Start by marking “Who is the Doctor: The Unofficial Guide to Doctor Who: The New Series” as Want to Read:
Who is the Doctor: The Unofficial Guide to Doctor Who: The New Series

Who is the Doctor: The Unofficial Guide to Doctor Who: The New Series

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Who is the Doctor is a fun and insightful episode guide that explores all facets of Doctor Who’s triumphant return to television. Covering the six seasons of the New Series, this is the essential companion for the most avid fan as well as the more casual viewer. Doctor Who was already the world’s longest-running science fiction series when it returned in 2005 to huge succe ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by ECW Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Who is the Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who is the Doctor

Alan Scott
This book is MY companion through time and space!! I'm an old-school Who fan [Whovian, I guess, although I prefer Whomo], and I've been watching Doctor Who ever since the "Classic" series played on our local PBS station [Channel 11] every Sunday night at 11pm back in the 80's. I used to buy every Doctor Who guide or review book I could find, such as The Discontinuity Guide or Who's Next. This book is by far the best. I'm actually astonished at how good it is. Doctor Who is sometimes refereed to ...more
Kathleen Cobcroft
Sep 27, 2012 Kathleen Cobcroft rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Whovians
I'm used to Doctor Who tie-ins being rather light on interest for anyone over 12 who's actually seen episodes. This book is a much more in depth tome, full of bits that even scary hard-core fans (such as myself) hadn't picked up and details about how new Who fits with classic episodes.

[edit] The publisher also has a very generous deal where they send you a DRM-free ebook in return for proof of purchase of the paperback!
Don
A very fun, very engaging and entirely entertaining book looking at all the episodes of the revived Doctor Who; Graeme Burk and Robert Smith? are clearly Who fans of old, but - unlike so many fans of "classic Who" - that doesn't mean they hate the new series for being its own thing. This book is, in fact, part of a new (and, thankfully, refreshing) trend of Who discussions by classic fans who don't feel the need to trash the new and different television show, - and we could certainly use more of ...more
Rob
This is a very well thought out and introspective guide of the first six seasons of the new Doctor Who. This book has more interesting facts on the series than you know what to do with. One of the highlights in my opinion, is have the two authors both review each episode, which leads to differing viewpoints, instead of creating an "official" stance on each episode. The opinions are solely that, and it's ultimately left up to the reader to decide how they liked each episode.
Robert Smith?
Feb 06, 2012 Robert Smith? rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, so I co-wrote it, but in my biased opinion this is awesome! :-)

But I'm not alone. Some guy called Neil Gaiman also speaks very highly of it, as you can see by the quote on the front cover...
Taylor Deatherage
A smart and incredibly comprehensive guide to the new series of Doctor Who! I was pleasantly surprised...
Chelsey
So I just got this book yesterday and I cannot put it down. I think Neil Gaiman put it perfectly when he said this book is “nightmarishly more-ish.” Now on to the review… ALLONS-Y! (Had to put that in there! ahaha)

This book is a collaborative effort between two men who are self proclaimed, hardcore Doctor Who fans. It contains episode guides for all the episodes in the new series 1-6 of Doctor Who, the greatest show on television ;) It also has mini bios of actors, writers and other people along
Erikka
Okay, so it's not really "non-fiction", but it's a book about a show, not any new fictional content, so I'll call it NF for my own personal records.

This book is great. If you're a fan of the new series, you'll want to pick this up. Each story, including mini-sodes, are discussed, through the Wedding of River Song (End of series 6). They explain what it's about, tell you one great moment and one not-so-great, explain who the Doctor is in that episode, how he interacts with the companion, and som
Courtney Stoker
I don't normally enjoy either fan reviews or trivia on TV shows, so this is not normally a book I would enjoy. But I found myself reading 3/4 of it in one day, and thoroughly enjoying it. A reader like me who doesn't care too much about trivia or continuity commentary could easily skim the bits of the book that aren't the main reviews, but a reader who enjoys those things will find those parts thorough and interesting. The reviews are the real gem of the book, though. The back-and-forth between ...more
Tria
When it comes to encyclopædic detail, this is as good as any of the Whovian companion books out there, and for someone who hasn't seen the classic series it has a lot of good tie-in detail about character/monster backstory in particular. The place where it falls down, and falls down badly, is the amount of opinion material, the authors' ignorance of any content that might be problematic for or offensive towards anybody who isn't white and male (like them - and don't get me started on the snide l ...more
Kerry
So if I'm completely honest, I technically didn't finish this one. I got about 30 pages from the end and had to return it to the library. I'm going to put myself back on the hold list and I'll finish it when I get it back. However, it was so close I'm happy to call it read.

