Start by marking “Shepherd Avenue” as Want to Read:
Shepherd Avenue

Shepherd Avenue

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When his mother dies and his grief-stricken father abandons him, 10-year-old Joey is sent to his father's parents, Connie and Angelo, where he becomes friends with his baseball-playing Uncle Vic and tomboy Mel, and meets other residents of the boisterous Italian American community in Brooklyn. (Nancy Pearl)
Published (first published September 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shepherd Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shepherd Avenue

The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniNever Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best ALA Adult Notables
84th out of 134 books — 50 voters
Moneyball by Michael LewisBall Four by Jim BoutonThe Boys of Summer by Roger KahnShoeless Joe by W.P. KinsellaThe Natural by Bernard Malamud
Best Baseball Books
321st out of 432 books — 464 voters

More lists with this book...

Nenette
Charlie Carillo's first novel...not bad for starters, but I'm not raving as I did with his other works.

This is a coming of age story of a 10-year old boy who lost his mother and had to live with grandparents he hadn't met before, after his father left him for reasons he couldn't understand. At an awkward age, Joey was just a child and a bundle of emotions at the same time. Though it was a bit slow-paced, the plot was rich with characters and events that all had an effect on him.

I am on a roll
Diana Donnelly
This story was about a 10-year-old boy who is dropped at his grandparents' after his mother's death. These are not grandparents that he knew at all and he's left there to deal with the loss of his mother and get to know them while his father wanders off to handle his own grief. He has an uncle who was living there and with whom he shared a bedroom. His uncle was high school age with high aspirations of becoming a professional baseball player. Little Joey learned much about life from him. Joey's ...more
Rune
I loved this. I'm a sucker for a coming-of-age story, and in this book Joey has to deal with the loss of his mother throught a hot summer on Sheperd Avenue.
An italian neighbourhood in New York, where he's placed with his grandparents (whom he's never met) while his father runs off to grieve.

Joey has to try and find his place in this strange, new world - where making friends isn't too easy, and everyone thinks that whatever's outside the neighbourhood will kill you.
Chris
This free Kindle book was interesting, held my attention, and was sad.
Richard Philbrick
Another book I picked up for free on the Kindle store, and what a delight. After his mother's death, Joey Ambrosio is left to live with his grandparents by his father, Sal. Sal needs to take time off to cope with his wife's death. Joey has a great deal to cope with, too: working through his grief and anger; forging a relationship with his grandparents and his uncle, people he hardly knows; and adjusting to the customs and habits of life in the Italian enclave in which his grandparents live. A to ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
This book was harder to get into than the other books I've read by Carillo. That being said it was still a very good read.
I don't know how something as mundane as a story about a kid's life living with his grandparents could be so interesting, but it is.
Like his other books, the characters are fantastically written and you really love or hate them.
Very much looking forward to picking up One Hit Wonder soon.
Rick Schmidt
This was another excellent book by Charlie Carillo. Vivid characters with a great storyline. I liked the twists and turns that made the characters seem more real. Things happened to them that cemented their place as regular people with some good and some bad events in their lives. Certainly a reinforcement that you need to protect your family relationships as they are important.
Amazin2843
I loved the detailed description of Joey's growing up in one summer in his Brooklyn Grandparents home. It's awful to lose your mother, home in Roslyn, father for the summer, and end up with bickering relatives you didn't know existed. That is this book.
My only complaint is that I didn't care for the ending. It came too soon. I hoped for a couple more chapters.
Sara
I really liked this book. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, is because it has many grammar and editorial mistakes, but the story, oh the story is so good! I really felt like I knew all the characters. I pictured them perfectly and I even heard their voices. Plus, I was sad when it ended, and that is always a good sign.
Rachel
This novel is fantastic. I want to know more about Joey's life after the end of the book!

I absolutely imagine many 5th graders loving this book, but I also imagine that their parents, teachers, and librarians would cringe at the obscenities used. I think a lot of 10-year-olds use the language, but who wants to admit that?
Darcy
Shepherd Avenue was a very good coming of age book. Carillo really evoked the Brooklyn neighborhood the young boy was dropped into after the death of his mother without making it seems stereotyped. This one was a free download on Kindle. Worth it.
Cissy
I read this because it was a freebie. I think it is probably the best of all of the free reads I have found for my kindle. Nice "coming of age" story. I wish the grandmother had been a little less mean.
Donna Ludovico
Reminded me of Lost in Yonkers. Felt sympathy for all the characters, each lost in their own pain brought on by disappointment and frustration and all taking it out on each other.
Jim
I can't explain, even to myself, why I enjoyed this book so much. Perhaps it touches something in all our childhoods.
Tom
Excellent book and story about an 11 year old boy and how he grieves for his mother who died of cancer.
Laina Tallerico
I loved this sweet story. It was real and it reiterated that life isn't always a fairytale.
Vicky
If this book hadn't been edited so badly I probably would have given it 5 stars.
Mary Beth
A coming of age novel set in an Italian neighborhood in New York.
Lenora
Loved this novel about growing up Italian in 1960 Brooklyn, NY.
Sara Schaefer
A quick easy read. Wanted to read more.
Maryellen
This was a good story with great characters!
Sheila
Jan 26, 2012 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved this book. Loved the story.
Karen Page
Very enjoyable read!
Diane
Very enjoyable read!
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • The Sun Zebra
  • Vada Faith
  • Kindred Crimes
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • The Burned Tower
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Small Kindnesses
  • Memories
  • The Red Rooster
  • Breaking News
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • Country Girls
  • Penumbra
  • Sterling Redmond
  • Sacrifice (Nicci Beauvoir #3)
  • Love Letters, Inc
  • Story of a Comfort Girl
My Ride With Gus Sag bloß Mama nichts davon Einmal Brooklyn und nicht zurück Das Wunder kam beim Rasenmähen Das Wunder kam beim Rasenmähen (German Edition)