Start by marking “From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips and Secrets for Formatting Your Text in MS Word and Converting Your Document to a Kindle Ebook” as Want to Read:

Published (first published July 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about From Word to Kindle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Word to Kindle

Leah Wescott
Mar 15, 2014 Leah Wescott rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness for Aaron Shepard. He tucks you under his wing and flies you past all the BS. He's the king of parsimony - the finest butcher who shaves all the fat out of a confusing process and leaves you with just the lean necessities. I'm ready to brush the dust off my old manuscript and edit the hell out of it. The rest looks like it will be the easy part. Thank you, Aaron!
Blaine Moore
Sep 30, 2013 Blaine Moore rated it liked it
This books provides a good primer on some of the ways that you can use Microsoft Word to get a halfway decent Kindle book into the marketplace, but it isn't the workflow that I'd use. I think that when combined with his HTML Fixes for Kindle book you'll actually be able to put together a pretty decent book, but I don't agree with all of his stylistic choices and defaults and think that he's lacking a bit of the final finesse that makes a Kindle Book truly enjoyable to read.

If you are starting f
Grampy
Feb 23, 2014 Grampy rated it really liked it
"From Word to Kindle" by Aaron Shepard is a short but reasonably comprehensive guide to self-publishing on Amazon. Mr. Shepard offers a plethora of handy tips for formatting your document in Word, regardless of which version you have. His experiences in creating documents in Word for publication in a format Kindles can read has shown him many ways to simplify the process. Having never published anything myself, I cannot testify as to the efficacy of these tips, but they certainly sound helpful. ...more
Kathy Steinemann
Sep 28, 2013 Kathy Steinemann rated it really liked it
Note: This book is for intermediate to advanced users of Word.

Aaron's advice is solid. It'll help anyone confused by the formatting issues caused by Word, html idiosyncrasies, or various versions of the Kindle reader. I learned a few things I didn't know, and I highlighted them for future reference. Although I watched for typos as I read, I couldn't find many.

I disagree on a couple of minor points - a matter of personal preference. And I don't like Aaron's use of typographic devices or his pract
Sally Melia
May 07, 2015 Sally Melia rated it really liked it
I was having problems with formatting my kindle ebook so I did a quick Amazon search and found this.

Aaron Shepard provides a perfect quick read and how to guide for those trying to perfect their kindle e-book. The books provides in valuable advice on how to change your settings on Word, all of the main problems and how to overcome them.

He correctly points out that any document created in Word or other publishing platform will have faults unless you use the correct approach.

Well worth it at 1.99.
David Spell
Sep 11, 2015 David Spell rated it liked it
Great info for the price but ...

A ton of good information but would have appreciated more examples. I'm not an expert in Word so it would be great to have more step by step instructions. This book reads more like a lengthy explanatory email rather than a valuable resource. I'd suggest to the author at the very least to include an appendix of settings we could refer to as we draft our books.
J. Rice
Mar 19, 2016 J. Rice rated it liked it
I don't want to give this book a bad review or give anyone a bad opinion of the book, it just wasn't that helpful for me. Most of the content I had already read in other locations and didn't find anything really new. But if someone is looking to get started and want to find the same information I used in a single location then this book is good for that.
Beverlee  Couillard
Lots of good information here. I finished it quickly, then keep going back and rereading. It is helpful. It's on my "Keep This One Handy," shelf. I'd rather have it in paperback. Lots of help here. I'm glad I bought it.
Wilani Wahl
Aug 18, 2014 Wilani Wahl rated it liked it
The only good thing that came out of this book is that I now know it will be best to pay a formatter to get my book when it is ready to be published switched from word to kindle. This book left me feeling very overwhelmed and confused, But then I am not a computer expert or an expert in Word
Lynn Hubbard
Lynn Hubbard rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Michael Bee
Michael Bee rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Ronald Newton
Ronald Newton rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
S.a. Cranfill
S.a. Cranfill rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Israel Galindo
Israel Galindo rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Jerry Humphrey
Jerry Humphrey rated it it was ok
May 18, 2014
Anthony Lyon
Anthony Lyon rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
David Griffiths
David Griffiths rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2017
Scarlet Cassadine
Scarlet Cassadine rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Gavin Whyte
Gavin Whyte rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Abdur-Raheem Modan
Abdur-Raheem Modan rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
brivera22
brivera22 rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Nicholas P. Belowch, Jr.
Nicholas P. Belowch, Jr. rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2014
Welshofer
Welshofer rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2015
Lanceholland
Lanceholland rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Fran Rybarik
Fran Rybarik rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Layne
Layne rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Patricia Haas
Patricia Haas rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Vicki Johnson
Vicki Johnson rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2016
  • How to Write a Fiction Novel in 30 Days
  • How to Self-Publish a Book on Amazon.com: Writing, Editing, Designing, Publishing, and Marketing
  • How to Publish an eBook on a Budget - An Author's Guide
  • Mugging the Muse
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Your Novel, Day by Day:  A Fiction Writer's Companion
  • Kindle Fire How To
  • Little by Little: A Writer's Education
  • How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Plots, Characters and Complications
  • Is Your Chair Killing You?
  • Slow Your Prose
  • Paleo Diet Slow Cooker 52 Healthy Gluten Free Recipes
  • The Fastest Growing Religion on Earth: How Genealogy Captured the Brains and Imaginations of Americans
  • Cohesive Story Building