Start by marking “Christmas in Time” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Time

Christmas in Time

Paranormal, time travel novella, a prequel to Only Yesterday.

Everybody in her family and in the Gulf Coast town of Fairhope views Gilly as a woman whose life is plain and simple, one who has been content to spoil her great-niece Ann while living out her days in Windchime House. Only her best friend Margaret knows the heroic story of Gilly Debeau.

When Ann's Christmas gift
Published (first published September 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Time

Tara Chevrestt
Dec 31, 2011 Tara Chevrestt rated it did not like it
First of all, let me say that I understand the sinking of Titanic and that this story – overall – was rushed to squeeze it into a little novella that would only take two hours to read. This was a mistake. The romance was immediate.. and I don’t mean they went to bed together right away (that’s a normal occurrence in romance novellas) but confessing their love for each other after one bloody walk on the boat deck? Err.. and after cuddling and canoodling with a total stranger in front of everyone, ...more
Arlene
Dec 22, 2011 Arlene rated it liked it
Rating Clarification: 2.5 Stars

Christmas in Time by Peggy Webb wasn’t quite what I expected. This story takes place in two time frames, starting with the present day in Fairhope, Alabama with a sudden shift in perspective as the main character receives a Christmas gift that catapults her back in time to the Titanic.

When Gilly boarded the RMS Titanic for its maiden voyage to America, her life was full of promise and high hopes. On this voyage, which was an eighteenth birthday present from her fat
Brenda
Jan 10, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely romance that isn't just a Christmas read, though it takes place during the holidays. Christmas in Time is a time travel novella, a prequel to Only Yesterday from the author. I've picked up many, many prequels for my Kindle, and many are simply a short introduction to the series. This novella is a story in itself, not an introduction. The reader is swept back in time to The Titanic, as a young Gilly Debeau takes to the seas with her father, who gives her room to explore the ship ...more
Mirely
This short story made me cry ;-(

Gilly Debeau has advanced in age and lives alone in Alabama. She has a great niece who calls on her but she lives in New York. Gilly collects wind chimes and the one her great niece gifts her one for Christmas seems to transport her to a time long ago forgotten on the great ship Titanic. Gilly dad has gifted her with the voyage on her 18th birthday and on this voyage Gilly meets her love. The romance takes place in a span of like two or three days and Gilly and Wi
Sandra "Jeanz"
Nov 25, 2011 Sandra "Jeanz" rated it it was amazing
Gilly tells her niece all about the Debeau curse... The "you know you are truly in love when your toes curl" Gilly's niece wonders how her aunt Gilly would know as she is what some would call an old spinster. Gilly is ill, in fact she is so ill her mind drifts back in time and tells us the story of the man she met and fell madly in love with that made her toes curl!
Gilly had been on the Titanic, the trip had been an eighteenth birthday gift from her father. I don't want to give much away but eve
Zoe
Dec 18, 2012 Zoe rated it it was ok
In all honestly, I downloaded this yesterday because it was free on kindle and came up when I searched the word 'Christmas'. The bit that got me really excited, from the Amazon webpage was its product description:

Paranormal, time travel novella, a prequel to Only Yesterday.

Heather
Jan 19, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Another quick read for me. The book starts with Gilly as an old woman. She has never been married, but she did have a love of her life. We get to hear her love story through a weird transition. I'm not sure if it supposed to be magical or just a dream. Her love was met on the Titanic, a trip taken with her father. It was a sweet romance, although rather quick; it seemed even quicker than usual.
Susan
Jan 01, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, christmas
This was quite a pleasant novel but the similarities to Titanic were massive to the point it felt like half the novel was borrowed. The reference to Christmas was quite tentative too, in short it was a bit like reading a novel when I knew what was going to happen and there was no real feel good Christmas vibe.
Barbara
Jun 21, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
I liked the two story lines in this book. As far as it being a Christmas story is a bit of a stretch for me. I also like to read Christian fiction. I expected to see some consequences for Gilly's sexual adventures. Granted, her true love died, but I thought she would have ended up with a child. At the beginning of the book, the author takes us back in time to explain why Gilly is an old maid. To me, the transition to the past and then back to the present seemed very abrupt. This book added anoth ...more
Kitty
Dec 18, 2011 Kitty rated it really liked it
This was a rather bitter-sweet story, that only loosely has anything to do with Christmas. It's more about an old lady remembering her past than a "time travel" book. It's actually a little sad, which I normally avoid, but this one sort of sucked me in, and was short enough to be worth finishing.

It's probably only a 3-star book on its own, but I'm giving it 4 stars because as a prequel, it did exactly what it was supposed to. It made me curious to read more. I've already bought Only Yesterday -
Michelle Gerber
I like the story, but I wanted to love it; it was easy to follow and interesting. There were a few spots where all I could think of was "yeah, right!" A couple of examples are... when the father was said to have bought her a (maybe French, can't remember for sure) maid's dress, that showed off her bust... and how about when she was in the life boat and peeled out of all her clothes, except her wool bathing suit, to jump into the water and save some of the people.
Judy King
Dec 04, 2011 Judy King rated it it was ok
This started out great -- the development was so good, and the plot was kinda borrowed but ok -- and then about 60% in, she just kinda quit...the book was free from Amazon, and now I see she is listing it as a prequel to another book. It seemed like she was a decent writer, certainly too good for how she just suddenly dumped the Titantic into the ocean -- and ended the story. Whew, came close to spoilers there.
Tanya
Nov 13, 2011 Tanya rated it it was ok
Not really a novel. This is a short story, movie Titanic knock off. Even the father's name is Jack. Not worth the read, not much depth, and frankly the romance seemed contrived. I very much doubt ship's employee's were allowed to fraternize with 1st class passengers. It is not very Christmas oriented either, just the original setting and Molly Brown supposedly holding a Christmas party on the Titanic.
Alyssa White
Jan 24, 2016 Alyssa White rated it liked it
This book gets a 3.5 from me. It was a quick and easy read - short and sweet. It really seemed to base similar ideas off of the James Cameron movie with the older woman dreaming back in time (not going to spoil it but you know where I am headed). It is interesting to read a book about "fiction" titanic when I just wrote one because I am comparing notes. I would recommend it if you want a quick little read.
Jae
Nov 12, 2011 Jae rated it really liked it
A short story but very heart wrenching non the less. Just imagine the movie Titanic and even with the same ending. I shed a few tears too (can't help myself).

