Start by marking “The Jungle Book” as Want to Read:
The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  72,010 Ratings  ·  1,865 Reviews
Bukit Batuan gempar! Mama dan Papa Serigala mengajukan seorang anak manusia untuk diasuh oleh mereka. Meskipun dengan berbagai pertentangan, Akela sang Pemimpin Serigala mengizinkannya, dengan jaminan sebuah lembu dari Bagheera, sang Macan Kumbang Hitam, dan pembelaan si Beruang Hitam Baloo, guru dari semua anak-anak serigala.

Namun Shere Khan, si Harimau Pincang tidak setu
Published October 2011 by Penerbit Atria (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Jungle Book, please sign up.

Manny
We are the masters of our planet, but we are not very good masters. We are, in the blunt phrase I saw a zoologist use the other day, a plague species. Sometimes, one feels the world would be better off without human beings. This isn't necessarily a counsel of despair or treachery. Our true loyalty should be not to mankind but to our genes, and most of those genes are to be found in other species who are far less destructive. It would almost be a relief if the beautiful and savage animals we shar ...more
Apatt
Oct 01, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Boo
Nandakishore Varma
IMO, Rudyard Kipling is the worst example of the quintessential British Imperialist and Colonialist. His attitude towards India is contemptuous and condescending. As a person, I dislike him intensely.

Kipling writes beautifully. His stories are simple, engaging and profound at the same time. As a writer, I love him.

This is a childhood favourite. I read it first in translation, and then in the original. This is a true classic - it works for one as a child as well as an adult.
Kristen
No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, h
Terry
Rudyard Kipling’s _The Jungle Book_ is an enjoyable read. A collection of short stories, all of which revolve around the lives and troubles of different animals and the people who interact with them, it has a surprising amount of depth coupled with rather pleasant prose. The most famous of these stories are probably those that revolve around Mowgli, the jungle boy raised by wolves in India whose adventures with Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther against the machinations of Shere Khan the ti ...more
Mariah
Jul 19, 2016 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am trying to read more classics, so why not start off with the Jungle book? This book is short enough that it only takes two CDs to listen to and a new movie version just came out about this book.

The characters were interesting and very different from the movie. For example, Baloo was apart of the wolf pack the whole time. His job is to train the pups. This is completely different than the movie.

All in all, I enjoyed this read! I’m glad this is my first classic, after starting up again. Also,
Amber Tucker
Aug 13, 2010 Amber Tucker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore children's lit fans
Lesson learned from this book: having been much- and long-beloved does not automatically make a book worth reading.
The only particular reason I picked this one off my shelf was the feeling it's a "classic" of children's lit, which I felt slightly ashamed of never having had a chance to enjoy – I assumed must be classically marvellous. (I mean, I don't know if I ever even watched the Disney adaptation all the way through. I was actually expecting all Mowgli stories. More than half are not, act
Lynne King
Two weeks ago I arrived at Aberdovey, a small seaside village on the Dyfi estuary in west Wales. So to discover sun, and thus an ideal day for the beach, I needed a book. Having no luck finding a bookshop, and minus my Kindle, the young man in the pub mentioned that the RNLI were selling books. So when I saw the smiling face of Mowgli on the cover of “The Jungle Book”, well I had to purchase it and also support the Lifeboats as they do such marvellous work.

I had read this collection of short sto
Aileene
Aug 08, 2016 Aileene is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aileene by: Luke Taylor

...as he believes I read too much Abs books *wrinkles nose*

Commencing on the 8th of August (9 Aug - Aus time)
Jessica
Well, now I guess I can say that I've read the actual JUNGLE BOOK. So . . . there's that. I'd always heard that the Disney cartoon was vastly different, and it's often listed as one of those books that is totally "ruined" by the movie version. But I'm sorry: BRAVO, DISNEY! Both times, actually. We just saw the new live-action one, and it was great, too.

