Start by marking “Junction X” as Want to Read:
Junction X

Junction X

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Set in the very English suburbia of 1962 where everyone has tidy front gardens and lace curtains, Junction X is the story of Edward Johnson, who ostensibly has the perfect life: A beautiful house, a great job, an attractive wife and two well-mannered children. The trouble is he's been lying to himself all of his life. And first love, when it does come, hits him and hits hi ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 200 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Cheyenne Publishing (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Junction X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junction X

Dark Soul Vol. 1 by Aleksandr VoinovWarrior's Cross by Madeleine UrbanVisible Friend by K.Z. SnowCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCome Unto These Yellow Sands by Josh Lanyon
Best M/M Books Covers With No Sexual Overtones
31st out of 580 books — 383 voters
Maurice by E.M. ForsterBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeGiovanni's Room by James BaldwinTales of the City by Armistead Maupin
Best Gay Fiction
178th out of 1,111 books — 1,412 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
brutally honest, and very, very brave.

for some gay men of a certain generation, this book will feel like a hug from a friend who understands.

some things are inevitable. sometimes, you only need to exist to deserve your fate.

this book could not have ended any other way.

it hurt, but it was true, and small niggles did not detract from the grim satisfaction of a reading experience alive with authenticity, and compassion, and even despair.

a remarkable novel, and one i recommend.
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️

5++ Amazing Stars!

Wow. I'm trying to digest this book in an attempt to write a review somewhat worthy of how strongly it affected me.

photo FE1AE8D6-3904-47A6-830A-8814A38EC39F_zpspk9mv0q7.gif

Edward is a 33-year old man living the life. Great job, great wife, two beautiful children, living in a quiet suburb of London. But all things aren't as they appear.

Edward's world is just sort of gray...until the new neighbors move in...including their 17-year old son Alec. His life irrevocably changes that day.

**************

This is a book about a man who falls
Ilhem
May 15, 2013 Ilhem rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who's not expecting a tragically beautiful romance
Shelves: historical, m-m
I read it finally. I inhaled it, devoured it, gobbled it up...
I’ve almost spent more time writing and rewriting this review than reading the book, so here it is before I pop a vessel!

It hurts, guys. From different angles. It is indescribably sad, yet it’s all about happiness. Unexpected, larger than life, bursting out of the page happiness. Tainted by lies, guilt and fears, too. Fleeting and ever-changing.

Junction X is a piece of ambivalent humanity with its ability to love, fear and hurt, its
Mark ~ Sinfully All Male Romance
The swinging 60s in the UK? - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Pirate Radio, Mary Quant, bell-bottoms, The Avengers, Alfred Hitchcock, hippies, Twiggy, Afros; all sounds familiar, right?

Gay in the 60s in the UK? – illegal, sexual deviant, arrest, imprisonment, behavioural therapy, aversion therapy, electric shock treatment, blackmail, hormone treatment, running scared, living a lie; still sounds familiar?

Junction X is set in 1962 in the UK and if you were gay that was your future,
Jenre
Junction X is not a romance rather it's a drama centred around a gay romance, or perhaps even an obsession. It's a perfectly nuanced morality tale with a central character who tied me up in knots and made me experience such a wealth of emotion that it will be difficult to put down in words all my feelings for him.

The story is taken from the first person point of view of Ed, who is a British middle class man in his thirties, and set in the early 1960s. He has a nice home; a good job; a reasonably
Nina
I'm pretty fucking depressed right now and really not in the mood to write a review. I'll just say that:
a. this was so good I read it in two days - 50 pages yesterday and the rest today. I was literally glued to it.
b. I was born in the 90s in Italy, where men should be machos and wives should make a baby a year - quite a different culture from the one we're dealing with here, so don't trust what I'm saying, but I felt as if this were exactly the claustrophobic atmosphere of England in the 60s.
c.
Loederkoningin
I'm not so sure anymore. Hopefully Ilhem saves the day...;p
SueC
I haven't felt this stunned at the closing of a book many times before. In fact I think it's only happened with Listening To Dust.

Similarly to LtD, nothing can prepare you for what happens here.

I can't say I felt a huge connection to the characters (except Valerie for some reason). I didn't feel for them so much as the story itself. Maybe I have a thing for tortured love... But the further I progressed with this, the harder it became to put the book down.

