Start by marking “Shepherd Avenue” as Want to Read:
Shepherd Avenue

Shepherd Avenue

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
When his mother dies and his grief-stricken father abandons him, 10-year-old Joey is sent to his father's parents, Connie and Angelo, where he becomes friends with his baseball-playing Uncle Vic and tomboy Mel, and meets other residents of the boisterous Italian American community in Brooklyn. (Nancy Pearl)
Published (first published September 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shepherd Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shepherd Avenue

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana TrigianiTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoBrava, Valentine by Adriana TrigianiVery Valentine by Adriana TrigianiLucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani
Italian-American Fiction
10th out of 35 books — 44 voters
Moneyball by Michael LewisBall Four by Jim BoutonThe Boys of Summer by Roger KahnShoeless Joe by W.P. KinsellaThe Natural by Bernard Malamud
Best Baseball Books
339th out of 462 books — 514 voters

More lists with this book...

Nenette
Oct 20, 2012 Nenette rated it really liked it
Charlie Carillo's first novel...not bad for starters, but I'm not raving as I did with his other works.

This is a coming of age story of a 10-year old boy who lost his mother and had to live with grandparents he hadn't met before, after his father left him for reasons he couldn't understand. At an awkward age, Joey was just a child and a bundle of emotions at the same time. Though it was a bit slow-paced, the plot was rich with characters and events that all had an effect on him.

I am on a roll
Diana Donnelly
Jan 25, 2015 Diana Donnelly rated it liked it
This story was about a 10-year-old boy who is dropped at his grandparents' after his mother's death. These are not grandparents that he knew at all and he's left there to deal with the loss of his mother and get to know them while his father wanders off to handle his own grief. He has an uncle who was living there and with whom he shared a bedroom. His uncle was high school age with high aspirations of becoming a professional baseball player. Little Joey learned much about life from him. Joey's ...more
Rune
Feb 06, 2015 Rune rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I'm a sucker for a coming-of-age story, and in this book Joey has to deal with the loss of his mother throught a hot summer on Sheperd Avenue.
An italian neighbourhood in New York, where he's placed with his grandparents (whom he's never met) while his father runs off to grieve.

Joey has to try and find his place in this strange, new world - where making friends isn't too easy, and everyone thinks that whatever's outside the neighbourhood will kill you.
Chris
Jan 25, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
This free Kindle book was interesting, held my attention, and was sad.
Richard Philbrick
Sep 09, 2012 Richard Philbrick rated it really liked it
Another book I picked up for free on the Kindle store, and what a delight. After his mother's death, Joey Ambrosio is left to live with his grandparents by his father, Sal. Sal needs to take time off to cope with his wife's death. Joey has a great deal to cope with, too: working through his grief and anger; forging a relationship with his grandparents and his uncle, people he hardly knows; and adjusting to the customs and habits of life in the Italian enclave in which his grandparents live. A to ...more
Carla Roehl-steinhaus
Feb 16, 2014 Carla Roehl-steinhaus rated it it was amazing
Very sad!!
Jeremiah Johnson
Sep 30, 2012 Jeremiah Johnson rated it really liked it
This book was harder to get into than the other books I've read by Carillo. That being said it was still a very good read.
I don't know how something as mundane as a story about a kid's life living with his grandparents could be so interesting, but it is.
Like his other books, the characters are fantastically written and you really love or hate them.
Very much looking forward to picking up One Hit Wonder soon.
Rick Schmidt
Aug 18, 2013 Rick Schmidt rated it really liked it
This was another excellent book by Charlie Carillo. Vivid characters with a great storyline. I liked the twists and turns that made the characters seem more real. Things happened to them that cemented their place as regular people with some good and some bad events in their lives. Certainly a reinforcement that you need to protect your family relationships as they are important.
Amazin2843
Dec 20, 2012 Amazin2843 rated it it was amazing
I loved the detailed description of Joey's growing up in one summer in his Brooklyn Grandparents home. It's awful to lose your mother, home in Roslyn, father for the summer, and end up with bickering relatives you didn't know existed. That is this book.
My only complaint is that I didn't care for the ending. It came too soon. I hoped for a couple more chapters.
Sara
Aug 17, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, is because it has many grammar and editorial mistakes, but the story, oh the story is so good! I really felt like I knew all the characters. I pictured them perfectly and I even heard their voices. Plus, I was sad when it ended, and that is always a good sign.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
This novel is fantastic. I want to know more about Joey's life after the end of the book!

I absolutely imagine many 5th graders loving this book, but I also imagine that their parents, teachers, and librarians would cringe at the obscenities used. I think a lot of 10-year-olds use the language, but who wants to admit that?
Darcy
Sep 25, 2012 Darcy rated it really liked it
Shepherd Avenue was a very good coming of age book. Carillo really evoked the Brooklyn neighborhood the young boy was dropped into after the death of his mother without making it seems stereotyped. This one was a free download on Kindle. Worth it.
Cissy
Jul 23, 2012 Cissy rated it really liked it
I read this because it was a freebie. I think it is probably the best of all of the free reads I have found for my kindle. Nice "coming of age" story. I wish the grandmother had been a little less mean.
Donna Ludovico
Jan 08, 2012 Donna Ludovico rated it really liked it
Reminded me of Lost in Yonkers. Felt sympathy for all the characters, each lost in their own pain brought on by disappointment and frustration and all taking it out on each other.
Jim
Jan 21, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
I can't explain, even to myself, why I enjoyed this book so much. Perhaps it touches something in all our childhoods.
Tom
Aug 02, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
Excellent book and story about an 11 year old boy and how he grieves for his mother who died of cancer.
Laina Tallerico
Jul 09, 2012 Laina Tallerico rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet story. It was real and it reiterated that life isn't always a fairytale.
Vicky
Jan 15, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-e-books
If this book hadn't been edited so badly I probably would have given it 5 stars.
Mary Beth
Jul 05, 2012 Mary Beth rated it liked it
A coming of age novel set in an Italian neighborhood in New York.
Lenora
Feb 05, 2012 Lenora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this novel about growing up Italian in 1960 Brooklyn, NY.
Sara Schaefer
Feb 27, 2012 Sara Schaefer rated it really liked it
A quick easy read. Wanted to read more.
Maryellen
Jan 22, 2013 Maryellen rated it really liked it
This was a good story with great characters!
Sheila
Jan 26, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved this book. Loved the story.
Karen Page
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison added it
kindle 299
michelle
michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2016
Laura Peichel
Laura Peichel marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • The Sun Zebra
  • Vada Faith
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • Kindred Crimes
  • Dream of a Spring Night (Hollow Reed, #1)
  • The Burned Tower
  • Cicada
  • Granny Heist
  • Memories
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn