Start by marking “Exemplary Stories (Paperback)” as Want to Read:
Exemplary Stories (Paperback)

Exemplary Stories (Paperback)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  898 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Composed throughout Cervantes's writing life and mentioned in Don Quixote, his Exemplary Stories are among the first and finest Spanish short stories: ranging from traditional tales of love to incisive moral fables. In The Little Gipsy Girl, an Italianate romance, the nomadic life is idealised through a love affair between the beautiful Preciosa and a nobleman who agrees t ...more
Published November 28th 1985 by Penguin Classics (first published 1613)

To ask other readers questions about Exemplary Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exemplary Stories

Manuel Alfonseca
Jan 16, 2016 Manuel Alfonseca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent set of twelve short novels. I liked most "La señora Cornelia" and least "La fuerza de la sangre".
Vi MacDonald
It would appear that there is a reason people only remember this guy for Don Quixote...
Joanie
Yet another book I had to read in Spanish when I was in college. I took a semester long course called "Novelas Ejemplares" (the name in Spanish) and that's all we read. I really don't rememeber one detail of one story-how sad! I'm giving it three stars to be fair since I don't think I hated it, but who knows!
Manuel Alfonseca
Excelente conjunto de 12 novelas cortas. Mi preferida es "La señora Cornelia", y la que menos me gustó "La fuerza de la sangre".
Guillermo Jiménez
Una muy buena colección de historias morales -casi fábulas, pero con personas de carne y hueso-, bien ancladas en los usos y costumbres de la España del siglo XVII cuando fueron publicadas. Lo transporta a uno al pasado de una manera genial, y es una muestra de lo que en ese tiempo se consideraban como los mayores valores a seguir (o a evitar) y las mejores maneras de ser, siempre con la perspectiva innegablemente humana de Cervantes.

Eso sí, me costó muchísimo trabajo terminarlo (¿Año y siete me
Aran
Jul 25, 2009 Aran rated it did not like it
So, out of boredom, I grabbed this unread book off of my shelf and puttered through it for a while. The translation seemed a little stilted and awkward, but hey, whatevs. Then, I got to the story "The Glass Graduate", a story that had been recommended to me (well over a year ago by a friend). And then I quit, because I remembered a)what the story was about b) why the story had come up in conversation and c) why, when I left SF, I didn't go out of my way to stay in contact w/ that friend.

In shor
Simon Wood
Feb 04, 2014 Simon Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNLIKELY TALES

Miguel Cervantes collection of short stories translated by Lesley Lipson are well recommended. The stories are exemplary in the sense that they are meant to be a good example for the reader as well as edifying and educational though I suspect Cervantes, a mischievous writer if there ever was one, has his tongue firmly in his cheek when he named them.

The stories are not quite as brilliant as "Don Quixote"; though they are earthy, lively, bawdy and deal with the day to day reality o
khashayar
Being able to read the Cervantine corpus in its original language is; by and large, one very good reason to learn Spanish. In his exemplary novels, Cervantes proclaims that he is the first Castilian novelist and he proves to be a good one. Although the very concept of novellas and short stories seems to be rather modern, there you have a couple of catching short stories set in the early 17 century and fraught with as picaresque protagonists as Cervantes himself. I can imagine that I'd much more ...more
Natasha
Oct 25, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the book in its whole, I just read "The Power of Blood" for high school and it was incredible. I put 4 stars because of the fact that the story is a little bit repetitive and also dramatic.
I look forward to read the other stories.
Paula Martín
Jan 30, 2016 Paula Martín rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-bach
En este libro se recogen algunas de las novelas más importantes de Miguel de Cervantes.

Personalmente, ninguna de ellas me gustó, se me hicieron largas, pesadas, repetitivas y difíciles de entender.
Miguel Soto
Comencé a leer estas novelas ejemplares con la intención de aumentar mi acervo Cervantino. Sin embargo, de lo que ya leí de Cervantes, me quedo con el Quijote y con los entremeses. La estructura de todos estos relatos es similar, aunque las variantes que ofrece nos permiten acceder a cierto conocimiento de la época (más o menos fantaseado), sus gentes y sus giros.