Because the book isn't so much a story about a boy raised by wolves (and a panther and a bear) as a collection of short stories, two of which are
AMEERA
Aug 07, 2016 AMEERA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my best childhood story absolutely jungle the book * mowgli * beautiful adventure
I loved it
Olga Godim
Apr 25, 2014 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Last time I read The Jungle Book was years ago, to my son, when he was a preschooler. I didn’t remember much before I started this read. It might be that I only read him selective stories, because my memory of the stories was sketchy. Mowgli – aye, all of them, even the ones included in the other Jungle book. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi – yes, of course. But I don’t remember ever reading The White Seal or a couple other stories, so my impression of them is fresh.
The entire book is simplistic on the surfac
GoldGato
This classic story by Rudyard Kipling, telling of the adventures of Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the jungles of India, gets the Ingpen treatment. That is, the illustrations are by Australian artist Robert Ingpen, who brings the animals to life in the best edition I have seen of Kipling's tales for children.

This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.

Kipling. His pen could write with a silver tongue. The sounds and denizens of the jungle come alive with his words. Now add th
Werner
Apr 06, 2008 Werner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of stories about animals and/or jungle adventure
Shelves: classics
Lost in the jungles of 19th-century India (the book was first published in 1894) as a toddler, little Mowgli is rescued from the vicious tiger Shere Khan by an adoptive family of wolves, who raise him as part of their pack. The author's various species of jungle animals exhibit many traits and behaviors characteristic of real ones (Kipling was born and raised in India, and his setting is depicted with a deftness born of first-hand observation); but he also endows them with a culture and language ...more
PurplyCookie
Kipling pours fuel on childhood fantasies with his tales of Mowgli, lost in the jungles of India as a child and adopted into a family of wolves. Mowgli is brought up on a diet of Jungle Law, loyalty, and fresh meat from the kill.

"The boy could climb almost as well as he could swim, and swim almost as well as he could run; so Baloo, the Teacher of the Law, taught him the Wood and Water Laws. Then, too, Mowgli was taught the Stranger's Hunting Call, which must be repeated aloud till it is answere
monica ♪
description

I saw the movie yesterday and I loved it.
My favorite characters are of course Baloo and Bagheera
Excited to see what happen in the book. Hopefully they didn't change the plot that much in the movie.

Does it make me crazy if I say I enjoy the movie a lot more than the book?
Yes, they changed the plot in the movie but I like the movie better.
I'm very aware that this book is classic, that's why the spelling that's used is an old spelling. But the writing is just... Too hard for me to process it. You
K.M. Weiland
Mar 25, 2016 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Disney's Jungle Book--and that's a good thing. As much as I love the classic Disney cartoon version, this is a delightful story in its original incarnation, featuring a much grittier jungle and a much more independent young Mowgli. Aside from the Mowgli stories, there are also several other charmers, including my childhood favorite "Riki-Tiki-Tavi" and the ending story about the army animals. This is Kipling at his rightful best.
Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent dramatisation of a classic tale. I'm not going to review the actual book other than to say that if you only know 'The Jungle Book' from the Disney movie, you owe it to yourself to read the original book. It's more than a little different.

This dramatisation is really good. The cast is superb and they all do a fantastic job of bringing the characters they are voicing to life. The sound effects are also amazing as is the general production value. I'm not usually a fan of music
Kelly Ferguson
Jun 19, 2012 Kelly Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
You know you've been in grad school when...you can't read a children's classic without analyzing its Orientalist perspective. To read this book then, you have to do that thing where you forget there's been advances in social perspectives and take Kipling as a product of his time—a British colonialist.

Now that we've gotten that over with, I was surprisingly spellbound by these tales of Mowgli and his jungle friends. Kipling had me in a thrall, and I wanted to believe this fantasy of being raised
aPriL is  often off-leash and feral
"Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free--
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! - Good hunting all
That keep the Jungle Law!"
Night-song in the jungle

'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling is a book of delightful short stories and poem-songs about talking animals. Five of the stories follow Mowgli, who as a human toddler was separated from his parents after Shere Khan, t
Kate (GirlReading)
I love the way this reads, it's as though Rudyard Kipling is telling the story directly to the reader, instead of the reader reading it themselves.

I really enjoyed the first three stories in this collection especially (I didn't realise that The Jungle Book was a collection of short stories before reading this!) They were all reminiscent of the Disney film I have grown up with and loved but there were obvious differences which I really enjoyed. It was darker in the way that it was simply honest.
John
Jul 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection, including all of Mowgli's stories as well as Rikki-tikki-tavi, was culled from Kipling's original, two volume collection of jungle stories. I like the thematic continuity of this volume, and including the mongoose story as a capstone played very well to my young audience.