I kind of took a pause, because we got to the final season (season 6) of the new series and that's the one I'm most emotionally involved with. So while I recognise issues with the episodes, I kind of took a breather from the w
Victoria
This book is an impressive tome of new series Dr. Who information for any die-hard Whovian. I won this book via First Reads, and I was absolutely stunned at the size and information content in the book. I was expecting a thin, image-laden, superficial information type of book, and what I received was beyond all of my expectations.

The book is an episode-by-episode guide of the first six series. The guide features much more than a plain plot synopsis, but also include any outside references, conn
Andy
Graeme Burk and Robert Smith? take the best elements from The Discontinuity Guide, the About Time series, and the Howe-Stammers-Walker programme guides and apply them to the New Series. The book is well written, thoroughly researched, and enlightening. I especially liked the "Adventures in Time and Space" sections, which show how various episodes both from the Classic and New series are referenced; there were several times I learned something new, and that's saying something for an old, cynical ...more
Sean
This is a terrific book that fans of Doctor Who will really enjoy. Its focus is the new series which began in 2005. I have a lot of books that review Doctor Who episodes (the About Time series, Running Through Corridors, Doctor Who - The Television Companion, etc) and this is one of the very best I've read. The format is very similar to Mad Norwegian's About Time series...two writers offer up details and their opinions on each episode. There are also pieces giving background on aspects of the sh ...more
Carolien
Brilliant guide with enormous amount of trivia about the new Dr Who. It describes and has opinions about all the episodes from the first six seasons. I found out there are actually some episodes I haven't seen and am looking for these now. I would want to read the episode guide after seeing it first, rewatching after reading the guide, then watch one more time with the guide in hand. The following part I copied verbatim from another review: It applies exactly..
So if I'm completely honest, I tech
Carol
As a relative newcomer to Dr. Who, this book explained a lot. I only watched a few episodes of the 10th Doctor and the current series so I was constantly asking someone to explain the background to me. I didn't read all of this but I skimmed through and definitely gleaned some understanding. It was also fun to go through the episodes I have seen and read the experts' take on them. Good to know that such a book exists for the next time I get confused! A true Whovian might have been bored, but it ...more
Alison
I stayed up until 3:00 AM reading this book, and although I love books, I usually love sleep more.

Usually.

