Start by marking “Garbage Pail Kids” as Want to Read:
Garbage Pail Kids

Garbage Pail Kids

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Garbage Pail Kids—a series of collectible stickers produced by Topps in the 1980s—combined spectacular artwork and over-the-top satire. The result was an inspired collaboration between avant-garde cartoonists and humorists including Art Spiegelman, Mark Newgarden, John Pound, Tom Bunk, and Jay Lynch. A new generation of fans continues to embrace this pop-culture phenomenon ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Abrams ComicArts

To ask other readers questions about Garbage Pail Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garbage Pail Kids

Paul  Hankins
ABRAMS has done a fantastic job of packaging this retrospective look at the 1985-1986 of these cards that came under fire from the creators of Cabbage Patch Kids for their realistic--or rather surrealistic--depiction of the popular dolls in "gross-out" configurations and depictions.

My friend, Aaron Boggs, who teaches Physics at our school and usually has his ear to the ground for these kinds of reading materials, brought this book to my attention with an email that simply read, "Can you believe
From my comments on "Wacky Packages": "Would it have killed Topps to include any sort of annotations to "[Garbage Pail Kids]?" Preliminary sketches, anecdotes, comparisons with real products, et al would have been much appreciated. The perfunctory foreword and afterword provide the only sort of context. Fansites already have all of the images, plus many of these extras. Superfluous."
Apr 12, 2013 Jessi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children of the 80s who collected Garbage Pail Kids
This book offered a delightful nostalgic glimpse to my childhood. I remember collecting GPKs, trading cards with friends, and trying to gross out my parents with the pictures. I didn't remember many names of the GPKs but I definitely recalled many of the pictures as I paged through this book. I also enjoyed the Introduction from one of the creative minds behind GPKs and the Afterword by the artist who came up with the original, overall "look" of the GPKs.

I learned that 15 series of cards were ma
Darren Hartwell
This review first appeared on The Book Zone(For Boys) blog

If you are an adult who was 10 years old or above in 1985 then you don't need me to explain exactly who the Garbage Pail Kids were. If you are a teen or younger, and you have a devilish and macabre (some may say sick) sense of humour, then you have one hell of a treat in store for you with this book.

The Garbage Pail Kids originally appeared as a series of collector stickers, the first series of which appeared in 1985. Money was tight in t
Brent Ritchey
My parents would not let me buy Garbage Pail Kids stickers when I was growing up. Consequently, I was fascinated by them. Anything my parents didn't want me to have GPK, Big League Chew, Stephen King books must've been really amazing. I saw this book featured on TV last week and knew I had to have it, if for no other reason than to gratify the child-of-the-80s in me who lusted after these sticker cards from afar.[return][return]Garbage Pail Kids was a spoof of the Cabbage Patch kids produced b ...more
The afterword, by John Pound is very interesting, giving a brief description of the development of ideas, art work and impact the cards had in the '80's.

Having said that however, examples of early, developing art work would have made the book much more engaging....

Asit stand it's just a colection of all the cards that were printed....Good to see but....not enough...
If you're from Johnstown (specifically Hornerstown) you'll get the reference: I used to love running up to L&D Candies after school at Meadowvale to packs of these. And that was when the store was just like a small house before they opened up the main addition. Great trip down memory lane!
Brian Slivka
This book features stunning full-page illustrations of classic Garbage Pail Kids cards from Topps' Series 1 through 3. There is interesting foreward and afterword by Art Spiegelman and John Pound, respectively, but I would have liked to hear from all of the artists and designers in more detail. Also, while the card art looks great, why no rough card art or sketches (John Pound has them all over his site, so they do exist)? The book is pretty much something you can see at one of many GPK fan site ...more
I love GPK cards as a kid, but it was rare that I actually got to buy any because my parents kept me to buying sports cards and comic books. These were a treat that I traded baseball cards with my friends for (ahh, the good ol' days). It was great seeing these cards again, but I was hoping for more behind-the-scenes information, which you just don't get. It may have also been interesting to get some commentary on each of the cards, but instead you just get the bare bones of the cards reprinted f ...more
Fantastic visual history of an 80's pop culture staple! An extremely enjoyable trip down memory lane, including the history of how they came to fruition, which only added to my appreciation of the art and creativity. More surprisingly, I somehow remembered every single one of these nostalgia-inducing trading cards. Funny to think how these were banned from school back in their heyday, until you notice some of the racier ones, which would never fly in today's schools.
Amar Pai
Doesn't have the backs of the cards. Very disappointing.

I guess what I really want is my old Garbage Pail Kids cards back. I had a ton in elementary school -- I remember there being a very active schoolyard market for them, everyone was always trading-- but then one day, my mom threw all mine away! Such a travesty of injustice
I collected these stickers as a kid, but had forgotten just how twisted they were; really fun, weird stuff. This reissue in book form is very well done, from the toxic 80's pink dust jacket on through.
Rules!!! Awesome and much easier than buying all the cards again. Made me feel like I was back in Middle School.
I miss these guys.....and it had collectible stickers.....I love Hole in!!!
Trip down memory lane. I was surprised by how many of the cards I actually remembered.
A great trip down memory lane for those who used to collect them (like I did!!)
Could have used more history and what not, but a pretty solid book.
Abraham Ray
not the best book I have ever read in my opinion.
Awesome! And totally worth $15 from Amazon.
Brian Nichols
Brings back a lot of good memories!
An awesome trip down memory lane...
yeahhhh siccckkkK!
Love it!
Alpha marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
  • Mars Attacks
  • The Great American Cereal Book: From Apple Jacks to Wheaties
  • Yiddish with Dick and Jane
  • Pranks
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 1
  • Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters: Defending the Earth with Ultraman, Godzilla in the Golden Age of Japanese Science Fiction Film
  • The Sick Rose: Disease and the Art of Medical Illustration
  • The Book of Shrigley
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics
  • The Kill Bill Diary
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • Image on the Edge: The Margins of Medieval Art
  • Cinema Sewer, Vol. 1
  • Inside North Korea
  • The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)
  • Part Asian, 100% Hapa
  • Different Dances
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.
More about Art Spiegelman...