I'm giving it 4.5 stars for the story i
Aleksandr Voinov
Sep 07, 2012 Aleksandr Voinov added it
Shelves: own
By far my favourite of Erastes' work - I'm so glad it found a good publisher and a good cover.
Terry
Probably the most powerful book I have read all year, extremely well written, the characters carefully realised as you the reader is drawn into their story. As others have said, this book is an emotional roller coaster which has both highs and lows which does not really prepare you for the ultimate denouement. This is the story of Edward a married man living in the stockbroker belt who with help of his best friend and next door neighbour Phil finds his suppressed inner feelings start to emerge - ...more
Christy B
I knew before I started reading this that it had a tragic ending, and I braced myself for it. As I started reading, I started to figure out just how it was going to end, and I was right. So, I was prepared for it, which was good, because I probably would have fell apart.

Still, even knowing how it would end, I feel like I'm going to start sobbing over it. My heart breaks for Edward and Alex.
Cryselle
Erastes has combined several disturbing elements and made me love it. Readers who require happy endings, you are excused now. The rest of you, come over here, let me tell you about something really extraordinary.

Conformity, thy name is Edward Johnson, stockbroker, family man. Aside from a friendship with benefits with his neighbor, he's the picture of standardized suburban success. And why shouldn't he indulge? It's not like either Phil or Ed's wife will give them blowjobs, and it's really the b
Elin
This story takes m/m to a different level. In fact I'm not sure it's what most people would describe as m/m. A relationship is certainly at the heart of it but it explores all the peripherals that cluster around relationships that m/m frequently ignores. Often the two heroes exist in a vacuum but here both Edward and Alec are surrounded by people all of whom have their own agenda. Even the bit part characters one sees once are provided with enough meat to their bones for one to make a guess at s ...more
M
I almost wish I'd never read this book. Almost. But then I'd have missed the bittersweet ache of it; the agonizing, beautiful prose filled with foreshadowing and heavy with regret. It's the kind of book where, even at the start you know, you just fucking know that it cannot end well. These types of things never do. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting when I bought it, but I was thrown for a loop by the intensity of it and finished it in virtually one sitting. It tells the story of Edward ...more
Juri  Jorn
Beautiful.

Absolutely beautiful. If I didn't already have a headache from crying I would be crying more right now. It took many things I disliked, lying spouses, cheating spouses, underage lovers, but gosh, Erastes wove a beautifully bleak world for Ed and Alex.

From the very beginning, you knew Ed lost everything. From the very beginning, you knew that something dreadful was going to happen. This is a story that just broke my heart. And it will break your heart too.

I'm not going to go into deta
Lelyana

There is a stillness that happens after love. Not the hushed quiet of the deep breaths which slow in time, but a moment of perfect silence when both hearts stop and then a new breath is taken which leads to clothes and reality. The trick is to delay it.
There was no embarrassment. Well, to be honest, there was a little on my part. I had, after all, just sodomised a teenager, muttered his name into his neck as I spent myself within him.

I was shocked !

In 1962, even until today. Has anyone ever t
Rick
An amazing emotional read about the passion a repressed married man feels for the next door neighbor's son in 1962 London and its consequences. Not romance--just pure artistry and bona fide literature. Highly recommended.
M'rella
Jan 12, 2014 M'rella marked it as not-my-cup-of-book  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-1875-1990
I am a coward and I am not going to read this. There. I came out. That said, Please do not pick this book for me for any of the challenges.

I like my HEAs or at least HFNs. I am a cheerful person and wrote nothing but crack in my whole entire life. I even had my teachers laughing themselves off their chairs while reading my essay on War and Peace in high school. And no, not because of poor spelling. They gave me a C- for disrespect to the dear Mr. Lion the Fat. Granted, I was much funnier in tho
Ruth Sims
Webster defines “inexorable” as “not to be persuaded, moved, or stopped : relentless.”

I have always been drawn to books and plays with that quality. Erastes’ Junction X pulled me in from the first page. I have known for a long time that Erastes is an excellent writer, whether her protagonists are working at a forge, being tortured by a religious zealot, or any of the other trials her characters are heir to. Junction X doesn’t have the protagonist being tortured by outside forces. He is tortured
thelastaerie
Does anyone who read the premise of this story expect a happy ending? Not even in the m/m romance world, and this is more than a romance. At times it reminds me of David Leavitt's "While England Sleeps" and Scott Heim's "Mysterious Skin". True love it was, but it's a love that was punished by outside forces, by internal turmoil and was doomed even before it started.

