Start by marking “Four Elements: Reflections on Nature” as Want to Read:
Four Elements: Reflections on Nature

Four Elements: Reflections on Nature

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the beloved author of the bestselling To Bless the Space Between Us and Anam Cara comes a new work that shares his insights on nature and the ancient wisdom of this earth.

John O'Donohue won hundreds of thousands of admirers with his now classic work on Celtic spirituality Anam Cara. Unfortunately he died suddenly at age fifty-two just as his book of blessings, To Bles
Published October 11th 2011 by Harmony (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Four Elements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Elements

Anne Hamilton
I think I was expecting a deep intimate exploration of the themes, instead of a wide, relatively shallow one. There were many ideas but they generally skated the surface before hurrying on, stream-of-consciousness, to a related topic.

Still, it was a gentle, easy read. I never did get my curiosity assuaged as to the repeated, unexplained description of Jesus as a stonemason, despite the entire section on Stone.

Some thoughts/information 'worth keeping':

Prayer has to do with breathing. ... Prayer a
Cornerofmadness
This book made me think two things: it’s a shame the author died relatively young and I should go look for his other works. It’s hard to put into words what this book really is. He was a poet and a philosopher so that should help a little in classifying it. These were separate essays he wrote in the 90’s and posthumously collecting into a book, each dealing with an element, earth, wind, fire water and viewing the world, the landscape and spirituality (somewhat fluid in terms of a religion, a hol ...more
Heather
I love John O'Donohue and was so sad to hear of his passing, but I just couldn't get through this book. I forced myself through halfway on reputation and had to stop. Not so much a disappointment as a kind of sadness about it. Lovely, gentle writing as always, just nothing to dig my teeth into.
writer...
Always a challenge to contemplative thinking, Irish poet and philosopher, John O'Donohue, brings spiritual understanding using concepts of air, water, fire, stone.. exploring aspects of air as applicably descriptive of Ruach Ha'kodesh - Holy Spirit ~ the breath of God.

O'Donohue's quote from a 13th century portion of a Persian prayer poem continues its resonance in me ~ "Be a full bucket pulled up the dark way
Of a well, then lifted out into light."

While not in agreement with every theological
Anita
The author writes in a manner that animates these elements of nature: air, water, fire and stone. One can almost hear the Irish lilt in these written words, and be magically transported into the great outdoors. It could be a fast read if you want to, but I just had to stop every so often and immerse myself in the embrace and reflections of nature. With so many subtle nuances to tune into, it is a most beautiful piece of work!
Chrissie
More brilliant writing by John O'Donohue. He has turned the four elements of nature into beautiful poetic beings, giving us a completely new perspective on them. He really made me look at and contemplate t hem in a different way. The mysticism and poetry in his words is just beautiful. I highly recommend it.
Rae
I am not going to review the other John O'Donohue books. He is a Celtic poet and philosopher. I have heard him interviewed by Krista Tippitt on NPR and really love what he has to say; however, he seems to be one of those 'single message' people and if you read one book, you kinda have read them all.
Moose
Feb 05, 2012 Moose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophy readers
Recommended to Moose by: Goodreads Giveaway
Philosophical, spiritual, and poetic--this entire book is a calm and peaceful reflection on how nature and the soul fit together. It was a lovely read but I suggest not reading it all together at once. It can become repetitive and lose some of it's beauty that way.
Carol
I won through this book through the Firstreads program. Thank you Goodreads! I find this is not a book to read from start to finish in one afternoon but rather one to keep on my nightstand to browse through a little bit from time-to-time.
Jillian Kuhns
Wonderfully written reflection of the elements and nature. The poems were beautiful.

Thank you Goodreads First Reads for the book!
Kathy Eckrich
Kathy Eckrich marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Maureen
Maureen is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Caithleen
Caithleen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Tish
Tish marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Tara Outman
Tara Outman marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
BlackbirdFrenzy Meagher
BlackbirdFrenzy Meagher is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Jacqueline Molenaar
Jacqueline Molenaar marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Larasestu Hadisumarinda
Larasestu Hadisumarinda is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Auston Miles
Auston Miles marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • Carmina Gadelica: Hymns and Incantations from the Gaelic
  • Original Blessing
  • Illuminated Prayers
  • Spirituality for the Skeptic: The Thoughtful Love of Life
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.
More about John O'Donohue...
Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings Eternal Echoes: Celtic Reflections on Our Yearning to Belong Beauty: The Invisible Embrace Conamara Blues: Poems

“Reflection comes between us and every other person and object in the world. An object or a person can be reflected in so many different ways. Yet the heart of an object or the essence of the heart can never be reflected. All faith and creativity is the hunger to cross over this frontier, it is the desire for pure and total encounter and belonging. Love is an affair between a reflection and its object.” 7 likes
“All the animals and creatures of this earth are our former brothers and sisters but because we believe that we have "dominion" over them, we have become cruel little emperors.” 2 likes