Start by marking “The Quick Fix” as Want to Read:
The Quick Fix

The Quick Fix (Big Splash #2)

In this much-anticipated sequel to The Big Splash, junior high detective Matt Stevens is back on the case, bringing us another hilarious middle school noir.
When the star of the basketball team is blackmailed, it’s up to Matt, the lone voice for justice in a morass of middle school corruption, to figure out who’s behind the scheme. Is it eighth-grade crime lord Vinny “Mr.
Published October 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Quick Fix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quick Fix

Daniel
Jan 03, 2017 Daniel rated it liked it
Again, lots of twists that make you confused, lots of swear words, still pretty funny.
Pop Bop
Aug 03, 2016 Pop Bop rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Middle School Is the New Noir

I'm a big fan of high school and middle grade noir. Apart from the fact that good ones are entertaining, I especially like the idea of younger readers developing a taste for tightly plotted and snappily written books. Such books can also be a bracing balance to a diet otherwise heavy on fantasy or action/adventure. (Wow, that sounds pretty full-of-itself, doesn't it?) The fact is that I particularly liked this book because it did so many things so well.

First off, the
Ms. Yingling
Dec 04, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Matt is back after The Big Splash, and this time he has been hired by cheerleader Melissa to find out why her boyfriend Will has been acting strangely. Will had a wooden box that everyone in the school seems to want, especially criminal syndicate hear, Vinnie Biggs.Vinnie also wants to hire Matt to get the box, but Matt really doesn't want to deal with Vinnie or his hired thugs, the Thompson Twins, who also make highly addictive Pixy Stix. When Melissa is put on "the Outs", and the box has a pie ...more
Jonathan
Sep 29, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
What would you do if somebody stole a candy right in front of your face would you tell the store let him go? The Quick Fix is a mystery book because they are trying to catch the thief that stole candy from the store.I think would rate this book 7/10 i rate this book 7/10 because i like mystery as i said already.

setting of this book is in school,outside of school and at home.This book is not the greatest but its a really good book for me. This book is good for you if you like mystery.This book
Triwizard27
Jan 17, 2013 Triwizard27 rated it it was amazing
Set only two weeks after the events of the first novel, a new mystery has already hit our favorite middle school. Matt Stevens, private detective, is hired by many different people, including many interesting new characters, who are all after same intriguing item. Just as with the first novel, the mystery is fun and everything ties back together quite nicely. I rated this one higher than The Big Splash because this mystery had me guessing more and there were more twists and turns. The final fift ...more
Kathy
Although I was not quite as taken with this book as I was with THE BIG SPLASH, it really is a good read. It can certainly be read on its own, but is better as a follow-up to THE BIG SPLASH, because you can see the continuing deterioration of the social order at Matt's middle school, the Frank.

This time, Matt is hired to deliver the payoff to a blackmailer. Of course, things go wrong. There are twists enough to start a dance craze, and so much squirt gun action that you'll need a mop. The pace at
K. Vela
Jan 31, 2016 K. Vela rated it really liked it
The Quick Fix The Quick Fix is a realistic fiction book and a sequel to The Big Splash. Set mostly in “The Frank” (Franklin Middle School), Matt Stevens (private-eye) is hired by four interested parties (the school bully, the candy dealers, and two cheerleaders) to solve the mystery of a wooden decorative trinket. But who is the rightful owner, and why would they want to pay top dollar for its safe return? What he is about to uncover will change his life! The book’s plot twists and turns will le ...more
Kristin
This started off as a fairly decent sequel to The Big Splash, the first book in this series about middle school detective Matt Stevens. However, the plot spun pretty wildly out of control toward the second and all out caved in on itself by the end. This spoof on hard-boiled detective novels works on one level - it's episodic and very much resembles the dialogue of a TV show. There are stock characters and fairly easy to digest situational setups. Just the same, this book took a pretty bizarre tu ...more
May 02, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed this book (which is an accomplishment because I'm not really a mystery fan), it didn't have the charm of the first book. It's probably because the first book set the bar so high. It's difficult for a sequel to deliver as well as the first book.

I enjoyed the book with its twists and turns. I'm looking forward to another sequel which may include the war between the Ins and the Outs.

I'm also hoping to learn more about Matt's dad.

I swear that I'm going to by all of this author's book
Jana
5 wonderful chocolate chips cookies dunked in milk.

Cover Love:
Yes. It fits the books well!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I ADORED Jack's first book The Big Splash. It was an awesome slice of noir set in a middle school. Couldn't wait for this one!

Read the rest of my review here.
Amy
Jul 01, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
My 6th grade daughter begged me to read this novel after she devoured it in three days. I see why she loved it: everything I love about adult detective novels can be found here! As a 7th grade teacher, I had to suspend judgment a bit as the events and 7th grade relationships were total fantasy, but middle schoolers won't view it that way!
Drucilla
Apr 30, 2013 Drucilla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed, f
Just as good as the first. The mystery had a lot more twists and turns and, at times, it was a little hard to keep up, but it ends up setting up another book beautifully. There was a really weird "reveal" that almost had me knock this book down to four stars, but it ends up working out. Why the author put it in, I don't know. Can't wait to see if another book is coming!
Carrie Shaurette
Dec 13, 2012 Carrie Shaurette rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Although the mystery is different and new characters are introduced, the structure of this novel is similar to its predecessor, The Big Splash. Ferraiolo brings his characteristic wit to this whodunit that ties up some loose ends from the first book.
pianogal
Aug 04, 2015 pianogal rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, z2015-reads
Excellent follow up. I really like where this series is headed. I can't seem to find if the author has a third book out, or coming out, b/c I have my fingers crossed. Lot of questions got answered, but that just makes me want to read more.

Come on author guy...we want more!
Jacqui
Oct 23, 2014 Jacqui rated it it was amazing
He does it again! Loved part two and looking forward to part 3 (which I'm sure is in the pipeline, the ending pretty solidly hinted at that)
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
SuzPepper 2.0
SuzPepper 2.0 rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Larry Leister
Larry Leister rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Suzpepper
Suzpepper rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
DaNae
DaNae rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2014
John Joseph
John Joseph rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Tyquez
Tyquez rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Greyson Cotter
Greyson Cotter rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
Lucio Bollettieri
Lucio Bollettieri rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Milk Badger
Milk Badger rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hi...I'm Jack... I've been editing and writing for tv animation for about ten years now, working on such shows as Squigglevision (ABC), Home Movies (Adult Swim), and O'Grady (The N). I also developed and currently write for WordGirl on PBS, for which I won an Emmy. My first novel, The Big Splash, is like Raymond Chandler meets Goodfellas set in a middle school. Here's a couple of reviews:

More about Jack D. Ferraiolo...

Big Splash (2 books)