Start by marking “Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)

Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  844 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Once you visit the charming village of Acorn Hill, tucked away in rural Pennsylvania, you’ll never want to leave. Townsfolk relax on their porch swings or gather to discuss the day’s events at the Coffee Shop over homemade pie. It’s the kind of town where friendship and faith flow together like a wide river on a fine spring day. However, the sleepy town of Acorn Hill is in ...more
Audio CD
Published September 1st 2010 by Oasis Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Back Home Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back Home Again

Carol Preston
If you're mad about heritage restoration and interior decorating you'll probably love this story of three sisters come back together in their senior years to renovate their childhood home and turn it into an inn. Old sibling rivalries re-emerge and are dealt with. There are some ups and downs and a few minor conflicts, but there was not enough drama or challenge to really move me or keep me more than minimally engaged. It was a sweet story with a nice ending, but very light.
Joyce
Mar 31, 2013 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. Not her usual YA Christian which I also like to read. There are 25 books in this Tales From Grace Chapel Inn series (not all Kindle), and I would like to read them all :)

Description from Amazon:
But these three women are as differen
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I found this a very light cozy read. It's christian fiction but very lightly woven in not in your face. It's the first book in the Tales From Grace Chapel Inn. I've heard you can read any of the books in the series out-of-order except the first one. You need to know how the three sisters come together again and start the Inn before you can read about their various adventures. If you get stuck on the series, it's got 32 books in the series. Each book is written by one only author, but the series ...more
Sherry Jolly
Oct 28, 2008 Sherry Jolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was simple, sweet, and comforting. Perfect to read with a warm mug of cocoa, your favorite throw, and a comfie chair!

The characters had life-like qualities (no one was perfect), real-life problems and situations, while still having a deep foundation of God, family, and community.

Angela Hutchens
Jun 15, 2015 Angela Hutchens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light reading that you can easily finish in a day. Sweet story of 3 sisters learning to get along later in life.
Julie Barrett
Jan 10, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back Home Again, Tales from Grace Chapel Inn Series by Melody Carlson
Alice Howard is there to tend to her dads' funeral and she's waiting for her sisters Louise and Jane to finish some details.
The aunt Ethel can't even think of what they'll do with the house...
The sisters want to start over again, there in town and think the house would be a good B&B and they can all pitch in.
Things get out of hand when Aunt Ethel puts her two cents in and before they know it the sisters have to appear in fr
NancyInWI
Oct 12, 2009 NancyInWI rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three adult daughters are reunited when their father, a pastor at Grace Chapel, passes away. They meet again at their family home, an old Victorian house that is in disrepair. The sisters, though miles apart in demeanor and station in life, come together to repair and renovate the home and transform it into the Grace Chapel Inn.
A Christian easy readable "feel good" gentle read. While it started out slow, I'm glad I stuck with it. I came to love the sisters and smiled at the end
Jerry
Jul 15, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

The start of a expansive multi-author series, Back Home Again made for an easy, quick, and enjoyable read. Like the series premiere of a TV show, the book sets up characters and relationships for later in the series. Fans of other small-town, Christian series such as Jan Karon's Mitford will definitely enjoy this.

Content Concerns: Nothing in this department; it was completely innocent.

Score: 4/5
Debbie
Jul 17, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good story. No language issues, no sex, just a nice story. I'm looking forward to reading on and my library has the entire series.
Jane(Janelba)
Feb 19, 2013 Jane(Janelba) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane(Janelba) by: briansgirl
What can I say I absolutely adored this book and now am really sad as the other books are so difficult to get a hold of and also so expensive ! So please to have been introduced to the town of Grace Chapel and to meet Alice, Louise and Jane and their adventures turning the family home into an Inn.
Ratforce
You might want to try the inspirational series Tales from Grace Chapel Inn. The series is made up of warm and heartfelt stories with a focus on faith, and since each title is written by a different author, it may also help you find new favorite writers. This is the first in the series.
Janie  R. Freeman
I loved reading this book, cozy and warm, sipping my hot chocolate! And I love the old Victorian house and the small town the story takes place in. I am looking forward to the continuation of the Tales from Grace Chapel Inn series. Thank you, Melody Carlson for a great read!
Marbeth
Apr 20, 2013 Marbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this heartwarming book about three sisters who reunite after the death of their Father, a local minister, and turn the family home into a B&B.
L-V
Dec 07, 2009 L-V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read-it
I love this series. Easy reads with likable characters. There's always an uplifting, spiritual message interwoven into the story.
Mamey
Dec 21, 2012 Mamey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Very nice quick, easy story. Christian book. Loved the storyline.....
Stampartiste
Nov 10, 2014 Stampartiste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book (the first in the series) after reading a couple of later stories. It was nice to read the background information on this delightful series of books. Carlson is a very good writer and provided wonderful character development on the three sisters featured in this series. I am thoroughly enjoying them -- just nice, calming books to read after the messiness of every day life. I only gave this book four stars as I reserve five stars for what I consider classics or a classic in the m ...more
Ruth Ann
This is the first book in the Tales from Grace Chapel Inn Series. Melody Carlson (the author of one of my favorite Christmas stories, The Christmas Bus) introduces the reader to the three Howard sisters: Louise, Alice, and Jane. What I liked best about this book is that once the sisters are back in their family home, they revert to their old behavioral patterns. Louise even admits to acting 17. I think this is often true, especially if siblings have not had a chance to live near one another and ...more
Ronna
May 22, 2013 Ronna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Chapel Inn, located in the village of Acorn Grove, gets its beginning in the sweet, light first book that is now extended to almost 50 books. Melody Carson authors this first book in this Christian series about three sisters and their Bed and Breakfast, the Grace Chapel Inn. Various other Christian authors take turns in continuing this interesting series on Christian life, problems, friendships and faith.

