Start by marking “The Harbor” as Want to Read:
The Harbor

The Harbor

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  11 reviews
pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. -You chump, - I thought contemptuously. I was seven years old at the time, and the gentleman to whom I referred was Henry Ward Beecher. What it was that aroused my contempt for the man will be more fully understood if I tell first of the grudge that I bore him
Published December 2nd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harbor

Drew
I ran across a review of The Harbor that said it was one of the few accessible novels of protest fiction, up there with the Grapes of Wrath. Tying it to my second favorite Steinbeck novel was a good reason for me to grab this book. [In Dubious Battle is my favorite Steinbeck work.] The Harbor is a long book, coming in at almost 400 pages on my Kindle, but it is worth the effort, and the flow is effortless.

The book chronicles the life of the narrator, Bill, who grew up in Brooklyn, overlooking th
Dave
“The Harbor” is Ernest Poole’s best known work, although his later work, “His Family”, would be the first novel to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1918. “The Harbor was published in 1915, and the novel is among the first, if not the first, to present labor unions in a positive light. Though certainly a gritty novel for its time, I would not doubt that many readers today might find it rather tame. Ernest Poole clearly had sympathy for socialist causes, and this can be found in much of his work.

The nove
Tony
THE HARBOR. (1915). Ernest Poole. ****.
Ernest Poole (1880-1950) was born and raised in Chicago, and was a journalist in the early days of his career. He was a member of the muck-raking school, writing articles on a variety of industrial injustices imposed on the average working man. His Socialist leanings took him to all parts of the world, including Russia, where he worked with John Reed on several articles. After a slow start, he finally emerged as a successful novelist with the publication o
Eric Heff
I was assigned this book as part of a Modernist literature class at the University of Akron and I was quite surprised on how much I liked it. Many assigned novels are usually interesting but I wouldn't say that I read them for pleasure. This book was different and I enjoyed it a lot. Especially the first 2 sections of the book. There are many great scenes in the second half of the book but I think the first half was written much better.
Billy wants to be a writer and to be a good writer he feels
Andres
It took a while for the book to really get going, it was not until the last quarter of the book that it really began to incite my passion for reading about stuff like this. I think "The Jungle" by Sinclair spoiled this genre for me; it is an absolute masterpiece of early 20th century "socialist" literature from page one till the end. But leaving "Jungle" aside, "The Harbor" stands out as more of an autobiography than a "muckraking" novel.
Kathleen Hulser
Gung-ho fresh-faced boy wanders New York harbor, starting from his boyhood forays down Brooklyn Heights. Determined to find authentic heart of American experience in industrial metropolis and sooty harbor. Full of turn-of-the century labor radicalism, written by a journalist who participated in Patterson Silk Strike Pageant and befriended Bill Haywood, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn and John Reed. This is less the tracery of cables pinning the Brooklyn Bridge to East River shores and more a close-up of ...more
Andrew
The first book by Poole, he won a Pulitzer Prize for his second book, but critics generally think this was the better book. It follows the development of a harbor area in NYC, through the character as a child, a young man, and then a grown man. It essentially traces the industrialization of the US and the way that international trade changed US economic relations. It also traces the rise of unions in the US, which I enjoyed. Good book!
Cooper Renner
98-year-old novel about a young man's growing up alongside the NY harbor and gradually moving from sympathy for the movers and shakers to sympathy for the stokers, dockers, and "little men" who suffer for little pay. A "Socialist" novel, which ought to be better known. It is also almost a kind of metafiction or postmodern work, as the book becomes by its end the book its narrator has decided to write.
Jack Goodstein
Socialist muckraking in which the hero (Billy, no last name) tells the story of his growth from believer in art, to believer in capitalism, to a belliever in the revolution of the workers. Valuable more as a social document than as a significant work of literature.
Leanna Kowallis
Leanna Kowallis marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Nishath Imthiyaz
Nishath Imthiyaz marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Gareth McCartney
Gareth McCartney marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Arbaz Khan
Arbaz Khan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Scott Weeks
Scott Weeks marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ernest Poole graduated from Princeton University in 1902. He worked as a journalist and was active in promoting social reforms including the ending of child labor He was a correspondent for the Saturday Evening Post in Europe before and during World War I.

His novel The Harbor (1915) is the work for which he is known best.It is set largely among the proletariat of the industrial Brooklyn waterfron
More about Ernest Poole...
His Family His Second Wife (Dodo Press) Beggars' Gold The Nancy Flyer: A Stagecoach Epic The Village - Russian Impressions