Start by marking “A Touch of Ice (Everly Gray Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Ice (Everly Gray Adventures, #1)

A Touch of Ice (Everly Gray Adventures #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  772 ratings  ·  101 reviews
From USA Today Bestselling Author, L. j. Charles:
Everly Gray's fingers are a magnet for trouble.

When she touches photographer Mitchell Hunt and sees the image of a dead body, she dives into the murder fingertips first. Life takes a turn for the dangerous when she discovers the body is related to a small-time crime family that accidentally stepped on the toes of notoriou
Published September 10th 2011 by Amentino Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch of Ice

Jill  Lynn
Know what this novel needs? MORE READERS! It is a sparkling gem of a book with a great premise, awesome characterization, and stellar writing. Main character Everly Gray has a gift, although she doesn't always see it that way. When Everly touches people with her fingertips, she sees images of their lives. Her psychic fingers, which she refers to as her "hinky touch thing", come in handy in her profession as a personal coach, but as far as social situations, she's become a bit of a recluse. She g ...more
The editing, or lack thereof, really irritated me throughout the entire book. Besides funky margins, there were typos (i.e. commas in random places), grammatical errors, and a few other things (maybe even a sudden switch of character names) that really bothered me. So for ratings - editing: 1, story 3.

The premise of the book is very interesting, although the author mainly skips over Everly's life prior to what takes place during this time frame. It didn't really make sense to me why El (don't ge
Carol Piner
I knew that L. J. Charles was from the South the first time I saw the word "Damn" used like it was an entire sentence. You see, down here we have the gift of emphasis bred into our very bones from our Mamas and our GrandMamas. They used that word a lot when they stared at us through the glass door standing there with a policeman. Damn. Another hint was the total irreverance of the humor. Thank you for getting that humor into writing. We are all in a better place for it.

Her novel, A Touch of Ice,
Interesting book. Nice premise with her "magic fingers." My only criticism is the opposite of what I would normally say. I often sigh in frustration at books that are written from what is called "deep point of view." In other words, you get every thought, every quivering, every anxiety that ever enters the characters mind. IMO, most of those books go overboard in helping you understand the inner workings of the main character. This book tries to do that but I don't know, it was missing something ...more
I got the eBook version for free on Amazon, so I decided to give it a try.

This book felt like it kept going and going and going. And then it was suddenly over. It kept my interest, for the most part. The story was interesting enough, but there were a few sections that just dragged on and pulled me out of the story for a bit.

Another thing that pulled me out of the story was the editing mistakes. I'm not sure if the book was even edited at all. There were many typos and grammatical errors that re
I purchased this one in a bundle with the second book an a novella. Overall, I liked the story and the premise. I think Everly's gift is developing and becoming stronger and more intense. Mitchell is a good guy but I think he is too nice. I am intrigued by the ending and hope this is a seque for a relationship with Pearce.

The book is not a gripping intense mystery/thriller. The story is about El and her evolving gift and what it means to her, her life, and how it affects her relationships with
Janet L. Hage
Good enough to be read at least twice which I have

This book has it all sexy redhead clairvoyant that reads people with the tips of her fingers, best friend who is a PI, hot photographer boyfriend working for a secret organization, government agencies, bad guys, really bad guys, police and a ditsy patient of the redhead's. All together makes for a fast moving romance, mystery, action, thriller. Well drawn characterization add to story line. Adult readers . Sexual content is mild but violence is c
Oct 21, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 10/21/2012
Wendy Hines
Everly Gray has ESP fingers. Everything she touches, material items and people, gives her a glimpse of something in the past, the present or the future. She doesn't date much because her dates usually end in disaster when they touch her and she 'sees' something disturbing that turns her off.

Her best friend, Violet, is a private investigator. Violet knows about Everly's gift but not many others do. When Everly has a bad vision about herself as an old woman in a rocking chair, they go to the beac
Adrienne Testa
Everly Gray as the ability to see visions with her finger tips. Problem with this story is it is so convoluted through the first half of the book, the reader would give up before it straightens out. The author is trying to tell a story and give too much info all at once that gets confusing, Everly becomes part Stephanie Plum and part Eve Dallas until the last five chapters of the story.
Everly's friend and neighbor Violet has secrets, a PI who retired from being a sniper. The town's cop is her b
This has been quite a week for me to be reading books set in my home state of North Carolina. This marks the second book I'm reviewing this week, alone.

A Touch of Ice was brought to my attention by the blog "Pixel of Ink" when it was available for free. I read it, and am giving it two stars because two stars qualify as "it was ok", an it was ... okay.

This book follows the tale of a sort of psychic person named Everly Gray, who also goes by the nickname, El. She lives and works in what I am led t
Jeanie Jackson
Delightfully intriguing books about friendship, intrigue, romance and a little touch of ….something special. Everly Gray has been almost hiding in her home for the last 10 years. She has a little problem; she has a psychometric talent. Imagine never being able to visit a hospital for fear of accidentally touching something that has been part of a tragedy. Imagine never being able to touch someone you care about without being afraid of invading their privacy. Every person and thing she touches se ...more
Denise Zendel
Everly Grey, the main character, is a 20-something life coach who is able to “see” things when she touches objects or people with her fingertips. Her partner in crime, Violet, is a suburban private eye – or is she? Violet knows about Everly’s gift and loves her all the same.

