Start by marking “The William Faulkner Audio Collection” as Want to Read:
The William Faulkner Audio Collection

The William Faulkner Audio Collection

William Faulkner never stood taller than five feet, six inches, but in the realm of American literature, he is a giant. More than simply a renowned Mississippi writer, the Nobel-Prize winning novelist and short story writer is acclaimed throughout the world as one of the twentieth century's greatest writers, one who transformed his "postage stamp" of native soil into an ap ...more
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published July 8th 2003 by Caedmon (first published July 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The William Faulkner Audio Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The William Faulkner Audio Collection

Jason Koivu
Mar 12, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing
William Faulkner consistently delivered the sound and the fury of a prose so powerful, yet subtle, frugal on the one hand and almost extravagant on the other. Like Hitchcock's alluding, don't-show-all style, he gives you snippets of dialogue, flashes of images, and dosed emotion. Much of his most artistic and critically acclaimed work is that in which the narration is seen through the eyes of a child, churning through a story with the simplicity of childhood and all its wild snippets of understa ...more
Alonzo
Apr 22, 2013 Alonzo rated it really liked it
Excellent readings of great stories. Just wanted to fill in some of the gaps in my Faulkner reading. Spotted Horses was the longest story here, and it was not disappointing. As it usually does, "A Rose for Emily" gave me the creeps. What a fantastic, creepy, weird story.

Faulkner is one of my favorite writers; that's not to say that I always like his content or his word choice, but that's neither here nor there, in my opinion. The man could write, stringing sentences together out of that not long
James G.
Oct 21, 2015 James G. rated it liked it
Enjoying the ride, and the language, but its a mixed bag overall in the performances. Carradine's delivery of the novella "Spotted Horses" is breathlessly terrific! Debra Winger just doesn't do it for me, and the Faulkner himself is kinda indecipherable. The readings from "That Evening Sun" ruin the story for its honestly racist interpretation. Still, I listened for love of the story. But, even if Faulkner was a matter-of-fact racist, of-his-age and sublime in his interpretations of the struggle ...more
May 31, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t_finish, 2012
This audio collection starts out with Faulkner reading his Nobel acceptance speech and it set the tone for the stories so beautifully. "The poet’s voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail." I liked Debra Winger's readings and I loved Arliss Howard's performances, but I had trouble following Keith Carradine's and I'm not sure if it was his reading style or the story. Faulkner reads excerpts from stories too, and while his v ...more
Bill Williams
May 30, 2016 Bill Williams rated it really liked it
William Faulkner won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction twice and the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1949. The short stories in this collection are a fine representation of the heart of his work, the portrait of a specific time and place.

In this audio collection Debra Winger, Keith Carradine and Arliss Howard passionately read stories of aching loss and the ongoing reconstruction of lives after men came home from the Civil War.

The collection also has Faulkner's 1949 Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech.
Sally
Dec 22, 2015 Sally rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Disappointing. This was a collection of short stories, including A Rose for Emily,
That Evening Sun,
Spotted Horses,
Barn Burning and Wash.
It seemed clear he was a racist & I do not care for his writing style or content.

And excerpts from As I Lay Dying, A Fable and Old Man, read by Faulker. He should've have allowed these to be read by others, as he did them NO justice. It was unclear to me, where 1 finished & another 1 ended. Overall lousy.

I would be interested in trying 1 more w/ a
Grace
Feb 04, 2017 Grace rated it it was ok
Faulkner is not my guy, for Southern writers I prefer Rick Bragg
Kathie H
Apr 29, 2008 Kathie H rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
Hearing William Faulkner's voice was moving. Debra Winger, Arliss Howard & Keith Carradine read some of Faulkner's more famous short stories in an engaging way that I found touching. I think Faulkner was otherworldly; maybe he was really from another planet. I find everything I've ever read of his to be unforgettable.
Doug Baird
Wonderful writing and great stories. Listened to the audio version and although it's great to hear Faulkner's soft southern accent on a few of the shorter pieces, he was not really a very good reader and I got a lot more from the pros who read the bulk of the discs.
Well worth listening to, even if you have already read the stories in print.
Sharon
Feb 03, 2017 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I listened to the audio collection. Debra Winger and Keith Carradine were merely readlng the stories. William Faulkner is a gifted writer and it is interesting to hear his voice as he reads. The real star of this audio collection is Arliss Howard. He has a wonderful voice and his performance is magnificent.
Marsha
Oct 06, 2012 Marsha rated it really liked it
Loved it! Makes me want to read more Faulkner. The excerpts read by him were a bit hard -- he is not a great reader -- but nevertheless interesting to hear them in his voice.
Russ Turpin
Feb 11, 2009 Russ Turpin rated it it was amazing
The best part: Faulkner reading his Nobel Prize acceptance speech nonchalantly.

A close second: Debra Winger reading "A Rose for Emily"
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Marsha
Marsha rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Jenny Starling
Jenny Starling rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Marianne Evans
Marianne Evans rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Bob German
Bob German rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Jason Mullin
Jason Mullin rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Michele Giovanni
Michele Giovanni rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2009
Ryan Lucchesi
Ryan Lucchesi rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Greg Flakus
Greg Flakus rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Sfc Daniel
Sfc Daniel rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Anne Neeb
Anne Neeb rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2012
barbara b
barbara b rated it really liked it
May 13, 2007
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Dennis Zachman
Dennis Zachman rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...