But the good news is this is just a prequel to Only Yesterday (Loveswept) by Peggy Webb. And it looks interesting as well too.
Angieleigh
Dec 21, 2011 Angieleigh rated it liked it
If you want a short book to read while waiting at an airport or for friends to stop by, then you'll probably like how fast-paced this romantic time-travel book is.

I love all things Titanic-inspired, but this was a bit...too short. And the jumping around kind of threw me off and made me wonder if I have a corrupt ebook copy, but I don't...that's just how it's written.
LadyCalico
Mar 05, 2012 LadyCalico rated it did not like it
Although the beginning of the story was good, there were three negatives about it that I felt could not be overlooked--(1)The author had The Titanic going the wrong way. (2) The bit about the April Christmas Party struck me as so stupid that I wondered why the author even put it in there. (3) Too much of the story was lifted straight out of the movie Titanic.
Terry Crawford Palardy
Dec 04, 2011 Terry Crawford Palardy rated it it was amazing
Whimsy and Nostalgia ... This is a delightful book, deceptive in its title but rewarding in its historical context. Gilly is an easy to understand character, with family and friends who exemplify bonding love. I read it in an evening, tucked under a quilt, with candles in my windows celebrating the coming holiday. I loved it, and look forward to the sequel!
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is the first book of Peggy Webb's that I have read and I really enjoyed it. As it mentions the Titanic you pretty much already know what happens - at least regarding that part of the story. What I enjoyed about it though was the character of Gilly as an old lady. She had spirit and courage, as well as her friend Margaret. A lovely story but short.
R.G. Phelps
Jun 20, 2016 R.G. Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Peggy Webb's sharing of an aunt's experience on the Titanic was both refreshing and heartfelt. Even though the basic setting for memory shared was in April aboard the Titanic, it's centered around a Molly Brown Christmas party and a eighteen year old girl's first love. It is a story that will touch your heart. Enjoy!
Kimberlie
Mar 07, 2013 Kimberlie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A simple and tender story of a woman remembering the man she fell in love with so long ago. I dont know that putting it on the Titanic was such a good thing, but I enjoyed the story nonetheless. The synopsis had me thinking it was a time travel book, which it is not. I would read more from this author.
Aug 27, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I found this to be a sweet love story.

It's not really paranormal but more of a walk down memory lane.

I did feel the author rushed the story & and I would have loved to see her develop the characters a bit more but it was a prequel so maybe the characters are better developed later
Lisa
Dec 25, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
This was a free book on Kindle so I am predisposed to be kind. But all in all it was a short, easy, diverting read. Not terribly challenging and a bit of what you would expect, hence the 3 stars, but not terrible either. Sets up for the sequel more than stands alone.
Barbara
Jan 09, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel, nook
Since it's technically the tail end of the Christmas season, I thought I'd get this little story read and out of the way.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this sweet little love story. My only problem with it was that it ended too soon.
NayNay
Dec 11, 2011 NayNay rated it liked it
For a quick read this book turned out to be a good story. The writing was excellent, the characters were good. The way the author went from present time to the time of the Titanic was well done. If your looking for something light and quick, this is it.
Michi
Not the worst thing I've ever read, but it was rushed, completely and totally predictable for even the dimmest reader, and not really Christmasy at all. I couldn't even stomach the preview for the sequel. I have better books to read.
Nikki
Dec 03, 2014 Nikki rated it did not like it
I got this on Kindle for no more than 99 cents. I gave up on it fairly rapidly because the author seemed to think that the voyage of the Titanic was from New York to Southampton rather than the other way around. Not recommended.
Diane
oh, i wish this book had been longer--it was so moving. there is a sequel as well. nothing like true love and living for the moment, only to lose it and be alone for the nest 70 years, with only memories to sustain you.
Kaye
Mar 25, 2012 Kaye rated it it was ok
Super short quick read. Meh. Contrived and silly at times. I would have liked to have seen more about Gilly as an old lady with her friend Margaret and what happened in the years following the Titanic.
Christine
Jan 01, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Even though this was a novella, I would have liked to have seen more development and chemistry between the characters. I didn't feel their love, and felt their relationship developed from nowhere.
  • Christmas Redemption
  • A Vision of Sugarplums
  • The Last Killiney (Ravenna Evans, #1)
  • Holiday Rush
  • Heart of a Knight
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Angel Be Good
  • A Dixie Christmas
  • Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited, #1)
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
  • Mary's Son
  • Home for Christmas (The Perfect Gift)
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • Must Love Santa
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)
  • Texas Hold Him
Peggy Webb is a USA Today Bestselling author from Mississippi. She has written 70 novels, 200 magazine humor columns, 2 screenplays. Called a "comedic genius" by her peers, she writes romantic comedy and the hilarious Southern Cousins Mysteries as Peggy Webb. She writes literary fiction under the pen names Anna Michaels and Elaine Hussey. Pat Conroy calls her literary work "astonishing" and Kathie ...more
More about Peggy Webb...