Start by marking “From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips and Secrets for Formatting Your Text in MS Word and Converting Your Document to a Kindle Ebook (Version 2)” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published (first published July 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about From Word to Kindle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Word to Kindle

Grampy
"From Word to Kindle" by Aaron Shepard is a short but reasonably comprehensive guide to self-publishing on Amazon. Mr. Shepard offers a plethora of handy tips for formatting your document in Word, regardless of which version you have. His experiences in creating documents in Word for publication in a format Kindles can read has shown him many ways to simplify the process. Having never published anything myself, I cannot testify as to the efficacy of these tips, but they certainly sound helpful. ...more
Leah Wescott
Thank goodness for Aaron Shepard. He tucks you under his wing and flies you past all the BS. He's the king of parsimony - the finest butcher who shaves all the fat out of a confusing process and leaves you with just the lean necessities. I'm ready to brush the dust off my old manuscript and edit the hell out of it. The rest looks like it will be the easy part. Thank you, Aaron!
Blaine Moore
This books provides a good primer on some of the ways that you can use Microsoft Word to get a halfway decent Kindle book into the marketplace, but it isn't the workflow that I'd use. I think that when combined with his HTML Fixes for Kindle book you'll actually be able to put together a pretty decent book, but I don't agree with all of his stylistic choices and defaults and think that he's lacking a bit of the final finesse that makes a Kindle Book truly enjoyable to read.

If you are starting f
Kathy Steinemann
Note: This book is for intermediate to advanced users of Word.

Aaron's advice is solid. It'll help anyone confused by the formatting issues caused by Word, html idiosyncrasies, or various versions of the Kindle reader. I learned a few things I didn't know, and I highlighted them for future reference. Although I watched for typos as I read, I couldn't find many.

I disagree on a couple of minor points - a matter of personal preference. And I don't like Aaron's use of typographic devices or his pract
Wilani Wahl
The only good thing that came out of this book is that I now know it will be best to pay a formatter to get my book when it is ready to be published switched from word to kindle. This book left me feeling very overwhelmed and confused, But then I am not a computer expert or an expert in Word
Noelle
Keep going back to again and again.
Doug Bremner
great for authors trying to self publish ebooks.
Chad Torgerson
It helps take an eBook to the next level.
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Kelley Taylor
Kelley Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lora Allen
Lora Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Bruce Moffatt
Bruce Moffatt marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Brina Brady
Brina Brady marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • How to Self-Publish a Book on Amazon.com: Writing, Editing, Designing, Publishing, and Marketing
  • Mugging the Muse
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story
  • Getting the Words Right
  • You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
  • Little by Little: A Writer's Education
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Volunteer: A Traveller's Guide to Making a Difference Around
  • Practical Duct Tape Projects
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • A Fresh Look at Greed
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • The Lotus Files
  • Herbs Gone Wild! Ancient Remedies Turned Loose
Aiming at Amazon: The New Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing Monkey: A Superhero Tale of China, Retold from The Journey to the West The Legend of Lightning Larry The Baker's Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale The Business of Writing for Children: An Award-Winning Author's Tips on Writing Children's Books and Publishing Them