The Animals in that Country

The Animals in that Country

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Paperback
Published March 1969 (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Animals in that Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animals in that Country

SmarterLilac
This is one of those Atwoods I read in the summer of '99 and thought was good, although maybe it doesn't dive as deep as some of her other works. This book starts to delve into the subjects she would find interesting later--power imbalances between men and women, eco-consciousness, and political/humanitarian problems.
Maddy
Dec 03, 2013 Maddy added it
I read this when I was young (as it's in my mom's bookcase), I still remember "Every time I hit the keys/on my electric typewriter/another village explodes."

Now that's great poetry, right up there with "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each/I do not think that they will sing to me."
R.
Mar 25, 2010 R. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Doesn't read like poetry from 40+ years ago. The seedlings for Onyx and Cake are evident in the title piece, "Speeches for Dr. Frankenstein" and "Elegy for giant tortoises" among others.
Sebastian
Atwood's second* volume of poetry and, to my mind, her greatest.

*third, fourth, FIFTH (kidding) -- Some of us can't afford expensive, limited edition collections of poetry!
RachyCareBear
RachyCareBear marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Kiersten Hall
Kiersten Hall marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jazzy D
Jazzy D marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Sari
Sari marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
S Cook
S Cook marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Saynototheflow
Saynototheflow marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Charmaine Smith
Charmaine Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr...more
More about Margaret Atwood...
The Handmaid's Tale Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) The Blind Assassin The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2) Alias Grace