Tienen el gran mérito de ser las primeras novelas en lengua española, además de contar con un magistral retrato de Cervantes a manera
Omar BaRass
Apr 23, 2016 Omar BaRass rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب آخر يوقعك في ورطة اقتناءه نظرًا لاسم كاتبه المشهور. إلى أن تتبين أن محتواه عادي جدًا جدًا !
Carl Tubridy
Dec 28, 2013 Carl Tubridy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, spanish
I understand that the novel-writing was in its infancy when Cervantes lived, but these novellas are repetitive and unbelievable. I can only read so many stories about the most woman that anybody has every seen or commoners of uncommon virtue who turn out to be kidnapped noble children before I grow bored. Some of the novels that break away from that mold are quite interesting though. In particular Doctor Glasscase and The Dialogue Between Scipio and Berganze are interested.
Ádria
Jan 13, 2015 Ádria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es difícil poner una puntuación a este tipo de libros. Algunad novelas me han gustado mucho y otras me han dejado indiferente.
Geoffrey
May 14, 2014 Geoffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even going to try to maintain some kind of historical perspective: "The Little Gipsy Girl" is surprisingly okay, but for the most part, I kind of hated these. The love stories are banal in the extreme, the satire is flat, and several of them have rapes whose perpetrators are portrayed sympathetically ("The Force of Blood" is bad, but "The Illustrious Scullery-Maid" is the worst in this regard; truly horrifying). Also, some pretty intense racism. It's honestly hard to believe that these a ...more
Evan
Jan 05, 2016 Evan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very much a product of its position in literary history, and is difficult to enjoy as anything other than a revealing historical artifact if you are interested in literature of this period. If you go in expecting Don Quixote, the brilliance of which almost seems to be barely able to be contained to its pages by its author, you will be disappointed. While there are moments of great skill in the stories, they are very much contained and constrained by their form and context.
M.
Nov 23, 2015 M. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
to-read
Loreto
Jul 04, 2014 Loreto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cervantes, es ÉL hombre, y con eso basta y sobra.
Travel_by_book
Aug 18, 2016 Travel_by_book rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
¡Por fin soy libre! ¡Por fin he acabado de leer este coñazo de libro!
Admitiré (aunque solo bajo tortura) que me lo he pasado bien en ALGUNAS ocasiones, pero no puedo decir que me haya merecido la pena. Llevo tres horas encerrada leyendo la última historia y respondiendo preguntas.
Creo que lo quemaría si no fuera por el hecho de que eso no va conmigo
Nella Fantasia
May 15, 2013 Nella Fantasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He leído dos: "El celoso extremeño" y "La española inglesa". Ambas novelas cortas son muy fáciles de leer y comprender, rápidas y cortas, y muy entretenidas. Muy muy recomendadas, la verdad es que son geniales. De lo mejorcito de la prosa del siglo XVII, probablemente lo más entretenido ;)

Cerebro92
Jan 15, 2009 Cerebro92 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novelas Ejemplares es un libro que recopila gran variedad de obras de Cervantes, entre las que se encuentran: El licenciado Vidriera, La Gitanilla, Rinconete y Cortadillo, La fuerza de la Sangre, El Amante liberal, entre otros. Un libro clásico de la literatura española, muy recomendado y os aseguro, te encantará leerlo.
Maria Jose D.
Este ha sido mi primer contacto con Cervantes y solo puedo decir que ha sido un placer. Las historias son originales y entretenidas (muchas veces cómicas) atemporales para cualquier tiempo. Si quieres leer algo del ilustrísimo Cervantes y "El Quijote" es demasiado denso para ti, este es tu libro.
Jan-Maat
Read some years ago. My abiding memory is that the stories were very different in tone and seemed to express a different outlook on the world than Don Quixote.
Marieu
Oct 19, 2008 Marieu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is 'El Quijote' a book to read for need of culture, but his short stories are truly the work of a man who knew how to hook his readership and make them feel moved when finishing each one of them.
Adela
Oct 05, 2007 Adela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that though these are not his most famous work, they are more amusing than Don Quixote. They have a little of the didactical or moral element, like an Aesop fable, but reveal truths in funny ways.
Luis Fernández
Well is not a bad book and It's the first one by Cervantes I've been able to finish. Once you get used to the ancient language. Consider also stories are always about love and always end well.
Francisco
Narrativamente bien estructuradas, pero esquemáticas en cuanto a la acción. Funcionan como "ejemplos", recriminando actitudes y modos de la época en que se escribieron con cierta carga moral.
Amy
Mar 14, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I read it because it was a classic and I wanted to know what all the references were about. I did enjoy Don's adventures but could have done without some of the in-between parts.
Paul Anderson
Feb 26, 2010 Paul Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic reads. These short stories are emblematic examples of the early development of the novel. Heroic Romance versus Realism, and the picaresque.
Nasbly Kalinina
Apr 19, 2014 Nasbly Kalinina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Gitanilla es una de las historias que más me gustó y creo que de ella fue que Delia Fiallo se inspiró para escribir Kassandra.
  • Misericordia
  • El burlador de Sevilla
  • Soledades
  • Historia de la vida del Buscón
  • The Expulsion of the Triumphant Beast
  • Coplas a la muerte de su padre
  • Libro de Buen Amor
  • Campos de Castilla
  • Platero y yo
  • Los pazos de Ulloa
  • La vida del lazarillo de Tormes
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra was a Spanish novelist, poet, and playwright. His novel Don Quixote is often considered his magnum opus, as well as the first modern novel.

It is assumed that Miguel de Cervantes was born in Alcalá de Henares. His father was Rodrigo de Cervantes, a surgeon of cordoban descent. Little is known of his mother Leonor de Cortinas, except that she was a native of Arganda del
More about Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra...

“Știu bine că esti un Tantal în învățături, pentru că îți scapă, de înalte ce sunt, și nu le-ajungi, de adânci.” 0 likes