Start by marking “The Animals in that Country” as Want to Read:
The Animals in that Country

The Animals in that Country

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published March 1969 (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Animals in that Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animals in that Country

2.5 stars.

Not as strong as some of her later collections, but I still enjoyed it. I am totally into reading Atwood's early work (particularly the poetry) and seeing the seeds of her later work.
A lighter (perhaps less complex?) collection of Atwood poetry, less about people and relationships and more about nature. I thought I was connecting less with this, yet in the end was left feeling quite deliciously satisfied.
This is one of those Atwoods I read in the summer of '99 and thought was good, although maybe it doesn't dive as deep as some of her other works. This book starts to delve into the subjects she would find interesting later--power imbalances between men and women, eco-consciousness, and political/humanitarian problems.
Dec 03, 2013 Maddy added it
I read this when I was young (as it's in my mom's bookcase), I still remember "Every time I hit the keys/on my electric typewriter/another village explodes."

Now that's great poetry, right up there with "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each/I do not think that they will sing to me."
Mar 25, 2010 R. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Doesn't read like poetry from 40+ years ago. The seedlings for Onyx and Cake are evident in the title piece, "Speeches for Dr. Frankenstein" and "Elegy for giant tortoises" among others.
Atwood's second* volume of poetry and, to my mind, her greatest.

*third, fourth, FIFTH (kidding) -- Some of us can't afford expensive, limited edition collections of poetry!
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Mirela Vaduva
Mirela Vaduva marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Theresa Tapp
Theresa Tapp marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Divya marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
M - Cloak-Life
M - Cloak-Life marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Adam added it
Aug 02, 2015
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Julia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Hajoop added it
Sep 05, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Erin added it
Apr 24, 2015
Rachael marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Marya marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Grace Bosley
Grace Bosley marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
FABClub (Female A...: The Animals in that Country group discussion 14 14 Jan 27, 2015 07:33PM
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr
More about Margaret Atwood...

“If he had known unstructured
space is a deluge
and stocked his log house-
boat with all the animals

even the wolves,

he might have floated.

But obstinate he
stated, The land is solid
and stamped,

watching his foot sink
down through the stone
up to his knee.

From "Progressive insanities of a pioneer”
“No wires tender even as nerves
can transmit the impact of
our seasons, our catastrophes
while we are closed inside them”