Start by marking “The Quick Fix” as Want to Read:
The Quick Fix

The Quick Fix (Big Splash #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this much-anticipated sequel to The Big Splash, junior high detective Matt Stevens is back on the case, bringing us another hilarious middle school noir.
When the star of the basketball team is blackmailed, it’s up to Matt, the lone voice for justice in a morass of middle school corruption, to figure out who’s behind the scheme. Is it eighth-grade crime lord Vinny “Mr.
Published October 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Quick Fix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quick Fix

Pop Bop
Middle School Is the New Noir

I'm a big fan of high school and middle grade noir. Apart from the fact that good ones are entertaining, I especially like the idea of younger readers developing a taste for tightly plotted and snappily written books. Such books can also be a bracing balance to a diet otherwise heavy on fantasy or action/adventure. (Wow, that sounds pretty full-of-itself, doesn't it?) The fact is that I particularly liked this book because it did so many things so well.

First off, the
Ms. Yingling
Matt is back after The Big Splash, and this time he has been hired by cheerleader Melissa to find out why her boyfriend Will has been acting strangely. Will had a wooden box that everyone in the school seems to want, especially criminal syndicate hear, Vinnie Biggs.Vinnie also wants to hire Matt to get the box, but Matt really doesn't want to deal with Vinnie or his hired thugs, the Thompson Twins, who also make highly addictive Pixy Stix. When Melissa is put on "the Outs", and the box has a pie ...more
Triwizard27
Set only two weeks after the events of the first novel, a new mystery has already hit our favorite middle school. Matt Stevens, private detective, is hired by many different people, including many interesting new characters, who are all after same intriguing item. Just as with the first novel, the mystery is fun and everything ties back together quite nicely. I rated this one higher than The Big Splash because this mystery had me guessing more and there were more twists and turns. The final fift ...more
Kathy
Although I was not quite as taken with this book as I was with THE BIG SPLASH, it really is a good read. It can certainly be read on its own, but is better as a follow-up to THE BIG SPLASH, because you can see the continuing deterioration of the social order at Matt's middle school, the Frank.

This time, Matt is hired to deliver the payoff to a blackmailer. Of course, things go wrong. There are twists enough to start a dance craze, and so much squirt gun action that you'll need a mop. The pace at
Kristin
This started off as a fairly decent sequel to The Big Splash, the first book in this series about middle school detective Matt Stevens. However, the plot spun pretty wildly out of control toward the second and all out caved in on itself by the end. This spoof on hard-boiled detective novels works on one level - it's episodic and very much resembles the dialogue of a TV show. There are stock characters and fairly easy to digest situational setups. Just the same, this book took a pretty bizarre tu ...more
While I enjoyed this book (which is an accomplishment because I'm not really a mystery fan), it didn't have the charm of the first book. It's probably because the first book set the bar so high. It's difficult for a sequel to deliver as well as the first book.

I enjoyed the book with its twists and turns. I'm looking forward to another sequel which may include the war between the Ins and the Outs.

I'm also hoping to learn more about Matt's dad.

I swear that I'm going to by all of this author's book
Jana
5 wonderful chocolate chips cookies dunked in milk.

Cover Love:
Yes. It fits the books well!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I ADORED Jack's first book The Big Splash. It was an awesome slice of noir set in a middle school. Couldn't wait for this one!

Read the rest of my review here.
Drucilla
Just as good as the first. The mystery had a lot more twists and turns and, at times, it was a little hard to keep up, but it ends up setting up another book beautifully. There was a really weird "reveal" that almost had me knock this book down to four stars, but it ends up working out. Why the author put it in, I don't know. Can't wait to see if another book is coming!
Amy
My 6th grade daughter begged me to read this novel after she devoured it in three days. I see why she loved it: everything I love about adult detective novels can be found here! As a 7th grade teacher, I had to suspend judgment a bit as the events and 7th grade relationships were total fantasy, but middle schoolers won't view it that way!
Carrie Shaurette
Although the mystery is different and new characters are introduced, the structure of this novel is similar to its predecessor, The Big Splash. Ferraiolo brings his characteristic wit to this whodunit that ties up some loose ends from the first book.
Jacqui
He does it again! Loved part two and looking forward to part 3 (which I'm sure is in the pipeline, the ending pretty solidly hinted at that)
Shawn
This book was pure fun.
William Utleg
William Utleg marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
June Cho
June Cho marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Zinto
Zinto marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Adam Hsu
Adam Hsu marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Robin
Robin added it
Oct 04, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hi...I'm Jack... I've been editing and writing for tv animation for about ten years now, working on such shows as Squigglevision (ABC), Home Movies (Adult Swim), and O'Grady (The N). I also developed and currently write for WordGirl on PBS, for which I won an Emmy. My first novel, The Big Splash, is like Raymond Chandler meets Goodfellas set in a middle school. Here's a couple of reviews:

More about Jack D. Ferraiolo...
Sidekicks The Big Splash