Start by marking “The Fresh Egg Cookbook: From Chicken to Kitchen, Recipes for Using Eggs from Farmers' Markets, Local Farms, and Your Own Backyard” as Want to Read:

Fresh eggs offer great nutrition and unbeatable flavor. Whether you’re collecting eggs from a backyard coop or buying them from local farms, Jennifer Trainer Thompson has 101 delicious recipes to help you make the most of them. With unique twists on breakfast classics like French toast, eggs Florentine, and huevos rancheros, as well as tips for using your eggs in smoothies ...more
Published January 31st 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Fresh Egg Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fresh Egg Cookbook

gina
Jan 08, 2013 gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, chickens
Sooo...when the three modest laying hens began having enough eggs where we were like "what do we do with all these eggs!" I needed a cookbook to back me up. Granted, the chickens weren't in egg laying overdrive. No, we just were egged out and not eating as much. They began to pile up. If you google around you'll find tons of recipes that pride themselves on using few or no eggs at all. None of that for me please. This book churns out recipes that easily require 4-8 eggs!! 8 eggs! Heck to the yea ...more
Aubrey Anne
May 28, 2015 Aubrey Anne rated it really liked it
I've been looking for a book that is a hybrid of keeping chickens,as well as recipes for their meat and eggs. This book isn't that, but it's as close as it seems I'm going to get in 2015. There are a plethora of egg recipes that are exciting, versitile, and diverse. Thompson also shares many stories from her family's chicken raising adventures which i greatly enjoyed reading.
Emily
Dec 07, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Book Review for The Fresh Egg Cookbook by Jennifer Trainer Thompson

It isn’t often that I consider a cookbook a “good read”, however when I picked up The Fresh Egg Cookbook by Jennifer Trainer Thompson I was immediately enthralled. This is a cookbook that is captivating! Thompson has a beautiful way with words and her book is filled with stories about her backyard chicken experiences as well as amazing recipes, and helpful hints. She talks about the triumphs and failures that come along with rais
EdibleNotesReviews
Which came first – the chicken, the egg or the cookbook? We wish this book had come first, certainly before the ever-more available fresh eggs at farmers’ markets or from the backyard coop. Egg recipes are often overlooked in more cookbooks than not, sublimed to mere ingredient status except in the occasional brunch cookbook. The Fresh Egg Cookbook from Jennifer Trainer Thompson (of Jump Up and Kiss Me Hot Sauce fame) handles the oeuvre without missing a beat.

The mastery of egg cookery is one of
Kate  Maxwell
Dec 20, 2011 Kate Maxwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
The Fresh Egg Cookbook is a fabulous book that blends stories, tips on raising chickens, how-to's for the proper way to work with eggs, as well as many wonderful and simple recipes that use eggs. I have not yet had a chance to make any of the recipes, but a quick glance of them show this experienced cook that the recipes are very easy to follow and are full of flavour.

Thompson shares her experience with raising chickens with her family and all of the 'good, bad and ugly' stories that go along wi
Ietrio
Dec 10, 2016 Ietrio rated it liked it
Shelves: practical
Nice try. There is a strong theme. But there are way too many words for too few recipes that aren't any special.
Michelle
Oct 26, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reader's copy of this book from netgalley.

Last year my husband and I decided it would be a great idea to raise our own chickens. We had recently moved out to the country, and have about a two acre property. My husband built the coop, and we allow our hens to roam free range on our property.
We have three Barred Plymouth Rock hens, and I get about two to three eggs out of them every day.
I cook eggs, but I don't cook eggs everyday, and definitely not a dozen and a half eggs a
Kristi
Jan 13, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook, 2012
With the prevalence of backyard chicken owners, farmers markets and local farms, having access to fresh eggs is much easier than it has been. In fact, if you own chickens, sometimes you wonder what you can do with all of them. Fear no more, as The Fresh Egg Cookbook will take you "From Chicken to Kitchen" and give you a wealth of recipes to choose from.

Full review on blog: http://booksyarnink.blogspot.com/2012...
Kristi
Apr 06, 2012 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-stuffs
With four hens in the backyard giving us 3-4 eggs a day, this book is essential in utilizing our amazing and plentiful bounty.

Update: this was a library book, and it is so good that I will purchase a copy. The recipes are super and inventive (I'm cooking indian styled eggs for dinner tonight and cannot wait!) and I loved reading more about my favorite new hobby, raising hens.

I'd say this is a must- have for folks with chooks.
Kirsten
Feb 20, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it
The incredible edible egg!

This is a totally charming book that has great recipes, beautiful photos, and wonderful stories about the author's relationship to her chickens. Very fun -- although I was hoping for tips on how to peel fresh hardboiled eggs. The answer seems to remain "keep them until they're not that fresh anymore."
Joanna
Feb 20, 2013 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this book! I read it cover to cover and expect to try many of the recipes. I also especially enjoyed the charming illustrations and fun anecdotal elements. She loves her chickens like I love mine!
May-Ling
Apr 07, 2012 May-Ling rated it it was amazing
this cookbook with a story was a delight to read, imparting some wisdom about raising chickens, alongside a wide assortment of egg recipes. i like how there's a chapter on recipes for using lots of eggs - those come in handy sometimes!
Monique
Mar 17, 2012 Monique rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook with interesting fun quotes and stories about chickens and eggs. Thanks to my local library.
Charlene
Apr 13, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it
A useful spread of recipes for using eggs without getting tired of them. I copied down a lot of recipes from here for future use when the duck eggs start to pile up.
Tanya L
Jul 19, 2012 Tanya L rated it it was amazing
Some good recipes in this book to use up you fresh eggs if you are becoming overwhelmed. Gorgeous pics as well.
Michelle Atkins
Aug 17, 2012 Michelle Atkins rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Eggsellent recipes and an adorable yet very insightful guidebook on raising chickens. I hope she writes another one!
Kevin Driskill
Jun 21, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it
If you have chickens or think you might like to this is a must have book. It has great tips for getting started and a great selection of recipes for eggs.
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was ok
May 23, 2012
Stephanie Nyhof
Stephanie Nyhof rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Chastity
Chastity rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Tina Harshbarger
Tina Harshbarger rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Miss Melissa Deakin
Miss Melissa Deakin rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Kyannbarton
Mar 12, 2013 Kyannbarton rated it really liked it
Pretty good, pretty good.
Amanda Grube
Amanda Grube rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Charlis Meador
Charlis Meador rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Ardala Evans
Ardala Evans rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Catherine Anderson
Catherine Anderson rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
June Jacobs
June Jacobs rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
With several hundred thousand books and posters in print, Jennifer Trainer Thompson has written more than sixteen books, including The Fresh Egg Cookbook, Hot Sauce!, Beyond Einstein (co-authored with Michio Kaku), and Jump Up and Kiss Me: Spicy Vegetarian Cooking, among others. Nominated for three James Beard awards and dubbed the “Queen of Hot” by Associated Press, she’s recognized as a leader i ...more
More about Jennifer Trainer Thompson...