Start by marking “The Curse of Senmut” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Curse of Senmut

Vickie Britton

The Curse of Senmut (Ardis Cole #1)

The Adventure Begins!

Outside a small village near the Valley of the Kings, archaeologist Ardis Cole arrives in Egypt to help excavate a tomb recently discovered by her mentor, Jane Darvin. When Jane is murdered, Ardis must assume responsibility for the project.

With the help of mysterious Blake Lydon, she must unravel the tomb’s mystery—an ancient secret concerning two min
Audio
Published June 1st 2000 by Books in Motion

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of Senmut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of Senmut

Mags
Feb 06, 2014 Mags rated it did not like it
Oh dear. Think I have previously read a book by these two (and thought it was really heavy handed and annoying to read), but somehow didn't remember that I had.
This was really bad. The main character (Ardis Cole) sees evil intent in everyone who her mentor loved and trusted - but trusts everyone who has just suddenly appeared on the scene of the novel.
I read it all because I really don't like NOT finishing a book. But honestly, it's a few hours of my life I won't get back.
Again, glad it was free
Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn)
I read this book because of the Egyptology theme and because it was in my backlog of books that I had downloaded on Kindle for free at some point. Despite initial misgivings over the writing due to a couple of noticeable grammar usage errors within the first ten pages, I went on to enjoy the rest of the book with no other major issues with the writing. I loved that the story and mystery revolved around Egyptian archaeology and that the main character considers herself an archaeologist.

Neverthele
P.S. Winn
Feb 19, 2016 P.S. Winn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this mystery interesting and engaging. When Ardis heads to meet her mentor Jane Darvin, she finds the fellow archaeologist very sick. Rushing Jane to the hospital, Ardis is devastated when the woman dies, This is when the mystery involving ancient Egypt begins and readers are taken on an amazing ride that is hard to walk away from. The authors did a great job with history and the feel of archaeological dig. I think readers are going to be fascinated by this tale.
Richard
This was an enjoyable book, well worth reading. I'm a big fan of novels featuring Egyptology and lady heroines, so that was all good. And it was sufficiently "colorful" in that regard. The writing suffers slightly from a peculiar affectation in some places, but the mechanics of the prose are otherwise all good, so I shouldn't really ding it for that, but it did bug me a little: the writing in many passages overuses the heroine's name when pronouns would be smoother, and even expected, in long na ...more
Lillie
Set in Egypt at an archaeological dig, this is an intriguing mystery. I appreciated the fact that there is no bad language, sex, or graphic violence. I also liked that I didn't find errors, particularly wrong word usage, which has been so common in the books I've read recently that I don't even mention it in reviews unless there are many errors. I wasn't pulled out of the story or distracted by things that bother me—just enjoyed a good mystery with a dash of romance. The romance was a little und ...more
Robin
The writing style was readable, the plot was intriguing and it kept me guessing but I felt like several of the scenes were contrived and all of the major players in the story were too often conveniently all in the same room (or vicinity) together, especially in the second half, which I thought unrealistic (and a little bit like the Egyptian version of “Clue”). I also felt the romance between the two main characters was brought on rather abruptly. While there was an attraction there, suddenly the ...more
Beth
Jan 17, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm only giving this two stars because it was set in Egypt and has to do with archaeology. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

But I really can't recommend this book. It was predictable and trite. The main character, Ardis Cole (apparently, there are more books featuring her), is a simpering idiot who can't figure out who the bad guys are, when I had them pegged early on.

There is a happy romantic ending. I'm happy to be done with this one.

Oh, let me just say this, though: what kind of archaeo
Tyler
Sep 24, 2015 Tyler rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: The archaeologist Ardis Cole is summoned to Egypt to help her good friend, Jane Darvin excavate a tomb that had recently been discovered. They thought that the tomb had been for Queen Hatshepsut, but when somebody murdered Jane Darvin, it was up to Ardis Cole to continue to unravel the mystery of the tomb and Hatshepsut's lover Senmut.

