loath Letters (Christy Leigh Stewart).
A fascinating and often macabre book of short stories. Each filled with emotions. Some intriguing , others sad, or happy. One thing for sure Loath Letters will stay in your memory for a long time. I tried to pick my favorite story, but that would be like trying to have a favorite child. But I must admit, BFF (beach front funeral) really got my attention, how true those words are!

Another great reason to read this book is the awesome artwork of Miss Megan Hans...more
Kate
Aug 02, 2010 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of very short but meaningful fiction
Shelves: bizarro
This is a book that begs to be read more than once.

The first time I read this book, I read it all the way through in one sitting and I didn't even realize I was holding my breath until the very end.

The second time I read it I took one story, read it, then contemplated on it for the remainder of the day and always came to the same conclusion that Christy Leigh Stewart is a master of the short short, since she can convey more emotion in one page then some writers can in a 200 page book and that Me...more
Amber
Recurring misuse of then/than aside... YES! YES! YES! The short stories that comprise Loath Letters are twisted, funny, sad, sweet, demented, biting, surprising...FANTASTIC.

I had actually read a number of these short stories a few years ago, and it was a joy to read them again. The short stories in Loath Letters showcase the kind of writing that made Christy Leigh Stewart one of my favorite writers.

Hats off to the artwork by Megan Hansen as well. I especially liked the mixed media/collage work!
Kevin Shamel
I had no idea what to expect when I opened this book. It amazed me when I did. This is excellent writing blended with excellent art. The stories and the artwork entwine and compliment each other perfectly. This is a gorgeous, honest book. GET IT NOW.
Danny Mcphillips
This is a great book of short stories with some fantastic illustrations. It`s honesty will make you laugh and cringe on the same page. There are stories here that I think we can all relate to and some I hope we can`t.
Matt Margo
First off, I WON!

Now that that is out of the way, I must begin by stating that little else in life thrills and enthralls me in the way that an incredible book from a still new or undiscovered author does. As an aspiring writer, I tend to have those occasional moments of doubt, panic, and uncertainty that I am sure any wannabe author has. Despite what people may say about my work or what praise I may receive, I sometimes wonder whether or not I will be able to actually make anything of myself one...more
Jason
This is an amazing conglomeration of emotion. It literally holds every human characteristic and personality flaw that ever existed (I counted) - and all told with genuine honesty. I felt like this collection of thoughts served as a glove that housed my brain-hand. I felt like a voyeur who wanted to see more through peek-a-boo eyes. Whether the particular passage was based on a situation of strength or a weakness, they all ended with a middle finger.

Veracious, vengeful, vulnerable, and violent "L...more
Krystal
Super-quick read.

The concept of reversing most traditional gender roles was well-played and interesting.

That being said, I found it pretty bothersome that each letter or section ended with what felt less like an end and more like a punchline. A punchline that (especially after reading the first few) you could see coming from a mile away.

I will say that "Feminism" was pretty funny and dead-on, though.
Donald
I didn't win the paperback in the giveaway program, but I received this fine PDF to read on my Kindle. The first copy I tried to read was an unedited/under-edited version which I didn't finish. I received a second, more refined copy and got through it.

Loath Letters is a collection of shorts with clever twists or some angst to spill forth. They are sometimes angry, sometimes pained, and somewhat nihilistic. Quite a few of them are flash fiction at under a thousand words which make them quick read...more
Kayla
This book-well, ebook, is unlike any other that I can remmeber reading, in a good way. It startles and frightens the reader, but it’s not your typical happy love filled endings. It’s set apart from all else, can’t be judged by other books.
I thought it was very enjoyable. It was an eye-opener and was unique, above all else.
Though some stories were shocking and gruesome, they’re truthful, and unafraid to hold anything back.
The artwork, added in after every few stories, was fantastic and I loved it...more
Jason Bailey
Christy Leigh Stewart's "Loath Letters" is a great piece of independent fiction that would likely have been shunned by a publishing house caught up on categorizations -- it's not a novel, not poetry and not even really a short story collection.
What it is is something new, a book that is both viciously raw and unapologetically confessional, written in bite-sized passages that read like private hellcries of pain and torment that aim to invert the dominant milieu of cultural and gender stereotypes....more
Stephanie Mcelrath
These short stories closely resemble those of Angel Dust Apocalypse, in my opinion. They are very good. Some are pretty macabre, here again not for everyone. There are a few stories that have something to do with rape or inappropriate relationships between family members - if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, I would not recommend the book.

