Start by marking “Maelstrom” as Want to Read:
Maelstrom

Maelstrom (Destroyermen #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,700 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
The final thrilling chapter in the “gripping and riveting”(S.M. Stirling, bestselling author of The Scourge of God) Destroyermen Trilogy.

Lieutenant Commander Matthew Reddy, along with the men and women of the U.S.S. Walker, are once again at war. Having sided with the peaceful Lemurians against the savage, reptilian Grik, they now find themselves scrambling to prepare for

Audiobook, Unabridged
Published March 25th 2009 by Tantor Audio (first published February 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Maelstrom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maelstrom

Mr. Matt
The author, I think, is ingeniously lazy. In a way it is brilliant. The premise of the Destroyermen series is that a mysterious vortex has pulled a decrepit WWII era destroyer, the USS Walker, into an alternative world where evolution has taken a different path.

The Americans are plopped into the midst of an existential conflict between the voracious, raptor-like, carnivorous Grik (bad guys) and the peaceful, mammalian Lemurians. Captain Reddy and the crew of the Walker, of course, side with the
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
I am loving this series. Maelstrom, the third installment in the Destroyermen series started slower than the others, but maintained that ever building sense of dread growing like a slow burn. When the real battle finally erupts ....oh... my.... God!

I've loved the war and battle scenes in this wonderful story, and this is the best one yet. An archeologist, historian and, believe it or not, a ballistics expert Anderson has threaded the needle between realistic warfare that matches reports from
David
Jan 19, 2016 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crazy Japanese captains, philosophical velociraptors, princesses at sea
I really enjoy the Destroyermen series, but man is Taylor Anderson milking this or what?

In book one, the USS Walker, an obsolete coal-burning destroyer dragged to an alternate Earth from 1942, along with her Japanese battlecruiser adversary, allied with a race of peaceful lemur-people against the reptilian Grik. In book two, the war against the Grik continued, with a few chapters told from the POV of the crazy Japanese captain and the evil Grik.

Book three, Maelstrom, is basically the next chapte
Donna
Mar 15, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
This is the 3rd book in the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. I stumbled on to this series last year and I have been surprised that I have enjoyed this so much because the first book was one of those books that was completely outside of my comfy box. And now I am ready to read the 4th one.

I think this book was my favorite one so far. First, I love the constant battle between good and evil that the author manages to depict so well. I loved the battle scenes. They completely drew me in. I al
Johnny
Nov 02, 2012 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third installment in the Destroyermen series, Maelstrom is packed with as much action as the two previous books. Captain Matthew Reddy, once relegated to command of a four-stacker, coal-burning WWI vintage destroyer in the Pacific theater of WWII, a ship destined to tow targets or train cadets if it had not been pressed into service as part of an asymmetrical effort against a superior force, has become the Commander-in-Chief of Allied forces in a world that would have impressed Edgar Rice Bu ...more
Gordon
Aug 25, 2012 Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: destroyermen
Maelstrom marks then end of the original Destroyermen Trilogy, and what an end it is; but its also a beginning, marking the end of the main plot and the start of a new one.

The behemoth Amagi; the Japanese Battle cruiser that chased of Walker and Mahan to begin with has followed them through the squall that brought them here. While the American's encountered the Lemurians, the Jap's met the Grik and while they initially were able to hold their own against them, the Grik saw worthy prey and made t
Bob Lamothe
Oct 11, 2016 Bob Lamothe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It just keeps getting better. It's clear that Taylor Anderson had an epic in mind when he created this series, here he finishes book three yet it's clear the story has only begun.

This story is insanely good. Taylor's biography tells that he's a history professor which is probably what makes his story so rich. His description of war seems so authentic, both sides trying to achieve an advantage over the other with each advantage seeming at times over whelming yet at others so fleeting. With the e
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Here we are, back in that parallel Earth occupied by cute and intelligent Lemurs (who turn out to be quite efficient soldiers) and those murderous, mindless, marauding lizards, the Griks. Our US sailors are doing a grand job defending the right whilst those nasty Japs have, logically, allied themselves with the dark side. All sarcasm aside, this is a very good read... what was initial entertainment-tinged-with-a-little-disbelief has, over the series, turned into engrossing and exciting reading. ...more
Neb
The writing has really evolved in this third book. Nice Hitchcockian use of suspense, holding us on the edges of our seats until we just about can't stand it! It will be interesting to see where we go with the new cultures and developments in established ones. Yes, the technological achievements seem a bit accelerated at times, what with the limitations present, but this is science-fiction, so I'm willing to cut some slack in the name of moving things along using the core characters, which is fa ...more
Neil
Aug 12, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Had a hard time putting it down for more important stuff [like dishes and laundry and yard work] that needed to be done. It had more chapters than the previous book, so that was also nice! :)

