Start by marking “Behind the Tears (Behind the Lives, #2)” as Want to Read:
Behind the Tears (Behind the Lives, #2)

Behind the Tears (Behind the Lives #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  62 reviews
To trust is to get hurt, to be loved could end in death.

Everyone sees Ash as the toughest of the Rata brothers, the tall, tattooed man who is untouchable. But not many know of his past, of a tormented youth, which almost saw him take his own life. For ten years he's lived with the nightmares of his stepfather raping him, and how it destroyed his family. Further tormented b
Published December 24th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Tears

Captive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsComfort Food by Kitty ThomasSeduced in the Dark by C.J. RobertsSlave by Sherri HayesThe Riding School by C.P. Mandara
BDSM Slave-Captive Stories
123rd out of 263 books — 692 voters
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Secret People by John WyndhamThe Man Who Sold the Moon by Robert A. HeinleinOdd John by Olaf StapledonZombie Raccoons & Killer Bunnies by Martin H. Greenberg
Worst Cover Art
139th out of 311 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
4 STARS out of 5
Genre: NA-Dark Romance

Dark, Gritty and Twisted... Just a few words to describe this book if you have not read book one.. READ IT!

Words couldn’t describe how Ash felt— not a cliché but reality.
Anger...
Hurt...
Betrayal...
... they weren’t enough. Pure rage was closer to the mark.

Betrayal places one Rata brother against the other but at a time like this they have no choice but to trust one another for both their lives depend on it.

Secrets..
Ash Rata and his youn
Chippy *Moves Like Jagger* Marco
As of Tuesday the 28th of May: I've just finished reading this book for the second time, and there's no need to change my first review, because I still LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my favourite series.

__________________________________________________________________

I AM GOING TO READ THIS AGAIN FOR THE PNRed OUT GROUP BOOK SELECTION!!! I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SEQUEL COMING OUT IN JUNE!!! BRING IT ON, YEAHHHH, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

______________________________________________
JaHy♕ Bitchy  Goddess ♥'s  everything CrAzY  ☿
Jan 01, 2014 JaHy♕ Bitchy Goddess ♥'s everything CrAzY ☿ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE AND ANYONE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT
Recommended to JaHy♕ Bitchy Goddess ♥'s everything CrAzY ☿ by: Chippy *Moves Like Jagger* Marco
**5 STARS AND 3 MORE NAMES TO ADD TO MY BROKEN MAN OBSESSION LIST**

If given one word to best describe “Behind the Tears” I’d have to say FIREWORKS. This spectator had no idea what to expect. Once I heard the hiss..sssssssss sound I anxiously held my breath and .......... **BOOM**…....... folks be prepared, this isn’t your 20 seconds firework display, Mrs.Hansen spared no expense in making sure her readers were entertained, its one explosive storyline after another.

This is a story of the 4 Rata s
Cap'n Heather.....Aarrrrrrr
5-I-Love-Marita-Stars

I must say, I am in awe of you Marita. Fan-freaking-tastic job!

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I have had this book on my Kindle for a few months. I was hesitant to read it....but I am very glad that I stalked Jahy and Harlen's updates. So thank you skanks!
Alright....so here we go...

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The Rata Clan....a family broken, trying to get by with the shit that has been dealt to them. And what shit it is!

Ash, the oldest, has been to hell and back. After suff
Jen
Well I certainly enjoyed my time going back to "the Hood," as I like to call it! Marita A. Hansen did not disappoint when she wrote this gem, which was once again full of drama, secrets, and reveals. There was plenty of action to keep me on my toes, and plenty of characters that were causing all sorts of entertainment that kept me interested in what was going on. The only thing I was disappointed about was that Mikey was no where to be found. I fell in love with him in the first book, and I was ...more
Elaine
5 Realistic and Raw Gritty Stars

Behind the Tears is a very realistic story of a young family living in New Zealand. Ash and Dante and Sledge are brothers, broken by events that happened 10 years ago. Events that have then gone on to drag them into the seedy world of gangs, drugs and violence.
 photo 6bd009a84e5fa37ad0e90c2ebde3c064_zps9e25e31d.jpg
Ash is estranged from his girfriend Tiana and his son Angelo who he still loves. Now with Beth, he is keeping things from her. Things he doesn't want to remember. Beth wants to help him but his constant rej
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
*****5 Beautiful Mindblowing Stars*****

Marita did it again!! I didn't think she would be able to top her book "Behind the Hood" but yet again - she has blown me away.

Her style of writing just top any of the other authors out there when dealing with a YA audience. Hell, I'm in my 40's and I still am addicted to this series!

She is able to get my heart pounding throughout the whole book while crying, sobbing, grinning, head shaking and the list just goes on and on.....

You would NEVER know that thes
Menna
5 amazing unique freakin' intense stars!

HOLY SHIT! This book is like riding a roller coaster. You just go in blindly and then....*BOOM*.....lots of things happening everywhere to everyone, Everything is just exploding in your face , you don't even have time to let the breath you are holding out!!
It's sooo intense,raw, suspenseful ,unexpected, new (for me), brilliantly written.....it's just a MASTER PIECE!!

