Start by marking “Down” as Want to Read:
Down

Down

Remy has just been released from juvenile detention and is back in his old neighborhood. He went away because he severely assaulted a guy who insulted his girlfriend--Asia. As a white boy dating an immigrant, Remy has had to take a lot of the inbred racism that exists in the inner-city--from strangers, his family and even the police. When the white kids and the "outsiders" ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down

Chuck
This is a story about how making one bad decision can change your life forever. When Remy's girlfriend breaks up with him, he beats up the first person who stops to talk to him. When he gets out of detention, she already has a new boyfriend, but still wants to be his friend. Her new boyfriend, Marcus and Remy don't get along at all and fight whenever they see each other. When the cops get involved in their last fight Marcus is killed by the cops because Remy told them that he had a knife. Asia b ...more
Noah Rucks
May 15, 2016 Noah Rucks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response :
I read the book Down this book was very good. I liked how the book kept me reading with getting tired from the book. Overall I rate this book three stars.

Plot:
When Remy's girlfriend breaks up with him, Remy beats up a person who stops to talk to him. When Remy gets out of jail, she had a new boyfriend, but still wants to be friends with Remy. Her new boyfriend, Marcus doesn't get along with Remy and fight whenever they see each other. When the cops get involved in their last f
Jesseweaver
This book is very interesting. It showes that you can expect to get away with thingd. It also showes that violence isnt the answer to anything. I liked how the author made the book feel like it actually happened. It sounds like this book is based on a true story. I would recommend that you read it!
Danny
Jan 11, 2017 Danny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nour Alshurafa
After reading the book “Down” by Nora McClintock I found it very interesting book to read because there is some action in this book. The beginning of this book is very interesting because it kept pulling you to keep reading to find out what happens next. In the middle of the book was kind of confusing because it’s kind of hard to keep remembering the characters. I liked the book title because it got me interested to know what McClintock mean by down.
I think that the author did a great job on wr
Anna12r16
Jul 28, 2009 Anna12r16 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Back in a day Remy beaten up a guy from his school really bad for what he got sent away for nine months. While he was away a lot of things changed, Asia (his girlfriend) got a new boyfriend, his boys have some trouble with another crew of guys, school changed, the atmosphere at home changed(his mother and sister make it seems like he is not welcome at home anymore).
Remy got a job so he could buy some stuff and be independent from his mom and house, he didn't spend that much time anymore because
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

After being locked away, for causing a guy to end up in the hospital in critical condition, Remy is finally released back into his old world.

Remy thought that it was bad where he was sent, but being back home is much worse. Especially since the girl that he loved has now moved on, and his mom and sister look at him more like a criminal than a son or brother.

Now that he's out, though, Remy wants to turn his life around. He doe
Khadijaabdi
Dec 20, 2013 Khadijaabdi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Norah McClintock Book “down” This Book is about Remy beat up another teenage boy and got sent away to juvenile detention. Now he’s back and trying to figure out where he fit’s back into his old life, His girlfriend Asia moved on and found a new boyfriend “Marcus” his mother and sister hardly speak to him and don't even seem like they want him back home. Remy wants to keep his anger in check so he doesn't go back to juvenile detention again as the school and basketball courts down by the p ...more
Terry
Jun 22, 2009 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thin-reads
For such a short, straightforward book, "Down" was surprisingly rewarding. On the surface, it is James' account of his return to the neighborhood after doing nine months for beating another kid. It is also about regret and redemption and choices and their consequences. For those who might struggle with longer titles, like Monster, Always Running La Vida Loca Gang Days in L.A., or The Wanderers, this is a good read with plenty of meat. I'll want to investigate others in the Orca series.
Jamie
I'm reading this to my summer program students and I know they like it because they requested it yesterday after the long holiday weekend. It sets up easy predictions and inferences and the speedy plot line seems to appeal to them. While it's not great literature, it makes for a quick read-aloud and would be a handy recommendation for a reluctant reader.

I'd use this Orca Soundings series again with RLA-type kids. Someone with the Chicago Public Library is on to them, too, because my little Hyde
A Book Vacation
Jun 19, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting story about anger and racial hatred. I’m not too happy with the ending, but I guess it is realistic, and that is the point of these novels–to have a real life lesson. Overall I did enjoy this novel, and I think it was really interesting to see inside Remy’s head as he struggled with his anger and doing the right thing...

To see my full review:

Jared S
Jan 22, 2016 Jared S rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think the book DOWN by Norah McClintock was a terrible book. It was possibly the worst book I've ever read. This book was about how a boy named Remy and a girl named Asia who weren't talking to each other any more. When I read the beginning it explained how a Asia stop sending letters to her boyfriend and I didn't like that part at all. The book DOWN was terrible and I don't think people would ever want to read this book.
Ms. K-M
Remy returns to his neighborhood after spending nine months in prison. His ex-girlfriend Asia has a new boyfriend, Marcus. Remy's friend James doesn't like Marcus and his friends, and doesn't want them to play on what he thinks of as "his" ball court. Is there any way for the two groups to avoid a fight? Can Remy learn to control his anger? Or will he lose his freedom all over again?
Faith Redding
Nov 19, 2015 Faith Redding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was very interesting. It is a lot different than reading The Hunger Games or a nonfiction book. There were times in the book where the main character got forced into doing something. I would say the climax of the book would be when the cop got involved when there were fights. If you like mystery and exiting books, I recommend reading this book.
Brad
Nov 30, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good it was about a guy named Remy who just got back from jail for beating up a guy who made fun of his girlfriend Remy was in jail for nine months that experience has made him alot more calm and not looking for a fight.
Shawn Bird
Aug 28, 2014 Shawn Bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High interest, Low vocab novel from the Orca Soundings series.

Fast paced, believable narrator, reasonably realistic scenarios, nice, untidy ending.

Arin Lara
It has a very boring and weird at the begining. Throughout the story it gets more and more interesting.
Jaden Gonzalez
Jaden Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2014
Taite
Taite rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2013
Jalline flores
Jalline flores rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2013
Aaminah
Aaminah rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2014
William
William rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2008
Amal
Amal rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2008
JoRia
JoRia rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2010
Alissa
Alissa rated it really liked it
May 18, 2008
Guneet
Guneet rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Norah McClintock’s fascinating mysteries are hard to put down. Her Chloe & Levesque series, Mike & Riel series, and Robyn Hunter series, all published by Scholastic Canada, have been popular with readers in many countries. Norah has also written several crime novels for reluctant readers in the Orca Soundings series from Orca Book Publishers,

Norah is a five-time winner of the Crime Writer
More about Norah McClintock...