Start by marking “Gallipoli” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gallipoli

Peter Hart

Gallipoli

One of the most famous battles in history, the WWI Gallipoli campaign began as a bold move by the British to capture Constantinople, but this definitive new history explains that from the initial landings--which ended with so much blood in the sea it could be seen from airplanes overhead--to the desperate attacks of early summer and the battle of attrition that followed, i ...more
Published September 7th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gallipoli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallipoli

Nick Lloyd
This book, while a very thorough and informative history, was painfully frustrating to read in some places. Though the author does provide a good deal of insight into the Gallipoli campaign, he relies far too heavily on copy-pasted journal passages. To me, this is bad historiography. There is nothing wrong with using first hand accounts, and in some places it is very helpful to painting a picture of the battle scenes. However, Hart relies on this far, far too much. In some parts of the book, mor ...more
Ross Hamilton
Here in Australia we are more used to seeing books on Gallipoli presenting a much more Anzac-centric focus on the Dardenelles campaign of 1915. It comes as a surprise to some to learn that the Australian and New Zealand troops were just one part of the multi-national Mediterranean Task Force and greatly outnumbered by British troops. Also making up the force were French, Indian and even troops from New Foundland (although the latter do not get a mention from Hart).

It is also not as well apprecia
Dwight
Jan 09, 2015 Dwight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-1
Mr. Hart’s first words in the preface: “Gallipoli. It was a lunacy that never could have succeeded, an idiocy generated by muddled thinking…” and so begins the book he never should have had to write if not for Churchill (the lunacy?), David Lloyd George (the idiocy?), Admiral Fisher (the muddled thinking?) and a cast of pushovers in England’s war cabinet who opted for an adventure in the Dardanelles.

Is he wrong? No, but the practice of collectively and specifically stating the futility of every
happy
Jan 12, 2013 happy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Hart makes very good use of first person accounts to tell the story of the ill fated adventure in the Dardanelles. He tells both sides of the story, using diary entries from the lowest private to the leaders of both sides.

He is very scathing of the strategic thinking that led the invasion. His contention is that the invasion had absolutely 0 change of success.
He also blasts British planning and staff work through out the course fo the campaign. His contention that about the only planning th
Jack
Another one down. The Gallipoli campaign is another fascinating saga of WWI. Desperate to relieve the pressure on the Russians and somehow defeat the Central Powers, the allied forces were looking for anywhere to strike. This was a Churchill idea. I found this one startlingly similar to his "strike at the soft underbelly of the Axis" which would occur one world war later. Pure Churchill. Unfortunately, this one did not work. I found the British endeavors in the Middle East belonging to romantic ...more
Edward Sullivan
A thoroughly detailed, vividly written chronicle of the disastrous World War I campaign, written by the Oral Historian with the Imperial War Museum.
Frank Theising
Jul 29, 2016 Frank Theising rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war-wwi
The Gallipoli campaign in WWI is largely unheard of in the United States (anecdotally, I had multiple people mispronounce the name while asking me what the book was about). In contrast, Gallipoli has a mythical, mysterious stranglehold on the imaginations of the people of Australia. When my wife and I visited Australia in 2012 we saw countless monuments and memorials about it. The 1981 movie of the same name (one of Mel Gibson’s earliest film roles) followed two Australian men who sign up to ser ...more
Bryan Alexander
May 02, 2015 Bryan Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, world-war-i
This is a splendid history of the World War One Gallipoli campaign (1915).

I read this as part of my ongoing WWI obsession, and timed to the centenary, as the campaign began one hundred years to the week I started working through Hart's account. I wasn't confident of my Gallipoli knowledge, so this helped fill me in.

The book is chronologically organized, straightforwardly taking the reader from the first conception of an Allied descent on the heart of the Ottoman empire through the key military p
Michael
May 25, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dardanelles campaign of 1915 was an attempt by the Allies of The Great War to seize control of the Dardanelles (the strait connecting the Aegean Sea and the Sea of Marmara) located in Turkey, then called the Ottoman Empire. On the northern shore of the Dardanelles is the peninsula of Gallipoli, the seizure of which was necessary for the campaign to be successful.

The landings at Gallipoli were heroically made by British, French, Australian and New Zealand troops (among others). Just as heroi
Alex Milledge
Jul 22, 2014 Alex Milledge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book on accident thinking I would be reading Alan Moorehead's Gallipoli, and at first I was reading it very hesitantly, but I thought it looked decent to read and would say the same thing as Moorehead's book.