Third book in the series about two destroyers swept into an alternate reality by an odd squall during an epic battle in WWII. The humans try to find more allies while bringing their current Lemurian allies up to speed in terms of 'modern battle tactics' [as of WWII]; attempts ar
D.w.
Aug 22, 2010 D.w. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I first thought to give this book a little higher rating and then I thought of the things that still gnaw at me about this book and the series.

Density... If you open this book and flip through the pages you will see great swaths of exposition and not a lot to break them up. This is poor writing and a disservice to we readers. One thing is that action does not happen without people speaking. Especially in this environment. That has to be balanced with endless meeting dialogue. Somewhere the auth
Carl Alves
Jan 02, 2016 Carl Alves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maelstrom concludes a trilogy that ranks up as one of the best fantasy series I’ve ever read. Trapped in an alternate dimension, Captain Reddy is now the Supreme Commander of the allied forces made up of American Destroyer Men and various Lemurian nations against the reptilian Grik and the Japanese in their unholy alliance. Reddy and his team recruit more Lemurians to their alliance, and in the process come across human descendants of another ship that landed in this world a couple hundred years ...more
Sharon Michael
Jan 03, 2014 Sharon Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third of the series and perhaps the best so far. This is one series that gets better with each book instead of slowly tapering off. Also the author manages to bring in more 'civilizations' and people without confusing the reader ... something else not all authors manage well with so many people/species/civilizations to keep track of.
Scott
Apr 27, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow now what, can't wait for book IV
Sarah Shields
Apr 07, 2016 Sarah Shields rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Another great addition to the series. I really liked the suspense leading up to the battle in this one. The audio book really sucks you in, and so far, I just love the series.
JManInPhoenix
Oct 29, 2016 JManInPhoenix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great chapter in the destroyermen saga. It started well with "into the storm" and seems to get even better with each book.
Kat  Hooper
Jun 03, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

There’s just no rest for the weary. The destroyermen have had no time to search for other humans or to try to build their own community in their new parallel world because they’re still busy fighting for their lives. First there’s the Grik — the ugly reptilian species who keep attacking and trying to eat them. Then there’s the captain of the Japanese battlecruiser Amagi, who wants revenge on the destroyermen for damaging his ship. Even though the
Chadwick Saxelid
Jul 11, 2012 Chadwick Saxelid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The aptly titled Maelstrom brings the first cycle of Destroyermen stories to an exciting and terrifying close. Like the two books (Into the Storm and Crusade) that came before it, Maelstrom moves at a breakneck pace. A pace that refuses to give its ever shifting cast of characters a true moment of peace. There is always some terrible threat looming, or a fierce to-the-death battle with the Grik that needs to be fought.

None of the numerous cliffhanger situations feels the least bit contrived, th
Carl
Aug 13, 2013 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this would be 4 stars if not for an annoying habit of the author early on in his books in this series. He falls prey to telling not showing, particularly in inner monologues showing what his characters are thinking. Also he has a great deal of military minutia he wishes to share and uses the monologues for this purpose. they slow the beginnings of his books tremendously. when he reaches the middle of the books the pace quickens as does the writing and then and only then the Destroyermen books fl ...more
Alex
"Maelstrom is book #3 of the Destroyermen series. I liked it. It missed "I really liked it" by that much. I'm definitely going for the next book in the series.

The story: the USS Walker is a WWI destroyer that has fallen into an alternate universe and it must battle its nemesis, the Japanese cruiser Amagi. This is the battle that has been building up since book #2.