Mowgli's journey as a boy raised among wolves resonates on a deeply human and humane level. Kipling clearly stacks the deck in favor of the animals--at least those who operate according to the Law of the Jungle-
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
A unique classic. Before you watch Disney, try reading the real thing. This is a wonderful book for young and old alike from the scary snakes to the crazy wicked monkeys to the terrifying tiger and the cool and powerful panther. This is a classic story that needs to be read.

Five stars. It's a hugh favorite.
Chester Dean
Jun 21, 2016 Chester Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, books-2016

El libro trata sobre el ya muy conocido Mowgli, un niño humano que crece dentro de una manada de lobos en la selva, y cree o al menos intenta ser uno más de los lobos. Pero él crece de forma diferente, de forma más lenta, además de que él no puede cazar como hacen los lobos, pero él resulta de mucha ayuda ya que él tiene manos y puede ayudar a los lobos en apuros con espinas en las patas. Y Mowgli está bajo la tutela de la pantera negra Bagheera que cuida de él y le enseña las leyes de la se
Vienna
Apr 24, 2016 Vienna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Here's my full review about The Jungle Book, The Second Jungle Book (which is in this edition as well) and a comparisation between the Disney movie and the 2016 one! http://itsabooksworld.booklikes.com/p...
Kit
Nov 14, 2013 Kit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread from childhood; it is amazing to me how much a book like this instantly returns me to the feelings I had as a child. This book inspired many playtime fantasies of being raised by wolves and having to fend for myself, making me feel more powerful and confident than I usually felt as a shy middle child. I even had a black cat, Thomas, who I cast as Bagheera, to play along with me.

The poetry is my favorite part of the book, to be honest. I can't count the number of times I used the rhythmic
Chas Smash
Sentía curiosidad por este libro. Ya vi la versión de Disney y la recientemente estrenada en cines, de la cual salí bastante contenta. Pero es mucho más entretenido verlo que leerlo. La parte de Mowgli, quizás porque estás más familiarizada con la trama se te hace más ameno, pero el resto de las historias hacen que el libro desluzca un poco.
La parte de Mowgli: 3,5/5
El resto: 2/5
Jim Peterson
It takes a lot of talent to write for children. The writing must be kept simple, but it can still be beautiful. Best of all, these stories must be exciting and very imaginative, something I also love in books for adults. The best children's stories, however, can be enjoyed by people of all ages - and The Jungle Book is definitely one such story.

If you only know the Disney movie, check this out.

Remember, it is written by a Nobel prize-winning author, so it qualifies as Literature with a capital
Eustacia Tan
Oct 14, 2011 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Previously, I only knew about The Jungle Book if it was the Disney movie, which I didn't even watch. The show looked a little infantile and frankly, I didn't really get it.

Later on, I read and loved The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which I heard was based on The Jungle Book. Interesting, but still not enough to get me to read it.

Finally, I read The God of Small Things by Arundathi Roy. In it, they quoted The Jungle Book's "We be of one blood, thou and I". After meeting all these instances of
Rikke
The first time I read "The Jungle Book" I was appalled by how far it was from the Disneyfied version I had expected it to be. I couldn't seem to wrap my mind around it and separate the long-held associations between the book and the movie - so I just gave up. Simple as that.

Upon reading it now several years later, I can finally appreciate the book for what it really is: a beautiful fragment of childhood-fantasies and adventures, intertwined with a very vivid cultural glimpse of Kipling's beloved
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Jungle Book Discussion - **SPOILERS** 16 17 Aug 16, 2016 08:46AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Jungle Book - pre-read 32 20 Aug 15, 2016 01:39PM
ACPL Online Book ...: The Jungle Book 1 1 May 18, 2016 02:34PM
Return of the Rog...: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 13 9 May 10, 2016 06:20PM
Around the Year i...: The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling 4 34 Apr 17, 2016 06:58AM
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Little Golden Book)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • The Children of the New Forest
  • Pinocchio
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3 (Large Print Edition)
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • English Fairy Tales
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was an English journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including "The Man Who Would Be King" (1888). His poems include "Mandalay" (1890), "Gunga Din" (1890), "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" (1919), "The White Man's Burden" (1899), and "If—" (1910). He is regarded as
More about Rudyard Kipling...

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” 252 likes
“Now, don't be angry after you've been afraid. That's the worst kind of cowardice.” 58 likes