My Review: The story and premise was not terrible, but something about the writing style and presentation made it so I didn't really love this book. Ther
Lonna Cunningham
Sadly, this book tried my patience. Though the premise was interesting and the setting exotic, the dialog was so stuffy and stilted I wondered more than once if this had been translated from some other language into English by someone unfamiliar with the way people actually talk.
The plot was as one would expect ... And I think with a bit more editing this could've been a far more enjoyable book.
Tressa
Jan 16, 2013 Tressa rated it did not like it
I didn't like The Curse of Senmut. The plodding writing style and narration (which isn't the narrator's fault since she was following the book) just turned me off the story. It felt stilted and the names were frequently repeated, which compounded my dislike of the book. I couldn't finish listening to the audiobook.
Kirby
Mar 26, 2013 Kirby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I rate a book on how much I liked the story and I liked this story. It had elements of Agatha Christie with its group of likely suspects, clues and happenings to keep you clueless and misdirection on the who-done-it. Normally I would give this fun read a four, but I had to balance out ratings based on things not related to the story.
Deb Novack
Ardis Cole is summoned to Egypt by her teacher and mentor Jane Darvin.Jane is murdered as soon as Ardis arrives and she must take over the project. There are many mysterious happenings and people in this story. If you like love Egypt,archeology and mystery this is the series for you. I finished it in 2 days I could not put it down I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Hannah Roselyn Bloczynski
Interesting enough....

Interesting enough storyline, but some parts were too hurried. There was a good twist at the end, but the love story aspect was not well thought out in my opinion. Pleasant, quick read. Might be willing to read more of the series at some point. The editing errors annoyed me a bit. They threw off the rhythm of the story.
Tricia
horrible recording, not interested in hearing mouth noises and echos in the recording. Story was ok, could have been a lot better, there was gaps and sometimes it seemed sections missing. I honestly think most of the problems I have is with the audio version...I will try the next in the series by reading it....
Lee Holz
Apr 29, 2012 Lee Holz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Curse of Senmut is not a hard-edged thriller full of sex and violence. It is a well crafted and plotted mystery with a murder, a tomb, a curse and lots of exotic scenes and romance. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend it to all who are looking for an entertaining read.
Julie
Feb 09, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 Ardis Cole series

Excellent book. This was a quick read. I can not wait to read the next book in her series. Excellent author
Belletab
there was nothing wrong with the book / no editing issues - unfortunately, it was plain boring. i couldn't wait to finish it so i could start a new book.
P3reilly
Mar 07, 2016 P3reilly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know those books where you think, "I could do better than this..." In the case of this book, I think my twelve-year old students could do better than this.
Deedra
Aug 28, 2014 Deedra rated it did not like it
UGH
Mel
Mel rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2012
Karen Berry
Karen Berry rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Gwen Castle
Gwen Castle rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
D Conrad
D Conrad rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2012
Jean Olson
Jean Olson rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
T.J. Benham
T.J. Benham rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Barb Moore
Barb Moore rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Miss Kim Guthrie
Miss Kim Guthrie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Jillian
Jillian rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Louise
Louise rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Kindle Coundown D...: Kindle Countdown Deal The Curse of Senmut 1 2 Jul 25, 2014 09:27AM
  • A Small Case of Murder (Joshua Thornton Mystery, #1)
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • Covert Dreams
  • Masks of the Lost Kings
  • Nevermore
  • Tales from Brookgreen: Folklore, Ghost Stories, and Gullah Folktales in the South Carolina Lowcountry
  • White Heaven Women
  • Taking a Stand
  • Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove
  • The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)
  • Legends of Tsalagee
  • Fires of London (Francis Bacon, #1)
  • Falling Immortality: Casey Holden, Private Investigator
  • Titanic 2012 (Curse of RMS Titanic - an Inspector Alastair Ransom title)
  • Ghost Crown (The Tracks, #2)
  • Casting Stones
  • Past Suspicion
  • Buried in Benidorm (Max Castillo Mystery, #1)
Vickie Britton writes with her sister Loretta Jackson. They are the authors of over forty novels. Their series include the Jeff McQuede High Country Mystery Series and the Ardis Cole Archaeological Mystery Series. Vickie live in Kansas, but she spent many years in Laramie, Wyoming. Their newest High County mystery novels set in Wyoming are MURDER IN BLACK AND WHITE, WHISPERS OF THE STONES,and STEA ...more
More about Vickie Britton...

Ardis Cole (6 books)
  • Unmarked Grave (Ardis Cole, #2)
  • The Crimson Masquerade (Ardis Cole, #3)
  • Murder and the Monalet Ruby (Ardis Cole, #4)
  • The Destruction of Neva (Ardis Cole, #5)
  • Killer of Eagles (Ardis Cole, #6)