The book started off calling the operation a failure, and ended with the author declaring the operation a failure. I think it was unfair to call the operation hare-brained from the onset before I read the book, but I think I ultimately came to the same conclusion as the author
Leigh Clayton
Apr 02, 2013 Leigh Clayton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww1
A very thorough account of the Gallipoli campaign from the accomplished military historian Peter Hart.
The use of personal accounts from the French, British, Anzac and Turkish forces brings the battle to life and helps convey to the reader the true horrors of war and the pointless loss of life.
Peter Hart is very direct in his analysis of the conflict and is not afraid to name and shame the generals and politicians who sent so many young men to their deaths in 1915.
He also tries to de-bunk the myt
Jimmy
Aug 10, 2015 Jimmy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-i
The parts describing the battle weren't too bad. There were two things about the book I didn't like. One: it seemed like too much of the book was simply block quotes from Allied soldiers (sometimes filling half the page or more). While some quotes from participants might be useful in establishing what fighting a battle or campaign was like, Mr. Hart probably took it to the extreme in this book.

Two: Hart almost completely ignored the Ottoman side, their tactics, how their high command viewed the
Michael Wills
Apr 21, 2015 Michael Wills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically, if you lost family in the Gallipoli Campaign, (as I did), this book tells you everything you did not want to know about the astounding waste of human lives and the spellbindingly incompetant military strategy which attended it.

The book is a first class expose of the sequence of a British and Empire military disaster, from the first landing to the humilating evacuation. The book is very long, (necessarily), extremely detailed, but for me, rivetting.

I cannot say that I enjoyed reading
Diane
Aug 23, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
This new history of the famous World War I battle focuses extensively on first-person accounts. The author weaves an interesting story, although there is more detailed discussion of the tactical maneuvers in the battle than I thought necessary. The sections on the strategy and outcome of the battle were more interesting. Also, although the author was a good writer overall, I thought he relied on cliches in many parts of the book, which weakened his story telling.
Phillip
Dec 31, 2014 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hart again succeeds.

Weaving a tale using first hand accounts, Peter Hart really gets to the nub of the whole Gallipoli campaign. It was a waste of lives and time and certainly seemed to prolong the war rather than shorten it.

I wish Australia wasn't so obsessed with this as our creation myth.
Jan
Jun 05, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really striking use of original documentation to produce the narrative of key events; placed the soldiers' experience centre stage. At times over focussed on narrative, but good analysis, forceful arguments; all round excellent read.
Curt
Jan 26, 2013 Curt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read two accounts of the battle of Gallipoli and they had hardly touched on the involvement of countries other than ANZAC forces. It made the battle that much more interesting to learn of the commitment of Allied forces.
Jwest87
Apr 26, 2015 Jwest87 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The amount of sources used in this book is tremendous. It really brings the campaign and tragedy to life. I wouldn't recommend it to people who are new to Gallipoli, but if you have at least a basic understanding of it, try it out.
Stewart McFarlane
Sep 29, 2013 Stewart McFarlane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched. The passages from letters from soldiers on the Turkish side as well as the Allies, were fascinating. The whole account reveals the incompetence and disregard for life of senior British military and political leaders.
Melanie
Somewhat cumbersome in its detail but an interesting analysis of the doomed Gallipoli campaign.
Dan G
Dec 19, 2014 Dan G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hart presents us with a fine overview of the disastrous British attempt to knock the Ottoman Empire out of World War I by invading the Gallipoli Peninsula.
Val
Bright Young Things nomination for April 2015
Cliff
Jul 16, 2012 Cliff rated it it was amazing
The author used extensive personal accounts to help illustrate the debacle that was Gallipoli.
Michael Confoy
Mar 05, 2015 Michael Confoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made why the campaign occurred and what happened during the campaign understandable.
Brad
May 23, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. Even with my college level education the vocabulary the author used was beyond my level. There were a lot of words I couldn't even pronounce let alone define!
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Mark Simmons
Mark Simmons rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Stella Alexander
Stella Alexander rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2017
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Gallipoli
  • The Eastern Front 1914-1917
  • They Called It Passchendaele
  • With Our Backs to the Wall: Victory and Defeat in 1918
  • A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire
  • Ring Of Steel: Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I
  • Forgotten Victory - The First World War: Myths and Reality
  • The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919
  • Gallipoli
  • The Russian Origins of the First World War
  • Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front 1914-1918
  • Hundred Days: The Campaign That Ended World War I
  • Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914
  • The Marne, 1914: The Opening of World War I and the Battle That Changed the World
  • The Great War in Africa: 1914-1918
  • Wounded: From Battlefield to Blighty, 1914-1918
  • The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916
  • Mud, Blood, and Poppycock: Britain and the Great War
Peter Hart is a British military historian.

He grew up in Stanhope, 1955–1962; Barton under Needwood, 1962–1964 and Stone, 1964–1967.He moved to Chesterfield and attended School there from 1967–1973 and Liverpool University, from 1973–1976. He then did a post-graduate teaching course at Crewe & Alsager College, 1976–1977 and finally post-grad librarianship at Liverpool Polytechnic, 1979–1980. H
More about Peter Hart...