Start by marking “Monkey's Friends” as Want to Read:
Monkey's Friends

Monkey's Friends

Monkey is going for a walk. Along the way he meets some friends. Can you guess who he will meet next? There might be some clues in the pictures!
Published February 3rd 2011 by Andersen

To ask other readers questions about Monkey's Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey's Friends

midnightfaerie
Sep 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
There is just something about Ruth Brown's illustrations that I absolutely love. Dark, kind of creepy...flowing water colors...I'm just not sure, but this is always my favorite part of her books. For my kids, they loved the lift flaps in this one. The animal always just partly hidden, it was fun to guess just what animal it was. My 5 yr old and 3 yr old twins both got a kick out of this one.
Barbara
Apr 17, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
In rhyming text, a monkey travels through the jungle, meeting plenty of friends along the way. The right-hand pages have flaps that, once lifted, reveal the animal he is encountering, no longer hidden in the leaves. Children will love lifting those flaps so they can see a kangaroo, an elephant, a crocodile, and more. This title would be most useful shared in small groups or maybe one on one so the readers can examine the brightly-hued and intricate illustrations closely. I liked how all the ...more
Laura McLoughlin
The kids enjoyed this one more than I did, but they are the target audience. Some of the rhymes are very forced (chameleon and fun, for example) and I'm pretty sure that those animals do not live in the same place, this bothered me more than it really should have. But the kids enjoyed guessing what animal the monkey was saying hello to, so there is that.
Kate Hastings
Apr 19, 2012 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Ages 3-6. Great for Jungle/Safari storytime. Monkey walks through the forest and meets other animals. little flaps reveal the next animal, and a hint is given in the form of a rhyme and pieces or parts of the animal hidden in the shrubbery. Good for early literacy skills. Only downside-- the pictures are a little too busy, and it may be hard for children to see in a storytime setting.
Kelli
Monkey goes for a walk, greeting other animals he meets. The rhyming lines set up the lift-the-flap reveal of the hidden friend. Simple and fun, appropriate for toddlers. Illustrations are a bit busy, but still works.
Dustie
Oct 26, 2012 Dustie rated it it was amazing
pb30: This book is a really cute friendship book. Kids will enjoy trying to guess who the monkey's next friend will be.
Dana
Dec 26, 2014 Dana rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Simple and straightforward. I thought Maisie would like it, especially the hide-and-seek nature of the animals, but it just wasn't a hit in our household.
Leah
Jul 29, 2016 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens_books
Intricately illustrated story, with simple storyline. Illustrations better suited to sharing one-on-one than to a group in storytime.
Carter Harrison
Nov 05, 2014 Carter Harrison rated it it was amazing
We really liked the pictures and liked to guess what the animals were that were hidden behind each flap!
Hana Curry
Hana Curry rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2013
paeonia
paeonia rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Mbrooke
Mbrooke rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2012
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Marilyn Pohlmeier
Sep 25, 2012 Marilyn Pohlmeier rated it really liked it
The kids had fun guessing what animal is next!
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Helene Clarke
Helene Clarke rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Chester
Chester rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Emily Cunningham
Emily Cunningham rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Lisa Froehlich
Lisa Froehlich rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Lori
Oct 30, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Great for preschoolers. Use the pictures to predict which friend monkey will see next.
Bibliofiendlm
Bibliofiendlm rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2013
Claire
Apr 25, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
Great for sharing
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Lauren Stoolfire
Lauren Stoolfire rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Ruth Brown is the creator of some of Britain's best loved children's books. She has created a great many picture books for Andersen Press and is highly respected as an author and illustrator. She is married to artist Ken Brown and they have two grown-up sons and one grandchild.
More about Ruth Brown...