I liked it.
Kelly Sermeno
I was read most of this book outloud. It was awesome, made me feel like a child again. I enjoyed the stories, most of them were funny and some sad and they all had the authors unique view on things. I enjoyed the book and look foward to reading more from the talented author! =)

also the artwork is great.
Georgiann Hennelly
A fascinating read. A book of short stories. Each filled with emotions some happy, some sad others just intriguing. Loath letters will stay in my memory for a long time. I couldn,t really pick a favorite story, as i enjoyed them all. Its one of those books that you just don,t want to stop reading.
Dina
Very brave “open soul surgery” author performed on herself. I actually am too emotional right now to analyze this book any deeper. In addition, artwork by Megan Hansen is amazing. Overall reading this book was unforgettable experience.
Brian
Loved it! Great collection of dark short stories. You will die if you do not pick up this book!
John Doe
I was really into Henry Miller in my mid 20's. He tried to naturalize sex, to uncover what is normally covered up. I was explaining this to my step mom who was looking at picture of a nun contemplating a penis. It was the wallpaper on my laptop. She said,"I don't know how covered up it is!"

Now, Henry Miller is dead. And, thankfully Stewart is alive. Some of us are sheep and some of us are wolves. When you meet another wolf you can't help but howl with your friends. Stewart is my favorate living...more
Eleanor Jethro
What a great and different book this was - I enjoyed the whole thing - was upset with parts, laughted at some, and cried at others.
Although I did not win this on Goodreads, I did enter the contest & Christy very graciously sent me a pdf copy of it to read.
I look forward to reading more of her books.
Heather
A very interesting and thought-provoking collection of short stories, poems, and essays. She really makes you think in these and some of them will just blow you away. That's why I really like this collection!

I received this copy for free from the Goodreads Giveaways.
Johnny Coan
Its a masterpiece Christy ;)~ Love Your imagination it Rocks !! Never a dull moment ;)~ Thanks Christy You Rock !!! ;)~
Katey
A lot of the stories are twisted, many are darkly hilarious, most are both, and all are deeply satisfying.
Danielle
Awesome. Sick and twisted, but awesome.
Pan
Unlike a lot of the older reviews here I didn't win this book nor did I receive a free copy. I purchased the kindle edition after reading the raving reviews here; I wish I could return it for a refund.

There is nothing ghastly appalling here unless cable television drama (think law and order) jars you. These stories are mostly flash fiction, although a few of them were more than a page or two long. Almost all of them have a punch line. An ending twist sentence that is supposed to shock you. Some...more
Mathew Walls
Dark, bleak stories that confound your expectations in ways that are sometimes funny and sometimes terrible. The stories are very short and you could easily get through the whole thing in one sitting, but you probably shouldn't, because the more you read the more it gets to you. Quite unpleasant at times, but well worth reading. Sort of similar to Bible Camp Bloodbath, but quite distinct from it as well. The author begins the book by saying "this is not an autobiography in any way, shape or form...more
  • Rotten Little Animals
  • Piecemeal June
  • The Heart of Aces
  • THE BROTHERS CRUNK - An 8-Bit Fack-It-All Adventure in 2D
  • Angel Dust Apocalypse
  • Molly Hacker Is Too Picky!
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Orange)
  • House of Houses
  • Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
  • Lick Your Neighbor
  • Bucket of Face
  • Muscle Memory
  • Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
Also zines?

Dada Yow: Pfft! Magazet 2
Title: Quip #1, Quip #11.1, Quip #111, Quip #111.11, Quip #1111, Quip #11111, Quip #111111, Quip #1111111, Quip #11.11.11, Quip #1.111.11.1

My Bed Has AIDS

Title: Handicap Nazi
Genre: nonfiction, essay, history

Asexy Life
Tit...more
More about Christy Leigh Stewart...
Familiar Scars Terminally Beautiful Satan Is The New Cupid Accessible Love Stories Satanic Bedtime Stories

“This semester has born in me the flame of hope to one day become a leader in the modern feminist movement. I can and will be the force that blows new life into it, giving a face and name to associate with instead of those women now who’s names I don’t know because they weren’t listed on Wikipedia.” 8 likes
“ I want to find a designer that can represent me. I want to find a celebrity that reflects me.

So far I’ve been dressing in cotton-polyester blends.

It’s what Jerffrey Dahmer wore.”
6 likes