"Junction X" is a riveting and powerful story, told from the retrospective angle of a broken man, he never told you that, but you'd
Dreamer
4.5 star. This is a superior, beautifully written m/m romance set in 1960s suburban England. This compelling story draws you in, stays with you and ultimately breaks your heart. So good, this could be an English Lit textbook. I would have given 5 stars but characters from 'The Good Life' kept playing in my head and putting me off!

33 year old married father of twins Eddie (Edward) becomes mutually infatuated with his new neighbour, 17 year old schoolboy Alec (Alex). Sadly homosexuality is still c
Danni
I'm not going to write a recount of the story in this review, partly because so many people have already said it all, and partly because reliving this story is just a one-way trip to Weepsville for me and I can't afford the therapy.

So this is just my own thoughts:

I feel as though I have been plonked into a mincer, feet first, while Erastes has slowly turned the handle, reducing me to a wobbly pile of goo, which can never, never, however hard I try, be moulded back into quite the same person I wa
Anne Freya

Karena ini genre-nya tragedi, aku sudah tahu kalau ini akhirnya bakal sedih dan sudah menyiapkan diri. Tapi tetap saja tanggul air mataku jebol saat melihat akhir cinta mereka.
Sesungguhnya sampai sekitar 70-85% ini aku merasa ceritanya hanya layak mendapat 4 stars, tapi karena ending-nya begitu, jadinya kubulatkan jadi 5 stars deh.

Edward yang berusia 33 tahun ini jatuh cinta pada Alex yang berusia 17 tahun, anak tunggal tetangga sebelah rumah yang baru pindah. Edward sudah punya istri y
Silkeeeeee
I found myself skimming most of this. Never connected to the MCs. One of those books that is so verbose about surroundings and insignificant things that you never engage. It should have been sad or shocking, not skimmed and rush to get to the end just so you can get to the next book.
K.Z. Snow
I'm well into this astonishing book, and I'm beginning to fear going further. But I can't look away.

Will write more when I'm finished with it.

* * *

My God.

Confessing I had to stay in the bedroom after I finished a book, because I didn't want my unemotional partner to see how distraught it left me, is the highest accolade I can give. I mourn for Edward but I ache for Alex. And I will for days.

This book will haunt me.

How adroitly Erastes sketches and shades all the tangled, terrible inevitabiliti
Suki Fleet
Stunningly beautiful and I am devastated. Utterly, utterly devastated by this book. I knew I would be. I also know I can't write a review to adequately describe how I feel. But if you like to be affected deeply by stories all I can say is READ THIS.
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~
A touching, tragic love story.

Ed/Eddie becomes Edward with Alex (Alec/Alexander), so many lies, so many things left unsaid. Heartbreaking but there was joy and happiness for a very short time. Every character is a victim of this time and place in history - 1962.

The writing is beautiful and the sex is not explicit and surprisingly, I didn't miss it.

This one is going to stick with me for a while so I may be back to add/clarify thoughts.
Alice

(view spoiler)
Chris Beatty
Whew!! I felt the weight of Edward's aloneness building from chapter-to-chapter. The heavy imprint of his secrets causing his life to unravel was agonizing. It is a departure from Erastes' typical Historical novel, but very well done!! I enjoyed it immensely!!
Phil's role in the relationship between Alex & Edward 2 28 Mar 14, 2012 02:09AM
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
  • Fog: A Novel of Desire and Reprisal
  • The Only Gold
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Listening To Dust
  • Think of England
  • False Colors
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • No Beginning, No End (Stockholm Syndrome, #3)
  • Every Time I Think of You
  • The Boy I Love (The Boy I Love Trilogy, #1)
  • Scrap Metal
  • The Celestial
Born in Essex, England in 1959, Erastes attended Southend High School for Girls.

Erastes is the penname of a female author who lives in Norfolk, UK. She drew her inspiration to write historical fiction from works such as Gaywyck by Vincent Virga and the novels of Mary Renault. Erastes was the Director of the Erotic Authors Association for two years and is an active member of the Historical Novel So
More about Erastes...