Any problems? Just like the second novel "Crusader" there is a lot of build up. The complaints I had about unlikeable rogues is gone.
Colin
Mar 26, 2015 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine continuation of the Destroyermen series, but boy it sure did take Mr. Anderson quite a while to actually get on continuing with the actual story. A very healthy portion of the first half of the book was dedicated to recapping events, however insignificant, that took place in the first and second books of the series. For those that did not read the first two books, this is highly advantageous. For those like myself that did read books one and two, this was enough to knock a star off the re ...more
Emily Karn
Oct 02, 2014 Emily Karn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Time Travel/Alternate History Fans
Recommended to Emily by: bookstore clerk
3rd in the Destroyermen series this book continues the saga of USS Walker, which was swept from the World War II Pacific, carrying Captain Matthew Reddy, and his crew to an alternate Earth were dinosaurs still exist. Walker's people have alied with the peaceful Lemurians against the horrific, warlike, reptillian Grik, but they are dangerously outnumbered and outgunned.

For the Japanese juggernat Amagi also transported to this world, is under grik control - and soon they will have amassed a force
Rob Trans
This is another interesting entry into the series. Captain Reddy and the Lemurians must figure out how to defend against the technologically evolving Grik/Japanese enemy. Will their ingenuity and spirit allow them to overcome the overwhelming numbers the enemy can field? Will they be victorious or will they have to retreat? We learn more about other people in this world and some of them are willing to offer support while others are not.

The novel spends too much time in the beginning recapping t
Joe Santoro
The conclusion of the 1st Destroyermen doesn't dissappoint, providing a climatic battle against the Grik and their Japanese allies, while setting up future stories with the discovery of a New British Empire that arrive a few hundred years before through a similar 'Squall'.

A good half the book was devoted to the battle against the Grik's 'Invinicible Swarm' and the Carrier Amagi, and it was a doozy!

My only minor complaint would be it was a little too easy... sure, there were damages, but somehow
Jaye
Mar 30, 2016 Jaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cracking great read!

This story finds the crew of Walker bound for the Philippines in search of new allies. On the way home, they recover the crew of a lost S-class submarine and some shipwreck survivors, including the heir to the New British throne (descendants of a British East India crew that arrived some 200 years earlier).

There are some stirring battles, as well as fine character interaction. These characters live and breathe, and their hurts and loves feel very real to me. I feel
Ruth
Apr 22, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Just as glad I waited to finish this, since this guy always has a bit of a hook in the end to make you want the next one. At least I won't have to wait...yet...

U.S.S Walker and crew finally finish off their hated Japanese foes in this alternate WWII universe - or did they? Sure, the Amagyi is sunk, but the Grik have the Japanese crew... The Grik have also been dealt a massive defeat - though not a mortal defeat - but the Americans lost their beloved Walker in the process. The Grik will be back;
Nathan
Sep 28, 2010 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this historical fiction action packed and addictive. It continues the story of the lost destroyermen to what was supposed to be its end, and it would have been a satisfying end...all things considered. The good news is that the author has published a fourth!

The three Destroyermen books felt like one to me. I enjoyed reading all of them, and have just purchased and am looking forward to reading the fourth. I really enjoy the characters, as well as how they are reacting to their new world.
David
Mar 30, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
I finished this one sand liked it, but I'm not certain WHY... I think there was some satisfaction that there was some resolution to the problems facing our heroes, and some hope presented-- and in reality-- a sort of conclusion to the story, even though we know it must go on.

The action sequences are well drawn out and exciting. The plan to recover from battle is clever and certain revelations about the world they live in are interesting. I can only hope that this series continues to improve.
Andrew
Mar 01, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice third, in it we finally got to see the big battle that was turned around in the last book and some plot points were beaten to death in this book that have been there since the first chapters of the first book. Overall i enjoyed the new characters introduced and am pleased with how the book turned out from start to finish. Poor walker, but we shall see what happens in the next book that i look forward to reading.
Joe Moley
Nov 15, 2010 Joe Moley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of the series so far... the characters are finally a bit more rounded out and easier to follow and the action is literally non-stop. Still filled with convenient and lucky happenings to save the day. Plus the ingenuity/ability to fabricate just about anything (waiting on the paragraph where they suddenly re-create the secret formula to Coke and fill their Coke machine once again) but these are small complaints. It's a fun series and I'm glad the storyline continues...
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1633 (Assiti Shards, #2)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (Multiverse, #2)
  • A Storm Upon Ulster
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Crusade (Destroyermen, #2)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • Blood in the Water (Destroyermen, #11)