Everly has a disturbing dream of an old, regret-filled woman sitting in a rocking chair, tormented by choices not made and paths not taken. She figures out it’s her in the rocking chair and she makes a conscious decision to
Mandy Blake
I really wish I could give this book 0 stars. The writing was all over the place and extremely difficult to follow. No flow whatsoever. Nor character development. The author would veer off on random plot lines, like she was just throwing random thoughts out, but they never materialized into anything. The narrator/antagonist was just annoying. Damsel in distress with zero confidence in herself, looking to others for support, and just awkward. She honestly just sounded like an idiot most of the ti ...more
Tamela Kerr/Sides
4 stars

Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I usually rate books I like high. I take stars off for things in the book I don't like. In particular the use of "y'all"as a singular instead of a plural. Big pet peeve of mine. Usually I take off more than one star for this, but the book was just too good to do that.
I have ready the sample of this book so many times, I actually thought I read to book. I purchased the box set for my nook on sale because I needed a long read for a road trip.

After I realized I had not read them, I was HOOKED!!! I love all of the characters in this read. El is the main character and cannot control her curiosity. She has a magic "touch" that allows her to see the actions of others when she touches them with her fingertips. In this book she helps find a killer and almost becomes
Elizabeth Witt
Confusing read

It seemed the author just wrote words instead of weaving a mystery. I found myself constantly going back and re -reading chapters because I got lost or something didn't make sense. Characters and plots that came from nowhere and were left up to the reader to figure out. Don't know if I'll try another book from this author again.
Nurse... please record the time of death at 21%. The patient did not survive this train wreck even though I did CPR for a good while. ~Dr. Reader

This story has me conflicted. I like the idea of the heroine getting images from touching things, but the way the author tells the story makes it irritatingly unbelievable. The four characters introduced in the first 1/5th of the book say and do things that don't make any realistic sense. If these were real people in my life, I'm pretty sure I'd be star
Creative Excitement

I love this writer's personal creative style. Haven't come across it before. In this type of novel anyway. Couldn't put the story down. Seen it in the movies many times but I was still on the edge of my seat throughout this story.
I am looking forward to reading the next one.
Liz Wood
Good fast paced

I enjoy Everly's lifestyle, and the relationship between her and Violet...special friendships make life wonderful. It is also nice to restrained sex...don't get me wrong, I think sex is an important part of a relationsip, but it's nice to see slow for a change.
A series I stumbled across.
I read all the kay hooper bishop crime books and was hoping that this would have the same feel. This is a lighter version still held my interest.
El is a closet esp girl who starts to break out if her comfort zone and starts using her gift.
Romantic mystery with a twist. The heroine "sees" things that have happened when she touches both people and things, which makes relationships difficult. When she finally finds a man who can deal with her unusual ability, she ends up in the middle of a bad situation.

Just enough humor to be a great murder mystery. The main character has esp in her finger tips and enough curiosity to kill a dozen cats. Excellent and looking forward to book two.
Excellent! A great plot, great characters, well written suspense, and I love the heroine, main character with her 'special' talent/gift. There was wonderful humor along with the scary parts. Loved it!
This author has a unique writing style. It took a while to adapt to it and there were some minor editing errors throughout the book. Over all, Everly Gray is a very likeable and the story has a good plot.

Enjoyed how the author weaved her characters together and kept the reader wanting to keep turning the pages to discover just what those fingertips retrieved.
Cindy Cunningham
Too telling

Too much telling here rather than showing...I couldn't get a grasp on the characters even if they had potential. Don't think I will follow this series.
Trish Waters
The Everly Gray series is a fun read. I usually read suspense mysteries, police procedural books with a dark side so I need to "cleanse" my brain from time to time with something lighter.
I really liked all the characters they are interesting and have enough of a unexplored back story to make me want to read more, but weren't so mysterious as to make me feel disconnected. The story itself was interesting and the touch thing El has is different enough that I didn't feel like I was reading the same plot I have read a million times before.

I kind of hate the whole maybe love triangle thing. I don't know why but it reminded me of the Stephanie Plum/Joe/Ranger thing which I found exha
Reading :)
A good story, an easy read with a difference. a girl with hidden talents gets caught up inadvertently in some adventures in detective story with humour.
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • A Cutthroat Business (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #1)
  • Let Us Prey (Gotcha Detective Agency Mysteries, #1)
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • The Wicked Wager
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Absolute Liability (A Southern Fraud Thriller, #1)
  • The Ghost Exterminator (Karmic Consultants, #2)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Eve of Destruction
  • The Legend of Lady Maclaoch
  • The Witch's Stone
  • Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1)
  • To the Princess Bound (Terms of Mercy, #1)
  • Crescent Bound (Crescent Bound, #1)
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)

Everly Gray Adventures (7 books)
  • a Touch of TNT (Everly Gray #2)
  • a Touch of the Past
  • a Touch of Betrayal (Everly Gray Adventures #4)
  • To Touch Poison (The Everly Gray Adventures)
  • A Touch of Revenge (Everly Gray Adventures #6)
  • a Touch of Intrigue (Everly Gray Adventures #7)
a Touch of TNT (Everly Gray #2) To Touch a Thief (Everly Gray Adventures #2.5) a Touch of the Past a Touch of Betrayal (Everly Gray Adventures #4) A Touch of Revenge (Everly Gray Adventures #6)