In this book, the sisters reunite after their minister father dies and leaves his old
Nancy
Mar 18, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back Home Again is a marvelous and wholesome book by Melody Carlson. It is the story of three sisters, who have not always gotten along, who reunite after the death of their father. Their father has left the family home, an old Victorian, to the sisters. They decide to turn it into a bed and breakfast but not without some trials and tribulations along the way. Most of these trials and tribulations are caused by the residents of the small town, Acorn Hill. Some of the residents you love and some ...more
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

"The sleepy town of Acorn Hill is in for a surprise when the three Howard sisters reunite after the death of their father. Each has inherited a share of his worn-down Victorian house, and they dream of turning the family home into a bed-and-breakfast. But these three women are as different as siblings can be--can they survive living together, let alone going into business together? It looks like their dream may be headed for disaster! Only by learning to work together, trusting i
Melissa Robinson
Carson, the author of numerous Christian fiction titles for adults, teens and children, starts a new series with Back Home Again.

The Howard family home has been a local landmark for decades. When Reverend Howard, the long-time pastor of Grace Chapel dies, he bequeaths the slightly dilapidated, but still charming old house to his three daughters. Despite their very different temperaments and interests, the sisters decide to take a major leap of faith and turn their family home into a bed and brea
sandra sprenger
May 12, 2014 sandra sprenger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who said you can't go home again?

this is the first book I've read by Melody Carson, but won't be the last. this is a fast read, but so worth the journey. the characters are charming, yet true to life. I am one of three, and we were all vastly different. it does not matter the storyline is simple, sometimes we want a "feel good" read. this author will be on my watch list for more books. would highly recommend this book. right u there with M. Benching.
Natychia Young
Dec 27, 2014 Natychia Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever read from the Tales of Grace Chapel Inn serie and it hooked me from the start. Melody Carlson creates such rich characters that grab your attention and pull you in as a member of their family. The relationships between the three sisters and their friends make for interesting adventures and situations at every turn. Definitely a great book to read.
Linda
Nov 12, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of a Christian series called Tales from Grace Chapel Inn. It was an interesting look at small town life but there wasn't anything exciting about the story. A few things were rather incorrect, or maybe they were just dated to many years before this story took place: Alice, the main character is a nurse and her career was rather strange. A Head Nurse that can go part-time? Also there were some dated ideas about sick and injured people.

That aside, the story was a wholesome re
Elaine
Beloved to Acorn Hill, Daniel Howard, father to Louise, Alice, and Jane, has just died, bringing Jane and Louise back home to where Alice, the middle sister, had been living with their father as she worked as a nurse nearby.

From debates on color and wallpaper to reaching compromises along the way, this first book in the Tales from Grace Chapel Inn marks the inception of the inn and how it came about.

Okay. Well that rarely happens. When I read a book and like it more the second time around. Well
Jill
Jun 04, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When their father dies, his 3 daughters now own the old Victorian house. Can these 3 very different women bring the old home back to life and still be friends with each other? God's Blessings help then make it through the pitfalls they face. Grace, Grace, God's Grace.
Trisha
Jan 24, 2016 Trisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good christian book for an older lady. Starts off with Dad dying and the three sisters left with big house. Absolutely no excitement at all. The worst part in the book is gossip. Yikes Could have been such a good story but it went no where.
Toni kirsch
Mar 14, 2015 Toni kirsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed...

The three sisters reminded me of me and my sisters. We all have such very different personalities but given a good project we usually come up with a winner...after a few arguments and ups and downs of course.
Barbi
Sep 07, 2014 Barbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The characters were all wonderfully written and developed. I loved the dynamics between Alice, Louise, and Jane and how they learned to work together. I was even more anxious to finish the book when I discovered 1/2 way through that it was a Guideposts book since I love that magazine. When the book was done, I wanted to go stay at the Grace Chapel B&B!
Michele
Jan 24, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an enjoyable book about three sisters who inherit the old family home after the death of their father and decide to turn it into a Bed & Breakfast. The book tracks the ups and downs of this endeavor but it is also about the very different personalities of the three sisters as well as an aunt and the other townspeople.

There is the youngest, Jane, who is a chef and tends towards modern design. Then there is Louise, the oldest, who is a music teacher and loves all things Victorian. Finally
Madison Mega-Mara...: Back Home Again - 11th Feb Book 1 3 Feb 22, 2013 05:07PM
  • Going to the Chapel (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #2)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Something Old, Something New (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #10)
  • Mystery at the Inn (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #19)
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)
  • The Spirit of the Season (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #21)
  • Eyes on the Prize (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #43)
  • Julia's Hope (The Wortham Family Series, #1)
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Story
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
  • Paper Angels
  • A New Chapter (Secrets of Mary's Bookshop, #1)
  • A Distant Music (The Mountain Song Legacy #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

Tales from Grace Chapel Inn (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Going to the Chapel (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #2)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Portraits of the Past (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #5)
  • Winter Wonders (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #6)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
  • Slices of Life (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #8)
  • Midsummer Melody (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #9)
  • Something Old, Something New (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #10)
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)