This book centers around the Rata brothers, their relation with each other.
They fought, tor
Just My Bucking Book Blog

Soooo... this is me right now because it's Christmas Eve and I'm reading this book.

description

This is also me each time I look at the cover.

****

S T O P
This review contains spoilers so don't read on if you haven't read the book yet, I'll fuck it up for you otherwise.

Stop scrolling, seriously it will ruin the entire story....

Okay, you have been warned enough, read on!

24/12/2012

I read this book within three hours and for the life of me I could not put it down, this series is like crack, so damn addicting. I f
Rosanna
Oct 08, 2013 Rosanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Absolutely fantastic!
I'm complete obsessed with this series. These books are just so raw. I love the multiple POV's in the stories and how they all tie in together perfectly.

This series is fast paced and jam packed full of drama, violence, sex and POV changes, which won't appeal to everyone so.... You've been warned.

Even though you can safely start this series from book two. I would recommend starting from book one which was amazing.
Lucy
Loved this! I have a new favorite couple in Sledge and Corey! Plus a new book boyfriend in Dante....damn he is hot! I liked all the main characters except for Beth, I didn't like her much. I'm immediately starting the next book....totally addicted now.
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
I'm Done. I'm Emotionally Exhausted and Whipped!! This book is one hell of a rollercoaster.

The story centers around "The Rata Family" living in a South Auckland neighbourhood where drink, drugs sex and violence is a way of life.

Ash the eldest of the Rata brother's crushed by events that happened 10 years ago after he was brutally raped by his stepfather. Trying to move on with his life and also with the added factor his first love walked out on him. Ash moves forward into a new relationship wit
Sleepy
I really enjoyed this book. Dante, ash, sledge and Corey. I love them all. I think Dante might be my favorite although i hate his love is the annoying BITCH but I loved sledge and Corey, even though at times i felt it was a little Un real how they happened.
And ash my heart hurt for him, he's been through hell and when he thinks everything is finally right SHIT hits the fan again.

I did have some problems at times understanding the slang but, for me, didn't take anything away from the story.

I Lik
Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
I really didn't think this book was going to be as good as (Book 1) where we read about Tama who was like a train wreck ready to happen, this book for me ticked all the boxes also, had the two hotter than hot brothers who were always mistaken for the other, only difference in appearance was Dante had a tattoo round his eye, you also had a glimpse of the love as a family unit, which wasn't so strong in the beginning but came across more as you kept reading, times I was caught laughing, others I w ...more
Rachael
I finished a 9 book series and was left in that lonely readers point missing the characters. I had this on my kindle and I don't even remember buying it but I figured I'd give it a shot. Since I usually hate the first book I read after a good series I wasn't expecting much...but this one sucked me right in from start to finish. I started it last night and finished it in less than 24 hours. You know it's a good book when it's 3 am and the kids will be up at 6 and you still don't want to stop read ...more
Marita Hansen
Dec 28, 2014 Marita Hansen is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Introducing two of the Rata brothers in an extract from BEHIND THE TEARS (the beginning of chapter 1):

Beth peered through the window of the police cell. Her boyfriend was pacing the small enclosure like a caged animal, the menace practically rolling off him. She wasn’t being melodramatic either; the blood on Ash’s knuckles and face adding to the effect along with his vicious glare. But despite the situation Ash was in, he wasn’t a criminal ... Okay, maybe he was sort of, but it wasn’t like he wa
Verona Robinson
I started this book Friday evening and was finished by Saturday morning. I LOOOOOOVED this book. I skipped book one to start this because of the great reviews. This was well worth it. Who can pass up hot tattooed men that wear leathers? Exactly. The stories went well together and it was great how at every turn someone got tossed under the bus. I'm not doing this book any justice with this review because I'm not sure where to begin. It was that awesome.
Tina
This was a surprisingly good book. I enjoyed it alot.

There were alot of drama going on in this book. Sometimes it was hard to keep up, but it kept me interested.

I loved all the characters. My favourite would be Dante. His a little crazy, but his awesome. I love Sledge too. Im not really into M/M romance, but I think Sledge and Corey are great together.