I highly recommend "Who Is the Doctor" to any "Doctor Who" fan (although it is filled with spoilers, it won't make any sense to those who haven't seen the episodes.) It contains detailed analysis and reviews of every episode of the New Series, along with plenty of information about the connections to Classic Who. I found it a compulsively enjoyable read.
Gwen
One can never really be "Done" reading this book. It's almost the type of book you'll grab, open and just start reading.
I've seen each Ep. of The New Series many many times and I still love reading about them. Even the ones that totally weren't my faces.
Great touch having both authors weigh in on their likes and dislikes.
I also like the historical context that the throw in about earlier Doctors, Companions, Monsters, etc.
This book is Fantastic!
Curtis King
I enjoyed this book immensely, it's always a pleasure to read what other Who fans have to say about the show! Especially fans who have access to resources and connections that I lack. That the two reviewers have such differing opinions about the stories only adds to the fun!
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Doctor Who, is just being introduced to the show, or is just wondering what all the fuss is about!
Mary
For Doctor Who fans: this is a must-read guide to the six seasons in the New Series (beginning in 20005). Fascinating information for each episode: synopsis with detailed analysis, cultural references & connections to Classic series, explanation of each season's story arc, character relationships, regenerations and so much more. It is presented in an accessible, fun-to-read format and will be enjoyed by both the novice and expert fans.
Aiden O'neill
Best book ever. I've always been interested in Doctor Who. This episode guide is funny but, also gets the information to you. I've even discovered episodes of doctor who i never knew existed. My favorate episode in the guide is End of Time (Parts 1 and 2). These are my favorate entrys because the authors are funny and complain about things they dont like/ praise things they do like.
Jeff Szpirglas
Picking up where the Discontinuity Guide left off, Graeme Burk and Robert Smith? do an admirable job of unpacking the new series up to series six. Whereas the Discontinuity Guide gave us brief snippets of reviews, Burk and Smith? each spend upwards of a page or two with their own takes on each adventure. The good news is that both authors have insightful things to say.
Pewterbreath
I really liked this book as a great resource for new who. It doesn't include the last season or so, but in retrospect I'm wondering (and hoping against hope I'm wrong) if the revitalization of this TV series might be nearing an end. In any case, this book charts the years where Doctor Who was really giving sci-fi television a shot in the arm when it needed it most.
Margaret Sankey
Smartass survey of the reboot under Davies and Moffat, with commentary on the scripting process and production choices--I am very relieved to know that the flash of recognition I get of an in-joke or a reused prop or a reference to another 1970s BBC show is actually the product of vast wasted trivia knowledge and not a brain tumor. Also, still can't stand Rose.
Jed
As a big fan of Dr Who, I really enjoyed this. Written by fans, it delves a little more into the interesting bits of the new series (since Christopher Eccleston), but references back to the original series. I need to see the Matt Smith episodes again now, to tie up some loose ends I didn't really get the first time round.
Robert Watson
Had the absolute delight of meeting the two authors at Ottawa ComicCon 2013 and got them to sign my copy of this amazing book.

I love going in depth and going over every small thing in the episodes, so this book was a must have.

Great to read, great for random little bits of trivia!

BUY THIS BOOK! Seriously!
Adele
Great read! Really insightful look into season 1 to 6 of the new series. Although, as a fan of David Tennant I was not too thrilled by the authors criticism of his role as the Doctor. But overall it was a great book and I would recommend to any fans of the new series :)
Robert
Finished watching Series 6 and reading my way through this commentary. Didn't always agree with the authors' evaluations, but always enjoyed the background information and references. Just wish they had kept going.
Leticia
This was a great read if you have already seen the entire new series. References and plot points are explained. So if you feel like you may have missed something while watching the episodes, pick this book up.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
The authors dissected each episode of Doctor Who, and discussed how each episode fit into the over all story arc. Loved it. Going on my wish-list so I can purchase it and read it more in depth in the future.
  • Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who Encyclopedia
  • Adventures with the Wife in Space: Living With Doctor Who
  • The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Time Traveller
  • Doctor Who: The TARDIS Handbook
  • Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary
  • About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 1 to 3)
  • The Quotable Doctor Who: Wise Words from Across Space and Time
  • Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
  • Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Damaged Goods
  • Time and Relative (Doctor Who Novellas)
  • The Science of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Queers Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the LGBTQ Fans Who Love It
  • The Room With No Doors
  • Love and War
GRAEME BURK is the co-author (with Robert Smith?) of the guides to Doctor Who, Who Is The Doctor and the upcoming Who's 50 (both published by ECW Press). He was co-editor of two anthologies of fan writing on the Classic and New Series of Doctor Who, Time Unincorporated (Mad Norwegian Press, 2010 and 2011). A finalist for a new screenwriting prize with the Writers Guild of Canada, he currently has ...more
More about Graeme Burk...
Who's 50: The 50 Doctor Who Stories to Watch Before You Die - An Unofficial Companion Time, Unincorporated 3: The Doctor Who Fanzine Archives: (Vol. 3: Writings on the New Series) Time, Unincorporated: Volume 2-Writings on the Classic Series (Time, Unincorporated, 2) The Doctors Are In: The Essential and Unofficial Guide to Doctor Who's Greatest Time Lord Short Trips and Side Steps  (Doctor Who Short Trips Anthology Series)