A great book to read. Well done Marita.
Stacy
This tale of three brothers and their family, is a tale not for the feint of heart. You would not be able to put it down once you start reading. It's shocking, gritty and crass at times but it's an eye opener and a great read.
Monica
What a fantastic ride! So many characters, so many stories, so much drama, it totally worked!
Redfox5
I liked this book more than Behind The Hood and Graffiti Heaven. I think the characters it focused on were great. I know I'm supposed to be in love with Ash and Dante and don't get me wrong I like them and the picture of Ash on the cover is smokin' hot. But it was Corey and Sledge that I fell in love with during this book! I didn't really like them in 'Behind The Hood', mainly because they were friends with Tama and I hated him! OMG! The shower scene in the hospital at the end sealed the deal wi ...more
Denna
As with the first two novels by Marita A. Hansen, I found myself becoming emotionally involved with these characters right from the very first chapter. It was easy to forget I was reading a novel of fiction rather than following the chaotic lives of real people. Her characters came across gut wrenchingly real to this reader and forced me to keep turning those pages until long past my bedtime, not just because I found myself interested in what might happen, but because I 'HAD' to know. My only re ...more
Genney Blass
This book was a psychology class, learning about rape, bipolar, post traumatic stress disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, and the list can go on. It also remind me of a movie that I saw, which I did love "Once were Warriors" OMG, so much tragic, one after the other, but how a family unity can push all the things aside. I was heart broken with Ash, Dante, Sledge, Juliet they have went through so much in their younger years. Tiana and Angelo loved them, regardless of the situation she still l ...more
Candy
What a really intense way to start 2013! I loved this book. It was angsty, emotional, irrational and very dramatic. There was so much going on but I managed to keep up. Terrific story and a first I've read with characters of their ethnicity and in their setting. Every character got their own POVs throughout which was really great as you were never left wondering what was going on in one of their heads.

A story about family but one that's really messed up, each in their own way. This was a really
Lorrie
Bradley
This is the 2nd book in the Behind The Lives series. I liked this book way better than the first book. It had the gay love story I was looking for plus action, adventure and danger. I recently learned there's a 3rd book and I'm into this series enough that I'll eventually pick it up.
Rashida
My oh my where to start. First let me say that I usually dont skip around within a series but when I read the description of this book, I had to read it. This book was AMAZING from beginning to end. I fell in love with Ash, Dante, Corey, Sledge hell I was even felling sorry for NAF!!! Beth was aggrevating but every book has to have at least one person you want to smack and she was the person for me.

I have to now go back and read the 1st book and then tap my foot impatiently waiting for book 3.
Jessica Cline
A dark read full of New Zealand slang (which was unfamiliar to me but is accurate from what I understand). I was still fully able to follow the story even with the new to me slang.
There were parts that I really liked about the read – like Corey and Sledge’s developing relationship and parts I really didn’t – like Beth and everything she stood for. Corey and Sledge really were the highlight of the book for me. I liked reading about the other two Rata brothers but I could mostly take or leave them
Joseph
I have a brother and I would never do that to my brother, Dante is a failure of a brother. I love my bother, my brother is blood, a woman is not. That's sick and disrespectful, if I ever felt love for his woman I would high tail and tell him why. I would kill myself before that happened. Dropped the novel as soon as that happened. Where the fuck is the love and respect? The fuck is wrong with all these five star people?
Ilene
Definitely not for everyone but I really enjoyed this book. A lot of hard issues came up and several POV's were present. However, the author presented everything pretty clearly so there was little confusion. Yes, I read this book b4 the first in the series because it pulled me in. I didn't feel lost but I will definitely go back and read the first. I am desperately waiting for the next in the series though.
Q&A with Mari...: Differences between Behind the Hood & Behind the Tears 2 17 Jan 17, 2013 07:59AM
Q&A with Mari...: Characters from Behind the Tears 3 19 Jan 17, 2013 07:52AM
Q&A with Mari...: Behind the Tears 11 19 Dec 23, 2012 09:06AM
  • SHADOWS OF DECEIT
  • Ascension (Alfonzo, #2)
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • Lily of the Springs
  • No Ordinary Love
  • Leverage (The Mistaken, #2)
  • Drama... Another Man's Girl
  • The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture
  • The Order (Saletti Blood, #1)
  • Commitment
  • A Lover's Worth: The Ramseys
  • All the Pieces (Pieces of Lies, #3)
  • Antidote (Don't..., #2)
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
SOME FACTS ABOUT ME:

NATIONALITY: I am a New Zealander with Croatian heritage.

SPORTS: As a teenager my favourite sports were karate, badmington, and running. I also did unarmed combat and played in a touch rugby team (my gym teacher made me do the last one!) Now, I stick to coaching soccer and running. I have completed two marathons, numerous half-marathons and one 30K run.

CAREER PATH: I started of
More about Marita A. Hansen...

Behind the Lives (6 books)
  • Behind the Hood (Behind the Lives, #1)
  • Behind the Lens (Behind the Lives, #3)
  • Behind the Secrets (Behind the Lives, #4)
  • Behind the Beat - Part 1  (Behind the Lives #6)
  • Behind the Memories (Behind the Lives, #5)
My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 1 "Taken" (My Masters' Nightmare, #1) My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 2 "Discovered" (My Masters' Nightmare, #2) My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 3 "Betrayed" (My Masters' Nightmare, #3) My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 4 "Poisoned" (My Masters' Nightmare, #4) My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 5 "Escape" (My Masters' Nightmare, #5)

“So, his cock accidently slipped into your pussy?” 3 likes
“I betcha masturbate while reading your books. He started imitating a woman's voice. "Oh fuck me harder, Flabio, oh yes, oh no, but we shouldn't , you're too big and I'm a virgin, but oh, you fit so right, but we still mustn't, we're not married, but oh, oh, oh, yes, yes, YES! ~ Dante” 3 likes